WDA Game of the Week (2) Bismarck High at Minot

Teams of the West Region

Who will win the WDA Game of the Week (2)?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:17 pm

Bismarck High Demons
43%
Minot Magicians
57%

Total votes : 7

WDA Game of the Week (2) Bismarck High at Minot

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:16 pm

Bismarck High (1-1) Overall at Minot (0-1) Overall
Time: Thursday, December 3rd
Place: Minot High School

Bismarck High and Minot face off on Saturday in Minot to start up the string of big conference games to come in the WDA. Minot has shown promise by playing a relatively close game with the highest acclaimed team in the State so far this year in Grand Forks Central, losing 2-0. However, Bismarck has split its first two nonconference games against the EDC teams North (5-0 Win) and West Fargo (2-1 Loss). This game is likely a big player in how the WDA playoffs will be in February, and every point counts. Bismarck High lost a large senior class from last year, and it will be interesting to see how they match up with the rest of the state as the year goes on.

Results:
Bismarck High Demons - 1
Minot Magicians - 3
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Re: WDA Game of the Week (2) Bismarck High at Minot

Postby goteam11 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:07 pm

During bismarck's first game of the season, a 2-1 overtime loss to west fargo, bhs rolled 4 lines consistently, by the next night in a 5-0 win, bismarck shortened the bench with three lines of forwards and basically four defense. granted North isnt as talented of a team as west, bhs played much better. should be a good game up in minot. oh and FYI the game has been moved to thursday night. Also i was wondering how the game against central went? was it pretty even? does anyone have a shot count or penalties?
goteam11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Top Shelf » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:16 pm

i would say that williston at bottineau would be the game of the week. bottineau has a
great atmosphere inside the rink and both teams have something to prove.
Top Shelf
NDPreps Reserve

Postby the_truth_hurts » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:12 pm

BHS 3-1
the_truth_hurts
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:37 am

Rolling 4 lines or not, that's Bismarck's coaches decision. But a coach should always play to win. Especially when a game is that close or they are losing. They still lost, and that says something about the team/coach, so I hold them to that 2-1 loss to West Fargo.
Williston should roll Bottineau if any of my knowledge of the WDA holds true. This game should be a better one, in my opinion.
I still think BHS should be able to pull through on this one, but holding Central to 2 goals is pretty decent, even if they are a pretty passive team.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Orr4 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:47 pm

i heard bhs lost to minot 3-1 tonight? is that true?
Life is a Game, Hockey is Serious
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Top Shelf » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:21 am

does it really matter that the coach is rolling 4 lines and losing. they lost 17 skaters and from what i read on an early post only have one returning skater from last year. maybe the coach is getting kids experience befor the regional tournament, which might benefit them the most. they might enter the tournament as 6th spot or in the 1st spot, but does it really matter.

as long as you make the tournament you have a chance to win it. i read some post and people wonder if the coach wants to win or roll 4 lines. it seems like fans and parents look for short-term fixes instead of what's best in the long run. i bet if bismarck finishes in the 7th spot during the regular season (which they won't) they will be playing in that championship game.

or maybe bismarck just isn't that good but hey good job minot. i was surprised, i still think they will be on the outside looking in. minot success lays on the shoulder of there goaltender.
Top Shelf
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ih8gophers » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:30 am

Orr4 wrote:i heard bhs lost to minot 3-1 tonight? is that true?

I heard this also. I didn't see the news but if it is true what the heck is wrong with BHS. Minot is not a very strong hockey team. I agree w/ top shelf about Minot being on the outside looking in. Sure they have a great goaltender but you can't ride him all year long w/o any scoring support which I don't think they will get.

HockeyHigh wrote:Williston should roll Bottineau if any of my knowledge of the WDA holds true.

I think Williston is going to get all they want out of Bottineau. I think people will be surprised with this team. Everybody in the west has been getting weaker at the youth level and Bottineau has been getting stronger. Last years Bantam team played at the B level but was forced to play in the A2 state tournament and took 2nd. That team beat every team from the west pretty easily except for 1 of the Bismarck teams.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby goteam11 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:40 am

Chances are that if a team has like 15 penalties, around 40 minutes i think, they shouldnt win the game. BHS outshot minot i think by a couple shots despite being on penalty kill most of the game including a couple 5 on 3's, one of which was in the last 1:30. The minot refs win the game for them almost everytime a team goes up there.
goteam11
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:25 am

Sounds like I picked a decent game, haha. Not what I expected! I'll post up the next game of the week by Sunday night, be on the lookout!
Updated.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby the_truth_hurts » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:08 am

goteam11 wrote:Chances are that if a team has like 15 penalties, around 40 minutes i think, they shouldnt win the game. BHS outshot minot i think by a couple shots despite being on penalty kill most of the game including a couple 5 on 3's, one of which was in the last 1:30. The minot refs win the game for them almost everytime a team goes up there.

I saw penalties were bhs with 11 and minot with 10, not exactly lopsided. saves were bhs with 16 and minot with 20. sounds like a pretty good game to me. looks like minot might turn some heads this year.
the_truth_hurts
NDPreps Starter

Postby ih8gophers » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:39 pm

the_truth_hurts wrote:
goteam11 wrote:Chances are that if a team has like 15 penalties, around 40 minutes i think, they shouldnt win the game. BHS outshot minot i think by a couple shots despite being on penalty kill most of the game including a couple 5 on 3's, one of which was in the last 1:30. The minot refs win the game for them almost everytime a team goes up there.

I saw penalties were bhs with 11 and minot with 10, not exactly lopsided. saves were bhs with 16 and minot with 20. sounds like a pretty good game to me. looks like minot might turn some heads this year.

Ya and then Minot goes and loses to Jamestown. I think it will be a very interesting year. No team is going to run the table that's for sure.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby preps12 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:55 pm

yes...west will be VERY interesting come region time. Minot beats Bismarck Hight then Jamestown beats Minot then Bott. dominates Jamestown...
preps12
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:29 am

preps12 wrote:yes...west will be VERY interesting come region time. Minot beats Bismarck Hight then Jamestown beats Minot then Bott. dominates Jamestown...

I am looking at this like the 3-9 seeds I think Willy and CHS will walk around the rest but we will see.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby preps12 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:16 am

Saucesauer wrote:
preps12 wrote:yes...west will be VERY interesting come region time. Minot beats Bismarck Hight then Jamestown beats Minot then Bott. dominates Jamestown...

I am looking at this like the 3-9 seeds I think Willy and CHS will walk around the rest but we will see.
Agreed Saucesauer...but i believe if they dont come a little ready to play one night they can get beat by the Mandans, Jamestowns, Bottineaus, Bis Highs, and Minots.
preps12
NDPreps Starter

Postby ih8gophers » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:10 pm

Saucesauer wrote:

You think Willy and Century will walk around the rest? Williston has nothing after their top line. They just barely beat Bottineau. With the exception of the first period Bottineau out played Williston and had the better scoring opportunities but just didn't finish on them. I kind of expect that out of a young team like Bottineau. I can't argue with you on Century though. They have the most experience returning in the region and they are now my favorite to win the west after watching Willy. Bottineau comes down to play Century on Friday. Should be an interesting game.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby the_truth_hurts » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:58 pm

after watching williston and century BARELY beat mandan i am far from sold on either team
the_truth_hurts
NDPreps Starter

Return to WDA