XBOX Live

All other topics other than sports related.

Postby baseball » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:29 pm

neither is really an "athlete's" sport but gaming takes a lot more consintration and coordination then fishing does thats for sure but IMO neither is really a sport..i know fishers are gonna hate this but fishing is still not a sport, and either is gaming.  Both are hobbies
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:57 pm

i disagree...i used to be a gamer...i used to put in 14 hour stretches of playing video games...i had blisters that i played through, i had stretches where headaches threatened to make me not cover the spread...but that didn't matter, i wasn't going to let the opposition beat me. no pain, no gain. only the strong survive. there can be only one. i was the hammer and not the nail.

i fish and i used to be a gamer (then i got married and my wife put the kabash on that, so now i can only play video games between midnight and 5 a.m.)...both are way too expensive.
rep

Postby cdub1 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:21 pm

that shows serious dedication i know some kids who stay up til 6 in the morning and then go to school at 7 i have not heard of a lot of fishermen that dedicated

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ming01 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:32 pm

Are you saying because a lot of gamers are more dedicated than some fisherman that makes it more of a sport?
Last edited by Ming01 on Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:31 pm

i would not call either of them a sport i would jus say gamers are more dedicated

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:45 pm

I am going out fishing this weekend can someone please PM me the cheat codes for a 20 pound walleye;)
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby cdub1 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:47 pm

if u use cheats you rnt a gamer then u r a cheater...

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:08 am

I'm pretty sure I don't want to be either: a gamer or a cheater.  I'm absolutely floored at the amount of money being spent on these games.  I certainly can't afford any of the new systems.    I think the entire industry is perpetuating the "I want what I want and I want it know" mentality that many young people have.  Earn it, fine I can except that.  But not gimme!
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:33 am

cdub1 wrote:that shows serious dedication i know some kids who stay up til 6 in the morning and then go to school at 7 i have not heard of a lot of fishermen that dedicated

I dont go fishing until 6am in the morning and then school at 7, but when I prepare for a tournament I am on the water 5 days in a row M-F from 6am until 6pm pre-fishing. And I spend way more money than I want to know about doing all of this.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby chachi_j2007 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:50 pm

Gaming is not even close to a sport in my opinion. I dont even know what to call it probably a hobby or maybe its in a whole different class of its own. 
chachi_j2007
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saas25 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:34 pm

Gaming is gaming and not a sport no matter how long u play or what.  I do love playing video games but in no way is it a sport and as for fishing, it is a sport that's all I got.
Saas25
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:50 pm

i used to have a fishing game for my sega....
rep

Postby NDbaseball » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:52 pm

Wow, I can't believe we're discussing wether or not 'gaming' is a sport. If gaming is a sport, then picking your nose must be a sport too. As far as fishing, it could go either way. For people who fish to pay the bills in their house, probably consider it more of a sport than people who just go to have a good time wether or not a single fish is caught, now there's a valid argument. But 'gaming'? Come on guys lets get serious here. You think hard of strategies of how to beat a level and what not, but don't we think hard on a single Math problem in some cases? Is schoolwork a sport? I think not.
NDbaseball

Postby baseball » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:58 pm

NDbaseball wrote:Wow, I can't believe we're discussing wether or not 'gaming' is a sport. If gaming is a sport, then picking your nose must be a sport too. As far as fishing, it could go either way. For people who fish to pay the bills in their house, probably consider it more of a sport than people who just go to have a good time wether or not a single fish is caught, now there's a valid argument. But 'gaming'? Come on guys lets get serious here. You think hard of strategies of how to beat a level and what not, but don't we think hard on a single Math problem in some cases? Is schoolwork a sport? I think not.

people enter Madden and NBA Live tournaments to pay bills.....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDbaseball » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:02 pm

I've never heard of that before, and if there are, there aren't too many.
NDbaseball

Postby baseball » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:59 pm

theres quite a few high-paying tournaments for pretty much every game even made.  EA Sports and Halo are probably the most famous for their tournaments.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Strike3? » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:42 pm

Their are a lot of professional gamers, most of them are sponsored.
It's a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square.
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:42 am

Strike3? wrote:Their are a lot of professional gamers, most of them are sponsored.

As are a lot of fishermen...........
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Strike3? » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:08 am

I know that, im saying that gaming is just as much a sport as fishing is.
It's a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square.
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:11 am

I wasnt disagreeing, just stating that a lot of tournament fishermen are heavily sponsored.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby froggy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:50 pm

[font=georgia]gaming is by far a sport and fishing stinks the big one. oh ya im the best guitar hero player in the state...i guarantee it haha noobs[/font]
froggy

Postby baseball » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:13 am

Im not saying either one is a sport jsut because they hand out money to the winner of a tournament. if thats the case then you have to throw "competative cooking" out there too.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:40 am

anything competitive should be considered a sport.
project-pat

Postby froggy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:07 pm

[font=georgia]ping pong isnt a sport[/font]
froggy

Postby The Schwab » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:08 pm

Ping pong is an amazing sport.....have you ever watched professional ping pong on ESPN 2 at like 3 or 4 a.m.......amazing
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to gaming, movies, tv, local stories