Tyler Handsborough all time ranking

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Tyler Handsborough all time ranking

Postby duke_boy90 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:36 pm

Where does he rank among the top players in college basketball history. He is the ACC all time leading scorer and has a national championship under his belt now. I would maybe put him in the top ten. Any thoughts???
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Re: Tyler Handsborough all time ranking

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:46 pm

duke_boy90 wrote:Where does he rank among the top players in college basketball history. He is the ACC all time leading scorer and has a national championship under his belt now. I would maybe put him in the top ten. Any thoughts???

Top 5, maybe top 3
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:52 pm

The Schwab wrote:
duke_boy90 wrote:Where does he rank among the top players in college basketball history. He is the ACC all time leading scorer and has a national championship under his belt now. I would maybe put him in the top ten. Any thoughts???

Top 5, maybe top 3

Pete Maravich
Magic Johnson
Christian Leatner
Larry Bird
Danny Manning
Wilt Chamberlain
Michael Jordan
Bobby Hurley
Lew Alcindor

you would put him in the top 3?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:56 pm

baseball wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Top 5, maybe top 3

Pete Maravich
Magic Johnson
Christian Leatner
Larry Bird
Danny Manning
Wilt Chamberlain
Michael Jordan
Bobby Hurley
Lew Alcindor

you would put him in the top 3?

4 time all american, i would put him ahead of everyone on your list except Lew Alcindor, and I would add Bill Walton and Ralph Sampson. Strictly College careers now
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:23 pm

yea college careers...Maravich averaged 44 points for his career (over 4400 points but his freshman stats dont count). Leatner is argueably the best college player of all time. Chamberlain was the most dominant big man ever to play college ball. Manning had nearly 3000 points, 1200 rebounds and 350 assists, had 200 blocks and 250 steals, shot 60% from the floor for his career.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:50 pm

I gotta agree with Schwab with top five. Alcindor Walton Sampson Maravich Hansbrough
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:47 pm

This is a tough one. Are we considering the longevity of his college career in here, or just his accolades, or both. Either way, as much as I hate to say it, he is up there.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:06 pm

here's they way I look at it.....he put up big numbers because he was a regular 4 year player in an era where all the good players never stayed more then 3...and most teams were lucky to have them for 3. he wasnt better then guys like Durant, Beasley, Griffin, Love, Rose, Mayo, Oden, Carmelo, etc...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:18 pm

baseball wrote:here's they way I look at it.....he put up big numbers because he was a regular 4 year player in an era where all the good players never stayed more then 3...and most teams were lucky to have them for 3. he wasnt better then guys like Durant, Beasley, Griffin, Love, Rose, Mayo, Oden, Carmelo, etc...

I agree with you talent wise all those guys are ahead of Handsborough if they all stick around 4 years they are no doubt ahead of him. Talent wise Handsborough isn't even in the top 25 college players of all time but if you go by what he accomplished over a 4 year span at Carolina he's top 5 to me. Thats the way i look at it.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:19 pm

baseball wrote:here's they way I look at it.....he put up big numbers because he was a regular 4 year player in an era where all the good players never stayed more then 3...and most teams were lucky to have them for 3. he wasnt better then guys like Durant, Beasley, Griffin, Love, Rose, Mayo, Oden, Carmelo, etc...

He didn't have the talent, no. But stats wise and achievement wise, tough to argue. I hate watching him play, but he's in the Top 5
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:46 pm

ndfan wrote:

I agree with you talent wise all those guys are ahead of Handsborough if they all stick around 4 years they are no doubt ahead of him. Talent wise Handsborough isn't even in the top 25 college players of all time but if you go by what he accomplished over a 4 year span at Carolina he's top 5 to me. Thats the way i look at it.

That was my point...4 years. but because them guys only played 1-2 years their numbers arent as impressive. I'd put it towards the top too...but Top 5 college players EVER??? just dont see that...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby duke_boy90 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:03 pm

I think Alcinder,Walton, Lattener, Manning, Chamberlin, Maravich, and Sampson all were better players IMO. There are probably a few others so I would prob. put him at 10 or 11 on the list
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby duke_boy90 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:18 pm

duke_boy90 wrote:I think Alcinder,Walton, Lattener, Manning, Chamberlin, Maravich, and Sampson all were better players IMO. There are probably a few others so I would prob. put him at 10 or 11 on the list

I'll also put Bill Russel and Oscar Robertson ahead of him
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:23 pm

how many 4 time 1st team all american's are there?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:38 pm

The Schwab wrote:how many 4 time 1st team all american's are there?

thats a trick question...how many freshman 1st team all-americans stay 4 years?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:43 pm

baseball wrote:
The Schwab wrote:how many 4 time 1st team all american's are there?

thats a trick question...how many freshman 1st team all-americans stay 4 years?

Ok..I'm not saying that he is a top 5 college TALENT ever, I'm saying that with what he's accomplished in his 4 years puts him as a top 5 college PLAYER ever.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:03 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3230172

you think he's better then 20 of the guys on that list..?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:18 pm

My List:

1.Bill Walton – UCLA
2.Kareem Abdul-Jabbar(Lew Alcindor) - UCLA
3.Oscar Robertson - Cincinnati
4.Bill Russell - San Francisco
5.Ralph Sampson - Virginia
6.Pete Maravich – LSU
7.Tyler Hansbrough- UNC
8.David Thompson – North Carolina State
9.Larry Bird - Indiana State
10.Tom Gola - La Salle College

My Top 10
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby duke_boy90 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:09 pm

It's hard because some had better stats than Handsborough, but didn't win as much. Others won more than Handsborough, but didn't have as good as stats like Laettner, though he put up great numbers.
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri May 01, 2009 12:36 pm

What makes Hansbrough one of the greatest college players ever is that he WAS willing to stay in college after being a first team all-american as a freshman. There are plenty of people better than Hansbrough that have played over the years but they weren't there for four years. I don't know of many players who have collegiate stats, accomplishments, awards better than Hansbrough. His game improved each year he was in college. Free throw percentage went from 74% as a freshman to 85% as a senior. He averaged 20+ ppg over a four year span, only the second player in ACC history to do that. Four year first team all-american and unanimous selection in 2008. First player ever to be a Unanimous first-team all-ACC member as a freshman. I mean I could go on for a long time here. I know he's not near as talented as many of the guys named but there is nothing anyone can say about his accomplishments to take away from what he did. I'd say he's in the top 5 for sure and maybe higher.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things