Team reclassification?

Class A Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Team reclassification?

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:14 pm

Common sense would go a long way in determining divisions. I guess you have to have it spelled out to a T for some people.

Teams that have been brought up in this thread already (sorry if I miss any)
1. HCV Girls- I would assume the petition would be accepted for them to move to class B.

2. Thompson girls- They are right where they belong in Class A. They did "move up a division" so their points from previous years shouldn't count- reason? common sense.

3. Langdon girls- if they experience success as assumed, should play class A.

4. Devils Lake boys- I think they're a AA team, but we shall see how things play out.

5. Cavalier football- Moved up, played a tough schedule against schools they shouldn't have had to play against, made the playoffs. Now moving to 9-man, where they belong. Hats off to Cavailer for what they did this year.

6. FWM girls- I'm kind of on the fence with them. We'll see what happens.

7. Carrington boys- same as above.

8. GFC Girls- one of 2 public schools in the 3rd largest city in the state. Should be in the top classification.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:03 pm

WalkingStick wrote:"The tournament performance factor will be a three-year cumulative total of no less than six points per division"

Key statement being overlooked.

Thompson was Class B for 2021-2022, 2022-2023 seasons therefore their success points will not be used in addition to the 2023-2024 season as they are in a different division. Their Success points start now for their new division (Class A).

CONFIRMED via NDHSAA Rep.

"Success points accrued in a lower division do not count to a team's total"

Therefore, success points for any Class A team RIGHT NOW are all sitting at 0.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bk1990 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:14 am

The Schwab wrote:Common sense would go a long way in determining divisions. I guess you have to have it spelled out to a T for some people.

1. HCV Girls- I would assume the petition would be accepted for them to move to class B.

2. Thompson girls- They are right where they belong in Class A. They did "move up a division" so their points from previous years shouldn't count- reason? common sense.

4. Devils Lake boys- I think they're a AA team, but we shall see how things play out.

5. Cavalier football- Moved up, played a tough schedule against schools they shouldn't have had to play against, made the playoffs. Now moving to 9-man, where they belong. Hats off to Cavailer for what they did this year.

8. GFC Girls- one of 2 public schools in the 3rd largest city in the state. Should be in the top classification.

Common sense seems to be lacking in my opinion, not trying to be combative, but will give my take on your points above, whether agree or disagree

1. Why? Your enrollment has you in A. Your boys team does just fine

2. I agree. you are where you belong, but don't say they were moved up a class, basically just playing same teams for the most part, got rid of a few smaller ones, added a bigger school or two, nobody "moved" to A, just changed names of divisions

3. Why punish someone for being good consistently? You want to beat them, get better. Don't take the easy way out and move them out

4. One of the reasons for the 3 class was because smaller A schools couldn't compete with the big schools, now because they are beating up on schools a third of their size, ship them out back to playing the big boys? Seems they are admitting they made a mistake

5. Good culture, proved it by winning. Going to the class their size says they should be, not being determined by being successful, isn't that the way it should be? If you are successful, good for you.

6. Stay in the class your size says you should be, your male counterparts are successful

7. Successful in other winter sports, that life, can't be good in all sports. Grans Forks schools typically are good in hockey not basketball, that is the sport that is the focus, that's life

8. Agree, once again, that's life, not familiar with them, but do they have a successful girls hockey program? If anything like their boys teams, probably are and that is the popular sport for the students and may get the better athletes

As I said, not trying trying to attack someones point of view, just trying to give another take on opinions to create discussion
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:13 am

My opinion is that it is way to early into this changes to start making additional changes. We aren't even half way through the first season!

Everybody knew HCV girls were going to struggle. They are in a tough spot. Carrington boys possibly the same.

Thompson girls are playing right where they belong. Same with the DL boys. Neither are completely dominating and their success will ebb and flow just like every other program. FWM girls have some nice young players and I feel they will do just fine in the middle class. They have already shown they can compete.

I don't feel Langdon girls should have to move up, but they may be forced to after this season. They have a great senior class that has had a lot of success. Not sure that will continue, at least not as dominant, after this season. I just don't agree with the forced move up a division unless the success points are increased. If a program does it over 5-6 years, sure. If a program has a great class and they are successful for 3 years, when they leave should the next group be punished?

Cavalier was forced to move up and did just fine, but their enrollment is not going to allow that to continue at that level. Being in 9man is where they should be, even if they have been extremely successful due to their culture.

I think it would be interesting to look at some actually data after this season. Will 40 point blowouts in all divisions go down? Will participation numbers slowly increase? Lots of factors involved here to see if changes will have a positive effect.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:53 am

bk1990 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Common sense would go a long way in determining divisions. I guess you have to have it spelled out to a T for some people.

Common sense seems to be lacking in my opinion, not trying to be combative, but will give my take on your points above, whether agree or disagree

2. I agree. you are where you belong, but don't say they were moved up a class, basically just playing same teams for the most part, got rid of a few smaller ones, added a bigger school or two, nobody "moved" to A, just changed names of divisions

3. Why punish someone for being good consistently? You want to beat them, get better. Don't take the easy way out and move them out

4. One of the reasons for the 3 class was because smaller A schools couldn't compete with the big schools, now because they are beating up on schools a third of their size, ship them out back to playing the big boys? Seems they are admitting they made a mistake

5. Good culture, proved it by winning. Going to the class their size says they should be, not being determined by being successful, isn't that the way it should be? If you are successful, good for you.

6. Stay in the class your size says you should be, your male counterparts are successful

7. Successful in other winter sports, that life, can't be good in all sports. Grans Forks schools typically are good in hockey not basketball, that is the sport that is the focus, that's life

8. Agree, once again, that's life, not familiar with them, but do they have a successful girls hockey program? If anything like their boys teams, probably are and that is the popular sport for the students and may get the better athletes

As I said, not trying trying to attack someones point of view, just trying to give another take on opinions to create discussion

It seems like you want it to be based on enrollment alone. If we do that, are we going to let the private schools be in class B? However that decision is made, needs to be followed in all cases. Petitioning down I don't feel will ever be able to be handled the same in every case. For years and years no one cared if small schools got their heads kicked in year after year. That doesn't seem to be the case now. If I'm looking at it from only my point of view (no teams should be able to petition down). My thoughts on cases was based on the current plan being able to force teams up eventually and let teams petition down.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:01 am

What was the lawsuit going to be based on that came from Western ND?
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby RiverMiner99 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:41 pm

I agree with bk1990. Play where your enrollment places you. Privates need to be addressed differently than enrollment alone. I wanted to start this discussion after hearing of HCV asking to be moved down. I feel if you begin to approve these you need to also stay with moving teams up. Teams should not be moved up based on success, and teams should not be moved down due to lack of success. Classifying teams this way is crazy and only leads to questioning of the system. Maybe the success and lack of success should only apply to privates? If HCV wants to move their girls' program down a class could they disbanded the Coop for girls basketball only? I'm sure Central Valley would be below the cut number, not sure about Hillsboro. If they did do this, I'm not sure at this time if either team would have enough to field a team without girls open enrolling to one of the schools. However, now that we have 3 classes in basketball the number of girls participating with be going up and won't be a problem (I'm joking here as I think this was the most dishonest reason given for going to 3 classes by the NDHSAA).
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:28 pm

bk1990 wrote:

Agree with most of this but show me where Devils Lake was not competitive at the now AA level
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:50 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:I agree with bk1990. Play where your enrollment places you. Privates need to be addressed differently than enrollment alone. I wanted to start this discussion after hearing of HCV asking to be moved down. I feel if you begin to approve these you need to also stay with moving teams up. Teams should not be moved up based on success, and teams should not be moved down due to lack of success. Classifying teams this way is crazy and only leads to questioning of the system. Maybe the success and lack of success should only apply to privates? If HCV wants to move their girls' program down a class could they disbanded the Coop for girls basketball only? I'm sure Central Valley would be below the cut number, not sure about Hillsboro. If they did do this, I'm not sure at this time if either team would have enough to field a team without girls open enrolling to one of the schools. However, now that we have 3 classes in basketball the number of girls participating with be going up and won't be a problem (I'm joking here as I think this was the most dishonest reason given for going to 3 classes by the NDHSAA).

You better come up with a system that uses some form of multiplier that can be used with all schools to accomplish this goal.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby RiverMiner99 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:13 pm

I agree that it is difficult to come up with a way to get the privates in the correct class. I think most would agree they should be in the middle class except for St. Mary's and Shanley. Current method is the best we have ever had, and it's not perfect. If they don't like that, maybe it's just time for the NDHSAA to just not include them. They could have their own athletic association if they are not willing to work with the NDHSAA. Is there anything that says that private schools have to be allowed into the NDHSAA? Obviously, it's better to have them a part of the association, but need to make sure they are in the correct class. Thankfully Shanley opts up for football.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby bk1990 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:29 pm

The Schwab wrote:
RiverMiner99 wrote:I agree with bk1990. Play where your enrollment places you. Privates need to be addressed differently than enrollment alone. I wanted to start this discussion after hearing of HCV asking to be moved down. I feel if you begin to approve these you need to also stay with moving teams up. Teams should not be moved up based on success, and teams should not be moved down due to lack of success. Classifying teams this way is crazy and only leads to questioning of the system. Maybe the success and lack of success should only apply to privates? If HCV wants to move their girls' program down a class could they disbanded the Coop for girls basketball only? I'm sure Central Valley would be below the cut number, not sure about Hillsboro. If they did do this, I'm not sure at this time if either team would have enough to field a team without girls open enrolling to one of the schools. However, now that we have 3 classes in basketball the number of girls participating with be going up and won't be a problem (I'm joking here as I think this was the most dishonest reason given for going to 3 classes by the NDHSAA).

You better come up with a system that uses some form of multiplier that can be used with all schools to accomplish this goal.

I'm glad someone does agree with me, but I do have I don't totally agree with some of your statements. First, private schools are treated different already. Isn't the formula now, if you are in an "A' town (old A) and you are a private, if enrollment over 100, moved to new A, if over 350 (?), not sure where this was set, you are moved to AA?
I still have a hard time with how it is assumed just because you live in Bismarck, Minot, Fargo or Dickinson, it automatically gives you an athletic advantage? Is it the water? Grace of God? Please, someone come up with something other than the blanket statement that " They have an unfair advantage". Please specify what it is or don't say it.
"They recruit" Really? I don't like to mention names on this site of high school kids, I don't think it is appropriate, but I'm to the point of give me some names and proof or quit saying it. It's easy to hide behind inaccurate and vague statements when you don't have to provide proof.
I have met people whose kids went to parochial schools, it is an added expense and if a school was recruiting and paying tuition for the athletes, I guaranty the other families who were paying full price would have been at the first school board meeting after this happened and put an end to that. Money is tight enough, I'm sure they wouldn't want to pay for someone else's kids tuition just for sports. They receive no state money, I'm sure their budget is tight enough. They aren't trying to recoup by getting a few extra people to come watch a kid play a basketball game, it takes a lot of $7 gate fees to recoup that.
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:35 am

bk1990 wrote:I still have a hard time with how it is assumed just because you live in Bismarck, Minot, Fargo or Dickinson, it automatically gives you an athletic advantage? Is it the water? Grace of God? Please, someone come up with something other than the blanket statement that " They have an unfair advantage". Please specify what it is or don't say it.

Access to facilities, involved parents, money.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:24 am

bk1990 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

I'm glad someone does agree with me, but I do have I don't totally agree with some of your statements. First, private schools are treated different already. Isn't the formula now, if you are in an "A' town (old A) and you are a private, if enrollment over 100, moved to new A, if over 350 (?), not sure where this was set, you are moved to AA?
I still have a hard time with how it is assumed just because you live in Bismarck, Minot, Fargo or Dickinson, it automatically gives you an athletic advantage? Is it the water? Grace of God? Please, someone come up with something other than the blanket statement that " They have an unfair advantage". Please specify what it is or don't say it.
"They recruit" Really? I don't like to mention names on this site of high school kids, I don't think it is appropriate, but I'm to the point of give me some names and proof or quit saying it. It's easy to hide behind inaccurate and vague statements when you don't have to provide proof.
I have met people whose kids went to parochial schools, it is an added expense and if a school was recruiting and paying tuition for the athletes, I guaranty the other families who were paying full price would have been at the first school board meeting after this happened and put an end to that. Money is tight enough, I'm sure they wouldn't want to pay for someone else's kids tuition just for sports. They receive no state money, I'm sure their budget is tight enough. They aren't trying to recoup by getting a few extra people to come watch a kid play a basketball game, it takes a lot of $7 gate fees to recoup that.

Privates are treated differently now. In my opinion, they should be. My opinions are just that, my opinions. They come from many years of being involved in public education, in many different positions.

I'll be honest, if a few of those teams mentioned have to play in a bigger classification than they want to, I'm 100 percent fine with it. To be honest, I don't think any team should be able to petition down for at least 3 years. I don't know how I feel about teams being forced up. I don't think I've seen an idea on that that I really like. It sure shouldn't be after having two good years.

I actually like most of the current plan. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But make no mistake, it is better than it was. Some on here will disagree with me, and that is just fine.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:51 am

I think that there are flaws...but I do agree we will be in a better position in a few years with 3 classes than we were with 2.

I also don't like that if you have two good years...should be 10 points over 3 years or something like that...Some Class B schools have great talent moving through right now...but will it be sustained...not sure.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:55 am

bk1990 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

The State Legislature gave over $10 million of our tax dollars to private schools last session. (They were asking for $25 million.) I would bet the privates will be back next session asking for more tax dollars for private schools.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bk1990 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:25 pm

Flip wrote:
bk1990 wrote:I still have a hard time with how it is assumed just because you live in Bismarck, Minot, Fargo or Dickinson, it automatically gives you an athletic advantage? Is it the water? Grace of God? Please, someone come up with something other than the blanket statement that " They have an unfair advantage". Please specify what it is or don't say it.

Exactly, I have said that a number of times, being in a city does give you access to facilities, etc, but you still have to use them. That comes down to the child. I would like to think parents are involved in public schools. Money? I haven't seen any financial statements, but I'm pretty sure there are public school parents who make good money, and public schools I'm pretty sure have deeper pockets than private schools,

Also, the $10,000,000 that was mentioned, it may have been passed by the legislature, but if we are thinking about the same thing, our governor vetoed the bill. Private schools do not get any money from the state or local governments. So on top of paying for their kids to go to a private school and save money for the local school districts, they are still paying property taxes to pay for others peoples kids to go to school. But they chose to do so.
Also contrary to popular belief, not all families that choose to send their children to private schools are wealthy, they make sacrifices to do so
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:41 pm

bk1990 wrote:Exactly, I have said that a number of times, being in a city does give you access to facilities, etc, but you still have to use them. That comes down to the child. I would like to think parents are involved in public schools. Money? I haven't seen any financial statements, but I'm pretty sure there are public school parents who make good money, and public schools I'm pretty sure have deeper pockets than private schools,

The kid that lives in Glenfield doesn't even have the opportunity to use the facilities the kid at Shiloh does.

I'm not saying there aren't wealthy or involved parents at public schools. Take the 100 kids and their parents that go to Ryan and compare them to the 100 kids and their parents that go to Northwood. It's not the same or even close.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bk1990 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:05 am

Flip wrote:
bk1990 wrote:Exactly, I have said that a number of times, being in a city does give you access to facilities, etc, but you still have to use them. That comes down to the child. I would like to think parents are involved in public schools. Money? I haven't seen any financial statements, but I'm pretty sure there are public school parents who make good money, and public schools I'm pretty sure have deeper pockets than private schools,

The kid that lives in Glenfield doesn't even have the opportunity to use the facilities the kid at Shiloh does.

I'm not saying there aren't wealthy or involved parents at public schools. Take the 100 kids and their parents that go to Ryan and compare them to the 100 kids and their parents that go to Northwood. It's not the same or even close.

Why and how? Please explain. Can't wait to hear what makes Ryan kids and parents superior to Northwood kids and parents in your opinion.
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:47 am

bk1990 wrote:
Flip wrote:

Why and how? Please explain. Can't wait to hear what makes Ryan kids and parents superior to Northwood kids and parents in your opinion.

What's the free and reduced percentage at Minot Bishop Ryan? What's the percentage of students on IEP's at Minot Bishop Ryan?

They're not superior as human beings, but the makeup of the school community is different.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby bk1990 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:38 pm

The Schwab wrote:
bk1990 wrote:
Flip wrote:

What's the free and reduced percentage at Minot Bishop Ryan? What's the percentage of students on IEP's at Minot Bishop Ryan?

They're not superior as human beings, but the makeup of the school community is different.

Oh this should be good, what does it matter what the free and reduced percentage is? Or the IEP? What does that have to do with anything related to athletic success? Are you saying because a kid is on free/reduced they aren't as good of an athlete? Please answer they way I think you will and insult some more people.
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:15 pm

bk1990 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
bk1990 wrote:
Flip wrote:

Oh this should be good, what does it matter what the free and reduced percentage is? Or the IEP? What does that have to do with anything related to athletic success? Are you saying because a kid is on free/reduced they aren't as good of an athlete? Please answer they way I think you will and insult some more people.

Do not try to put words in my mouth. There is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone who is on Free and Reduced or on an IEP. Not one thing, period.

If you honestly think that all 100 kids at a PAY FOR EDUCATION institution are the same as all 100 kids at a PUBLIC EDUCATION institution when it comes to outside resources and availability of extra opportunities then you speak from a place of privilege with no clue as to how things really truly are.

Get a clue.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:21 pm

bk1990 wrote:
Flip wrote:

Exactly, I have said that a number of times, being in a city does give you access to facilities, etc, but you still have to use them. That comes down to the child. I would like to think parents are involved in public schools. Money? I haven't seen any financial statements, but I'm pretty sure there are public school parents who make good money, and public schools I'm pretty sure have deeper pockets than private schools,

Also, the $10,000,000 that was mentioned, it may have been passed by the legislature, but if we are thinking about the same thing, our governor vetoed the bill. Private schools do not get any money from the state or local governments. So on top of paying for their kids to go to a private school and save money for the local school districts, they are still paying property taxes to pay for others peoples kids to go to school. But they chose to do so.
Also contrary to popular belief, not all families that choose to send their children to private schools are wealthy, they make sacrifices to do so

Financial Aid is very helpful in helping make private education a reality for many families (just like college).

There are definitive differences between Private and Public schools and the advantages that each have over the other...Also, being near a larger city is a bit more advantageous for opportunities then being in a small rural community.

Larger cities have facilities that are open to the public (fitness centers, etc.) where a rural community might have a weight room that has to be opened by someone at the school (not open all the time...especially in the summer when the school isn't open all the time during the day).

Larger cities have the strength training programs available via Sanford or others...smaller rural communities either have farm work as their strength training or those athletes have to travel 50+ miles to get it...that's time away from the family business of farming for some athletes.

$$ is less of a clear advantage of a larger city cause some of those rural families have lots of $$...its more so TIME for people which is limited...less travel if you are within 30 miles of a larger city...families that have to travel 50-100 miles for these 'amenities' are less likely to do so.
AAU costs a boatload of money BUT it's the TIME required that can make things hard on rural families/athletes.

None of this is insulting...there are correlations between what people have brought up here...we just all have to have an open mind to understand them.

I have public and private school education...I know people in both sides of this argument.
This topic has gone a bit off the rails...Back to the original statement...I'd have no objections for HCV to move to B - they are playing a mostly B schedule this year anyways...I think there's proof in their results that they might belong down...but if they end up having to stay up there program will continue to struggle and their numbers will drop. People stated they wanted competitive balance and them moving down gives competitive games instead of 5-10 beatdowns if they have to stay in A...just my two cents.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bk1990 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:06 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
bk1990 wrote:
Flip wrote:

Financial Aid is very helpful in helping make private education a reality for many families (just like college).

There are definitive differences between Private and Public schools and the advantages that each have over the other...Also, being near a larger city is a bit more advantageous for opportunities then being in a small rural community.

Larger cities have facilities that are open to the public (fitness centers, etc.) where a rural community might have a weight room that has to be opened by someone at the school (not open all the time...especially in the summer when the school isn't open all the time during the day).

Larger cities have the strength training programs available via Sanford or others...smaller rural communities either have farm work as their strength training or those athletes have to travel 50+ miles to get it...that's time away from the family business of farming for some athletes.

$$ is less of a clear advantage of a larger city cause some of those rural families have lots of $$...its more so TIME for people which is limited...less travel if you are within 30 miles of a larger city...families that have to travel 50-100 miles for these 'amenities' are less likely to do so.
AAU costs a boatload of money BUT it's the TIME required that can make things hard on rural families/athletes.

None of this is insulting...there are correlations between what people have brought up here...we just all have to have an open mind to understand them.

I have public and private school education...I know people in both sides of this argument.
This topic has gone a bit off the rails...Back to the original statement...I'd have no objections for HCV to move to B - they are playing a mostly B schedule this year anyways...I think there's proof in their results that they might belong down...but if they end up having to stay up there program will continue to struggle and their numbers will drop. People stated they wanted competitive balance and them moving down gives competitive games instead of 5-10 beatdowns if they have to stay in A...just my two cents.

I agree with most of what you said, your statements are similar to what I have been saying. Access to facilities and resources are a difference maker, not private or public education. I have said time and time again, living in a larger city does have advantages, as you list above with regards to training facilities and programs.
I also have had exposure to public and private education, and also to AAU basketball. You are correct, it is a issue of time and how you want to spend. I don't totally agree with saying AAU ball is expensive, which it can be, but many of the programs will work with the families to make affordable, and even load a bunch of the kids up and take to tourny's if parents can't, this can also be cost effective. I know some families who farm and their kids did AAU ball in the summer and I grew up on farm, I know It is not impossible to take a few weekends in the summer and hit a tourny, the busier times are spring and fall.
I still also feel your enrollment is what it is, that should determine the class you play in, when one program can be successful and the other isn't, boys and girls, makes it hard for me to justify teams from the same school playing in different classes
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby RiverMiner99 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:21 pm

No need to move any team up or down a division based on success. In the HCV girls BB case. Just do as they are doing and only schedule 1 game against top region opponents. Schedule down a class to find more even competition until program is ready. They should not be allowed to move down a division to find success. If they were to move down and start having success, that comes at the expense of team that are in the correct division. Plus, if they were in Class B this year, they would lose to some of those teams by 20+ points so you are not solving their competitive issues. This is probably the best thing to come out of the 3 class system. You can schedule up or down to find the competition that is right for your program.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby kboftw » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:42 pm

HCV has a nice group of freshmen and some juniors who can shoot. They'll grow and get better. The program has about 15 7th graders and I've heard they have a big 6th grade group coming in next year for basketball, so their numbers will be OK. You could put 90% of Class B teams in their region and they would struggle to compete regularly against Thompson, Devils Lake, and Grafton over the past 10-15 years. It's just a tough region.

I think it's too early in the reclassification to start moving teams around when we're still around the midway point of the first season.
kboftw
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls