UND's new nickname?

No smack talk is allowed here.

UND's new nickname?

Postby old#63 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:33 am

Now that it seems to be officially over, what should the new nickname for the University of North Dakota be? Suggestions? (And, please, let's try and keep it serious, and not degrade into a fight over keeping the name.)
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Re: UND's new nickname?

Postby old#63 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:54 am

I'll throw out the first idea. "War Ponies". Picture a turned horse's head with flared nostrils, wild eyes, pinned back ears, and some eagle feathers woven into a tangled mane. Maybe some green war paint around the eyes and on the front shoulder. Seems like a nice transition from Sioux. Keeps with a Great Plains Native American theme, but doesn't use any indiviual tribe as the mascot. And if you don't mind my saying so, kind of sticks it in the face of the NCAA.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby gobison » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:09 am

They just need to pick something and go with it, cause they are already in a heap of trouble with the NCAA and their troubles will increase in the future with the problem unsolved.
gobison
NDPreps Starter

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:08 am

Dirty snakes
fighting shelterbelts
Dumb Norwegians
The one arm Bandits
The Lame excuses
Party Poopers
The ole' College Try's
The mediocre Lawyers
The TEE PEE tippers
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:55 pm

I'd go with Nomads....the Sioux were fairly Nomadic
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:50 pm

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:The one arm Bandits

This one has my vote.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby canoworms » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:29 pm

I like the War Ponies. All the fans could bring stick horses to the games with the logos on them. The could double as clubs in case some one gets out of hand.
canoworms
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:06 am

I have heard that UND is thinking of going without a nickname for a year or two to let the anger die down. Might not be a bad idea, if you pick a new nickname now a lot of people will hate it because it is not "Fighting Sioux".
I would like to see them come up with something related to their aviation school, it is one of the best in the nation. I would also like to see them go as far away from native americans as possible with the new nickname - nothing that could be associated with native americans.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby old#63 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:39 pm

The aviation angle would be a good way to go as well. UND is definitely world class in that department. "Airmen" "Aviators" ????
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby classB4ever » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:20 pm

How about the UND "AEROS". The logo would be AEROS spelled out with an "arrow" going lengthwise across it from left to right. Rather then a broadhead, it would be a small jet, the shaft would be a trail of smoke going behind AER and coming through the center of the O. The feathers of the "arrow" would be made up of the letters "U", "N", "D".
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:38 pm

classB4ever wrote:How about the UND "AEROS". The logo would be AEROS spelled out with an "arrow" going lengthwise across it from left to right. Rather then a broadhead, it would be a small jet, the shaft would be a trail of smoke going behind AER and coming through the center of the O. The feathers of the "arrow" would be made up of the letters "U", "N", "D".

Aeros does seem like a good option...kind of like the Houston Aeros (of the AHL...Minnesota Wild's minor league hockey team).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:40 am

Sportsrube wrote:I have heard that UND is thinking of going without a nickname for a year or two to let the anger die down. Might not be a bad idea, if you pick a new nickname now a lot of people will hate it because it is not "Fighting Sioux".
I would like to see them come up with something related to their aviation school, it is one of the best in the nation. I would also like to see them go as far away from native americans as possible with the new nickname - nothing that could be associated with native americans.

I dont think you have to worry about it being Native American oriented....and by saying it should be as far away as it possibly can be from Native American shows your resentment towards Native Americans.
I'm sure your logic is shared with many out there.... its to bad there wasn't more thought put into it when it changed from the Flickertails to the Sioux, although at the time it hadn't been that long from when their land and way of life had been taken away from them, so it probably made sense to take their name too.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:12 am

winner-within wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:I have heard that UND is thinking of going without a nickname for a year or two to let the anger die down. Might not be a bad idea, if you pick a new nickname now a lot of people will hate it because it is not "Fighting Sioux".

I dont think you have to worry about it being Native American oriented....and by saying it should be as far away as it possibly can be from Native American shows your resentment towards Native Americans.
I'm sure your logic is shared with many out there.... its to bad there wasn't more thought put into it when it changed from the Flickertails to the Sioux, although at the time it hadn't been that long from when their land and way of life had been taken away from them, so it probably made sense to take their name too.

My reasoning behind going as far away from native americans as possible was to avoid any future problems, it had nothing to do with resentment towards natives or any one else.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:16 am

Sportsrube wrote:
winner-within wrote:

My reasoning behind going as far away from native americans as possible was to avoid any future problems, it had nothing to do with resentment towards natives or any one else.

I agree that they should go as far away as possible from a Native American nickname just to keep any more issues from arising...especially since how messy this one has become
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:32 pm

Well that is obviously a No Brainer.......
What is true is there is not one hardcore UND Hockey Fan out there who would want season ticket's having to sit right beside an enrolled member of any Tribe in the State.....
What I am saying is, Who in North Dakota really wants their one and only UNIVERSITY named after one of the American Native Tribe's who reside in its boarders????? They like the Logo!!!

Its not a shock to me that any Native in the state just wants everything back that they can get back, understandably so!! Since the reality of their Ancestors had everything taken away.
Now I am entitled to go off a bit, Why? because I am Native American....(Not Indian, Indians live in India!)
and this is what the thread is about..
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:19 pm

winner-within wrote:Well that is obviously a No Brainer.......
What is true is there is not one hardcore UND Hockey Fan out there who would want season ticket's having to sit right beside an enrolled member of any Tribe in the State.....
What I am saying is, Who in North Dakota really wants their one and only UNIVERSITY named after one of the American Native Tribe's who reside in its boarders????? They like the Logo!!!

Its not a shock to me that any Native in the state just wants everything back that they can get back, understandably so!! Since the reality of their Ancestors had everything taken away.
Now I am entitled to go off a bit, Why? because I am Native American....(Not Indian, Indians live in India!)
and this is what the thread is about..

winner, how can you make a statement like the above in bold? Can you prove it? You are essentially stereotyping all UND hockey fans. Next, you state that there is only one university in ND. Really????? Nothing like turning around and insulting every other place of higher education in the state.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:25 pm

I'm not stereotyping any body, you could carry it on to the Basketball and Football Fans too, at any venue in the state....I've lived in this State long enough to know how People judge by Race and Skin Color...if your not Of color you have no clue what I am talking about.
I've lived it... its time folks wake up and smell the toast, Not on the Nickname....on the reality of discrimination....its rampant and its real.

There is only ONE, University of North Dakota (UND)....and don't get me wrong i'm sitting here typing calmly because I'm proud of who I am and I have no resentment...I will sit down and have a Visit with anybody who would want to here my stories, my experiences.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:39 am

winner-within wrote:I'm not stereotyping any body, you could carry it on to the Basketball and Football Fans too, at any venue in the state....I've lived in this State long enough to know how People judge by Race and Skin Color...if your not Of color you have no clue what I am talking about.
I've lived it... its time folks wake up and smell the toast, Not on the Nickname....on the reality of discrimination....its rampant and its real.

There is only ONE, University of North Dakota (UND)....and don't get me wrong i'm sitting here typing calmly because I'm proud of who I am and I have no resentment...I will sit down and have a Visit with anybody who would want to here my stories, my experiences.

We all know that there is discrimination and prejudice in this world. That is undeniable. But for you as a Native American to state that every person that is "not of color" in North Dakota walks that road, is simply doing the same thing in reverse. I haven't walked in your shoes, but you haven't walked in mine either. Maybe I grew up poor and had to fight my entire life against a different type of prejudice. Maybe I am overweight and had to fight that. Maybe I am missing a limb. Maybe I am ugly and been passed up for jobs because of it.
I will not mince words. You are right and there is discrimination in ND. However, I have seen many times where the word "discrimination" is used as a security blanket. It doesn't matter if the person was in the wrong and was called on it. It is very easy to throw out the discriminatory card, whether it's true or not.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:07 pm

I have kept my mouth shut for over 40 years now....I will speak it like it is for the next 40 and thats how it is!!
I throw out no Cards, I am spot on when referring to how Native Americans are treated in ND. I'm one of the ones who learned early in life to buck up, shut up and do what your told. Now Its a life of experiences talking and I have to educate the ones coming up on how to adapt and how to feel confident in their skin.
Nice try on the Race card thing and all the comparisons to Handicaps and etc but the reality is that this is a stand alone situation.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:30 pm

Winner, on the discrimination, I myself have lived with it all my life also. I’m a Caucasian, not white, look up the definition of white and I’m not white as well as a lot of other people. I’m a Caucasian.

We all have seen the ugly head of discrimination rise up in all our lives but, it’s what we do with it. Do we make it an opportunity to get bitter or learn and make our lives better? I know I’ve heard the stories of people who are tired of getting beat down all their lives so they give up. I say pull yourself up one more time and make the best out of those lemons and make the best lemonade that you can. I wasn’t born with a gold spoon in my mouth either but I’ve made my live better then what I’ve grown up in. I grew up on the other side of the tracks and was the kids no one wants to be with. But instead of getting bitter, I got better and made a life for myself. I’ve seen this decimation myself, as I have tried to make friends with other cultures and have had them turn their backs on me and walk away. Do I think that culture owns me something, no! I just get better and remember not to treat people as I’ve just been treated. If we all do this, discrimination will die. But we can’t get bitter! Winner, I ask you to try forgiving me for any discrimination for the caucasian culture that you have experience. We can start today to make it better.

Now for the school name, I’m not upset about the “fighting Irish” of Notre Dame since I’m Irish. I understand you are very sensitive to the name UND uses. I will ask you this one question, what you would want to see the name changed too. IMO, I thought the name and prestige for UND gave great pride to the Great Sioux Nation for them to represent them in this fashion. But I could be wrong. Thanks Winner!
:wink:
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:13 pm

Mighty-Mouse wrote:Winner, on the discrimination, I myself have lived with it all my life also. I’m a Caucasian, not white, look up the definition of white and I’m not white as well as a lot of other people. I’m a Caucasian.

We all have seen the ugly head of discrimination rise up in all our lives but, it’s what we do with it. Do we make it an opportunity to get bitter or learn and make our lives better? I know I’ve heard the stories of people who are tired of getting beat down all their lives so they give up. I say pull yourself up one more time and make the best out of those lemons and make the best lemonade that you can. I wasn’t born with a gold spoon in my mouth either but I’ve made my live better then what I’ve grown up in. I grew up on the other side of the tracks and was the kids no one wants to be with. But instead of getting bitter, I got better and made a life for myself. I’ve seen this decimation myself, as I have tried to make friends with other cultures and have had them turn their backs on me and walk away. Do I think that culture owns me something, no! I just get better and remember not to treat people as I’ve just been treated. If we all do this, discrimination will die. But we can’t get bitter! Winner, I ask you to try forgiving me for any discrimination for the caucasian culture that you have experience. We can start today to make it better.

Now for the school name, I’m not upset about the “fighting Irish” of Notre Dame since I’m Irish. I understand you are very sensitive to the name UND uses. I will ask you this one question, what you would want to see the name changed too. IMO, I thought the name and prestige for UND gave great pride to the Great Sioux Nation for them to represent them in this fashion. But I could be wrong. Thanks Winner!
:wink:

I'm not at all Bittier towards humanity, I've actually penned a song about the history of the Natives of the Midwest and its called "Thats just the way it Goes" but at the end of the song I talk about "is that the way it should a been" the song is about history of the people and when it comes to history there have been many races and cultures that have seen distress and discomfort....I realize that this world will keep turning and some will win and some will lose.
Like I said I have no resentment....the difference with me Is My dad was the Native American and with alot of the Natives who didn't grow up on the Reservation it was usually the mom who had the Native blood and the dad was Caucasian, so the sons would ignore their mothers heritage and cling to their dads..
I've watched My Dad for years bite his tongue at the local coffee shop when someone was going off on Native Americans....Thats not Me, I call a spade a spade, regardless of race.....with Sioux Blood in My Veins I actually have no problem with the use of it for UND's Nickname....but the NCAA does.....I cant change their minds and we know as the world try's to get more politically correct, it actually causes waves where people sit content on issues that live in their back yard (like the Sioux Nickname).

