NDHSAA - new website, is it better?!

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

NDHSAA - new website, is it better?!

Postby ClassBEast » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:05 am

I am frustrated that the new NDHSAA website still does not contain any team photos/rosters/results for fall sports. Anyone know when this is going to happen? Will it be working by the time winter sports start? What is taking so long? :(
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: NDHSAA - new website, is it better?!

Postby Baller » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:30 am

I agree. It is frustrating that the stat features are also not working.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:12 pm

It might be better if they would finish it. Don't be afraid to send email - polite email - asking them to finish it. If they know people are looking for it they will tend to put effort into getting it done.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:41 pm

boy are you an optimist :lol:
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ClassBEast » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:51 pm

I sent them an e-mail (haven't heard back yet). If anyone else would like to join in, here's their e-mail address:

ndhsaa.com@sendit.nodak.edu
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BBAngel » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:00 pm

I had emailed them back in August about when the information would be posted and they told me that it would all be up and running by mid September. Here we are almost middle of October and no information is yet posted. When you have family members you want to follow this was a great resource, I wish they could get the statistics uploaded. Alot of college coaches go to the site to get information for recruiting as well. Truly a disservice to ND Sports :(
BBAngel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:05 pm

I'd guess that Sept. was a very optimistic guess. They are probably hoping to get things ready by basketball season. I'm sure they are getting lots of emails.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby tweener » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:39 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:I'd guess that Sept. was a very optimistic guess. They are probably hoping to get things ready by basketball season. I'm sure they are getting lots of emails.

Did they stipulate which September it'd be going by? 2008- or 2009 or who knows-- :?:
tweener
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mp44 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:24 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:I'd guess that Sept. was a very optimistic guess. They are probably hoping to get things ready by basketball season. I'm sure they are getting lots of emails.

I spoke with a lady at the NDHSAA today and right now they think that the schedules, team photos, stats, standings etc. will be available to the public by sometime next week.
Sounds like teams have already submitted schedules and a photo and have been submitting results, but the information just hasn't been moved to the public side of the Web site yet.

It's optional to submit stats and results though, so it will be interesting to see how many schools are actually posting their stuff this year.
mp44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vballer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:36 pm

What the high school league does not understand is that college coaches use these stats to look up information on their potential recruits. Our kids are getting shafted if this site does not get up before the end of the fall sport season. All area coaches use these stats in determining who they should vote for All conference, all state contenders. We need to demand that they get this site up and running with stats before the end of the season.
vballer
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:31 pm

If college coaches really want the stats of potential recruits all they have to do is call the coach. There is enough media coverage of every team around the state that the names will get out to the recruiters. IF they don't, then the recruiters aren't doing their job. A lot of coaches didn't even put stats on the old site so your argument is a wash. As far as coaches using the NDHSAA website to determine who gets all-region and all-state, every coach who nominates a player for those postseason awards (and yes, they have to be nominated) includes their stats with the nomination. Every coach who votes on the awards see all the stats on everyone nominated. Besides, almost all the coaches have already scouted or seen these players play so they basically know who deserves the awards without even seeing all the stats.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:25 pm

not necessarily, some coaches start looking for potentials by scanning a website like ndhsaa....no stats, one way to at least get a coach to start looking at you, gone. What if you have a coach who doesn't promote you........has other favorites, even if your stats are better, the coach promotes other players above you.....happens all the time........coach only nominates the same two girls for all district, etc.......getting stats out on the website is important.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:23 am

New or old doesn't matter if they don't update it! They do a terrible job. That office needs a COMPLETE turnover in personell, from top to bottom. They're out of touch with membership schools and the state taxpayer (fans/their bosses).
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby mjwanab » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:26 pm

I am frustrated with not being able to find stats, and mainly the lack of results and scores. I say it sad when maxpreps.com has more updated and usable information and who knows who runs that one?
mjwanab
NDPreps Starter

Postby PlayHard-KHCO » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:28 pm

mjwanab wrote:I am frustrated with not being able to find stats, and mainly the lack of results and scores. I say it sad when maxpreps.com has more updated and usable information and who knows who runs that one?

This may be the first post of yours I agree with. Is it the lack of info coming in- or the lack of admin putting it out? There are only 2 choices: outdated info- or no info at all.
"The road to Easy Street goes through the sewer."
John Madden
PlayHard-KHCO
NDPreps Starter

Postby SCCconferenceinsider » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:47 pm

For the common person who would like to look up more info on another team, the website not cool. It is nothing like last years, where info was easy to find. Stats were great, if teams reported them. It would be nice if every team reported them on there, but at the same time, I can see why some schools did not like that idea.
SCCconferenceinsider
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:40 am

I think a lot of schools got frustrated with the fact that nothing they turned in was up on the site, so they said they were done. I think that it will be good next year and even in basketball season now that they are getting the kinks worked out. It is disappointing though that the fall season was a waste for the website.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby PlayHard-KHCO » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:46 am

Baller wrote:I think a lot of schools got frustrated with the fact that nothing they turned in was up on the site, so they said they were done. I think that it will be good next year and even in basketball season now that they are getting the kinks worked out. It is disappointing though that the fall season was a waste for the website.

question- public site, public funded-right? If so- then who is being payed a job and not doing it? Either that person or the person in charge of them should be on here explaining why it isn't working- and I realize this isn't the only site discussing it- but it has to be the biggest prep sports related blog around. ANSWERS -MAN! WE WANT ANSWERS!!!!! :evil:
"The road to Easy Street goes through the sewer."
John Madden
PlayHard-KHCO
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:51 am

Uhm............wonder if they're tied in with the North Dakota High School Teachers Union.. You can't be surprised if the NDHSAA doesn't know how to run a website or manage state sports if they have any ties at all to the teachers union or public education...Look at our public schools state test scores over the last ten years..major downward spiral!! They say this is tax dollars that are well spent! :?:
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:18 am

scruffy wrote:Uhm............wonder if they're tied in with the North Dakota High School Teachers Union.. You can't be surprised if the NDHSAA doesn't know how to run a website or manage state sports if they have any ties at all to the teachers union or public education...Look at our public schools state test scores over the last ten years..major downward spiral!! They say this is tax dollars that are well spent! :?:

That's quite a leap from complaining about a web site to taking a potshot at North Dakota teachers!

Where is the data you are talking about that shows test scores in a downward spiral? I'd like to see that.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:51 am

Hinsa wrote:
scruffy wrote:Uhm............wonder if they're tied in with the North Dakota High School Teachers Union.. You can't be surprised if the NDHSAA doesn't know how to run a website or manage state sports if they have any ties at all to the teachers union or public education...Look at our public schools state test scores over the last ten years..major downward spiral!! They say this is tax dollars that are well spent! :?:

That's quite a leap from complaining about a web site to taking a potshot at North Dakota teachers!

Where is the data you are talking about that shows test scores in a downward spiral? I'd like to see that.

Not all individual teachers. I'm talking about their union and the state system. ... Although reluctant, the state department of education will give out the compiled test scores to you if asked. Some districts are holding their own but many are failing and bringing down the whole states test scores.....
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:25 am

scruffy wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

Not all individual teachers. I'm talking about their union and the state system. ... Although reluctant, the state department of education will give out the compiled test scores to you if asked. Some districts are holding their own but many are failing and bringing down the whole states test scores.....

Atually overall test scores are very good. The state's ACT average is well above the national average. The schools struggle with Minorities such as special education and English Language Learners which is a struggle in all states since it is required they take the same test as the rest of the student population and some can't read or speak English. Some states only teach to the test and I am proud that our state has not stooped to that and teaches its students more than what is going to be on the standardized test. If you actually do the research, you will see that the mandated testing involved with NCLB is flawed in its evaluation of schools and students and things are being worked on to fix the issue.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:29 am

Like most projects, I'd guess it needs to be driven by money or passion to be successful. There probably isn't much of a financial benefit to getting the kinks worked out and there isn't the intrinsic value associated with it yet by anybody. I'd say just give it some time.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:41 am

Baller wrote:
scruffy wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

Atually overall test scores are very good. The state's ACT average is well above the national average. The schools struggle with Minorities such as special education and English Language Learners which is a struggle in all states since it is required they take the same test as the rest of the student population and some can't read or speak English. Some states only teach to the test and I am proud that our state has not stooped to that and teaches its students more than what is going to be on the standardized test. If you actually do the research, you will see that the mandated testing involved with NCLB is flawed in its evaluation of schools and students and things are being worked on to fix the issue.

uhm........so slipping slower then the rest of the country is good enough! What does that tell us about the future of this country.. :?
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:08 pm

What do you mean by slipping slower than the rest of the country? Overall, They are not slipping at all. You also need to look at the standardized tests. (you have obviously had no research in this area). These tests have gotten considerable harder as the years have gone on. In Math, 8th graders used to be tested on balancing check books and knowing multiplication tables. Now Minnesota is looking at requiring all 8th graders to take Algebra because of all of the Algebraic concepts on the tests. Research shows that some brains are not capable of Algebraic and other abstract concepts until 16 years of age. In English, it has gone from basic reading comprehension and grammer to making infereces and breaking down passages and its parts. Just because tests scores may have slipped doesn't mean that our system, or learning has slipped. Expectations and programs for students has increased a great deal in the last 20 years.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Hot Topics