MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby shs01240 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:11 pm

When and where will Elgie go today?
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: MLB Draft-Elgie Watch

Postby brownbomber » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:58 pm

shs01240 wrote:When and where will Elgie go today?

also does anyone know if jeremy burgard will get drafted?
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby magichoops » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:24 pm

The draft is split into 2 days. I am not sure how many rounds they get through on the first day. I think Elgie will go somewhere between the 5th and 12th round. A big spread I know, but the draft is kind of weird thing after the first 3 rounds. Kyle Carr was drafted by the Twins 2005 in the 31st round.
magichoops

Postby baseball » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:29 pm

cant carr get drafted again? sorry if thats a dumb question haha, but for some reason im thinking that MLB can draft a guy after high school, then again after 2 years at a JUCO or 3 years if they go D-1? or was it just that they had to wait that long to sign?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:38 pm

Carr will get drafted this year again. If he doesn't like what the team is offering him he can return for his senior year at Minnesota and then be drafted again next summer. He can actually be drafted 3 times. I really don't see Elgie going that high. 20+ rounds. I'd say more like rounds 25-35.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby SiouxYAYA » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:54 pm

25-30?
Elgie is projected to go in the top 5 rounds. I don't see him falling past the top 10. He will get offfered a 6 figure signing bonus so I am really interested in whether or not he opts to go play minor league ball or if he goes and plays at KU. I also heard a rule that if a player does get drafted in the top 5 rounds he cannot play legion ball, does anyone know if that is true.
SiouxYAYA
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:33 am

nothing so far through 6 rounds....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby i_see_it_all » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:00 am

jake laber?? :lol:

jeremy burgard?? :lol:

are you guys on drugs? these guys play north dakota baseball fellas. laber gets lit up by D1 independent schools and burgard plays NAIA against kids who couldnt cut it on their HS teams. Good ND players, but not draft prospects.
for those of you who dont know,( and judging by these posts you dont) north dakota baseball gets laughed at by the rest of the US. elgie top 5 rounds? 6 figure signing bonus? forget it. after his baseball america article i'm sure his stock went up but i dont think he'll go top 10.

carr will go again, lundy will go high hopefully.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby riders » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:19 am

burgard could have gone to any school in ND to playt but chose the Jimmies. he may not be playing D-1 but he dominated the NAIA and took the jimmies to the NAIA world series. i guess that performance isnt even scoutable? you cant tell me that there werent any scouts at the world series!!

7th round is about $100K plus a $100k signing bonus so its possible that elgie could get that--around the 200th overall pick. after his performance the last 3 years i dont see how he couldnt go higher than 10th round

the whole "they laugh at ND baseball" stuff" is garbage. if he has the talent to go D-1, he could prolly get drafted. and if he can go to the world series he can also prolly get drafted

if lundy and carr can get drafted high, im not seeing your logic to rag on elgie's talent and say you dont even see him in the top 10 rounds or even burgard for that matter
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dead ball era » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:02 am

i_see_it_all wrote:jake laber?? :lol:

jeremy burgard?? :lol:

are you guys on drugs? these guys play north dakota baseball fellas. laber gets lit up by D1 independent schools and burgard plays NAIA against kids who couldnt cut it on their HS teams. Good ND players, but not draft prospects.
for those of you who dont know,( and judging by these posts you dont) north dakota baseball gets laughed at by the rest of the US. elgie top 5 rounds? 6 figure signing bonus? forget it. after his baseball america article i'm sure his stock went up but i dont think he'll go top 10.

carr will go again, lundy will go high hopefully.

I would think with the recent success of Erstad, Hafner, Tim Olson, Helling, etc. there is a bit more attention for ND baseball than there had been before. But it is still a long shot. With a more prominent influx of Latin American players, ND's attention becomes less as well.

As far as laughing. I doubt any scout worth their salt would right off a prospect simply because they are a ND kid. There's 50 rounds in every draft. That's a lot of players chosen.

By the way, where did you play ball? It seems like you are making some strong statements about the quality of play at a lot of levels (NAIA, Div. I independents). Would like to know more about what makes you an expert.
Is this heaven? It's Iowa. - Field of Dreams
dead ball era
NDPreps Reserve

Postby brownbomber » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:11 am

i was heard that burgard might be getting drafted,i dont know why he couldnt
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby magichoops » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:26 am

Elgie just got drafted by Oakland Round (12) 364 overall.
magichoops

Postby magichoops » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:35 am

Kyle Carr
Twins round (12) 366 overall
magichoops

Postby baller01 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:43 am

I did not know Elgie was projected to go that high. Congrats to both him and Carr.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball18 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:03 pm

Congrats to Zac and Kyle!
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby shs01240 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:23 pm

so is a 12th round signing bonus gonna be high enough for either of them to sign?

I have no idea how MLB contracts work, but I could definitely see Carr signing. I wouldn't be surprised to see Elgie spend a year or two at KU though.

Congrats to both!
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i_see_it_all » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:09 pm

carr might sign because hes only got a year left to get his stock up.

elgie, best of luck at KU. 12th round out of HS is excellent, bright future.

feldman was twice the player burgard was, heck i could name 10 players in ND that are twice the player burgard is and their not getting drafted. laber is a lefty with some decent stuff, so it wouldn't be a huge surprise if he went in the 48th round. just dont think he will though.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller01 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:24 pm

i_see_it_all wrote:carr might sign because hes only got a year left to get his stock up.

feldman was twice the player burgard was, heck i could name 10 players in ND that are twice the player burgard is and their not getting drafted. laber is a lefty with some decent stuff, so it wouldn't be a huge surprise if he went in the 48th round. just dont think he will though.

The thing with Elgie is, if he doesn't sign and goes to KU, he has to wait til after his junior to be drafted again. I texted Carr a little bit ago and he said last year a guy from the U of M was drafted around there and received 75,000 and a year of school. I'm not sure if he will take it or not. That doesn't mean that is what he will foresure get, that is just a rough estimate.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby magichoops » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:45 pm

The 12th round is the highest a North Dakota High School kid has ever been drafted. My guess would be though he will go the Erstad route and go to school unless the money and bonus are out of this world, but I doubt that. You never know though.
magichoops

Postby Willy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:47 pm

How about this summer? Won't Oakland want him playing at a higher level than ND Legion?
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i_see_it_all » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:48 pm

baller01 wrote:
i_see_it_all wrote:carr might sign because hes only got a year left to get his stock up.

The thing with Elgie is, if he doesn't sign and goes to KU, he has to wait til after his junior to be drafted again. I texted Carr a little bit ago and he said last year a guy from the U of M was drafted around there and received 75,000 and a year of school. I'm not sure if he will take it or not. That doesn't mean that is what he will foresure get, that is just a rough estimate.

he only has to wait until the end of his sophomore year peter gammons. juco 1 year wait, 4 year school 2 year wait. 75,000? not even close dude, get a clue. hes going to KU
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby dead ball era » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:29 pm

i_see_it_all wrote:
baller01 wrote:

he only has to wait until the end of his sophomore year peter gammons. juco 1 year wait, 4 year school 2 year wait. 75,000? not even close dude, get a clue. hes going to KU

Congrats to the ND boys! Why so nasty all-seeing?
Is this heaven? It's Iowa. - Field of Dreams
dead ball era
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:23 pm

i_see_it_all wrote:he only has to wait until the end of his sophomore year peter gammons. juco 1 year wait, 4 year school 2 year wait. 75,000? not even close dude, get a clue. hes going to KU

You have to wait until after your junior season.

Taken from a Bismarck Tribune column.
"In 2005, Carr decided to attend the University of Minnesota and play college baseball rather than join the Twins organization. Going the NCAA route meant he couldn't re-enter the draft until 2008."
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Willy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:36 pm

In order to be drafted a player must fit the following criteria:

He is a resident of the United States, Canada, or a U.S. territory such as Puerto Rico. Players from other countries are not subject to the draft, and can be signed by any team.
He has never before been signed a major or minor league contract.
High school players are eligible only after graduation, and if they have not attended college.
Players at four-year colleges are eligible after completing their junior years, or after their twenty-first birthdays. The exception to this is Division III schools, where players can be drafted before their junior year.
Junior and community college players are eligible to be drafted at any time.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby riders » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:25 pm

ok "all seeing" you wanna talk about "ND baseball is a joke"? Erstad, Carr, Elgie, Messer, both Burgards, Liffrig, Lundy and a lot of others all were and are great players. Messer would have been drafted highly(at least as high as Carr) because its not very often that you get a 6'5" lefty that throws mid 90's and has dirty offspeed. jer will most likely be drafted but hasnt got the call yet and elgie and carr are self explanatory. how could he not be drafted, he took his team to the WORLD SERIES! he was the standout on that team and i dont see how you can discount his talent like that. liffrig was a power freak and hits as hard as anybody ive seen. lundy is great as well.

id like to see that list as well of the "10 players in ND that are 2x the player Burgard is and not getting drafted"

once youre as good as any of these guys are, or you play competitive college ball or get drafted, then you can be the talent expert
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Class A