What will you miss most??

Postby IrishFan » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:36 am

Now that my high school football career is over, I would like to know what you guys miss most about High School football??
IrishFan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:40 am

There is something about competing as a team, in aphysical activity like footabll that you can't compare to anything else you will ever do.  High school was fun, about being with friends.  College was about work and commitment, about proving you were really as good as you thought you were or could be.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball4 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:45 pm

I didn't think I would miss it that much, but now I realize that I should of went and played somewhere and that I would do anything to put those pads on again.
baseball4

Postby ndfbfan » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:13 pm

baseball4 wrote:I didn't think I would miss it that much, but now I realize that I should of went and played somewhere and that I would do anything to put those pads on again.

I agree. I remember going to UND and watching the Sioux come out for their first game when I was a freshman. That lost feeling in my stomach sat with me for a long time. The old cliche, "don't know what you got till it's gone" fit perfectly. 10 years later, I still find myself asking "what if". I always tell guys, don't let that happen to you. Of course, at 18, you always know better than anyone else. It's like the guy in Friday Night Lights says, "all that's left are memories and babies" or something to that effect. To answer the question, how about the smell of fresh cut grass on a warm fall evening, sound of AC/DC or Guns n Roses from the stereo. Pulling that jersey over your pads and the anticipation. I'm as patriotic as they come, but I still think as a player, the national anthem seemed like it took 30 minutes!!!!
Last edited by ndfbfan on Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ndfbfan

Postby Saas25 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:47 am

I can tell you it is hard just watching games from the stands and I wish I could put on the pads again for the game this weekend but I guess that is life and to whoever plays this weekend, you better leave all out on this game because you don't know if you'll make it to next week and you can't leave anything on the field otherwise you'll be regretting it!
Saas25
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:21 am

To echo what Tiger Pride had stated.  There's nothing like padding up with the guys that you sweat with, bleed with, and will never forget for the rest of your life.  It's not only what goes on on the playing field, but the locker room, the bus rides and the practice field.  I remember our coach telling us before a game that "you will remember this for the rest of your lives.  When your 30 years old, your going to be sitting around drinking a beer, and telling stories about this game, not the science or math test you took."  I will cherish those memories, and tell that to every kid that suits up, to cherish it.  Unless you go on to play college FB, there is nothing like taking your pads off for the last time.  You can always go and play rec basketball or softball or rec hockey, but never again will you pad up and put on the helmet and battle along with your best friends.    .....Ah the memories!!!!
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball4 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:51 am

ndfbfan wrote:
baseball4 wrote:I didn't think I would miss it that much, but now I realize that I should of went and played somewhere and that I would do anything to put those pads on again.

I agree. I remember going to UND and watching the Sioux come out for their first game when I was a freshman. That lost feeling in my stomach sat with me for a long time.

I'm totally with you, I'm a freshman this year and when I saw the Bison come out of the tunnel and everybody yelling and screaming, I realized right then and there how much I missed it.  There's no greater feeling then when after getting yourself pysched up for a game you come running out onto the field and everybody is yelling for you and you start to play under the lights...the feeling is undescribable and you take it for granted at the time.
baseball4

Postby rep » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:02 am

the big thing for me was not ending my playing career with a loss...in high school when we lost my senior year that seemed to almost just put a bitter end to something that i had really enjoyed. it ate at me...that losing feeling.

i ended up at mayville state for a couple of years (yeah...the place to go if you wanna win right...sigh) but in the last game of my sophomore year i ended up playing for three quarters after one of their offensive lineman went down with an injury and we beat some concoria school from the twin cities. they weren't very good, but in the end, i think i can overlook that and i'll always remember going out with a victory and that feeling of a win as i took of my shoulder pads for the last time because after that i got tired of the bunk at masu and quit though i had a couple years of eligibility left.

i'd give anything to get in the trenches again and run block or cut some 6-5 d-tackle. i'd give anything to hang out with my friends after two-a-days and we'd all complain about the bumps and bruises or the smell of that spray that went under my tape jobs. i miss the game but in the end, i don't think football haunts me the way it does some because i didn't end with a loss.
rep

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:06 am

The first game as student coach in college after the playing days were over was probablly the most difficult day of my life(barring deaths).  Being a student assistant allowed for some of the friendships and stories to continue but once game time hit I can honestly say it was emotional.  I realized I wasn't one of them any more. 
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby digger » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:20 am

Holy Cow!  I might have to go shut the door to my office so that no one comes in and sees me in tears!  I have the same memories, same emotions.  My son just played his last game on Saturday, we sat up and talked for a couple of hours after he got home Saturday night.  It was a good time just listening to him, and remembering experiencing some of those same things years ago.  I agree that football is different; I didn't experience the same feeling when my basketball & baseball playing days ended even though I enjoyed playing them every bit as much.  Good topic to bring up!
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby IrishFan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:02 am

I was a quarterback so Il miss being in that huddle and having ten guys looking at me all on the same page all with the same goal.      
IrishFan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ming01 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:05 pm

Just like that it was my last game.  It was tough having a rough year and when you have a bad year it is so easy to just give up and not work.  No one on my team stopped working hard or ever complained about the season.  Most of the kids on my team went through 2 rough seasons and it was hard at times.  But after my last game it was hard knowing that it was most of us seniors last game ever.  I cant describe the feeling in the locker room after the last game and taking off those pads for the last time.  It was a feeling I will never forget.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby mhs4life » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:55 am

it was one of the worst feeling in the world after we lost last year to central in the semi's when your in the locker room after the game and you realize you will never get to play with that group of guys you have been playing with sence the 7th grade
mhs4life
NDPreps Rookie

Postby GOND » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:28 pm

Guys, If you miss it put on the stripes. Officiating is about teamwork and still being part of the game.

Not the same but you can give something back to the game and good officials are always needed.
GOND
NDPreps Rookie

Postby region1 football » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:41 am

GOND wrote:Guys, If you miss it put on the stripes. Officiating is about teamwork and still being part of the game.

Not the same but you can give something back to the game and good officials are always needed.

Its also gives you an opportunity to get revenge on some teams you dislike:P...jk
region1 football
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfootball » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:10 pm

I personally will miss going out for the opening kickoff.
ndfootball

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:01 am

With football, the last time you put the pads on, is the last time you will ever play the game. Unlike baseball, or basketball, golf, tennis whatever, you will never play a down of football again.

You invested so much time into team, camps, weights, conditioning, injuries, when it's all over it is depressing even if you finish as a state champion, eventually the realization of not playing anymore will set in.

I went right from playing college ball to coaching, I have always been close to the game, but I did go through a period of 9 years where I did not coach and I was miserable. Now I have been coaching again the last 6 years and I tell the kids to play their guts out on every down because soon enough it will be their last.

However coaching does not replace playing, and what I miss the most about playing football, is the intensity, the contact, and my teammates.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby rikki4 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:54 am

i would have definitly worked much harder than i did in practice and offseason
rikki4
NDPreps Reserve

Postby werty » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:48 pm

The adrenalin rush you get when the fans and the band is playing during opening starting lineups
werty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDSportsFan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:36 pm

For some reason I always liked it when the captains counted you off for calisthenics and smacked you hard on the shoulder.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby the low down » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:30 pm

sounds very, very familiar...
the low down
NDPreps Starter

Re: What will you miss most??

Postby no.dak. » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:25 pm

The close rivalry games, fans tearing fences, (remember hankinson) yelling and screaming... and the adrenaline
no.dak.

Return to Football