We do know, with all the past erased from our minds for the last 80 years, that if last week the NDSU Aggies switched their name to the "Bison" that UND this day in age, would not pick the "the Sioux" and eventually "fighting Sioux" for theirs....we know that! it just wouldn't be an option....not that things have gotten better in the Stereo- typing of the Natives throughout those same years but because this generation would be more into a Technology name or a Flight school name etc. etc.

The question isn't "what should the name be now?" or "What would you name them now?" the question is "what should have the name been then??" with all Prejudges aside "what should have the name been then?"
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:29 pm

Winner, I want to bring up an argument that you have made many times regarding class b basketball. You have stated that class b basketball will never be the same as it once was, so we need to move forward and quit clinging to the past. Are you not doing the very same thing here? Nobody can change what has happened in the past, if we could, it would be done.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:19 pm

Your Missing my point....everything I have stated paints the picture of the Past (you need that to grasp the issue), everything I've stated shows how I will move forward with it.....the Glass is half full, I'm an optimist. If my argument in Class b ball is "not accepting change doesn't bring back the Past, it prevents the future" than the same goes with how certain folks are treated.
I truly think the NCAA and the Institutions who don't want the logo on a Jersey when they play them, feel the same way...Get It?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:07 pm

First off I will state that I do not know what it is like to walk in the shoes of the minority. I do however think that UNDs use of the nickname isn't as negative as people are making it out to be (I could be wrong, just stating my opinion). The University of North Dakota offers classes dealing with Native American history/traditions/culture etc... (And as far as I know are the only school that offers those classes to that extent). What happens to those classes when they change the nickname? You would be nieve to think they would still offer them. I for one do not care one way or the other if they change the nickname, I do however think that certain people on a certain reservation in ND aren't representing the wishes of the people they represent, but that is a whole seperate issue. I'm sure that some fans of any UND sport have some ill feelings towards the Native American people because of this issue, but to say every UND fan shares those same feelings is a very bold and untrue statement. I am not nieve to think we don't have any racist people living in our state (We are one of the most conservative states in the Union and a lot of our population doesn't like change). I have loved and been around sports my whole life, but I think it is absolutely ridiculous that we are spending tax payer dollars fighting to keep a nickname. The thing that people need to remember is that this is just a nickname, not a friend/neighbor/loved one, it is just a name we use to identify sports teams. Sorry I rambled a little bit, just my two cents.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:00 pm

The Schwab wrote:First off I will state that I do not know what it is like to walk in the shoes of the minority. I do however think that UNDs use of the nickname isn't as negative as people are making it out to be (I could be wrong, just stating my opinion). The University of North Dakota offers classes dealing with Native American history/traditions/culture etc... (And as far as I know are the only school that offers those classes to that extent). What happens to those classes when they change the nickname? You would be nieve to think they would still offer them. I for one do not care one way or the other if they change the nickname, I do however think that certain people on a certain reservation in ND aren't representing the wishes of the people they represent, but that is a whole seperate issue. I'm sure that some fans of any UND sport have some ill feelings towards the Native American people because of this issue, but to say every UND fan shares those same feelings is a very bold and untrue statement. I am not nieve to think we don't have any racist people living in our state (We are one of the most conservative states in the Union and a lot of our population doesn't like change). I have loved and been around sports my whole life, but I think it is absolutely ridiculous that we are spending tax payer dollars fighting to keep a nickname. The thing that people need to remember is that this is just a nickname, not a friend/neighbor/loved one, it is just a name we use to identify sports teams. Sorry I rambled a little bit, just my two cents.

You guys keep missing my point.....There is not one season ticket holder that would want to sit beside an Enrolled Member of an Native Tribe for the season regardless of the Nickname Issue....They just don't want to, they would feel that they shouldn't have to and they would feel like someone "strayed to far away from their Reservation" SAD!! but true.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges