Hoopster Rankings

Class A Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Hoopster Rankings

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:18 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
bk1990 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Yep Ryan is just like every other small town in North Dakota. Struggling to keep the lights on and to fill out a roster. Yes.. Ok they go to state every year and compete to a state title every year... just like every other small town in Class B. That just means that they are in the correct class. I am wrong.

IN NO WAY does Ryan look like a small town class B School.

Why makes them not look like a small town school? Please clarify. They are struggling to fill out a roster, on NDHSAA site, they have 3 eight graders on their roster, with a total of 16 players for grades 8-12. I'm assuming the 8thgraders are playing C/JV games. Looking at their schedule, they aren't playing A,B and C squad games, so just like other small schools in B, which they were placed due to their size, it appears they are just like other small town Class B schools

And their girls are 0-4; had 2 games last week vs. Class B opponents where they didn't crack 20 points...but we never look at the girls side of things when complaining about the 3 classes...this has always been fueled by BBB. Roster looks very similar on the girls side

So just to get it straight... the Boys program has great parents and kids that will put all the extra time in the gym and are dedicated but Ryan's parents for their girls programs as just lazy like all the other class B schools that get their butts kicked by Ryan in boys basketball???
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:34 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:
bk1990 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Yep Ryan is just like every other small town in North Dakota. Struggling to keep the lights on and to fill out a roster. Yes.. Ok they go to state every year and compete to a state title every year... just like every other small town in Class B. That just means that they are in the correct class. I am wrong.

Why makes them not look like a small town school? Please clarify. They are struggling to fill out a roster, on NDHSAA site, they have 3 eight graders on their roster, with a total of 16 players for grades 8-12. I'm assuming the 8thgraders are playing C/JV games. Looking at their schedule, they aren't playing A,B and C squad games, so just like other small schools in B, which they were placed due to their size, it appears they are just like other small town Class B schools

And their girls are 0-4; had 2 games last week vs. Class B opponents where they didn't crack 20 points...but we never look at the girls side of things when complaining about the 3 classes...this has always been fueled by BBB. Roster looks very similar on the girls side

So just to get it straight... the Boys program has great parents and kids that will put all the extra time in the gym and are dedicated but Ryan's parents for their girls programs as just lazy like all the other class B schools that get their butts kicked by Ryan in boys basketball???

Where did the talk about the parents come into this...I just stated that their girls program is struggling and YOU throw in comments about the schools' parents being lazy. You make no sense whatsoever...just go back to being the Kindred homer we know you are and stop trashing other schools.
Last edited by WalkingStick on Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:54 am

Well People have been defending Ryan by saying that they have been so good for so long because of the dedication of the kids and family's to become and stay that good. Saying it has nothing to do with them pulling kids from a very large population.... So I was just asking why the girls are bad then? Bad Parents and Bad Kids?
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby bk1990 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:32 am

maddog1971 wrote:Well People have been defending Ryan by saying that they have been so good for so long because of the dedication of the kids and family's to become and stay that good. Saying it has nothing to do with them pulling kids from a very large population.... So I was just asking why the girls are bad then? Bad Parents and Bad Kids?

Probably a waste of time to even try to understand where your logic comes from, but what the heck.
Yes, Bishop Ryan girls are 0-5, but look who they played. Two Class A teams, one is rated I think top 5 in A. Two Class B teams that were also rated top 5, then a close loss to another B team.
They look like they are having a down year, but wait and see how the district play unfolds. It wasn't to long ago they won 3 state girls championship, I thing most reasonable people would agree teams and success can and do go in cycles.
Also, the argument is getting a little old about pulling from a larger population and recruiting. I don't recall seeing any high school kids transferring in, and if they did, they have to sit out a year. As it has been said in the past, where is your proof?
Don't believe records are because of bad kids and bad parents, but I do believe in bad information and bad opinions that some consider fact
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby Thundersnow » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:51 am

maddog1971 wrote:Well People have been defending Ryan by saying that they have been so good for so long because of the dedication of the kids and family's to become and stay that good. Saying it has nothing to do with them pulling kids from a very large population.... So I was just asking why the girls are bad then? Bad Parents and Bad Kids?

I'll say it again: In my opinion, Minot Ryan belongs in Class A. Some teams have built-in advantages and others don't. It's part of sports. It's human nature to cheer for underdogs and cheer against the favorites. I have no affiliation with Ryan, and have never cheered for them in my life, but you maddog have turned me into a Bishop Ryan defender.

Your argument went out of bounds saying that any high school team is off to an 0-5 start because of "bad parents and bad kids." Teams (even with built-in advantages) go through cycles of ups-and-downs. Basketball is ultimately decided on the court and not on message boards. You may cheer against Ryan, but I think secretly you wish both their girls and boys programs would go undefeated and win state just to prove your argument correct.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:56 am

There was no asking...you made a direct statement calling parents and the girls' athletes lazy...and it was seen by several people as quite the low-blow.

I was stating that the low numbers and similar grades were on the girls side but that they have been struggling in recent years. I don't think anyone has denied the fact that they are within Minot and pull from a decent population but do realize that it costs $$ to go to a private school and not everyone can afford...and no, these schools don't just throw around $$ to have kids attend; their tuition pays for teachers and other important things. Since you've used OG as a talking point before - $12k to send you kid to school...you aren't going to get a lot of kids to just randomly come in anymore, for sports or any other reason...that's A LOT of $$.

bk1990 wrote:Probably a waste of time to even try to understand where your logic comes from, but what the heck.
...the argument is getting a little old about pulling from a larger population and recruiting. I don't recall seeing any high school kids transferring in, and if they did, they have to sit out a year. As it has been said in the past, where is your proof?

I don't know why I try anymore as well
...proof? you don't need that anymore...any where. People like this have started so many rumors that the general public gets a hold of (yes things from here get floated around...his previous post bashing the BR parents did).
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:29 am

maddog1971 wrote:
bk1990 wrote:

Ryan
1937, 1938, 1939, 1942, 1943, 1994, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022. and how many times have they been in the regional championship game to go to state....

yep... Every small town like Warwick... who has been there 3 times in school history.

This is the reason we needed the new class so Privates can not dominate class B basketball....
Shiloh
1996, 1998, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
DT
1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2021

My proof is in these numbers.... Class B Private schools are in the state tournament all the time. The numbers show that this is not a level playing field.
I am happy to see the new class but Ryan is still a problem. THEY ARE NOT A CLASS B School.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby leroybla » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:30 am

Without advocating for either side of this argument, I believe that private schools have distinct advantages over typical Class B schools in that parents can elect to send their children to private schools within their (large) cities. I believe that the alleged recruiting is done by parents (I've seen it) at an earlier age with the formation of traveling teams. I have not seen schools engage in this. kids in my town have elected to go to private schools in a large city, while kids in that same large city are not allowed to enroll in the school in my district. Quality coaching has a lot to do with successful programs wherever they are but parental involvement as noted above is enormous. My 2 cents.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RiverMiner99 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:14 am

leroybla wrote:Without advocating for either side of this argument, I believe that private schools have distinct advantages over typical Class B schools in that parents can elect to send their children to private schools within their (large) cities. I believe that the alleged recruiting is done by parents (I've seen it) at an earlier age with the formation of traveling teams. I have not seen schools engage in this. kids in my town have elected to go to private schools in a large city, while kids in that same large city are not allowed to enroll in the school in my district. Quality coaching has a lot to do with successful programs wherever they are but parental involvement as noted above is enormous. My 2 cents.

I'd be interested in knowing what school is not allowing kids to enroll in their school and what large city they are not allowing them to come from. I'd think the smaller schools would welcome kids from the larger cities as each student creates more funding from the state.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby bk1990 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:46 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:
leroybla wrote:Without advocating for either side of this argument, I believe that private schools have distinct advantages over typical Class B schools in that parents can elect to send their children to private schools within their (large) cities. I believe that the alleged recruiting is done by parents (I've seen it) at an earlier age with the formation of traveling teams. I have not seen schools engage in this. kids in my town have elected to go to private schools in a large city, while kids in that same large city are not allowed to enroll in the school in my district. Quality coaching has a lot to do with successful programs wherever they are but parental involvement as noted above is enormous. My 2 cents.

I'd be interested in knowing what school is not allowing kids to enroll in their school and what large city they are not allowing them to come from. I'd think the smaller schools would welcome kids from the larger cities as each student creates more funding from the state.

I would also like to know what large city? Is it because there is more than one public high school? Using Bismarck for example, they live in the Legacy district, want to go to Century but can't due to location of residence.
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Boys