Racoon?

Racoon?

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:29 pm

Whats with the raccoon deal, I didn't know Carrington were such furbearers
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: Racoon?

Postby rekcats1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:55 pm

I hear that there are actually people in Carrington who want to throw the coach under the bus? WHAT? I'd think there are alot more important things to worry about than a raccoon who took a ride in the luggage compartment and then "came to life." Carrington has a great wrestling coach and people in town need to support him. This is crazy......worry about the "big things," like underage drinking, drug use, texting and driving, etc. Don't think a racoon is going to cause life threatening injury. :(
rekcats1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:40 am

rekcats1 wrote:I hear that there are actually people in Carrington who want to throw the coach under the bus? WHAT? I'd think there are alot more important things to worry about than a raccoon who took a ride in the luggage compartment and then "came to life." Carrington has a great wrestling coach and people in town need to support him. This is crazy......worry about the "big things," like underage drinking, drug use, texting and driving, etc. Don't think a racoon is going to cause life threatening injury. :(

What was he thinking stopping the bus for that?? Thats the one question that still baffles me, is why they stopped?? Anyway I don't think he should be fired but just suspended for the rest of the year. He'd miss the two biggest events of the wrestling year Region Individual tournament and the State Tournament. Just my opinion.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rekcats1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:29 am

And how is suspending the coach going to benefit the kids? Isn't that what sports are all about......making the kids better on and off the mat/court/field? I think if the coach meets with the team (and even their parents, if that's needed) and explain his "error in judgement" and apologize that will teach the kids alot more than a suspension. Kids need adults to admit we all make mistakes, admit them and move on. As I understand, this coach relates well to the kids and is well respected in and out of the classroom. Kids - ITS OK TO MAKE A MISTAKE...WE ALL DO!
rekcats1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:59 am

This just blows my MIND! Has to honestly be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of! Total lapse in judgement, plus he put those kids in danger, some might have to get rabies shots. They also need to worry about animal rights ppl and the game and fish. I heard they have the whole thing on their phones. I have heard that Carrington was already looking for a reason to get rid of him, so I'm guessing he is gone. Which is to bad bc he was a heck of wrestler in HS and College, and he really is a good guy, I do believe is seconds chances and hope he gets one. I also hope that the kids get to wrestle individuals this upcoming weekend. Really one of the weirdest sports stories I have ever heard!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:26 pm

packers21 wrote:This just blows my MIND! Has to honestly be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of! Total lapse in judgement, plus he put those kids in danger, some might have to get rabies shots. They also need to worry about animal rights ppl and the game and fish. I heard they have the whole thing on their phones. I have heard that Carrington was already looking for a reason to get rid of him, so I'm guessing he is gone. Which is to bad bc he was a heck of wrestler in HS and College, and he really is a good guy, I do believe is seconds chances and hope he gets one. I also hope that the kids get to wrestle individuals this upcoming weekend. Really one of the weirdest sports stories I have ever heard!

Makes sense if this is the case, you see allot of teachers and coaches, Laborers and Professionals get more daring and risky with the way they handle certian situations, if things aren't peachy at work
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:18 pm

There has to be a story behind the story here. Why'd they pick up this racoon? You don't just stop and pick up dead (or thought to be dead) animals, do you? It reminds me of that scene from "Tommy Boy" where the deer they hit comes back to life.

I know kids will sometimes put roadkill on their friends car or something once in a while. My daughter had a dead rabbit zip tied to her antena one time. Were the Carrington kids gonna do something with it once they got to Grafton or what was the deal? Somebody isn't fessing up here. I've got a feeling it must be some kind of a practical joke gone bad. Too bad it turned out this way. Seems like a lot of fuss over a 'coon!
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:34 pm

old#63 wrote:There has to be a story behind the story here. Why'd they pick up this racoon? You don't just stop and pick up dead (or thought to be dead) animals, do you? It reminds me of that scene from "Tommy Boy" where the deer they hit comes back to life.

I know kids will sometimes put roadkill on their friends car or something once in a while. My daughter had a dead rabbit zip tied to her antena one time. Were the Carrington kids gonna do something with it once they got to Grafton or what was the deal? Somebody isn't fessing up here. I've got a feeling it must be some kind of a practical joke gone bad. Too bad it turned out this way. Seems like a lot of fuss over a 'coon!

It wasnt dead, they chased it down a killed it (the story I heard) slammed it to the ground and thought it was dead, put it in a pale and then in storage, checked on it the next Morning and it ran down the bus isle and out the door....no criminal charges, no law involved but seriously a bad decision IMO
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby rekcats1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Not true.....thought to be dead when they picked it up. This is an example of how bad rumors get started. Bet the stupid thing was almost froze and putting it in the pail and in the luggage compartment "warmed it up/dethawed it." Coach and many team members are avid hunters. Thought the hide/skin worth a little money.
rekcats1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby old#63 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:25 pm

rekcats1 wrote:Not true.....thought to be dead when they picked it up. This is an example of how bad rumors get started. Bet the stupid thing was almost froze and putting it in the pail and in the luggage compartment "warmed it up/dethawed it." Coach and many team members are avid hunters. Thought the hide/skin worth a little money.

Now that sounds reasonable. And if that's the truth, I'd say that it's no big deal, just an honest mistake. Just country boys being country boys. And I believe it could be mistaken for dead. I remember a cat on the farm one time that I found that was so frozen that it was hard as a board. It was only breathing about once a minute. I brought it in and warmed it up and it was perfectly healthy the next day except for its ears and tail turned black and fell off.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:29 pm

rekcats1 wrote:Not true.....thought to be dead when they picked it up. This is an example of how bad rumors get started. Bet the stupid thing was almost froze and putting it in the pail and in the luggage compartment "warmed it up/dethawed it." Coach and many team members are avid hunters. Thought the hide/skin worth a little money.

If their avid they know what hide is worth, I actually dont care at all what happened in the field or how it happend, I would be more sceptical and concerned about rabies for the simple fact I witnessed a foaming from the mouth Racoon when we were kids...Yikes!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby rekcats1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:38 pm

old#63....looks like I may owe you an apology. The kdak website says there was a little more to the story. But looks like 60 people showed up at board mtg in favor of coach and he keeps his job. Definetly an "error in judgement." Am sure the coach and team and everyone else that heard of this story learned alot! Hope so.
rekcats1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:45 pm

rekcats1 wrote:old#63....looks like I may owe you an apology. The kdak website says there was a little more to the story. But looks like 60 people showed up at board mtg in favor of coach and he keeps his job. Definetly an "error in judgement." Am sure the coach and team and everyone else that heard of this story learned alot! Hope so.

Old#63 or Winner-Within? cause I was certain I had my story straight
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:29 pm

winner-within wrote:
rekcats1 wrote:old#63....looks like I may owe you an apology. The kdak website says there was a little more to the story. But looks like 60 people showed up at board mtg in favor of coach and he keeps his job. Definetly an "error in judgement." Am sure the coach and team and everyone else that heard of this story learned alot! Hope so.

ya, I think he meant you, winner.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:34 am

old#63 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

ya, I think he meant you, winner.

Article in the Grand Forks Herald this morning about this. Coach did stop the bus and let 4-5 boys of to kill the raccoon. The hit it with a pail, thought it was dead and stored it underneath the bus. The next day they found out it was still alive and they let it go. Coach will keep his job and says that "if he could reverse all this he would". Sounds like he had a lot of support from the community, also says this isn't the first time hes been in trouble. Hopefully he learns from it, I don't think he has any 2nd chances left.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:10 am

I can't believe he gets off with no punishment at all. To show this complete lack of common sense and lack of judgement and walk away with nothing???? I only hope he is a better teacher than this incident has made him out to be.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby old#63 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:10 pm

If you have ever knocked out a racoon with a pail, stashed it on the school bus, and then had it come back to life and run away.......You might be a Redneck!!
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:56 pm

being a good coach does not absolve you of the responsibility that comes with being the adult in this situation and he should not be given a pass just because he "is a good coach"
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:49 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:being a good coach does not absolve you of the responsibility that comes with being the adult in this situation and he should not be given a pass just because he "is a good coach"

I agree 100%!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:00 pm

old#63 wrote:If you have ever knocked out a racoon with a pail, stashed it on the school bus, and then had it come back to life and run away.......You might be a Redneck!!

Thats funny...I'm wondering why he didnt tell the Wrestlers to bring their 22-250's with, way less work involved and much better chance of bringing back home to the fur buyer.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby slysteve » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:54 am

I believe this is making national news also. If you google carrington raccoon you will find articles from oakland, louisiana, san antonio, and kansas city.
"If you look good, you feel good. If you feel good, you play good. If you play good, they pay good."-Deion Sanders
slysteve
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:45 am

rivals.com (based through Yahoo) had an article the other day.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:48 am

I think NB-Cav woulda beat them....give me your thoughts
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:02 am

I think the only team that had a very good chance of beating Carrington was South Border. With Carrington out of the way thanks to an idiot coach, South Border is the heavy favorite to win the State Dual IMO.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:32 pm

winner-within wrote:I think NB-Cav woulda beat them....give me your thoughts

This is just going by regional rankings, 9 weight classes favored Carrington and 5 for North Border Cavalier. But anything can happen in a dual with kids getting switched at different weights etc. If I was a betting man I would of taken Carrington.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Wrestling