East vs. West

Postby go bison » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:22 pm

I would have to say that the west is a tougher conference.  Help me with some stats from the east but Liffrig and Lundy both have over 20 hr (I cant think of anyone from the east with those ##) and it seems that the pitching is better in the west.  Speis from GF got destroyed by Williston and he is one of GF's better pitchers.  The west dosn't have terrible teams like VC and Whapeton.  The bottom 3 teams in the west were all just as good as Jamestown, state representative from the east.  After Fargo the east is very average.
go bison
NDPreps Reserve

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:30 pm

Grand Forks with out Landry pitching definately makes a differnece because he almost single handly pitched Central to the state title this spring. Is there anyone else from Grand Forks that did not play this summer that should have? They have had lots of guys in the past not play in the summer because they have hockey pucks dancing in their heads.

The west was definately the deepest this summer and the credit should go to the development of their programs from the bottom up. Great feeder programs creates success at the higher level.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby b-baller » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:43 pm

Last year Marto opted out at GF because of hockey.  This year Landry was committed to football for the  Shrine game and Montana-Dakota Bowl.  Landry could   potentially join Central team-mate Kreis on the GF legion team next year, along with Potter coming back after a year at college ball.  If they return all three, they could compete with the west, Landry would be the key.
b-baller

Postby Willy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:08 pm

West proved at state they are stronger.    I think the pitching in the east is just as good, but the east doesn't even come close in power hitting.  I'm guessing Leer, Liefrig, Lundy and Elgie EACH have more home runs than any one TEAM in the east.  But that fact alone might prove the pitching is a little better in the east.

I would put Minot and Williston into an elite group as the best, and lump Fargo, Bismarck and GF as being in second tier, then the rest. (except Valley City, they get their own group)
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby go bison » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:45 pm

does anyone know who led the east in some power numbers(HR, RBI, etc)?
go bison
NDPreps Reserve

Postby SiouxUND » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:47 pm

Well its funny how Jamestown has had the closest game with Minot in the tourney.  Looks like Fargo and Williston both got destroyed by Minot.  I didn't see anyone from Minot hitting any home runs against Jamestown.
SiouxUND
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:27 pm

Willy wrote:West proved at state they are stronger.    I think the pitching in the east is just as good, but the east doesn't even come close in power hitting.  I'm guessing Leer, Liefrig, Lundy and Elgie EACH have more home runs than any one TEAM in the east.  But that fact alone might prove the pitching is a little better in the east.

I would put Minot and Williston into an elite group as the best, and lump Fargo, Bismarck and GF as being in second tier, then the rest. (except Valley City, they get their own group)

Just Lundy and Liffrig probably have more HR's than any team in the state.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndplayer » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:05 am

SiouxUND wrote:Well its funny how Jamestown has had the closest game with Minot in the tourney.  Looks like Fargo and Williston both got destroyed by Minot.  I didn't see anyone from Minot hitting any home runs against Jamestown.

Are you implying that jamestown is better than fargo and williston?  First off, fargo face probly the best pitcher in the state (lundy), so of course they didn't hit any home runs.  And Liffrig got intentionally walked 2 or 3 times when williston played minot.  Not to mention, jamestown got ousted by mandan after only 2 games, last i checked, the other teams are still in the hunt.
ndplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby Willy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:41 pm

Jamestown's record was helped by facing a lot of 4th and 5th pitchers on better teams.  When the Minot, Fargo, and Grand Forks type teams put their top pitchers out there, Jamestown is beat.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SiouxUND » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:49 pm

As i recall after the starter for Jamestown left the game after throwing over 120 pitches, Jamestown led 7-4.  He gave Jamestown every chance to win, but the relief pitcher that went it got nervous and beaned 3 hitters in two innings.  Well let's put it this way, Jamestown went down to Fargo, they got swept but Jamestown's ace threw a 2 hitter unfortunately they had 3 errors and he gave up no earned runs.  They when Fargo came to Jamestown, they split with Fargo and had 6 home runs in the double header.  Wow, Williston is just phenomenal.  Too bad Leer and Liffrig can't hit offspeed.  Leer must have gone down looking at least 4 times when Jamestown faced him.  I'm not saying they are better, I am just saying that anybody is beatable.
SiouxUND
NDPreps Starter

Postby SiouxUND » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:49 pm

Beating Gf 3 of 4 ain't bad either.
Last edited by SiouxUND on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SiouxUND
NDPreps Starter

Postby SiouxUND » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:54 pm

After last year's 11-37 record and Jamestown getting back to .500.  I'd say you have to look at them as a good team.  Also we faced Grand Forks and beat Spies, beat Hanson, faced Ebert, rocked Bergeron, faced Herian and scored 2 off him in 1 inning.  So how can you say we faced there 4 and 5 pitchers.  Pretty sure we faced Martinson in Minot and almost beat him.  Hit Elgie hard.  How can you even go there when you weren't at our games.  So you can talk all this big game but you know nothing.
Last edited by SiouxUND on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SiouxUND
NDPreps Starter

Postby b-baller » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:25 am

Jamestown beat Spies because of two homer calls in the seventh.  A missed strike three call on a full count, and and a missed call on a tag out at first that both would have ended the game with no Jamestown runs in the 7th.  You said Jamestown faced Ebert, how did Jamestown do?  How did Jamestown do against Kreis from GF?  Jamestown's other two wins against GF were against their 5th and 6th starters.  You do deserve congrats for beating Hanson.  Who's Bergeron and Herian?  What position in the rotation are they on their teams?
Last edited by b-baller on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
b-baller

Postby Willy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:32 am

3 out of 5 after getting 10 runned at Region.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby go bison » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:35 am

SiouxUND wrote:As i recall after the starter for Jamestown left the game after throwing over 120 pitches, Jamestown led 7-4.  He gave Jamestown every chance to win, but the relief pitcher that went it got nervous and beaned 3 hitters in two innings.  Well let's put it this way, Jamestown went down to Fargo, they got swept but Jamestown's ace threw a 2 hitter unfortunately they had 3 errors and he gave up no earned runs.  They when Fargo came to Jamestown, they split with Fargo and had 6 home runs in the double header.  Wow, Williston is just phenomenal.  Too bad Leer and Liffrig can't hit offspeed.  Leer must have gone down looking at least 4 times when Jamestown faced him.  I'm not saying they are better, I am just saying that anybody is beatable.

Leer and Liffrig can hit off-speed.  You don't hit 28 hr and 101 rbi by just hitting cock-shot fastballs!!
go bison
NDPreps Reserve

Postby SiouxUND » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:14 pm

Did i say they hit cock shot fastballs.  When ever i saw them hit they were jumping all over first pitch fastballs and when most of the kids face them they try to locate too much and then they can sit on a fastball up in the count so keep talking.
SiouxUND
NDPreps Starter

Postby SiouxUND » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:19 pm

That a way blame the umps.  You know big GF you guys should have put Jamestown away those two calls did not cost the game you not hitting the ball and making a big error caused you guys the game.  Well Herian was 8-1 i dont know where he was.  Bergeron was not a starter more of a reliver but he's pretty effective.
Last edited by SiouxUND on Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SiouxUND
NDPreps Starter

Postby SiouxUND » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:21 pm

Yeah and i'm pretty sure that against Gf in the region they pitched there 5th best pitcher to save other guys

SiouxUND
NDPreps Starter

Postby b-baller » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:12 pm

Saving them for what?  That was the only game they needed to win to get to state.
b-baller

Postby SiouxUND » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:29 pm

Yeah and unlike GF that only needed to win one game and only had to play 2 in edc, Jamestown had to play four games.  So we didn't waste someone.  So the next game they played WF and used one of there good pitchers and won that.  Then had to play another game.  Not only that but Jamestown's one and two pitchers had already faced GF twice.  So throwing them again would be kind of stupid.  Also why has GF always choked in legion baseball at the state tourney.  They haven't won a title since 1972.
Last edited by SiouxUND on Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SiouxUND
NDPreps Starter

Postby NYYANKS » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:23 pm

go bison wrote:does anyone know who led the east in some power numbers(HR, RBI, etc)?

Grant Schmidt of WF led the EDC in HR with 12 or 13
NYYANKS
NDPreps Starter

Postby b-baller » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:35 am

GF last won state legion in 1999, not 1972 as you stated.  But you are correct they have choked alot.  One final statement on Jamestown's season, you were much improved from previous year, your third place finish in the east is exactly where you deserved to be.  I hope you can challenge for 1st or 2nd next year.
b-baller

Postby go bison » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:13 pm

Jamestown loses alot in high school, but can all their guys come back for legion ball next summer? 
go bison
NDPreps Reserve

Postby SiouxUND » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:11 pm

Yeah they lose a lot of players.  They only have about 3 guys that can come back from college next year.  I think they might stuggle with there young guys.  But they do have two very good coaches that will be in there second year.  Both coaches played for the Jimmies and had very successful collegiate careers.
Last edited by SiouxUND on Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SiouxUND
NDPreps Starter

Postby FargoHottie15 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:09 pm

anyone has a chance next year in the east....pretty much every team but maybe GF gets alot weaker and you know what you're gonna get with VC and Wahp
FargoHottie15
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Class A