Jamestown College womens wrestling program

Jamestown College womens wrestling program

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:17 am

Let the debate begin.......

More power to the program.......two of our three daughters wrestled right up through sixth grade.....only quit b/c too much crap from the boys they beat and the other coaches........and now a collegiate program in the backyard of some of the most conservative coaches/viewpoints in the country. should be interesting.....
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Jamestown College womens wrestling program

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:14 pm

It seems all the Canadian colleges have womens programs. I'm sure they will be wrestling in tournaments up their extensively.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wombat » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:58 pm

I think it's awesome! there are 3-4 states who already hold girls wrestling state tournaments and have girls teams.

Wrestling got kicked in the gut because of title IX. Many programs were cut because if there was an unequal opportunity it was easier to get rid of a boys sport than to add a girls sport. Now high schools and colleges accross the country have the opportunity to bring boys AND girls programs to their schools at the same time. Jamestown for instance is going to have 1 head coach who coaches both the men and the women's team. So you might have to pay a head coach a little more for doing double duties, but you don't have to hire twice as many people to run the programs. (maybe an extra assistant coach)

Girls wrestling has also become an olympic sport and I think this gives our nation a chance to compete. In a country where equal rights to our women is so stressed (and rightfully so) it would be an absolute shame if we could not keep up with a new developing sport/opportunity for our women.

Plus although I love the idea of women's wrestling, I don't agree with the idea of co-ed wrestling. If women's teams are started it would eliminate the need to have mixed-sex wrestling matches.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:29 pm

i'll be curious to see how the program develops at jc. apparently one of the girls they signed was a two-time state champ from texas who is supposed to be pretty legit. i'm thinking she is going to be the face of the program from the time she steps on campus and i'll be curious to see if she is an olympic-type athlete at some point.

i wasn't really all too excited about it when i just heard rumors about it, but once they made the official announcement and cole talked about it in detail, i started to get more interested. i think it has a lot of potential and i would hope other dac schools would buy into trying out the program (anything to keep the dac going at this point is a good thing).

it seems like kind of a logical step really for schools that have men's wrestling. you already have the mats, i would think about the only cost would be getting unis and the travel, but if you are bringing in 5 or 10 kids every year, i would think that would help offset some of that cost right there.

kind of the same thing with softball...as long as there is interest, i think it is a good thing. if the program struggles, might want to take a look at doing something different with the dollars, but at the very least it should be given a real chance to succeed.
rep

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:39 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:Let the debate begin.......

More power to the program.......two of our three daughters wrestled right up through sixth grade.....only quit b/c too much crap from the boys they beat and the other coaches........and now a collegiate program in the backyard of some of the most conservative coaches/viewpoints in the country. should be interesting.....

My son also has wrestled girls. Wasn't a problem last year, but I think it will soon become an awkward situation for him if he continues to wrestle girls into 7th grade due to the normal "thoughts" of adolescents. I think female wrestling is great, as long as it is not a co-ed deal. Many cases of guys playing "dirty" against other guys(eye gouging, low blows etc..)
bigpoppakdog

Postby Wombat » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:12 am

They seem to be holding their own so far early in the season:

http://www.jc.edu/athletics/wwrestling.php

They won their first Dual against University of Saskatchewan and did quite well at the Calgary Tournament.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:30 pm

Hawaii must have a lot of women wrestlers, the Jimmies have 5 freshman from there. Not one Canadian, I'm a little shocked.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Return to Wrestling