Smoking?

All other topics other than sports related.

Should it be illegal for parents to smoke in their home when they have children living there?

Yes
65%
No
35%

Total votes : 17

Smoking?

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:38 pm

Why did you vote the way you did?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Re: Smoking?

Postby baseball18 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:30 am

If people want to smoke, let them smoke. If ppl can't smoke in their homes, where the heck else will they be allowed to smoke? This is ridiculous... smoking bans infringe on ppl's rights and I thought AMerica was all about freedom of choice.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:55 am

baseball18 wrote:If people want to smoke, let them smoke. If ppl can't smoke in their homes, where the heck else will they be allowed to smoke? This is ridiculous... smoking bans infringe on ppl's rights and I thought AMerica was all about freedom of choice.

What about the right to breathe clean air?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:06 pm

baseball18 wrote:If people want to smoke, let them smoke. If ppl can't smoke in their homes, where the heck else will they be allowed to smoke? This is ridiculous... smoking bans infringe on ppl's rights and I thought AMerica was all about freedom of choice.

So are you saying that I should be forced to breathe in smoke because my parents choose to do so? Doesn't that infringe upon my right to try to stay healthy?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby HeisAlive » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:10 pm

balla45 wrote:

So are you saying that I should be forced to breathe in smoke because my parents choose to do so? Doesn't that infringe upon my right to try to stay healthy?

You go Balla45, you go boy...
Phil 4:13,19
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:11 pm

HeisAlive wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Haha, some things bother me, but that is probably the number 1 thing.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby HeisAlive » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:41 pm

balla45 wrote:
HeisAlive wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Haha, some things bother me, but that is probably the number 1 thing.

As an ex-smoker, I knowwhat ya mean...
Phil 4:13,19
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball18 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:56 pm

balla45 wrote:

This is where personal responsibility comes into place. I do not believe in lawmakers banning smoking for those in their own homes, even with children. If I was a smoker and had children, yes I would not harm my children in any way, I could easily step outside for a smoke. That's your responsibility as a parent, to protect your children, but there should be no law banning this... it would be wrong. If parents smoke in their homes or car with their children around, then I consider that irresponsible parenting... but no law banning it. See where I am coming from?

Iam pretty sure that I saw some where that cell phones cause more death than smoking or second hand smoking, what will they do next? Ban cell phones? I'm putting my children in just as much of danger driving and talking on my cell phone with my kids in the car.

I think once people don't have to pay for their own homes and the federal gov't does that, then they can tell me I can't smoke in my home.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:04 pm

baseball18 wrote:
balla45 wrote:

This is where personal responsibility comes into place. I do not believe in lawmakers banning smoking for those in their own homes, even with children. If I was a smoker and had children, yes I would not harm my children in any way, I could easily step outside for a smoke. That's your responsibility as a parent, to protect your children, but there should be no law banning this... it would be wrong. If parents smoke in their homes or car with their children around, then I consider that irresponsible parenting... but no law banning it. See where I am coming from?

Iam pretty sure that I saw some where that cell phones cause more death than smoking or second hand smoking, what will they do next? Ban cell phones? I'm putting my children in just as much of danger driving and talking on my cell phone with my kids in the car.

I think once people don't have to pay for their own homes and the federal gov't does that, then they can tell me I can't smoke in my home.

To an extent. But, it isn't just irresponsible parenting, it is neglect/abuse. It is proven that second hand smoke can kill. At the very least, it will harm the lungs in some way.

I wouldn't say it is irresponsible to drive while talking on the phone. The chance of it harming the child isn't 100%, but it is 100% when you smoke around them for 18 years.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball18 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:21 pm

balla45 wrote:
baseball18 wrote:
balla45 wrote:

To an extent. But, it isn't just irresponsible parenting, it is neglect/abuse. It is proven that second hand smoke can kill. At the very least, it will harm the lungs in some way.

I wouldn't say it is irresponsible to drive while talking on the phone. The chance of it harming the child isn't 100%, but it is 100% when you smoke around them for 18 years.

what about parents taking their kids to fast food restaurants? It's been proven that clogged arteries can kill too. Is that not child abuse? I dont see how it is any different. How about driving too fast or recklously? Depending on who's eyes your looking through, it could ALL be considered child endangerment. One of the above instances could kill a child just as dead as another and someone smoking with kids.

I also think it's terrible I have to breath in car exhaust, when I'm behind someone at a red light, because they don't maintain their car.

I think its terrible that everything we eat and drink is filled with chemicals and pesticides. Not to mention the water supply in some places is filled with prescription drugs.

The thing is, there are so many things that we could call child abuse... why just single out one... when we could cover them all? Anything can be called child abuse now days.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:33 pm

baseball18 wrote:what about parents taking their kids to fast food restaurants? It's been proven that clogged arteries can kill too. Is that not child abuse? I dont see how it is any different. How about driving too fast or recklously? Depending on who's eyes your looking through, it could ALL be considered child endangerment. One of the above instances could kill a child just as dead as another and someone smoking with kids.

I also think it's terrible I have to breath in car exhaust, when I'm behind someone at a red light, because they don't maintain their car.

I think its terrible that everything we eat and drink is filled with chemicals and pesticides. Not to mention the water supply in some places is filled with prescription drugs.

The thing is, there are so many things that we could call child abuse... why just single out one... when we could cover them all? Anything can be called child abuse now days.

And it is child abuse when kids get huge because parents do that. I would say that at the age of 13, it becomes the responsibilty of the child to stay in shape. Driving too fast is illegal. Driving recklessly is illegal. If you do these things with a child in a car (not 10 over but 30 or 40) you probably will be charged with child endangerment.

Why single one out? This is the one that I actually care about.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saucesauer » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:55 pm

balla45 wrote:

Do you pay rent is it YOUR house o ris it your parents house, your trying to tell me you dont do anything that could kill you...spare me That infringes on the Bill of Rights
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:53 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Do you pay rent is it YOUR house o ris it your parents house, your trying to tell me you dont do anything that could kill you...spare me That infringes on the Bill of Rights

What do I do that could kill me? Enlighten me, since you seem to know soooo much. Oh, legally, I am required to live in that house, so I wouldn't have to pay rent now, would I? But, what do I do that could kill me? Do tell. Oh, what have I done that infringes on the Bill of Rights?

Drew, do you know anything about law? If you don't, which I think is the case here, don't waste your words typing about something that you have severely insufficient knowledge of, for example, what you were doing just yesterday, when talking about BHS football players.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:11 pm

Thats cute my last post was deleted, considering it was a hypothetical question i was proving a point, thanks moderators!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:17 pm

Saucesauer wrote:Thats cute my last post was deleted, considering it was a hypothetical question i was proving a point, thanks moderators!

What was your question? I don't have a computer at the moment, so I can't look at this all the time.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball18 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:34 pm

THe more important question should be, is it a win for health or a loss for rights? is it worth it for the government to take away our own choices and freedom? IF we allow the gov't to not let us choose to smoke, then what next? Soon they will take away our gun rights, our right to private property, and so on...

I want to make this clear, I do not smoke. I am totally against it personally, but I do not believe in depriving other people's rights... that;s their choice... I myself am willing to be exposed to small health risks in order for people to have a choice. It's called personal responsibility.

We have our own property rights and in no way should the gov't take away our fundamental rights... our right to private property is in the 5th amendment of our constitution, which is part of the Bill of Rights :D

It's kinda like the gov't banning smoking in restaurants, I believe it is wrong... it's all about choice and property rights.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:18 pm

All right, I read your question now. If someone wants to drink, they should have the right to, because they are harming themselves, and that is their choice. However, a person doesn't get to pick whether or not their parents smoke, and thus, they don't have the choice.

I argued this with stuff like drugs before too. I think that a person has the right to harm him or herself (alcoholic), but I don't think that a person has the right to harm others (smoker.)

I honestly think it is a win for health and a loss of rights. I also think restaurants should be able to allow smoking. People have the CHOICE to go to a restaurant. However, a person doesn't have the CHOICE to pick whether or not their parents smoke. If I want to go to a restaurant where smoking is allowed, I am taking that risk, and it is my decision, and I should have to lve with the consequences. But, I shouldn't have to be exposed to smoke in my home.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball18 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:47 pm

balla45 wrote:All right, I read your question now. If someone wants to drink, they should have the right to, because they are harming themselves, and that is their choice. However, a person doesn't get to pick whether or not their parents smoke, and thus, they don't have the choice.

I argued this with stuff like drugs before too. I think that a person has the right to harm him or herself (alcoholic), but I don't think that a person has the right to harm others (smoker.)

I honestly think it is a win for health and a loss of rights. I also think restaurants should be able to allow smoking. People have the CHOICE to go to a restaurant. However, a person doesn't have the CHOICE to pick whether or not their parents smoke. If I want to go to a restaurant where smoking is allowed, I am taking that risk, and it is my decision, and I should have to lve with the consequences. But, I shouldn't have to be exposed to smoke in my home.

i love debates like this, it's all good to see a different viewpoint, that's what's great about America; and i agree with your restaurant points
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby yakama » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:44 am

NO----if you want to make your children suffer go ahead its all your fault
yakama
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:40 am

yakama wrote:NO----if you want to make your children suffer go ahead its all your fault

It's your RIGHT, not fault
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:47 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
yakama wrote:NO----if you want to make your children suffer go ahead its all your fault

Do the children have a right to breathe clean air?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:54 pm

Saucesauer wrote:

It is a "RIGHT" of a parent to make his/her child/children suffer? Really? I was actually under the impression that there were child abuse/neglect laws that state quite the opposite.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:13 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:

Do the children have a right to breathe clean air?

Actually if you look at it no, kids are not actually allowed to make their own decisions until they are 18 or in some cases 21....apparently the brain doesn't fully devolope until the exact day you turn 21 so although its a nice thought kids obviously don't know whats good for themselves. and it has nothing to do with neglect some of the best parents I know either have a mom or dad smoke.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:20 pm

Were you being facetious? The "exact day" a person turns 21? Really?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:49 pm

balla45 wrote:Were you being facetious? The "exact day" a person turns 21? Really?

Very much so, I am just going with what the gov. thinks.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to gaming, movies, tv, local stories