Steve McNair...

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Steve McNair...

Postby baseball » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:28 pm

murdered...

wow....crazy week.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Re: Steve McNair...

Postby duke_boy90 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:59 pm

R.I.P Air McNair. Great player, great person, and just one yard short of a Super Bowl
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison22 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Agreed. amazing player.
Bison22
NDPreps Rookie

Postby classB4ever » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:16 pm

Steve McNair was an above average football player. He was a black quarterback in the NFL, which in itself was an incredible hurdle to overcome. However, sports are not everything. From what I have read (second hand of course) he was far from the perfect husband and/or father. Give him his due for his NFL career, but please don't gild him in gold.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:40 pm

Good thing this is a sports forum so we can praise his NFL career i guess? why do you say he wasnt a good husband/father? because he was dating a 20 yr old while married? I take it your believe the story that they werent seperating and he was cheating on her because that makes him look bad. No chance that it actually was true that they were seperating. he did a lot of work with charities and youth organizations not to mention everything he did for the city of Nashville. not saying you have to "gild him in gold", but one mistake doesnt mean you have to consider him the worst man on the planet.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Milkman » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:25 am

I can see where classb4ever is coming from. We tend to romanticize or exaggerate a persons life after their passing. Best example is Michael Jackson. Great musician, very very weird disturbing person. after his death everyone forgot about that second part and talked about how they were life long MJ fans.

But I agree with Baseball. From what I've seen and read Steve McNair was skilled QB who was very active in his community and probably a better role model than some of the athletes out there today. He was a good man who was not perfect and made mistakes and I believe he should be remember that way.
Let’s go cut down some nets boys.

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:23 pm

Milkman wrote:But I agree with Baseball. From what I've seen and read Steve McNair was skilled QB who was very active in his community and probably a better role model than some of the athletes out there today. He was a good man who was not perfect and made mistakes and I believe he should be remember that way.

exactly...not saying he was the perfect guy. but if the worst thing you do is cheat on your wife these days its not so bad. you here all the time athletes getting into fights at clubs and being part of gang shootings. being high on drugs, etc. McNair was only dating 2 women, again....not the right thing to do, but far from the worst he could do.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:24 pm

First off, where was it ever written that "he was the worst man on the planet"????? I was referring to the "great person" statement. What makes him a great person? He was said to have more then one woman on the side. Had been known to have a stripper in the twin cities that he had been seeing for many years. Had a girlfriend that was known to use drugs on a regular basis, so he was at least around drugs. Was dating another one, other then the one that killed him. How many other places did he have women? Once again, I am stressing that these are articles that I have read and are second hand, but they have not been denied. What were his sons doing when all this was going on?

Secondly, I should hope that these athletes, with the amount of money they make, can do some charitable work in their communities. That certainly isn't too much to ask since it is those fans that pay most of his salary.

baseball wrote:
Milkman wrote:But I agree with Baseball. From what I've seen and read Steve McNair was skilled QB who was very active in his community and probably a better role model than some of the athletes out there today. He was a good man who was not perfect and made mistakes and I believe he should be remember that way.

exactly...not saying he was the perfect guy. but if the worst thing you do is cheat on your wife these days its not so bad. you here all the time athletes getting into fights at clubs and being part of gang shootings. being high on drugs, etc. McNair was only dating 2 women, again....not the right thing to do, but far from the worst he could do.

I am assuming you are not married with this statement. If so, would love to hear what your wife has to say. You are comparing McNair to the worst athletes to make your point. If a prisoner is in a maximum security prison for murder, but is the best prisoner there, does that make him a great person? I realize this is an extreme analogy, but I am trying to make a point.

Steve McNair's death was a tragedy and very unfortunate, especially for his direct family. All I am stating is that putting him on a pedestal for being a great person might be a bit premature and should come from his family first, which hasn't happened yet.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:30 pm

im 21...no i am not married. im not saying what he did wasnt wrong, im just saying there are a ton of worse things he couldve done. if you tihnking cheating is the worst thing a person can do....wow. he never hit his wife and/or kids, wasnt an alcoholic/drug dealer, didnt organize dog fights, didnt carry concealed weapons into clubs. He slept with a woman that wasnt his wife....wrong? yes. deserving of being labeled a terrible person? no.

I'm not married, but im assuming you are by asking that question? go ask your wife if she would rather be married to a guy who made a mistake and slept with another woman, or a serial killer?

of course athletes can do charitable work with all the money they make, but you would be suprised how little some athletes do. McNair has numerous rec centers, charities, etc. under his name. he opens family restaurants, spent the majority of his free time with kids and youth organizations (something you dont have to have money to do).

I wouldnt call him the ideal role model...but he is more of a good person then a bad one.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby maryTisraining3's » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:24 pm

Do you mean the free time he had after he had spent his time with his "other" women???
maryTisraining3's
NDPreps Reserve

Postby classB4ever » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:44 am

baseball, I think our difference here is the word "great". In my own opinion, he was not a great person. It is proven that he slept with multiple women during the same time period. I never stated that this is the "worst" thing a person can do, but it should be enough to make him less then a great person. As for hitting his wife or kids, I don't know if he did or didn't do these things. As I stated earlier, I think it is up to the family to tell us what kind of family man he was. That hasn't happened yet. I personally don't know if he used drugs, but do know that he was around them. I don't know if he was an alcoholic, but do know he was drunk when murdered. I do know that if he was spending all this time with charitable events, taking care of these other women and playing pro ball, that someone wasn't getting his time (wife/boys).
I will certainly agree with you that he did some great things in his community and was a very good NFL quarterback and should be commended for both. I will give you the last say.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things