I'll be that guy

The teams in 6 man

I'll be that guy

Postby heimer » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:55 am

6-man football is not football.

Ooh and ahh all you want over 107-84 or whatever the heck it was, that's not football.

That's us letting kids pretend they are actually playing football so the name of the town can be important to someone.

You want to fix this mess? Here's how:

Play the game 7-on-7 with 5 eligible receivers max.
Shrink the field to 50 by 30.
10-minute quarters.

Then, maybe, you have something resembling football.

Oh, I know we're all patting each other on the back at how star-spangled awesome North Dakota sports is with it's latest toy. Its' bull, and we all know it. Only some of us can admit it, and few of us will speak it in the open.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Re: I'll be that guy

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:08 pm

Yeah the scores have been a bit out of hand this season, but I think that's due to everything being relatively new. Teams will develop systems and get better defensively over time, but it will still be higher scoring than other football divisions. But I think it has its place in ND whether people think it's "real" football or not. It's still kids representing their high schools/towns and participating in a sport. You take that away from those teams that currently play and maybe 25% of those kids play in a coop with another larger school.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:59 pm

heimer wrote:That's us letting kids pretend they are actually playing football so the name of the town can be important to someone.

This must be stopped! Don't let anyone feel good about anything.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Thundersnow » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:07 pm

I guess I'll be the other guy and take heimer's bait. Six-man football is already being played in Texas (currently 262 teams), Florida, Alabama, Colorado, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oregon, Wyoming, parts of Canada, non-sanctioned in Idaho and will be coming back to South Dakota in the near future. North Dakota can't take any credit or blame for being the first state to consider this idea.

Have you ever watched a 6-man game in person or on TV? Have you researched any of the rules? Or are you labeling it a "mess" simply based off of the score of one game?

1. No other state plays 7-man football.
2. 6-man football is played on a field that's 80 by 40.
3. The quarters are already 10 minutes.

The "name of the town" happens to be important to some people, why is that a bad thing?
I don't know any concrete numbers, but ndlionsfan estimate of 25% is generous in my opinion. I could be wrong, but I don't think many kids were driving from Drayton to Grafton or from Mandaree to New Town to play football before those schools elected to field a 6-man team.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:34 pm

heimer wrote:6-man football is not football.

Ooh and ahh all you want over 107-84 or whatever the heck it was, that's not football.

That's us letting kids pretend they are actually playing football so the name of the town can be important to someone.

You want to fix this mess? Here's how:

Play the game 7-on-7 with 5 eligible receivers max.
Shrink the field to 50 by 30.
10-minute quarters.

Then, maybe, you have something resembling football.

Oh, I know we're all patting each other on the back at how star-spangled awesome North Dakota sports is with it's latest toy. Its' bull, and we all know it. Only some of us can admit it, and few of us will speak it in the open.

Stop it troll.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to 6 - Man