Yankees-2009 World Series Champions?

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Yankees-2009 World Series Champions?

Postby Keyz20 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Wow...Joe Nathan, Nick Punto, and the angels defense are making it pretty easy for the yankees to be 5-0 this post season...A-Rod is prolly having the best post season of his career and Yankee pitching is holdin down the fort pretty well...any thoughts in how the yankees will finish out the year?
Keyz20
NDPreps Starter

Re: Yankees-2009 World Series Champions?

Postby baseball » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:12 pm

Swept by the Dodgers and Joe Torre walks up to the owners box to laugh in their face.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby gobison#6 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:38 pm

All I know is I dont want the Yankees to win, but they probably will.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby theman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:11 am

I was really hoping that the Angels would beat the Yanks, but 2-0 (eh) I don't know. The Yanks will make the world series to face the Phillies, and the only game the Phillies win will be the pitchers duel between C.C. Sabathia and Cliff Lee (who, might I add is my pick for mvp of the whole playoffs so far, with A-Rod closely following).
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby project-pat » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:25 pm

Let's hear it for Newwwwwwwww Yoooooooooooooooooork!!
I'm just a soul who's intentions are good..oh lord..please don't let me be missunderstood! What's understood ain't gotta be explained..but you don't understand me so let me explain..
project-pat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:02 pm

Yankees stink. of money. they stink of money. They SHOULD win for crying out loud. If baseball ever needed a salary cap, this year is the most perfect example there could possibly be: the final four was New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, and Los Angeles.

Just think if there were no salary caps in any sports. Would Pittsburgh be sitting with 2 world championships right now? Just look at the freakin' Pirates.

Yankees stink. Yankees stink. Yankees stink. Geez, I hate the Yankees.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:56 pm

I hate the Yankees to. I just wish the Cubs would spend the money to.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:19 pm

cubsfan wrote:I hate the Yankees to. I just wish the Cubs would spend the money to.

3rd highest payroll in baseball isn't enough for you?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby duke_boy90 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:37 pm

project-pat wrote:Let's hear it for Newwwwwwwww Yoooooooooooooooooork!!

As much as I hate the yankees....that's a darn good song :)
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby cubsfan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:55 am

Flip wrote:
cubsfan wrote:I hate the Yankees to. I just wish the Cubs would spend the money to.

3rd highest payroll in baseball isn't enough for you?

If they spend 300 million and dont win a world series that wouldn't be enough for me either.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:16 pm

project-pat wrote:Let's hear it for Newwwwwwwww Yoooooooooooooooooork!!

talk about making a come back after a long absence....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby MARKWALD23 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:16 pm

Hinsa wrote:Yankees stink. of money. they stink of money. They SHOULD win for crying out loud. If baseball ever needed a salary cap, this year is the most perfect example there could possibly be: the final four was New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, and Los Angeles.

Just think if there were no salary caps in any sports. Would Pittsburgh be sitting with 2 world championships right now? Just look at the freakin' Pirates.

I don't think you should be talking about the Yankees spending money. I see your a Twins fan. The Twins owner has a TONS of money which most of it goes into his pocket and not into the team. Don't be hating the Yankees just becuase the Steinbrenner's put that much back into the team every year.
MARKWALD23
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:41 pm

MARKWALD23 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:Yankees stink. of money. they stink of money. They SHOULD win for crying out loud. If baseball ever needed a salary cap, this year is the most perfect example there could possibly be: the final four was New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, and Los Angeles.

I don't think you should be talking about the Yankees spending money. I see your a Twins fan. The Twins owner has a TONS of money which most of it goes into his pocket and not into the team. Don't be hating the Yankees just becuase the Steinbrenner's put that much back into the team every year.

Ton of money compared to who? people like me and you, or people like George Steinbrenner?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby MARKWALD23 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:52 pm

baseball wrote:
MARKWALD23 wrote:

Ton of money compared to who? people like me and you, or people like George Steinbrenner?

Pohland is worth nearly 2.9 billion. The Boss is worth around 3 Billion. Is it bad that he puts a lot of money back into the team where as all these owners put in back into their pocket. The Yankees are worth 1.3 Billion.
MARKWALD23
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:08 am

Net worth of the owner is not a good indicator of what the owner has to spend on the team. The stinking Yankees have a FAT contract for local television, they charge up the ying-yang for ticket prices, so they have much, much more revenue to spend on the team. Twins revenue pales in comparison to Yankees revenue. The other major sports leagues figured out a long time ago that they had to share revenue to maintain competitive balance.

That's why the Yankees stink. Stink of money. Go buy whatever players you want. And where does Derek Jeter get off saying that's it's been a long time (since they celebrated)? That's the arrogance of the Yankees - if they aren't winning every other year they think their world is ending.

What a pile of crap. And crap stinks. Just like the Yankees. Stink of money.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby MARKWALD23 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:53 am

Hinsa wrote:Net worth of the owner is not a good indicator of what the owner has to spend on the team. The stinking Yankees have a FAT contract for local television, they charge up the ying-yang for ticket prices, so they have much, much more revenue to spend on the team. Twins revenue pales in comparison to Yankees revenue. The other major sports leagues figured out a long time ago that they had to share revenue to maintain competitive balance.

That's why the Yankees stink. Stink of money. Go buy whatever players you want. And where does Derek Jeter get off saying that's it's been a long time (since they celebrated)? That's the arrogance of the Yankees - if they aren't winning every other year they think their world is ending.

What a pile of crap. And crap stinks. Just like the Yankees. Stink of money.

Money doesn't buy championships. I know that they have the money to go out and get great players but they still have to go out on the field and play the game.I think it was Hank Steinbrenner. His quote was golden. He said some along the lines of "if you want to hate on the Yankees how about you return that luxary tax that we pay you."
MARKWALD23
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:00 pm

You are right Mark, you can't buy championships, but you can certainly buy your way into the playoffs almost every year. That's why I laugh my arss off whenever things don't go well for the Yankees.

As for the luxury tax, that's chump change to them. It doesn't affect them in the least or they wouldn't pay it. The only way to keep competitive balance is to limit what everyone can spend.

I hate the Yankees and the Twins can keep the extravagant portion of the luxury tax they get. What is that, $2-3M? That's just enough to pay Nicky Punto's salary, which is another topic all unto itself. Only in America can a talent like Nick Punto make over $2M/year. And have it paid by a competitor. Who stinks of money.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:51 pm

The word talent and Nick Punto do not belong in the same sentence. And only in America can someone like Punto make 4 million.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Couple of stats: The Yankees payroll is 43% higher than the 2nd highest payroll, the Mets. The difference between the top two payrolls is roughly $63 million. That is roughly the same difference between 2nd highest payroll and the 14th highest payroll, the Giants. Thats right, the difference between 1 and 2 is the same difference between 2 and 14. Crazy.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:52 pm

The Yankees three top paid players (A-rod, Jeter, and Texeira) could pay for twelve teams entire salary.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby theman » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:33 pm

cubsfan wrote:The word talent and Nick Punto do not belong in the same sentence. And only in America can someone like Punto make 4 million.

Nick Punto is a more complete player than 99% of the Cubs' players. (Notice i said COMPLETE). Did you even watch the playoff race? Did you see how many quality at-bats Punto had to go along with heads-up, lights-out defense? Sure he made one baserunning mistake, but he's human.
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:07 pm

theman wrote:
cubsfan wrote:The word talent and Nick Punto do not belong in the same sentence. And only in America can someone like Punto make 4 million.

Nick Punto is a more complete player than 99% of the Cubs' players. (Notice i said COMPLETE). Did you even watch the playoff race? Did you see how many quality at-bats Punto had to go along with heads-up, lights-out defense? Sure he made one baserunning mistake, but he's human.

I love the twins...but i would love for you to explain to me how Nick Punto is a complete player...he is an above average defensive player, a well below average hitter, and his baserunning isn't what it was 3 years ago.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Since you are talking about the Yankees payroll, here is an interesting read.

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/11 ... s-payroll/

"The Yankees are not a big market team. They DWARF big market teams. They are quantitatively different from every other team in baseball and every other team in American sports. They don’t just spend more money than every other team. They spend A LOT more money than every other team. The Boston Red Sox spend $50 million more than the Kansas City Royals? Who cares? The Yankees spend $80 million more than the Boston Red Sox.

The Yankees have a pat hand."
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby MARKWALD23 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:54 pm

1) The Yankees have EARNED that money through years of success, and the yankee owner, UNLIKE many owners who DONT CARE if their team wins or loses, likes to SPEND that EARNED money.

2) Due to the Yankees WINNING constantly, they always end up with bad draft picks. The Yankees should be praised in comparison to teams such as THE RAYS, who simply LOSE FOR A LONG TIME, and get JACKED UP with 1st ROUND DRAFT PICKS. Yankees SPEND money because they DO NOT HAVE the same top picks as the RAYS. The RAYS have a low payroll, but they have more 1st round draft picks than any other team.

3) A decent amount of their "high payroll" comes from their core players from years past, who ask for a lot of money because they know the yankees have the money to pay them.
MARKWALD23
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:20 am

Very valid points, Markwald. But I'm not asking for justification of why they Yankees spend all that money. The fact is they DO spend all that money. And it just isn't good for baseball for one team to be able to buy up any players they want and to have 80% of the league with no chance of winning a championship.

That's why the Yankees stink. Of money.

Yes, I realize I'm being obnoxious about the Yankees stinking. But think about how defeated millions of baseball fans feel even before each season starts because their team has NO CHANCE to compete.

If the Twins could afford to keep their players, I'd take this lineup and put it up against the Yankees any day:

1 - Span - LF
2 - Luis Castillo - 2B
3 - Mauer - C
4 - Morneau - 1B
5 - Torrie Hunter - CF
6 - Cuddyer - RF
7 - Kubel - DH
8 - Jason Bartlett - SS (they wouldn't have traded him if they could have kept Hunter and put Span in LF)
9 - Pick a 3rd baseman, any decent free agent the Twins could have picked up, instead of the retreads or emergency replacements they've had to try and get by with since Koskie left

Pitching rotation:

Santana
Slowey
Baker
Pavano
Blackburn

Bullpen:
Neshek
Rauch
Guerrier
Mijares
Duensing