DAC on life support

No smack talk is allowed here.

DAC on life support

Postby ndfan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:08 am

DAC is down to five teams after two of the South Dakota schools have decided to make the move to D-II. That leaves Dakota State, Jamestown, Mayville State, Dickinson State, and Valley City State. You need six i believe to have automatic qualifier for playoffs, so will they add anymore teams? Are there any other teams that may be interested in joining? Are there any other teams looking to leave the DAC? As of right now it doesn't look good for the DAC.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: DAC on life support

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:20 am

I've been following this, too. They are either going to have to add a team and combine with another conference. Sounds like the remaining schools are going to stay together and ride it out, tho. Hopefully they can add a good school and remain a decent conference. Going back to the NDCAC basically. Too bad really because back when it was the DAC-10 it was possibly one of the toughest conferences in NAIA.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:50 pm

Any idea what schools they may be looking at to add? They do need 6 in order to have an automatic qualifier for the playoffs so I would think they are going to want to add schools or merge with another conference. Any ideas what conference they might be able to merge with? I will miss the DAC, it was avery competitive conference in a number of sports.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:57 pm

I know one option was to add Trinity Bible College, but I don't think that would be a good thing for the conference. I've heard maybe UMC might drop back down to NAIA. I don't know what other colleges in the area could work for the conference or if there is another conference that would make sense to merge with.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:17 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I know one option was to add Trinity Bible College, but I don't think that would be a good thing for the conference. I've heard maybe UMC might drop back down to NAIA. I don't know what other colleges in the area could work for the conference or if there is another conference that would make sense to merge with.

Technically, that wouldn't be in the Dakotas :D

And who was the other team that left the DAC-10. I can't for the life of me remember. Obviously, UMary was one, but I can't think of the other.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:21 pm

Indy5 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:I know one option was to add Trinity Bible College, but I don't think that would be a good thing for the conference. I've heard maybe UMC might drop back down to NAIA. I don't know what other colleges in the area could work for the conference or if there is another conference that would make sense to merge with.

And who was the other team that left the DAC-10. I can't for the life of me remember. Obviously, UMary was one, but I can't think of the other.

Si Tanka/Huron University
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:29 am

Indy5 wrote:

No its not, but back when UMC was in the same conference as the teams that will be left in the current DAC (except it was Minot instead of Dakota) it was still called the NDCAC. Huron college closed back when I was in school and left the DAC with 9 before Mary left.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Coach Rerick » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:32 pm

I heard through the grapevine today that Dakota State is planning on leaving the DAC in favor of an independent schedule. That would be a good move for them in order to schedule some DAC games and some GPAC games. If this happens, I would think the Frontier becomes a more attractive option for DiSU, despite the travel and lack of baseball/softball. VCSU, JC, and MaSU need to become very aggressive about future options right now - sit around and see what happens is a crappy strategy with the current NAIA landscape.
Coach Rerick
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:46 pm

Coach Rerick wrote:I heard through the grapevine today that Dakota State is planning on leaving the DAC in favor of an independent schedule. That would be a good move for them in order to schedule some DAC games and some GPAC games. If this happens, I would think the Frontier becomes a more attractive option for DiSU, despite the travel and lack of baseball/softball. VCSU, JC, and MaSU need to become very aggressive about future options right now - sit around and see what happens is a crappy strategy with the current NAIA landscape.

The Frontier wouldn't be a bad fit for Dickinson. I had heard talks of Jamestown joining an all private school conference. That would leave just VCSU and Mayville. I'm not sure what they'd do. I'd assume they'd have to go to the Great Plains Athletic Conference. They could possibly join the Heart of America Conference. Maybe the Midwest Collegiate Conference but that is all Iowa schools.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Options are limited for VCSU and Mayville. If Jamestown does not joint the Gpac and Dickinson does not join the Frontier these four schools can reorganize the NDCAC and at least have a conference championship to play for.

The Dac has sent more than one team on to national play in football, baseball and basketball many times and the North Dakota schools would still be recognized at the national level even though they do not get an automatic bid for national and regional play.

Playing strength of schedule and winning record for a national ranking and playing as an independent is not the end of the world for VCSU and Mayville, if they are left to do so, it would stink not to have the conference championship to play for but lets remember it's not an end all for these two schools if they do not have a conference.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Coach Rerick » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:22 pm

This is the ugly part of the Frontier for Dickinson State (other than not sponsoring baseball or softball).
The distance from Dickinson to each Frontier School:
Carroll College (Helena) - 556
Univ. of Great Falls - 450
Lewis-Clark (Lewiston) - 884
MSU-N (Havre) - 405
M Tech (Butte) - 543
UM-Western (Dillon) - 573
Rocky Mt. (Billings) - 317
Westminster (SLC) - 879
In contrast, their longest trips in the DAC were to Madison (517) and Mayville (319).
Coach Rerick
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vballfan06 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:04 pm

I would think if this happens...Mayville and VCSU will seriously consider moving DIII and joining the UMAC.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby Coach Rerick » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:05 am

Reports now that the DAC commish and remaining four DAC schools will meet (or conference call) with the Frontier. Valley, Jamestown, and Mayville to Salt Lake City, UT; Lewiston, ID; and La Grande, OR?? WOW
Coach Rerick
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vballfan06 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:34 pm

yeah, i think that'd be the obvious result....however, you'd still see mayville having to travel all the way out to havre and billings every year.
I'm not sure how big of a difference this makes--but isn't the DAC an NAIA DII school in basketball while the Frontier is DI? Maybe someone can enlighten me on the scholarship difference and how much of a difference that makes?
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:35 am

I can't see these small schools being able to afford all the extra travel in their athletic budgets.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:43 pm

I think UM-Crookston and Upper Iowa should drop from D-II to join the DAC. These two schools struggle to compete in D-II. UM-Crookston gets 'thumped' in football by MSU-Moorhead (which is embarrassing)!!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Mandan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:37 pm

I think everyone thinks Crookston should go back to the NAIA except them... they think they can't make it as an NAIA school in Minnesota. Are Minnesota people that snobby about NAIA? I guess there aren't that many NAIA schools left in Minnesota, the ones that were there are private or switched to NCAA.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Anybody have any new info on the DAC? I know the DAC will be gone after this year, but what are VC, Mayville, and Jamestown going?
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mandan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:40 pm

There was a whole series of articles in the Jamestown Sun earlier this year about Jamestown. Their main choices are the Frontier or go D3 and join the UMAC. NAIA Independant could be a possibility as well, but for football that could get very difficult to put a schedule together, so it seems like they are mostly choosing between Frontier and UMAC. They would prefer GPAC but GPAC doesn't want to expand this far north.

No idea about Valley City or Mayville. I have not heard anything.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges