Devils Lake go home!

Class A Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Devils Lake go home!

Postby ballernd » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:54 pm

Just shows that Devils Lake doesn’t belong in the middle division and belongs in the AAA division. They have the attitude of a big school team! Coach is arrogant and it shows how is girls act. They play the big school basketball were they don’t care how much they foul. First round of state they are up by 20 with 2 minutes and still press!! We get it your better than everyone else!

I liked the 3 class system until watching state and Devils Lake.
ballernd
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Devils Lake go home!

Postby HONKER » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:29 am

But it was ok when the big B schools were doing it to the small class B schools hmm
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:14 am

The problem we have is that most of the successful teams press the whole game win or lose. That is the only way they know how to play. They depend on their athletes to be better than yours. I don't like watching it because the game has no flow and just girls shooting layups. If I was coaching now I would work on press breakers the whole practice and not even worry about a half court offense.
Dont get me wrong... you win and win big if your kids are athletes and can make a layup. Just not fun to watch for me.

We have 3 classes for a reason. Devils Lake is the big dog in a medium size pool. Don't complain... beat them.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby siouxper11 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:52 am

ballernd wrote:Just shows that Devils Lake doesn’t belong in the middle division and belongs in the AAA division. They have the attitude of a big school team! Coach is arrogant and it shows how is girls act. They play the big school basketball were they don’t care how much they foul. First round of state they are up by 20 with 2 minutes and still press!! We get it your better than everyone else!

Where was your outrage when Central Cass beat Bowman County 61-28 in the State Quarterfinals last year??

Please stop the nonsense....
siouxper11
NDPreps Reserve

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:10 pm

I think the girls A was an excellent tournament with some excellent games. The difference was depth, DL just had too much depth and could keep putting the pressure on the other teams. There had to be some sort of record set with the amount of turnovers they created, it was quite impressive to say the least. The unselfishness of players on the entire DL roster was a story that needs to be told, they all seemed to buy in to the system.

People forget quickly that Thompson was the huge favorite going into this tournament. There were some great story lines - South Prairie - Max going on their run, Thompson with the great shooters and being undefeated all year, etc.

Overall, I was really impressed with the talent of the underclassmen kids that we will get to see for the next several years.

Next year could easily be a rematch between DL & South Prairie-Max.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:30 pm

UNDSiouxfan wrote:I think the girls A was an excellent tournament with some excellent games. The difference was depth, DL just had too much depth and could keep putting the pressure on the other teams. There had to be some sort of record set with the amount of turnovers they created, it was quite impressive to say the least. The unselfishness of players on the entire DL roster was a story that needs to be told, they all seemed to buy in to the system.

People forget quickly that Thompson was the huge favorite going into this tournament. There were some great story lines - South Prairie - Max going on their run, Thompson with the great shooters and being undefeated all year, etc.

Overall, I was really impressed with the talent of the underclassmen kids that we will get to see for the next several years.

Excellent Tournament and Thompson didnt get complacent, South Prairie was just that good, it was to bad their freshman got hurt in the title game.....
Thompson didnt need a 3 at the end but so often than not I see that scenario a lot now days...
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:33 pm

winner-within wrote:
UNDSiouxfan wrote:I think the girls A was an excellent tournament with some excellent games. The difference was depth, DL just had too much depth and could keep putting the pressure on the other teams. There had to be some sort of record set with the amount of turnovers they created, it was quite impressive to say the least. The unselfishness of players on the entire DL roster was a story that needs to be told, they all seemed to buy in to the system.

Excellent Tournament and Thompson didnt get complacent, South Prairie was just that good, it was to bad their freshman got hurt in the title game.....
Thompson didnt need a 3 at the end but so often than not I see that scenario a lot now days...

Great look still for Thompson at the end of the game from their best outside threat.

I see the outside shot taken more nowadays too but nothing says you drive to the basket and get hammered that you'll even get the call nowadays either. I'd rather see the clean shot get up...and that's what they got.

Also a bummer to see Routledge go down...hopefully it's not too serious.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:23 pm

I thought the A tournament was really good games. Close and they played hard. Class B talent pool I was not to impressed. Title game of 2 points in the first QT.... Not impressed.

I saw Thompson play a number of times this year and they have been really good but they just could not hit anything on Friday night.
Anyone have attendance numbers for the A and B and compared to the B last year.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby 5-time state chump » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:03 am

ballernd wrote:Just shows that Devils Lake doesn’t belong in the middle division and belongs in the AAA division. They have the attitude of a big school team! Coach is arrogant and it shows how is girls act. They play the big school basketball were they don’t care how much they foul. First round of state they are up by 20 with 2 minutes and still press!! We get it your better than everyone else!

You're not much of a thinker I take it. You're more so a "blurter" -- just blurting out the first thing that comes to mind, rather than think. It's okay, we were all 12 once.

So you're okay with Devils Lake playing Minot? Minot is 5x the size of Devils Lake. They are 7x the size of VC.

You're okay with that, but you're not okay with Devils Lake playing South Prairie Max? LOL.

I could give DOZENS of more situations like this.

I can't wait to hear your explanation.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:18 am

5-time state chump wrote:

You're not much of a thinker I take it. You're more so a "blurter" -- just blurting out the first thing that comes to mind, rather than think. It's okay, we were all 12 once.

So you're okay with Devils Lake playing Minot? Minot is 5x the size of Devils Lake. They are 7x the size of VC.

You're okay with that, but you're not okay with Devils Lake playing South Prairie Max? LOL.

Is "your not much of a thinker" your stock line?

Remove Minot from the the equation, Devils lake is approximately 3 times smaller than 5 teams in the EDC, 2 times smaller than 5 others, 1.5 times smaller than 1, and larger than 3.

In the current A division, Devils lake is 3 times larger than 7 opponents, 2.5 times larger than 8, and 2 times larger than 3.....

Seems pretty comparable.....

Where did Baller talk about Valley City??

I wasn't at the state tournament so I have no idea if Devils Lake/the coach acted up or ran up the score. I didn't watch much on TV either.

I do find it ironic that you accuse of Baller of being 12 years old while YOU call he/she names......
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby 5-time state chump » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:43 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:

Remove Minot from the the equation, Devils lake is approximately 3 times smaller than 5 teams in the EDC, 2 times smaller than 5 others, 1.5 times smaller than 1, and larger than 3.

In the current A division, Devils lake is 3 times larger than 7 opponents, 2.5 times larger than 8, and 2 times larger than 3.....

I wasn't at the state tournament so I have no idea if Devils Lake/the coach acted up or ran up the score. I didn't watch much on TV either.

I do find it ironic that you accuse of Baller of being 12 years old while YOU call he/she names......

Remove Minot from the equation? What about Remove Century and Sheyenne from the equation?

So then we should remove Devils Lake from the equation. LOL.

You can't cherry pick. Buuut....everyone cherry picks in the division their home team is in. There are other teams and other divisions. You can't just create a division that works out for your home team.

The problem is....the number of schools in ND. There simply aren't enough.

If you want to created divisions that are "fair" -- you'll need like ohh...say...6-10 divisions.

It's NEVER going to be fair. Ever.

I want you or whoever to create 2 or 3 divisions that have BOTH an adequate number of teams AND its fair to everyone. Enrollments need to be similar.

Go.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bk1990 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:34 am

maddog1971 wrote:The problem we have is that most of the successful teams press the whole game win or lose. That is the only way they know how to play. They depend on their athletes to be better than yours. I don't like watching it because the game has no flow and just girls shooting layups. If I was coaching now I would work on press breakers the whole practice and not even worry about a half court offense.
Dont get me wrong... you win and win big if your kids are athletes and can make a layup. Just not fun to watch for me.

We have 3 classes for a reason. Devils Lake is the big dog in a medium size pool. Don't complain... beat them.

Are you serious? Beat them? That's your response?

Easy to say now when it is Devils Lake playing a school less than half its' size, but when it is someone like a Shiloh with 155 kids or Ryan with 92 in their school are beating schools the SAME SIZE or LARGER, its not fair? When they say, if you don't like us winning, beat us, that not fair? But now since its Devils Lake where it is actually a school that is larger, not just a school in larger town (because living in a larger town somehow is unfair to rural counterparts) now your response is "Just beat us then"
You kinda want to have it both ways it seems as long as it is your way - oh, and no privates in B
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:42 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:

Remove Minot from the equation? What about Remove Century and Sheyenne from the equation?

You can't cherry pick. Buuut....everyone cherry picks in the division their home team is in. There are other teams and other divisions. You can't just create a division that works out for your home team.

If you want to created divisions that are "fair" -- you'll need like ohh...say...6-10 divisions.

I want you or whoever to create 2 or 3 divisions that have BOTH an adequate number of teams AND its fair to everyone. Enrollments need to be similar.

Go.

Sheyenne 2.81 times bigger than Devils Lake. Century 2.56 times bigger than Devils Lake.

Devils Lake 3.21 times larger than Carrington......DL over Carrington last night 100-42.

I imagine Carrington has the same complaint that you did when Devils Lake was in the EDC?

You say that you "can't pick a division that works out for your team" - not sure I would agree - it would appear that this new plan has indeed worked out for a few teams with the voting power.

Is it your assertion that Devils Lake wasn't able to compete in the EDC?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:10 pm

I got more issues with their boys team chucking 3s and and players taunting each one going in while being up by 50-60 points last night vs. Carrington than ANYTHING they did this past weekend in the girls tournament.

Their girls lost 6 games this year and other than in the NC game at State were challenged (SPM had to settle in first then it got tight...even without Routledge). They have depth so fouls don't matter much...teams with depth have that luxury...the create chaos with their pressure.

Of the 5 schools that moved down to the middle class
Devils Lake improved from 5-17 to 21-6 (they would have won around 8-10 this year with EDC being down)
Valley City improved from 6-15 to 19-9 (they would have won around 7-9 this year with the EDC being down)
Watford City improved from 3-19 to 18-10 (they would have won around 5-6 this year in WDA)
Turtle Mountain improved from 6-16 to 10-14 (they would have won maybe 2-3 this year in WDA)

Wahpeton regressed from 15-9 to 11-12 (maybe 5-6 wins in the EDC this year)

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 5-time state chump » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:23 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

Go.

Sheyenne 2.81 times bigger than Devils Lake. Century 2.56 times bigger than Devils Lake.

Devils Lake 3.21 times larger than Carrington......DL over Carrington last night 100-42.

I imagine Carrington has the same complaint that you did when Devils Lake was in the EDC?

You say that you "can't pick a division that works out for your team" - not sure I would agree - it would appear that this new plan has indeed worked out for a few teams with the voting power.

I'm saying....it's not about "competing" - I'm not defending Devils Lake. I'm defending the fact there isn't a system that will be "fair".

I'm saying no matter how you rearrange the classes... some teams will have VERY VALID arguments that it's simply not fair. I'm saying...it's always going to be that way.

I'm also saying that we need to arrange the divisions the best we can (again, it won't be fair) based on ENROLLMENT, NOT whether someone can compete or not. It's not about whether Devils Lake could compete.

Cavalier could compete in 9 man football just fine. In fact, they did so well that the NDHSAA say "you're too good at competing", you win too much....so they moved them up to 11-man. LOL. That's the WRONG way in my mind. Penalize a team because their good? Reward teams (move them down) because they have poor culture in their school and can't win vs teams their own size? That's wrong also.

I'm against moving teams so they can compete. If your enrollment is the same, but you happen to have crappy culture in your school and you continually lose to teams your size....moving a school down...is the "everyone gets a ribbon or medal" attitude.

Back to my original argument -- No matter how the schools are arranged in a 2 or 3 class system....there are going to be schools that are too big or too small. So one guy is whining about Devils Lake being to big. So move them to AA. Now their too small. Only way, like I said is to have about 6 or more classes so everyone can compete against schools their size. There simply ISN'T an answer. But folks don't think about that. When VC and DL and Wahp and Watford are having to play Century and Davies and Minot.... they had a valid argument. When South Prairie had to play Devils Lake, South Prairie had a valid argument.

No matter what you do, someone is gonna have a valid argument.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:44 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

Go.

I'm saying....it's not about "competing" - I'm not defending Devils Lake. I'm defending the fact there isn't a system that will be "fair".

I'm saying no matter how you rearrange the classes... some teams will have VERY VALID arguments that it's simply not fair. I'm saying...it's always going to be that way.

I'm also saying that we need to arrange the divisions the best we can (again, it won't be fair) based on ENROLLMENT, NOT whether someone can compete or not. It's not about whether Devils Lake could compete.

Cavalier could compete in 9 man football just fine. In fact, they did so well that the NDHSAA say "you're too good at competing", you win too much....so they moved them up to 11-man. LOL. That's the WRONG way in my mind. Penalize a team because their good? Reward teams (move them down) because they have poor culture in their school and can't win vs teams their own size? That's wrong also.

I'm against moving teams so they can compete. If your enrollment is the same, but you happen to have crappy culture in your school and you continually lose to teams your size....moving a school down...is the "everyone gets a ribbon or medal" attitude.

Back to my original argument -- No matter how the schools are arranged in a 2 or 3 class system....there are going to be schools that are too big or too small. So one guy is whining about Devils Lake being to big. So move them to AA. Now their too small. Only way, like I said is to have about 6 or more classes so everyone can compete against schools their size. There simply ISN'T an answer. But folks don't think about that. When VC and DL and Wahp and Watford are having to play Century and Davies and Minot.... they had a valid argument. When South Prairie had to play Devils Lake, South Prairie had a valid argument.

No matter what you do, someone is gonna have a valid argument.

I agree - someone is always going to be on the outside looking in. My biggest complaint - get a UNBIASED group to decide. Not a bunch of people with irons on the fire. Just for kicks, I looked a numbers for a 4 class plan with a 2.5 - 1 Ratio. Here is what I came up with:

45 -115: Smallest School - White Shield. Largest - Larimore. 39 schools
116-287.5: Smallest School: South Border Largest School - Grafton. 55 Schools
287.5 - 760: Smallest School: Shiloh Christian Largest school: Jamestown. 16 schools
760 and up: Smallest School: Fargo South. Largest School: Minot. 14 schools
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:17 pm

Overall the Girls Class A tournament was much better than the Class B tournament. Better athletes make for better games. I was shocked at how young South Prairie was and look forward to watching them next year.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:40 pm

I don't know how watered down we want to make our classes. I think the three class system is a definite improvement. I don't know if I agree with the way the cutoffs were drawn. I expressed that a couple of schools are in classes they probably shouldn't be. To me, it also seems like that is why people are the most upset.

My first glance at the quick 4 class proposal just shocked me. I know it's probably just sticker shock, but I can't fathom a system where a school the size of Grafton would be in a division smaller than Bismarck Shiloh Christian.

You do not want to water down classes to the point where more than 40 percent of your teams make the state tournament in multiple divisions, see Wyoming's structure for example.

*edited
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:53 pm

bk1990 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:The problem we have is that most of the successful teams press the whole game win or lose. That is the only way they know how to play. They depend on their athletes to be better than yours. I don't like watching it because the game has no flow and just girls shooting layups. If I was coaching now I would work on press breakers the whole practice and not even worry about a half court offense.

Easy to say now when it is Devils Lake playing a school less than half its' size, but when it is someone like a Shiloh with 155 kids or Ryan with 92 in their school are beating schools the SAME SIZE or LARGER, its not fair? When they say, if you don't like us winning, beat us, that not fair? But now since its Devils Lake where it is actually a school that is larger, not just a school in larger town (because living in a larger town somehow is unfair to rural counterparts) now your response is "Just beat us then"
You kinda want to have it both ways it seems as long as it is your way - oh, and no privates in B

If you can not understand or even see the numbers of wins and losses on why private schools do not belong in Class B... I can not help you.
Ryan has a real shot at winning the State this year. In fact they should and they are my pick. They had 7 seniors graduate off of their team last year. You tell me another Class B school that can do that for an extended amount of time. How can you justify saying the privates do not have an advantage? By the way Our Redeemers? They could never compete... ummm what?
Powers Lake had a run for a few years and now they are struggling and they will struggle. That is how it is supposed to work in Class B. Why is Ryan so scared to compete where they belong?

And stop playing the Joe Biden card and don't keep saying I am against private schools because nothing can be further from the truth. I would have sent my kids to private if one had been close to me. BUT I know where they belong.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:43 pm

The Schwab wrote:I don't know how watered down we want to make our classes. I think the three class system is a definite improvement. I don't know if I agree with the way the cutoffs were drawn. I expressed that a couple of schools are in classes they probably shouldn't be. To me, it also seems like that is why people are the most upset.

My first glance at the quick 4 class proposal just shocked me. I know it's probably just sticker shock, but I can't fathom a system where a school the size of Grafton would be in a division smaller than Bismarck Shiloh Christian.

You do not want to water down classes to the point where more than 40 percent of your teams make the state tournament in multiple divisions, see Wyoming's structure for example.

*edited

Shiloh's enrollment would double according to how NDHSAA is doing things right now.

One of the main reasons given by the powers that be were so "more kids could have the state tournament experience." Would seem if they were being genuine that 4 classes would accomplish that more than 3.

It very possibly was so that "there kids could have the state tournament experience."
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby bk1990 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:26 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
bk1990 wrote:

If you can not understand or even see the numbers of wins and losses on why private schools do not belong in Class B... I can not help you.
Ryan has a real shot at winning the State this year. In fact they should and they are my pick. They had 7 seniors graduate off of their team last year. You tell me another Class B school that can do that for an extended amount of time. How can you justify saying the privates do not have an advantage? By the way Our Redeemers? They could never compete... ummm what?
Powers Lake had a run for a few years and now they are struggling and they will struggle. That is how it is supposed to work in Class B. Why is Ryan so scared to compete where they belong?

And stop playing the Joe Biden card and don't keep saying I am against private schools because nothing can be further from the truth. I would have sent my kids to private if one had been close to me. BUT I know where they belong.

First, you are not against privates schools? Anything you have eve said is against them, so creditability is questionable right there.
Second, look at culture rather than numbers. Take some larger schools in old B, Hazen, Killdeer, Carrington, they have not been to multiple state tourneys, has nothing to do with size of school, where a Beulah, Hillsboro, Rugby have been. Its more to do with culture than numbers.
Teams are supposed to struggle, that is how it is supposed to work? OK.....
Finally, how can Ryan continue to compete? Well, I have seen a couple of their games in person and online, first, they have a good coach who doesn't seem to get rattled and in turn the players remain composed. Second, the big kid they have, he seems to do everything from hit 3's to lead transition fast breaks to lock down defender and rim protector. In my opinion, he could easily be one of the top players in the state in any class, not just B. the announcers said he is a 19 point 11 rebound player, and that is with double and triple teams, love to see what he could do in AA where a consistent double or triple teams do not happen too often. Now put a couple good outside shooters and slashers around him, that is why they are good.
They are not scared to "play where they belong" They are playing where they supposed to be based on enrollment. Even as the NDHSAA tried as hard as they could with their 100 student rule for schools in an A town
Also, just to repeat myself again, I have never said privates do not have advantages, they do, better access to facilities, resources, etc, but it is up to the kid to use them. The Shiloh kid see's his neighbor who goes to Century headed to the Y to play a pickup game, he might jump in the car with him. You still have to put in the work to be successful, it isn't just because of where you live
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:41 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I don't know how watered down we want to make our classes. I think the three class system is a definite improvement. I don't know if I agree with the way the cutoffs were drawn. I expressed that a couple of schools are in classes they probably shouldn't be. To me, it also seems like that is why people are the most upset.

*edited

Shiloh's enrollment would double according to how NDHSAA is doing things right now.

One of the main reasons given by the powers that be were so "more kids could have the state tournament experience." Would seem if they were being genuine that 4 classes would accomplish that more than 3.

It very possibly was so that "there kids could have the state tournament experience."

In Wyoming, plenty of kids get opportunities to play in a state tournament. In almost every class there are 16 teams, 8 in each region, half of the teams in the region go to state. You routinely have teams with records far under .500 playing in the state tournament. Atmosphere is almost non existent at the 1A and 2A level.

I truly think that ND is doing it right with having a 3 class system. There are tweaks that need to be made for sure.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby MoSiouxFan » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:59 pm

I've heard their coach interviewed on the radio several times, and he's never come across as arrogant. He doesn't have any big stars on his team, but he has 10 or so girls that have bought into his system and have learned to play it well. The system that he has, and his ability to get his players to buy into it, speaks well of his ability as a coach.

By the way, Devils Lake DID go home..........clutching the State Championship Trophy.
MoSiouxFan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:09 pm

MoSiouxFan wrote:

I've heard their coach interviewed on the radio several times, and he's never come across as arrogant. He doesn't have any big stars on his team, but he has 10 or so girls that have bought into his system and have learned to play it well. The system that he has, and his ability to get his players to buy into it, speaks well of his ability as a coach.

By the way, Devils Lake DID go home..........clutching the State Championship Trophy.

Their coach is one of the nicest guys; their girls are some of the humblest athletes...maybe get to know them before you trash them. Yup DL went on to win but it's not like they rolled through the State...they had 6 losses on the season...played their best ball in the postseason.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Girls