Mayville State FB

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:30 pm

This was a big thing on the DAC board for a while. Mayville State fired its head coach after this season cause i think they won like 6 games in 4 seasons. They interviewed a college coach from Iowa, the D-Coordinator for Mayville, and Rod Oksendahl from Cavalier. They offered the job to the Iowa guy he turned it down. So they gave the job to the MaSU d-coordinator. A guy who's defense gave up 1,277 pts in four seasons at Mayville. I was told the reason Oksendahl wasnt offered job was because he had no college coaching experience. I was just wondering what people think. If you had to hire a guy to try save your program would you go with a guy that hardly anybody knows in the state? or would you go with a Oksendahl who everybody football wise knows in the state? I was disappointed when i heard he wasn't offered the job. But o well. Love to hear other opinions on this.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:49 am

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Oksendahl had a list of things that he would need in order to make Mayville St. competative which they were not willing to provide.  I think he had some leverage because he didn't need a job, but that they came to him and asked him to apply.  I think they ran into the same problems that they have in recruiting players to the school, lack of highly qualified candidates.  Not many people are willing to take a chance on a small college in a cold weather state with a history of being underfunded and unable to win many games.  Hopefully the new coach can bring some success to the program, good luck to him.

I like Mayville, even as a V.C.S.U. alumnus I wish the old rivals well, because it bodes well for our state.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby hfs77 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:14 pm

As an MSU alum (and former football player) I can honestly say I don't think the Comets will ever have a successful program.   There just isn't the money or interest to get quality kids to stay at the school.  Sure, they can get tons of recruits, but most don't bother sticking around.  Take the mid-90's for example....my senior year of HS, MSU had somewhere around 50-60 freshman.  I believe there were about 6 or 7 true freshman starting on defense alone, and about 6-7 that were at least All-NDCAC honorable mention or higher. (so of course I bought into the notion they were gonna be a great team in a few years)

I think maybe 4 or 5 of that class stuck around for four years.  And of course, they never had a winning season in all of those years (haven't since 1990)

ANYway, I do think hiring Oksendahl would've helped greatly....if nothing else because of local support ($$) and getting more local players that would come play for him.

just my two cents...
hfs77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:51 pm

I agree with ya 100% hfs I just don't see them having a successful program anytime soon. There best players from outta state usually end up leaving the program after a year or two for one reason or another. I honestly believe they should just drop the program and use that money somewhere else. If your not gonna fund something properly then don't fund it at all. They also aren't ever able to get any of the better fb players in the state, Minot got Tommy Weidler from Velva, Jamestown got Lemar boys from Harvey, and Dickinson got Glasser from Trinity a couple years ago. All are NAIA schools. Well hopefully Ford can do something with the program.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:31 pm

Already a big hit for the Comets football team this year. Greg Godfrey there all conference Wide Receiver and by far best player was kicked off the team from what i heard was missing a mandatory meeting. Huge blow for MaSU, had to be a tough decision by coach Ford to do something like that. Not the way you wanna start your first few months as head coach.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby hfs77 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:52 pm

Yeah, I heard about that today.  Pure speculation, but I'm guessing there had been previous problems or something....to kick off your star player for missing a meeting seems pretty bold for a brand new head coach.

meh...who knows?
hfs77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wombat » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:24 pm

I have heard that Coach Ford met with Godfrey and gave him an ultimatum... Change was not in Godfrey's interest so he will not be returning.

I have heard rumor that he may be giong to a D2 school in California somewhere. Don't know for sure though.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:14 pm

I heard MaSU dropped there soccer programs. Is there any truth to that? I don't think they have had it for more then 2 or 3 yrs now. Will this have any affect on other sports there?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby hfs77 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:21 pm

Yeah, I heard that they dropped soccer, too.  I hope it's true....I don't see why they would add a sport with little or no local interest, when they can't even properly fund the teams they have.
hfs77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 1337 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:08 pm

Yep this indeed did happen. It not cool for the people involved (players, coaches) but it obviously was not a good idea from the start. What is up with Mayville? I really hope they can get their act together soon!
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lefty » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:15 pm

godfrey quit, he did not get kicked off...and he's going to a d2 school in colorado
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:23 am

What D-2 school will Godfrey be going to in Colorado? Good to hear, hopefully its somewhere that can compete and win. Best of luck to him.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby lefty » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:13 am

Adams State, i'm not sure where its located in CO
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:08 pm

Here's webcast for mayville state-hamline game. It's about halftime right now and MaSU is down 35-0. Its got video of the so you can watch check it out see what ya think of this team its not pretty.

http://www.hamline.edu/hamline_info/ath ... sched.html
Last edited by ndfan on Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:14 pm

not sure how much this adds, but here is hamline's schedule from last year.

UM-Morris

Gustavus

Bethel

St. John's

Concordia

Augsburg
19 (2OT)

St. Olaf

Macalester

St. Thomas

Carleton
Record: 3-7, 1-7 in MIAC
Head Coach: Paul Miller
rep

Postby ndfan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:50 pm

Hamline beat Mayville State tonight 38-7. I don't think this team looks any better then they have in the past. Coach Ford is gonna have his hands full this season.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:12 pm

JC pretty much kicked around the Comets today...the guy on the radio said that the Jimmies held MSU to a grand total of two yards in the game. if that is true, i would venture a guess that is probably pretty close to a conference record.
rep

Postby ndfan » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:15 am

I was at the game and it wouldn't surprise me if they were held to that many yards, actually I'm surprised they weren't in the negative. I stayed for the whole thing and honestly don't think they got into Jamestown territory. The offense is so terrible its not even funny. Linemen cant pass or run block, running back can't do anything cause he has no line, QB when he does have time to throw, throws it over the receivers heads. Wide receivers have tough time catching the ball. Defense is a little better then the offense but they are nothing to hype up, but its tough when your on the field most of the time cause your offense has troubles getting one first down in the game. Special teams coverage is another area they really need to work on. If they win a game this year I will be really surprised.

Jamestown on the other hand looked good, think they can win the DAC this season. They have some solid players and looked to be well coached. Look for good things from the pumpkin heads this season.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby jimmie44 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:07 am

[font=tahoma][glow=orange]GO PUMPKIN HEADS!![/glow]:up:[/font]
jimmie44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:37 am

I see Lundon isnt on the roster anymore. Did he quit or what?
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:17 pm

[user=32]NATURAL TALENT[/user] wrote:

Great question, wasn't he QB in high school? Cause they definitely could use one right now and in the future. Thought he played baseball or basketball maybe both. Mayville is pretty competitive in both maybe he will be playing for one of them?

From what i've seen so far they need to bring in some kids to play on that offensive line. I know the ones they have probably are young but I just don't know if they can get the job done their. Need to work on the quickness up front, very slow group.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:28 pm

ndfan wrote:[user=32]NATURAL TALENT[/user] wrote:

Great question, wasn't he QB in high school? Cause they definitely could use one right now and in the future. Thought he played baseball or basketball maybe both. Mayville is pretty competitive in both maybe he will be playing for one of them?

From what i've seen so far they need to bring in some kids to play on that offensive line. I know the ones they have probably are young but I just don't know if they can get the job done their. Need to work on the quickness up front, very slow group.

honestly, when they got rid of retew and soucy i thought that was going to solve all the woes.
rep

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:24 pm

I had this posted under the Dac 10 post.

Lundon makes the switch to Mayville State

Alex Lundon was goign to play basketball at Lake Region State College this fall, but about two weeks ago he made a big change.

Lundon decided to play football at Mayville State University.

"Mayville seemed more of the place for me," Lundon said. "I really liked Mayville's football coach, and he said I had a chance to play right away."

Mayville head coch Jody Fort was exstatic to hear Lundon signed with him.

"I think that kid's excellent," Ford said.  "He has a lot of tools, and he'll be a tremendous player for us in the next four years."

Last season, Lundon completed 147 passes on 270 attempts for 2,218-yards with 19 touchdowns at quarterback. He also ran 133-yards in 60 attempts with three touchdowns. Lundon also averaged 32-yards per punt.

I havent seen anything in the DL paper about him coming back to LRSC but ever since Bellmore left the sports page there hasnt been anything on any local sports which is absolutely terrible.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:48 pm

Belmore is gone? He leave, quit, Get fired? Use to live in DL when I was younger and he did a good job with sports for the herald. Mayville looks like they haven't updated their mens basketball roster so maybe he will be playing for them. But yeah only thing I've seen on him is that article right their. Anybody have anything on his where bouts?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:13 pm

Belmore just stepped off the sports page, he still writes a few articles about what goes on in the schools and what not but they got a young guy doing the sports now. Terrible is putting it lightly. Belmore always had write ups about surrounding towns and his little column that he wrote everyday. The new guy barely has anything on DL sports. I think he just goes on the net and copies stories from the AP, thats all I ever see anyway.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges