Best Class Be player ever

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby project-pat » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:20 pm

the best ever is Steve Blehm...END OF ARGUMENT
project-pat

Postby lotta bb » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:57 am

Yeah!Eaglestaff was something else. That also makes me think of Everett Chasing Hawk I think his name was. He could really shoot also.
lotta bb
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Best Class Be player ever

Postby SnuggleMuffin » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:09 am

Jaden Voth was hella good..
Probably the funnest kid to watch play basketball in class B
SnuggleMuffin

Postby Makotifarmguy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:49 pm

Pre-70's:
1. Steve Blehm- no way, no how can anyone dispute his achievements.
2. Jerry Pyle
3. Henry Milkey

Post-70's:
1. Gulseth
2. Berg
3. Boschee (if he was class B).
4. toss up between the following: Olsen, MacDonald, Haagenson, Lawrence, Fridley, Undlin, Jacobson, Buhr, and probably a few others I missed.

No way Kraft is in the top five between the two lists. Maybe in the top 20 all-time, but he isn't as high on the pedestal as some here like to put him.

Paul Shlafmann from Turtle Lake in the early 90s was amazing. To bad he got hurt his senior year in football. He had alot of D1 colleges looking at him.

Paul was a very good player. I played against AND WITH him many, many times but he isn't in the top 5. Even Fridley who beat him numerous times in the 1 on 1 tournament at Minot St. Basketball camp went to UND-Williston before NDSU.

Robert Lawrence went to LRSC if I am not mistaken and was an All-American. He had a very successful career at LRSC. Someone kind of aluded to him not going further. That is what he wanted to do and now I think he has his own team right there at at the Spirit Lake Reservation that goes and plays around the area.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:34 pm

Boschee wasn't B unless you mean Jerry Boschee of Killdeer. Jeff was A at VC.

I'll throw a vote Buhr's way. Guy could take over a game.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:56 pm

i dont think he was Class B but can someone tell me where Juno Pintar went to school? i wanna say Fargo South???
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:59 pm

baseball wrote:i dont think he was Class B but can someone tell me where Juno Pintar went to school? i wanna say Fargo South???

North
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:59 pm

baseball wrote:i dont think he was Class B but can someone tell me where Juno Pintar went to school? i wanna say Fargo South???

Fargo North
project-pat

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:53 pm

Regarding Schlafmen, he wasn't one of the top 10 guards in class b back in 92. I can name a few off the top of my head I'd take over schlafmen: Fridley, Haagenson, Piatz, Wold, Kluvers...just to name a few. I find it hard to believe he had so many D 's looking at him. If he did, I'm guessing Fridley would have been a D1 lock. Robert Lawrence could play. I wish he would have played after LRSC.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:57 am

I think he went to Mayville for a stretch quit before the season began.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:39 pm

He must have played half the year or so I'm presuming?? I believe that was the year before Smith went to Mayville, I forget the previous coaches name, but from what I've been told his players didn't enjoy playing for him, on top of the fact that he recruited horribly. I'd have liked to see him their playing when Smith coached. I think Mayville went 0-29 in 03-04??
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:41 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:He must have played half the year or so I'm presuming?? I believe that was the year before Smith went to Mayville, I forget the previous coaches name, but from what I've been told his players didn't enjoy playing for him, on top of the fact that he recruited horribly. I'd have liked to see him their playing when Smith coached. I think Mayville went 0-29 in 03-04??

Yeah I cant remember the coaches name either i also believe he was the AD. They may have won one game that year but you are probably right that they didnt win a game.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:06 pm

The coach was Terry Layton, and I believe they were 1-27. Their one win was by a couple points over Brandon University.[/quote]
Layton only did one thing right in his time at MSU and that was get Travis Lindgren.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:15 pm

You're giving Layton to much credit...Lindgren was recruited by Paul Grove, the coach prior to Layton. As a matter of fact, Lindgren was the "player representative" on the hiring board that hired Layton, who had previously just served as the AD.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:43 pm

Lindgren was done playing when Layton was hired.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Re:

Postby jtdc492 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:50 pm

ballin6 wrote:How can you average 47.3 ppg and only get all-state honorable mention?  That's just not right.

Back in those days All-State Team was A and B together not separated like it is now.

How about Larry Linson from Rolette back in early 70's. Hit 43pts at '73 state tourney consolation game. Maybe not best ever, but at least deserves a mention.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby ticket0115 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:27 am

BEST PLAYER in the Early 90s.
ticket0115
NDPreps Starter

Re:

Postby east sider » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:43 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Did you play against Carr and Lindahl??  Its a bit different playing against someone than just watching them play. 

I know this topic is REALLY old but I guess legends never die, so I'll chime in...

I've played Kraft and Lindahl, Kraft was WAY better and deserves to be mentioned in the top 5, Lindahl doesn't. I read your posts and you usually know your stuff but its obvious where you're from and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you did NOT see Kraft play his Sr. year. He got so much better that year and was playing at a different level than anyone I've seen before or since. Ultimately I wouldn't put Kraft in the top 5 b/c he wasn't the hardest worker and it didn't seem like he did everything he could to help his team like posting up on the block. But to compare Lindahl to Kraft is kind of a joke, sorry
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:28 am

I played against Kraft his senior year. Also played against Lindahl that year even though he was only a freshmen.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:52 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I played against Kraft his senior year. Also played against Lindahl that year even though he was only a freshmen.

Okay you failed to mention this before!! haha. Well I'm baffled why you feel he wasn't that good to you I guess. Got a list of questions for you if you don't mind

1. Why were you playing MP?
2. Did you win?
3. How did Kraft do? b/c if you held him under 25, that was good
4. How was Lindahl at that age, b/c I played him when he was older
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:30 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Kraft wasn't an excellent bball player I believe I was just arguing that he wasnt the top 5 in ND if I remember right. I thought Lindahl was because he is one of only two in ND history to get 2000 pts and 1000 rebs.

We played MPCG in the state tourney when Kraft was a senior. We won by 25 and held Kraft to 15 and Klabo to 2 pts and 1 reb in that game. We played against Cando in the first game of that season and Lindahl scored 10 but had a lot of blocks and a decent number of rebounds against us. He really started to come on later that season and probably would have scored 15-20 if we played them again.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby roison33 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:50 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Kraft wasn't an excellent bball player I believe I was just arguing that he wasnt the top 5 in ND if I remember right. I thought Lindahl was because he is one of only two in ND history to get 2000 pts and 1000 rebs.

We played MPCG in the state tourney when Kraft was a senior. We won by 25 and held Kraft to 15 and Klabo to 2 pts and 1 reb in that game. We played against Cando in the first game of that season and Lindahl scored 10 but had a lot of blocks and a decent number of rebounds against us. He really started to come on later that season and probably would have scored 15-20 if we played them again.

Well sorry to say but you didn't play Kraft his Sr. year b/c he didn't go to state that year, that was his Jr. year. They lost to Hillsboro two or three times that year including the Region Championship, and that may have been their only losses but I'm not sure. Hillsboro had a solid, very in-shape team with Kacey Coles and Scotty Olsen, but they didn't fare well at state which was surprising.

And just to let you know Leeds was very fun to watch. Maybe not the best I've seen, but still one of my favorite teams ever. Moser was one of those rare players that not only had more skill than most players but also worked harder than anyone out there too. Kind of reminds me of that Singer kid, what do you think?

GO TEAM USA!!
roison33
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:51 pm

roison33 is right. If you would have played against him his Senior year I'm sure you would have a little different opinion of his game. I also loved watching those Leeds teams as well, even the girls had some good talent back in the day.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:28 am

My bad, I thought he was a senior that year. Guess the memory is going now that I've hit 30. I'm glad you guys enjoyed watching us Leeds kids play back then. We always played hard and played as a team. This year's Northstar team plays a lot like we did back then, but they can put up a lot more points than we ever did.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:29 am

Kraft's senior year it was pretty much Kraft, and Kraft as far as the team goes. I am over exaggerating a little but it was an all new crop of players. People forget in 1995 when MPCG lost to Carrington in the Semis Kraft was only an 8th grader while the main crew of Darren Klabo, Tom Jacobson, and Matt Swift were Sophmores. (Someone correct me if I am wrong) When they won state the following 2 seasons he was just a Freshman and Sophomore. (Also didnt he hit the game winner in the state title game his Fr year?) Had he played on a team where he would have been the only go to player from the time he was a freshman he would have scored 2,000 quite possibly very easy. He was a pure shooter and thats why he drew the attention of South Carolina.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics