2021 6 man season

The teams in 6 man

2021 6 man season

Postby footballfan1 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:31 am

Who are the new teams? And how do you see it playing out this year?
footballfan1
NDPreps Rookie

Re: 2021 6 man season

Postby Region2FootballFan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:49 am

North Border Eagles are a new six man team. Made the quarterfinals last year in 9-man. I'm surprised they're making the move down but maybe it's the new trend.
Region2FootballFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:48 pm

Alexander moving up to 9man. I think I read Trinity Christian opted out of playing FB or cooped with another team.

How does D-A look for next year? I know they had a pretty big senior class compared to other teams, but are their overall numbers still strong for next season?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby footballfan1 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:32 am

I would like to see these small schools make a 6-man team instead of joining other schools. Give there kids a place to play at home school and some school pride.
footballfan1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:43 am

footballfan1 wrote:I would like to see these small schools make a 6-man team instead of joining other schools. Give there kids a place to play at home school and some school pride.

I agree completely. Especially with FB being a sport such a wide range of kids can participate in. I can see schools/teams that have low numbers in bball being just fine for fball and keeping more of these small towns/schools going. I think if NDHSAA would just take the plunge and sanction it the number of teams would double in that division.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby footballfan1 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:59 am

I totally agree if NDHSAA would sanction it. Teams would come quickly to it thats what is holding them back I think. They have had 10 in a divisions before why cant they with this?
footballfan1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:38 pm

footballfan1 wrote:I totally agree if NDHSAA would sanction it. Teams would come quickly to it thats what is holding them back I think. They have had 10 in a divisions before why cant they with this?

If they sanction it can teams just jump to 6-man?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:23 pm

Flip wrote:
footballfan1 wrote:I totally agree if NDHSAA would sanction it. Teams would come quickly to it thats what is holding them back I think. They have had 10 in a divisions before why cant they with this?

If they sanction it can teams just jump to 6-man?

I'm sure there would be some enrollment cutoff or a playoff weighting scenario to drop down just like they implemented with 9man for this next season.

If a team like Botno with 90 boys is able to play in a division with teams like Richland that only have 30 boys in their entire high school, how can they not figure something out for 6man? Even though Botno has struggled for years at 11man, I'm sure they can easily put more boys on the team than Richland even has available.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:31 pm

Region2FootballFan wrote:North Border Eagles are a new six man team. Made the quarterfinals last year in 9-man. I'm surprised they're making the move down but maybe it's the new trend.

NB should not be 6 man. They would be a great 9 man team.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:23 am

packers21 wrote:
Region2FootballFan wrote:North Border Eagles are a new six man team. Made the quarterfinals last year in 9-man. I'm surprised they're making the move down but maybe it's the new trend.

Roster shows 12 kids playing. Pretty tough to play 9man with those numbers. They may have a very good group of players, though, but can't hold the talent against them when the numbers don't lie.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:34 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Roster shows 12 kids playing. Pretty tough to play 9man with those numbers. They may have a very good group of players, though, but can't hold the talent against them when the numbers don't lie.

There is 18 kids in the team picture, rumor I heard was participation might have been impacted by the move down (fewer kids came out because of the move to 6 man) but don't know that for sure. Don't see many big kids in the picture so maybe linemen didn't come out because it's 6 man (just speculating). I would venture to bet this is a one year deal - I heard a ton of not happy community members in that area about the move down.
Last edited by defensewinsgames on Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:43 am

defensewinsgames wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
packers21 wrote:

There is 18 kids in the team picture, rumor I heard was participation might have been impacted by the move down (fewer kids came out because of the move to 9 man) but don't know that for sure. Don't see many big kids in the picture so maybe linemen didn't come out because it's 6 man (just speculating). I would venture to bet this is a one year deal - I heard a ton of not happy community members in that area about the move down.

Stay 9 this year compete for a Title and then look at moving next year to 6 if you need to.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:30 am

Agreed Packer. Their whole basketball team (one of the best in the state) plays and they won playoff games in 9 man last year - it isn't like they don't have athletes or can't compete. I really am not very happy about the run down in level this year where teams sprinted to move down ASAP in order to "compete". I kind of feel like this is maybe true of some Fargo and GF schools.....................well we all have decisions to make I suppose. Schools have to do what they think is best for them. It doesn't mean the rest of the state can't look down on them for it. Freedom to make decisions, not freedom from consequences. I feel as if the NDHSAA pandered to those schools and screwed the real class b schools by shoving Beulah, Kindred, HCV, Central Cass, etc. down there with them, not to mention the AA teams that now have to play South, North, Red River, Central, etc. As long as the big schools are happy though! Sorry rant over......
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:58 pm

I have seen a few highlights from some 6 man games and it looks to me like it is even more of a speed based game than 9 man is. Unfortunately, if you are big guy (lineman), the opportunity to play in a 6 man game is extremely limited based on the little video I have seen. I am not sold on the 6 man game based on the little I have seen of it.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:55 pm

North Border has its games on YouTube. I haven't watched a lot, but a formation with three linemen, a QB, and two RBs, is a common formation.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:07 am

Ya but look at those linemen and none of them are the 11 man tackle or even center build. The "linemen" are pulling guard types who need to be semi-quick and athletic. Not much space for the hogs in 6 man.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:47 pm

Flip wrote:
North Border has its games on YouTube. I haven't watched a lot, but a formation with three linemen, a QB, and two RBs, is a common formation.

After watching this, I will stand by my statement that there is not a lot room for a big guy in 6 man football. It is even more about speed than 9 man is. I am glad that some schools are playing 6 man and giving their kids an opportunity to play football, but it just isn't for me.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to 6 - Man