They play Fargo Oak Grove's Varsity tonight
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: Best JV Teams around???

Postby 3Putt » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:24 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Baller wrote:South's JV is undefeated

South won easily but it sounds like Oak Grove was hit pretty hard by the flu. I think the only team that has pushed them is Moorhead. Its interesting that South JV is undefeated but their varsity is in the bottom half of the EDC.
3Putt
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:02 pm

3Putt wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Baller wrote:South's JV is undefeated

South won easily but it sounds like Oak Grove was hit pretty hard by the flu. I think the only team that has pushed them is Moorhead. Its interesting that South JV is undefeated but their varsity is in the bottom half of the EDC.

Oak Grove was missing their #1 and #2 setters due to the flu and a hitter (but she hasn't played for over 3 weeks). So Oak Grove had their Libero play the setter and had a sophomore with little experience play Libero.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby crosscountry » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:26 pm

BHS varsity is the best jv
Aaannd boom goes the dynamite
crosscountry
NDPreps Reserve

Postby volleyball*6 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:53 pm

Any for B???
volleyball*6
NDPreps Rookie

Postby vballfan06 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:13 am

central cass JV is always tough--and wyndmere-lidgerwood's was tough this year. should be though--they have kids playing JV this year, that started on the varsity a year ago (before the co-op). Both teams played in the regional tournament last year.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby vb1 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:35 pm

BHS JV has only lost once to a class B team. They are very strong all around,
vb1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sportsnut24 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:41 pm

crosscountry wrote:BHS varsity is the best jv

reallly?? is this why they are number one in the state right now?
i would NOT be comparing them to a JV team.
sportsnut24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mr. All Day » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:13 pm

sportsnut24 wrote:

idk they would make a very good JV team oooo and congrats on being 1st in state but when it gets down to it they will crumble
Mr. All Day
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vb1 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:56 pm

I am guessing if you are comparing BHS to a JV team you don't know a lot about volleyball. There are a lot of great teams this year in class A but BHS has one of the most balanced teams. It's hard to find a weakness with them.

It will be interesting to see what happens as the season comes to a close.
vb1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sportsnut24 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:58 pm

Mr. All Day wrote:
sportsnut24 wrote:

idk they would make a very good JV team oooo and congrats on being 1st in state but when it gets down to it they will crumble

i agree with vb1, you don't know a lot about volleyball if you think they are a good JV team. thats a joke to say something like that. they don't have much of a weekness, watching them play is awesome, they pull it together very well.
post season should be interesting, but i can promise you will not see them cumble.
sportsnut24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bismarckballer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:14 pm

sportsnut24 wrote:
Mr. All Day wrote:
sportsnut24 wrote:

i agree with vb1, you don't know a lot about volleyball if you think they are a good JV team. thats a joke to say something like that. they don't have much of a weekness, watching them play is awesome, they pull it together very well.
post season should be interesting, but i can promise you will not see them cumble.

I'm pretty sure what Mr. All Day meant by saying that BHS Varsity has the best JV team is that BHS plays some of their main varsity girls on JV, then plays them again in varsity, which i see as wrong. Let the JV girls play their games, the varsity girls have their own games. So No wonder BHS is doing so well, they get extra games.
bismarckballer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby jimmie44 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:16 am

bismarckballer wrote:
sportsnut24 wrote:
Mr. All Day wrote:
sportsnut24 wrote:

I'm pretty sure what Mr. All Day meant by saying that BHS Varsity has the best JV team is that BHS plays some of their main varsity girls on JV, then plays them again in varsity, which i see as wrong. Let the JV girls play their games, the varsity girls have their own games. So No wonder BHS is doing so well, they get extra games.

Yes, that is exactly what they do. Some of their JV/Varsity players get six sets in per night, 3 JV and then play 3 varsity. If they are going to use them so much for the varsity match, I consider them varsity players, not JV players. Why not let other girls see the court in the JV match? As an opponent, I am sure girls feel bad when they get beat by BHS JV, but when you have varsity players playing the JV match, that's nothing to feel bad about. But it sure is frustrating! :x
jimmie44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 3Putt » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:04 pm

jimmie44 wrote:
<snip>

Yes, that is exactly what they do. Some of their JV/Varsity players get six sets in per night, 3 JV and then play 3 varsity. If they are going to use them so much for the varsity match, I consider them varsity players, not JV players. Why not let other girls see the court in the JV match? As an opponent, I am sure girls feel bad when they get beat by BHS JV, but when you have varsity players playing the JV match, that's nothing to feel bad about. But it sure is frustrating! :x

I agree with you. It should be a rare occaision (like an injury) when a player plays 6 sets in a night. Winning JV matches should not be a priority.

Fargo South's situation is the exact opposite of this. The JV players very rarely play in any varisty matches. They play their two sets and maybe get to sit on the bench for the varsity match.
3Putt
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mr. All Day » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:17 pm

thats exactly wat i ment
Mr. All Day
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsnut24 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:22 pm

3Putt wrote:
jimmie44 wrote:
<snip>

I agree with you. It should be a rare occaision (like an injury) when a player plays 6 sets in a night. Winning JV matches should not be a priority.

Fargo South's situation is the exact opposite of this. The JV players very rarely play in any varisty matches. They play their two sets and maybe get to sit on the bench for the varsity match.

i have been to almost every BHS match and haven't noticed that varsity players play JV...????
they suffered an injury of a middle hitter and a JV player stepped in really well but she isn't played in any JV matchs anymore, not even dressing..
i have noticed there are two utilities that get varsity minutes and play 3 JV sets, but that is what JV/V is all about...playing together and giving everyone varsity experience. the seven varsity players all get goood playing time so i'm confused as to what they are doing wrong.?
sportsnut24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vb1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:21 pm

3Putt wrote:
jimmie44 wrote:
<snip>

sportsnut24 wrote:
3Putt wrote:
jimmie44 wrote:
<snip>

i have been to almost every BHS match and haven't noticed that varsity players play JV...????
they suffered an injury of a middle hitter and a JV player stepped in really well but she isn't played in any JV matchs anymore, not even dressing..
i have noticed there are two utilities that get varsity minutes and play 3 JV sets, but that is what JV/V is all about...playing together and giving everyone varsity experience. the seven varsity players all get goood playing time so i'm confused as to what they are doing wrong.?

Due to a season ending injury to one of the middles BHS had to pull their rightside to the middle which meant they had an open position. There are two girls who share that position right know. One is a setter who they need to set for JV and the other is a middle. With the loss of one middle already I am guessing they do not have enough players to fill the middle anymore.
vb1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sportsnut24 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:08 pm

vb1 wrote:
3Putt wrote:
jimmie44 wrote:
<snip>

sportsnut24 wrote:
3Putt wrote:
jimmie44 wrote:
<snip>

Due to a season ending injury to one of the middles BHS had to pull their rightside to the middle which meant they had an open position. There are two girls who share that position right know. One is a setter who they need to set for JV and the other is a middle. With the loss of one middle already I am guessing they do not have enough players to fill the middle anymore.

vb1 you are exactly right. i also noticed that. Some players just have to play with both teams because of injuries and other inconvenieces. i find absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. :)
sportsnut24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby jimmie44 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:50 pm

When filling teams in August, coaches fill their rosters with more girls than they are ever going to use. At the Century/Jamestown match last night, Century had 13 girls dressing JV, and a handful proceeded to dress varsity, with a few getting considerable playing time. How many of the non-varsity dressers played in the JV game? It is understandable that injuries can mean players moving up to play varsity, but why have them playing JV also? The Jamestown JV team had 10 girls dressing, all of which played. 2 proceeded to dress varsity, but did not play. IMO, that's what JV is about....getting girls ready to play varsity. Not getting extra playing time for those girls who made the varsity. And not stacking your JV team with varsity players so you can look good and win all your games. Kudos to those who have SEPARATE JV and Varsity players.
jimmie44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:32 pm

South has 9 JV players with 4 sophs that dress. There is one JV player that sometimes gets to play varisity depending on injuries and when she plays varsity she only gets to play one JV game and then one of the sophomores plays. The JV players got in the last few points of the Central match but this rarely happens. Sophomores get to play 6 games a night so you can play those girls in the JV games instead of varsity girls moving down to play.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsnut24 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:35 pm

jimmie44 wrote:When filling teams in August, coaches fill their rosters with more girls than they are ever going to use. At the Century/Jamestown match last night, Century had 13 girls dressing JV, and a handful proceeded to dress varsity, with a few getting considerable playing time. How many of the non-varsity dressers played in the JV game? It is understandable that injuries can mean players moving up to play varsity, but why have them playing JV also? The Jamestown JV team had 10 girls dressing, all of which played. 2 proceeded to dress varsity, but did not play. IMO, that's what JV is about....getting girls ready to play varsity. Not getting extra playing time for those girls who made the varsity. And not stacking your JV team with varsity players so you can look good and win all your games. Kudos to those who have SEPARATE JV and Varsity players.

i don't think there is a JV team in the WDA that stacks there team with varsity players. How are JV players supposed to be prepared to play varsity next year if they never step on the court in a varsity match?????
its about experience, having that brings players confidence, and confidence is everything
sportsnut24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby jimmie44 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:23 pm

Being prepared for varsity doesn't mean actually playing varsity right now.....it means making sure they learn the skills to be a varsity player next season, or even later in the season if they are making strides to be a better player, a player the varsity could use! Making sure they know defensive positions, different sets and plays, can read hitters, etc., are things to work on at the JV level so that when players GET to varsity, they are already comfortable with them and can work on "higher level" skills. If a player is good enough to play on the varsity team but are still playing JV, I think they are taking playing time away from the girls who need that JV time to work on the skills needed to be a varsity player in the future.
jimmie44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsnut24 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:59 am

jimmie44 wrote:Being prepared for varsity doesn't mean actually playing varsity right now.....it means making sure they learn the skills to be a varsity player next season, or even later in the season if they are making strides to be a better player, a player the varsity could use! Making sure they know defensive positions, different sets and plays, can read hitters, etc., are things to work on at the JV level so that when players GET to varsity, they are already comfortable with them and can work on "higher level" skills. If a player is good enough to play on the varsity team but are still playing JV, I think they are taking playing time away from the girls who need that JV time to work on the skills needed to be a varsity player in the future.

i agree that there are certain skills that JV players need to work on during a jv match and thats what they are there for is to improve for the future...but i think there is only so much you can learn on a JV court...if you wanna throw someone onto a varsity team in the future that has never set foot into a varsity match it is going to be a shock to them. I guess we just have different opinions.
sportsnut24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby jimmie44 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:12 pm

I have no problem with a JV girl moving up if she deserves it. And that usually does happen in a season. But when you are regularly USING JV players on the varsity, why continue to have them play JV? Experience is important, I agree, but not equal varsity and JV time for players. If a girl is good enough to be in the varsity rotation, that is where she should be. Not taking that valuable time away from those girls who don't get in the varsity rotations.
jimmie44
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Volleyball