New Teams

The teams in 6 man

New Teams

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:23 am

Has anyone heard of any other schools looking at fielding 6man teams next year or in the near future?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: New Teams

Postby Class B » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:32 am

Looks like 6-man football for Midway-Minto is on the agenda at the next NDHSAA meeting.

https://ndhsaa.com/board-meeting-6-11-12-18
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:38 am

Class B wrote:Looks like 6-man football for Midway-Minto is on the agenda at the next NDHSAA meeting.

https://ndhsaa.com/board-meeting-6-11-12-18

Yes, I saw that and that's what got me wondering. If an eastern school is going that route there must be a few others looking at it since the other teams are in the far west.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:22 am

In the Midway letter it said other districts in the area were considering 6 man football. I wonder what schools. Maybe some in that GCC/Midkota/BCN area...I don't really know. Drayton, VE, St. Thomas???
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:01 pm

I could see quite a few schools that could be looking at this near future in Northeast Nd in the coming years. Lakota, Dakota prairie, NorthStar, Benson county, Drayton, Valley-Edinberg, Griggs county, Maybe like Hatton and Northwood going separate ways especially if some of these other schools switch because they would be close for getting games, Hope/page, Barnes county North, and there could be a few others if enrollments continue to decline and participation continues to drop. For the football purest this would be like being a traitor to football but I can see this happening because this will be different game based on speed and quickness not the physical game that football is now. I think football if it is going to survive long term now its going to have to change and become a less physical sport where your equipment does protect you and not head banging game it is now. If the sport doesn't change its going to die as a game because medical evidence is just mounting up that to many people are having serious medical problem developing from how the sport is played today. Its not just pro players having medical problem but young college players are showing symptoms of hitting going on in football and they haven't even started on high school kids yet. this is just my thoughts but what I see of six man football its more based on speed and movement like hockey and basketball reducing physical contact between players.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:42 am

I recently read an article that hinted at possibly two new teams in 6man next year. Has anyone heard any rumblings on what schools might be looking at it?
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby PizzaRoll » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:27 am

It wouldn't surprise me if Max went 6-man.
PizzaRoll
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:30 pm

PizzaRoll wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if Max went 6-man.

When was the last time Max was on its own for football?
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby chickenwings2008 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:19 pm

North Border will be moving to 6-Man in the 2021 season. Their school board just voted to make it official in June. Any other schools out there doing the same in 2021?
chickenwings2008
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:31 pm

chickenwings2008 wrote:North Border will be moving to 6-Man in the 2021 season. Their school board just voted to make it official in June. Any other schools out there doing the same in 2021?

That surprises me. Were their numbers that low? With two high schools and a decent enrollment you'd think they could make it in 9man. But glad to see more teams moving in this direction.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby chickenwings2008 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:46 pm

The numbers really drop off after this year for North Border. They project 15 kids total playing in 2021. Numbers could rebound in the future but the current 8th and 9th grade classes don’t have many boys. So, moving forward it will be tough for them to field teams. North Border is in the bottom 10 of enrollment with the 2021 projections from the NDHSAA. In the last 10 years the district enrollment has really shrunk. It wasn’t that long ago they were playing 11-Man.
chickenwings2008
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:20 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
chickenwings2008 wrote:North Border will be moving to 6-Man in the 2021 season. Their school board just voted to make it official in June. Any other schools out there doing the same in 2021?

That surprises me. Were their numbers that low? With two high schools and a decent enrollment you'd think they could make it in 9man. But glad to see more teams moving in this direction.

Any idea how many 6 man schools NDHSAA would need to sanction it?

I wonder how many other schools can hold on to 9 man. There are now three region 2 teams playing 6 man. Does anyone know what Drayton's mascot is?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:24 pm

Flip wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

Any idea how many 6 man schools NDHSAA would need to sanction it?

I wonder how many other schools can hold on to 9 man. There are now three region 2 teams playing 6 man. Does anyone know what Drayton's mascot is?

Drayton Bombers
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby chickenwings2008 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:24 pm

It will take 12 teams before NDHSAA would sanction 6-Man football.
chickenwings2008
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:55 am

chickenwings2008 wrote:It will take 12 teams before NDHSAA would sanction 6-Man football.

Anyone hear any more rumblings of teams moving to 6man now that practices have started? Any teams looking really low on numbers? Anyone heard what Max or Glen Ullin are planning?

I thought S-Z might eventually move to 6man, but guess they are going with Linton-HMB instead. I'm guessing geography played a role with that as they are pretty isolated from the other teams.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:47 pm

I wish more teams would look at this route of going to 6 man instead of giving up teams, cancelling seasons, playing JV schedules, and even some of these emergency unplanned co-ops. I know that geography and distance traveled to play along with a lack of knowledge about 6 man is a big barrier but I think it should become a more mainstream option for some of these schools with participation issues. For a town/team like Strasburg-Zeeland getting to keep your own team and play for your school and community would be a good thing. In this case getting to join a program like Linton was very attractive as well so I'm sure that played a part. If you look at two of the independent teams in Larimore (14 kids) and Four Winds (15 kids) moving to six man it would create a really nice region where Midway-Minto, Drayton, Larimore, and Four Winds could play reasonably distanced games that should be competitive. If S-Z would have went 6 man as well you would have ten teams in the state and could play a regional schedule with an East-West championship. Not sure what New Town and Standing Rock have for numbers but they are playing independent schedules too which would give you 12 teams.

I think we will continue to see more teams make this decision and I think it is a smart decision if distance traveled can be minimized. It becoming sanctioned, supported, and added to the Dakota Bowl would help a ton!
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:50 am

I saw on the next NDHSAA meeting, White Shield has requested to dissolve the coop with Parshall and have their own 6man team. Does anyone know if Parshall might do the same? It would be a shame to see that new field go unused. Has anyone heard of any other schools looking at going the 6man route due to having low numbers at the 9man level?
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Return to 6 - Man