6 Man football in North Dakota

The teams in 6 man

6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby NDSportsFan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:50 am

We were asked to have a place for the 6 man fans to leave comments.
No problem. It's great to see these guys get a chance to play some competitive ball.

Feel free to leave comments, or start new topics as you see fit.

Thanks.
User avatar
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2115
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Fargo

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:31 am

Thank you! I'm hoping someone from these towns can give us updates, comments, and scores. The four teams involved this year are from Center, Mandaree, Grenora, and Alexander. The Gridiron had a nice article on the league. Sounds like each team will play each other twice and then play a couple Montana teams to complete the schedule before having the ND playoff. Any other teams that are thinking about moving to 6man in the upcoming year?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
User avatar
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3681
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Central ND

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby caserace0710 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:56 am

The two teams that I could see moving down to 6-man within the next year are Drake-Anamoose and Parshall/White Shield. Drake-Anamoose has already had to forfeit two games this year due to injuries and Parshall/WS plays Mandaree later in the season. Both teams only have 14 players on their roster or somewhere around there.

If 6-man gets going here in North Dakota, I could see some of these co-ops breaking up and some schools could field their own teams again.

ndlionsfan, did it happen to say what the name of the league was? I think that the Grenora team (aka MonDak Thunder) is their JV team as their Varsity plays a Montana schedule.
http://northdakotahsfootball.altervista.org
North Dakota High School Football historical information since 1975
caserace0710
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:32 am
Location: Valley City, ND

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:01 am

caserace0710 wrote:The two teams that I could see moving down to 6-man within the next year are Drake-Anamoose and Parshall/White Shield. Drake-Anamoose has already had to forfeit two games this year due to injuries and Parshall/WS plays Mandaree later in the season. Both teams only have 14 players on their roster or somewhere around there.

If 6-man gets going here in North Dakota, I could see some of these co-ops breaking up and some schools could field their own teams again.

ndlionsfan, did it happen to say what the name of the league was? I think that the Grenora team (aka MonDak Thunder) is their JV team as their Varsity plays a Montana schedule.


Midway-Minto could be another that looks to move to 6 man in the future...also have had issues with having enough players...maybe even Four Winds would consider. If it catches on up here...would there be any schools that would consider dissolving a coop to form two 6-man teams?
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14269
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Fargo

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:40 pm

I wonder how the NDHSAA will start sanctioning it, though. What will the enrollment cutoff end up being from 9man to 6man. I'm sure it will come at some time. These schools with decent sized enrollments but trouble with numbers probably aren't going to be allowed in 6man.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
User avatar
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3681
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Central ND

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby The Schwab » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Maybe the NDHSAA could start looking at past success instead of just their adjusted male enrollment number. I don't think that if you win state in 9 man you should be automatically bumped to A, but if you're on the threshold and you've lost 5 total games in 3 years and the team going to get bumped up has won 10 games in 6 years, maybe some common sense should be used. I would hope they could do the same with 9 man to 6 man. If a school doesn't have success in 9 man or has a very low participation rate they could give them the option of 6 man.
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby Flip » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:36 pm

I think we're years from sanctioning 6-man football.

My opinion: when/if it's ever sanctioned they'll let anyone play 6 man that wants too. The only schools I see wanting to play 6 man are the schools that are routinely getting less than 15 kids out. I can't see a school that gets 22 kids out wanting to play 6 man.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3691
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby heimer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:23 am

Just an opinion:

We will either see, in 2019:

Sanctioned 6 man

2 classes of 9 man

Exception to enrollment standard for host-satellite relationship in coops.

In the statewide surveys, for the first time, coaches, ads, and supers favored competition over geography. If that's the attitude, more schools will consider 6-man to keep the sport. They won't mind travelling to play a level they think they can compete at.

This will force a new thought process on classification. The NDHSAA will have to keep up. I don't think you want 20 schools playing a sport you sanction in a way you don't sanction it.

I'm not sure how it will finish. Personally, I'd favor 2 classes of 9 man with a ratio consideration for satellite schools in a coop. I think that's the most stable path forward.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:11 pm
Location: Rupert's Land

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby Flip » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:48 am

WRT to heimer's post, how many years was "Class A" baseball played before they sanctioned it?

I'd favor 2 classes of 9 man with a ratio consideration for satellite schools in a coop.

OK, what does this mean?
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3691
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby bagpiper » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:42 pm

You are correct about Grenora playing varsity 6-man in Montana. They co-op with Westby, Montana. Known as Mondak Thunder since 2012. They are ranked number 1 this year in Montana 6 man. They have been in the playoffs each year since 2012. Finished second twice. I am close to the program as I have 5 grandkids in Grenora. This is very exciting football to watch and not as high scoring as you would think.
bagpiper
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:21 am

I have never seen a 6 man FB game so I cannot speak to weather it is good, bad, etc.... In our area (south central ND) I have not heard a single coach or AD speak in favor of moving to 6 man. I have heard a number of coaches speak out against it (for a number of reasons). I would like to watch a 6 man game just to see for myself what it's like before I would make any comment on it.
Sportsrube
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:03 pm

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Here's a news story from August about 6 man in ND.

http://www.myndnow.com/news/bismarck-ne ... /789805969

There is also a video on youtube about Alexander and finally playing football again after 28 years. The story is from 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAf6_iTFnr4
User avatar
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2115
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Fargo

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby Flip » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Sportsrube wrote:I have never seen a 6 man FB game so I cannot speak to weather it is good, bad, etc.... In our area (south central ND) I have not heard a single coach or AD speak in favor of moving to 6 man. I have heard a number of coaches speak out against it (for a number of reasons). I would like to watch a 6 man game just to see for myself what it's like before I would make any comment on it.

what would the reasons be against it?
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3691
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:02 pm

The biggest reasons I have heard as to why the coaches are against it are "It's not real football", "if you don't have fast players you are screwed" and "our fans would never go for it". Remember, these aren't my words - I will refrain from making a judgement on 6 man FB until I can see a game for myself. I think the fact that we have some schools in this area that have a very strong history of success in FB (at 9 and 11 man levels) may also have a lot to do with it, especially the "our fans would never go for it" part.
Sportsrube
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:03 pm

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby nomogprhokee » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:47 am

Those who comment should research the history of 6 man football. My father played 6man in west central nd, and on to a brief college career. Once played throughout the plains northern Mexico to Saskatchewan. Still the rage of west Texas small oil towns and adjacent northern Mexico towns. I believe leagues in Ok still exist.
nomogprhokee
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:23 am

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby hockeynut » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:10 am

Didn’t know 6 man football existed in our state. Now I do
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:14 am

hockeynut wrote:Didn’t know 6 man football existed in our state. Now I do


Mandaree, Alexander & Center-Stanton are playing a 6-man schedule (playing some MT teams)...It may take some time but it may take hold for some of the smaller communities.
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14269
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Fargo

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby bingobangobongo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:33 am

This is pretty much anecdotal evidence, but I was visiting with a bunch (6 or 7) of guys this past weekend. They were all originally from small towns that have moved down from either 11-man to 9-man, or 9-man to 6-man, including myself. Every one of them, including myself, were excited at the idea of 6-man football and the possibility that it grows to the point where some of the 9-man co-ops may consider breaking up to form their own 6-man teams.

What do you realistically need for 6-man, about 15 boys to come out? Basically the high school basketball team?
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:52 am

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby d_fense » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:32 am

Flip wrote:WRT to heimer's post, how many years was "Class A" baseball played before they sanctioned it?

I'd favor 2 classes of 9 man with a ratio consideration for satellite schools in a coop.

OK, what does this mean?


I believe I know what Heimer was talking about. But Flip, what the heck does the "WRT" mean in your sentence, "WRT to heimer's post" mean?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:13 am
Location: Small town eastern ND

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:37 am

With reference too, maybe?
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby NDPREP » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:07 am

bingobangobongo wrote:This is pretty much anecdotal evidence, but I was visiting with a bunch (6 or 7) of guys this past weekend. They were all originally from small towns that have moved down from either 11-man to 9-man, or 9-man to 6-man, including myself. Every one of them, including myself, were excited at the idea of 6-man football and the possibility that it grows to the point where some of the 9-man co-ops may consider breaking up to form their own 6-man teams.

What do you realistically need for 6-man, about 15 boys to come out? Basically the high school basketball team?


Basically if you can support a basketball team in the winter you should be able to put a 6 man team together if you can get those same kids out. 15 kids would be a good number, there are plenty of 11 man A teams with 22-28 kids on their roster.
NDPREP
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:04 am

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby Flip » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:06 pm

with regards too
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3691
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby classB4ever » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:04 pm

Some questions regarding 6-man football to keep conversation going:

How many refs do a game?
Are there any special rules concerning punts and kickoffs vs. 9 & 11 man?
Are there any other special rules differentiating 6 man?
What are field dimensions?
classB4ever
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:20 pm

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:42 pm

classB4ever wrote:Some questions regarding 6-man football to keep conversation going:

How many refs do a game?
Are there any special rules concerning punts and kickoffs vs. 9 & 11 man?
Are there any other special rules differentiating 6 man?
What are field dimensions?


I know the field dimensions are smaller 40x80 I believe. One rule I thought was interesting is that the QB cannot cross the line of scrimmage unless the ball is pitched to him.

Don't know anything about the refs or kickoffs/punts
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
User avatar
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3681
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Central ND

Re: 6 Man football in North Dakota

Postby bingobangobongo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:48 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
classB4ever wrote:Some questions regarding 6-man football to keep conversation going:

How many refs do a game?
Are there any special rules concerning punts and kickoffs vs. 9 & 11 man?
Are there any other special rules differentiating 6 man?
What are field dimensions?


I know the field dimensions are smaller 40x80 I believe. One rule I thought was interesting is that the QB cannot cross the line of scrimmage unless the ball is pitched to him.

Don't know anything about the refs or kickoffs/punts


Good old rock-solid, reliable Wikipedia says: "Six-man is a fast-moving game played on an 80-yard-long by 40-yard-wide field. Furthermore, the game specifies a 15-yard distance from the line of scrimmage to gain a first down, instead of the normal 10 yards.

All six players are eligible to be receivers. On offense, three linemen are required on the line of scrimmage at the start of the play. The player to whom the ball is snapped cannot run the ball past the line of scrimmage; however, if the ball is tossed to another player, that player can run or throw the ball and the player to whom the ball was snapped is still an eligible receiver. All forward passes to the player who snapped the ball (center) must travel at least 1 yard in flight."
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:52 am

Next

Return to 6 - Man

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest