2010 Optimists All Star VB

Re: 2010 Optimists All Star VB

Postby senser » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:43 pm

yosports wrote:You know what Senser? I think Steffan is better, you think Green is better. I was just justifying why by looking at more than just one year. The EDC coaches must have thought that same thing their junior year as well!! But you know everything so we will just go with that.

I know enough to understand how the selection process works, which should be enough for this argument. Again, you can choose to disagree with how the process works, but stop with the shot taking at the players that were selected, because they were selected with concrete reasoning, which goes against your "the absolute best players" argument, which is biased and completely subjective.

yosports wrote:Who are you to say Green is better or Steffan is better just like me? It is an opinion (which I am entitled to) and I was just backing up my opinon with facts from the year before. But you are smarter than me so we will just go with that. Green is better.

Outstanding. Surely you undestand how the selection process works, and why it's in place. Because it's impossible to form an opinionated argument on who "should" be representing, based on your argument of "the best players", which again, is biased and subjective.

Also, players develop at different times of their career, which should make previous years irrelevant in who's the better player during that particular season.
senser
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:16 am

Not that it matters concerning the All-Star team, but does anyone know if any of the girls are going to play college volleyball? I think most of the top ND players still opt for basketball if they can.

Also, from what I have learned about the selection process for VB All-Star, it is probably the least biased out of all the sports all-star teams (not that there isn't always going to be some controversy). The GFRR situation was unique because they won the state championship and their top player is a basketball player. To really see the "best of the best" they would allow the players to do both events, but then we can't see who is really devoted to volleyball over basketball.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby intensity » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:57 pm

yosports wrote:I guess I should have said that the All Star games should showcase the best SENIORS in the state who didn't have another commitment. Steffan didn't have another committment and she was one of the best SENIORS in the state by far! How do you explain that all 6 of the Class A athletes were from Fargo/WF? (What about the top seniors from Wahpeton, Devils Lake, Central, RR?) Steffan should have beat out Laske, Cochran, Green and Carlson based on her (Steffan) junior year All State/All conference status and the fact she was on an awesome, balanced team who won the state championship. She was also All-tournament! I just don't get it unless they were looking at positions and needed a middle or setter instead of an outside. Obviously Laske/Cochran was a setter/libero so it is hard to compare those girls with Steffan.
I just hope next year they have a little better mix of girls and not just all Fargo girls! And hopefully the top Seniors (who don't have another commitment) are playing the game rather than watching from the stands.

First of all there is no way you can say Steffan would beat out Cochran or Laske because they play completely different positions.

Second of all the reasoning behind Steffan's being an alternate:
I watched the match in Fargo, and in my opinion, there were some Class B girls who were not as talented as most of the other girls. I'm guessing they have a certain number of Class B girls who must be on the team, and it seemed Class B was a little weaker in the East. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not sure if there actually is a certain number.
Honestly, I think if the team did not have a quota of Class B girls, and it was more competitive, Steffan and possibly Stoley would have definitely been playing.
intensity
NDPreps Reserve

Postby yosports » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:17 pm

I am not sure but I believe they pick 6 Class A stars and 6 Class B stars.

I think Class B girls typically are not as experienced in volleyball hence they are not as talented as Class A players. A lot of the Class A players have Junior Olympic volleyball experience. Only some of the Class B girls seem to have that experience.
I believe 2 West teams played for the State Class B title this year. (Hazen and Stanley?) The East was not as strong for Class B.
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby dolly095 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:25 pm

STEFFAN> green
dolly095
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:24 pm

seriously...why is everyone still bickering over the All-Star game...
Last edited by Run4Fun2009 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby 3Putt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:11 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:seriously...why are everyone still bickering over the All-Star game...

I agree. The players being discussed have graduated and a new season starts in a couple of days. Time to move on.
3Putt
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Volleyball