2009 State Girls B Basketball

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2009 State Girls B Basketball

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:58 pm

A link to the G.F. Herald's story about the SR-Hazen Game.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/a ... id/109383/

I was at the game last night and it was one of the most exciting games I have seen a girls high school team play. I would pay money to watch SR play any day.

I don't know how anyone could pick Hazen to be a 30 point favorite over SR. I didn't see either team play in the regular season but during warm-ups I predicted it would be a very tight game. And it was just that.

A few things stand out in the article in the Herald.

“Shauna was dynamite,” Hazen first-year coach Leland Opp said. “We knew Shauna was a great player, but we had a lot of defensive breakdowns tonight. Give her credit, though.”

Maybe he should have said "Shauna is a great player and she broke down our defence tonight". That would be giving her credit. Not making it sound as if she dropped 44 on them because they had some defensive breakdowns.

“No question, our full-court pressure defense was the difference,” Leland Opp said. “I don’t think Standing Rock handled it as well as they had hoped to.”

Their press was a big deal but I would not say it was the difference. The first 2 minutes of the game it affected SR and also the last 2 minutes. I have to say that if Hazen would have pressed the entire game, SR would have been the 30 point winner that bigpoppakdog predicted. When Hazen called their first time out, I told my wife that the press was coming off. It did and Hazon was lucky they did.

I will disagree with coach Opp and say that the difference was not their press but the difference was that Hazen had so many second chance points. SR played a great zone. Hazen hit a few 3-pointers (#14) but I would have let her shoot the whole game. I was shocked that the ball reached the basket with her mechanics. Over all SR's zone was great. The bad thing was that all of Hazens shots were long and the zone was really taking away from SR's weak side rebounding position and Hazen cleaned up the garbage.

The officiating in the game was alright. I would not say it was the greatest. The tempo of the game was decided by the players and not the officials which was a plus. SR got away with a couple of double dribles down the stretch, in one possession I think. #33 for Hazen definately dished out more punishment than she received, yet she only had one foul and made around 10 free-throws. A few calls or no calls could have went either way. I thought a few of the fouls that sent her to the line could have been no calls (feet set and hands were straight up by the defence), she definately got some no calls going for a few rebounds that turned into points for Hazen.

It was a great game to watch and I am glad I was there.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby captain_caveman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Does anyone know where the individual stats for each of the games might be posted? I didn't see anything other than total points and a recap in the GF Herald online. Maybe the actual paper had indivual and team stats?
captain_caveman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:27 pm

bismarcktribune.com
bigpoppakdog

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:42 pm

In all reality the only call that went against Hankinson down the stretch was the ball that was tipped out of bounds and was called off of Cody Geffre when clearly at full speed and slow motion replay the ball was clearly off of the NR-S player
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:11 pm

GoodO'LBoy wrote:A link to the G.F. Herald's story about the SR-Hazen Game.

I was at the game last night and it was one of the most exciting games I have seen a girls high school team play. I would pay money to watch SR play any day.

I don't know how anyone could pick Hazen to be a 30 point favorite over SR. I didn't see either team play in the regular season but during warm-ups I predicted it would be a very tight game. And it was just that.

“Shauna was dynamite,” Hazen first-year coach Leland Opp said. “We knew Shauna was a great player, but we had a lot of defensive breakdowns tonight. Give her credit, though.”

Maybe he should have said "Shauna is a great player and she broke down our defence tonight". That would be giving her credit. Not making it sound as if she dropped 44 on them because they had some defensive breakdowns.

“No question, our full-court pressure defense was the difference,” Leland Opp said. “I don’t think Standing Rock handled it as well as they had hoped to.”

Their press was a big deal but I would not say it was the difference. The first 2 minutes of the game it affected SR and also the last 2 minutes. I have to say that if Hazen would have pressed the entire game, SR would have been the 30 point winner that bigpoppakdog predicted. When Hazen called their first time out, I told my wife that the press was coming off. It did and Hazon was lucky they did.

I will disagree with coach Opp and say that the difference was not their press but the difference was that Hazen had so many second chance points. SR played a great zone. Hazen hit a few 3-pointers (#14) but I would have let her shoot the whole game. I was shocked that the ball reached the basket with her mechanics. Over all SR's zone was great. The bad thing was that all of Hazens shots were long and the zone was really taking away from SR's weak side rebounding position and Hazen cleaned up the garbage.

The officiating in the game was alright. I would not say it was the greatest. The tempo of the game was decided by the players and not the officials which was a plus. SR got away with a couple of double dribles down the stretch, in one possession I think. #33 for Hazen definately dished out more punishment than she received, yet she only had one foul and made around 10 free-throws. A few calls or no calls could have went either way. I thought a few of the fouls that sent her to the line could have been no calls (feet set and hands were straight up by the defence), she definately got some no calls going for a few rebounds that turned into points for Hazen.

funny, they scored over 70 points on a team that played really good defense during the regular season. I agree, Shauna Long and the Warriors deserve more credit than "defensive breakdowns."
bigpoppakdog

Postby rock83 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:05 pm

You have to give shauna credit she was able to make the shots. But if Hazen was playing decent defense she wouldnt have gotten those shots. She didnt break down Hazens defense, they let her shoot. Hazen's defense and press is not good. I dont know but i've seen alot better run and jump presses from alot of teams this year.

bigpoppakdog wrote:

funny, they scored over 70 points on a team that played really good defense during the regular season. I agree, Shauna Long and the Warriors deserve more credit than "defensive breakdowns."
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby nativegolfer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:23 pm

I thought the baldheaded ref blew it at 6.5 seconds left when he called a foul on the SR player when it looked an awful look like a jump ball. It would have been SR ball at half court. Looked like he totally anticipated a foul and blew his whistle early.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:16 pm

nativegolfer wrote:

I thought the baldheaded ref blew it at 6.5 seconds left when he called a foul on the SR player when it looked an awful look like a jump ball. It would have been SR ball at half court. Looked like he totally anticipated a foul and blew his whistle early.

yeah it did look like a jump ball...but there was another SR girl down there with here arms all over the Hazen girl from behind.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:38 pm

Consolation Game #1:
Hankinson 72
Stanley 37

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby tingly » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:39 pm

captain_caveman wrote:Does anyone know where the individual stats for each of the games might be posted?
http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2009/03/06/news/sports/local/178583.prt
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:12 pm

rock83 wrote:You have to give shauna credit she was able to make the shots. But if Hazen was playing decent defense she wouldnt have gotten those shots. She didnt break down Hazens defense, they let her shoot. Hazen's defense and press is not good. I dont know but i've seen alot better run and jump presses from alot of teams this year.

bigpoppakdog wrote:

uh oh, rock83 at it again.
bigpoppakdog

Postby adriana » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:24 pm

hook wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
adriana wrote:FLPR and Kenmare had a good game. I was a little disappointed to see Kenmare throw the ball away so many times. I was also a little disappointed by the behavior of some of the FLPR players. Throwing their hands in the air and making a big deal about getting a foul is completely uneccesary. They've done it all season and it makes them look a little immature on the court. I mean seriously, you fouled her..you know you fouled her..you don't need to throw a fit about it. Either way, they won. Congrats.

I completely agree...I watched this during the regional tournament and the actions of the FLPR players really turned me off...a nice win for them however.

i was impressed with how the flpr girls kept there heads in the game. the refs were wistle happy from the get go and with erickson and mcmillan fouling out... they showed me that they are very mentaly tuff. as for there behavior... its nothing you dont see at every single boys basketball game... just because they are girls doesnt mean they cant show emotion! being ladylike doesnt win you a ball game! flpr is going to have to score some more points vs. hazen tonight... they looked tuff!

Showing emotion is one thing..throwing a little fit is another. :roll: The game last night may not have had the best reffing, but it's definitely not the first game I've seen the FLPR girls act like that.
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby toddjames » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:29 pm

If you want full complete boxes go to
http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/cate ... /5016.html
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby TheUnit » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:34 pm

Another blown call was when they called the hankinson girl for stepping out of bounds when she was clearly not out. Those two calls blew hankinsons very good chance at a state title.
TheUnit
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:57 pm

Kidder County really exploited the weaknesses of NRS. There were a couple starters who couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat and the talent of Eli Benz had to be obvious now to the whole state. I stated months ago how I feel she is one of the best all-around players around. Uh oh...my prediction and credibility continues to be in question as KC is now in the Championship game. Right Rock83? :lol:
bigpoppakdog

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:05 pm

TheUnit wrote:Another blown call was when they called the hankinson girl for stepping out of bounds when she was clearly not out. Those two calls blew hankinsons very good chance at a state title.

man, all a guy hears out of hankinson girls basketball is whining and complaining. Seems like its everyone elses fault but the players. Coaches, officials, school officials etc... The officiating hasn't been the best, but there have been many blown calls that every team could complain about. To say one call cost a state title is pathetic.
bigpoppakdog

Postby spoilers23 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:13 pm

HometownHigh wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote:little disappointed by the behavior of some of the FLPR players. Throwing their hands in the air and making a big deal about getting a foul is completely uneccesary. They've done it all season and it makes them look a little immature on the court. I mean seriously, you fouled her..you know you fouled her..you don't need to throw a fit about it. Either way, they won. Congrats.

I completely agree...I watched this during the regional tournament and the actions of the FLPR players really turned me off

The flyers have good luck, if they have nothing else. Two lucky finishes in a row. Will they make it three?

Well you know what they say, rather be lucky than good. Didn't your mother ever say to you 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?' They're high school athletes, yet you insist on taking away from their victories. Grow up.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls. More democratic.
spoilers23
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:08 pm

baseball wrote:2nd game....you wouldve saw the hype if Benz showed up. I promise tomorrow she doesnt go 1-14 or whatever she was. She did not play well today, but Sand did enough. I've been told by a few people that Stanley is likely the 8th best team in the tourney so it didnt suprise me that Steele could struggle a lil bit and still pull it out.

Yesterday Benz didnt show up. Today it took awhile for Sand to get there....Hoot now do you understand why there was hype for this team when both of them play well??
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:20 pm

FLPR is looking good. Would be looking great if they made a few more bunnies. I love their defense. They play very hard and passionate.

Hazen is looking awkward. Their guards are below average. They do not look comfortable with the ball in their hands at all. A couple of air-balls, which does not surprise me. They have terrible shot mechanics. Other than height, what do they have? Anyone......
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby TheUnit » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:40 pm

That one call did do it because there is no way that call went off of her hand and they scored the winning points off of that costly call. So yes the refs did blow that game for them they were horrible for just about every game i went to watch that night.
TheUnit
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:41 pm

the 2 games ive seen from Hazen i have no idea how they are undefeated and #1. terrible passing team, just lob it everywhere. FLPR is showing that any good defense will just run underneath them and pick them off.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:58 pm

TheUnit wrote:That one call did do it because there is no way that call went off of her hand and they scored the winning points off of that costly call. So yes the refs did blow that game for them they were horrible for just about every game i went to watch that night.

How about the other three travels that weren't called on hankinson, or the foul that wasn't called back in the first quarter or the drag of the pivot foot that wasn't called in the 2nd quarter or the over the back call that was missed on the hankinson player in the 3rd quarter? You catch my drift?
bigpoppakdog

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:03 pm

baseball wrote:the 2 games ive seen from Hazen i have no idea how they are undefeated and #1. terrible passing team, just lob it everywhere. FLPR is showing that any good defense will just run underneath them and pick them off.

I too, questioned how good they were. I figured a team that could handle their pressure and not give them easy layups off turnovers would be successful. The thing that really surprised me, is that I have seen them play and they play much better defense that what they've done in state. Not sure why??? They didn't really seem to be able to move today?

The discipline of KC will, in my prediction, put them over the top. The ragged style of play will be tough to impose on KC. FLPR players really whine a lot compared to other teams. I think you will see both Benz and Sand have a great game tomorrow. I had the opportunity to witness it earlier in the year when they destroyed a rival team in their region by 30 points.
bigpoppakdog

Postby Hoot12 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:42 am

Well, it hard to believe that some of you think FLPR is just lucky and are wondering if they can keep this up. They had suffocating defence against a good #3 Rank Hillsboro team to beat them in the regional championship game. They beat the #8 ranked (Kenmare) team that some were predicting to win it all and now they knocked of the #1 ranked (Hazen) team, and o'by the way they only have one loss on the year and that was to Hillsboro? So are they really that lucky?
Secondly, I do agree that they can go over board with their attitudes and emotions on the floor but sometimes emotion, passion and frustration in a game is not all bad. Emotions play a big part in high school sports and that is some of what make class B basketball what it is today.
If it is as bad as some people on this site are describing why was there not technical fouls called? There was a couple in the ealier game today but no one has commented on that yet and how unprofessional that was (ITS PART OF THE GAME)?

FLPR has done what it takes to win and they are a good team! Good lucky in the championship game.
Hoot12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby larrybird33 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:59 am

I'm going to repeat here what I've said elsewhere because I'm very passionate about this issue...

This is the year that the NDHSAA might cave in to all of those people saying that we have too much disparity in class B basketball between the big schools and the small schools. The 'B' girls this year have provided all kinds of evidence that this argument is a myth.

I hope you all recognize that our state championship game has come down to two small schools (Kidder County and F-L-PR). Kenmare's arguably the third best team in this tournament - they've had better showings than Hazen against F-L-PR and Standing Rock - and they're a small school, too. New Rockford-Sheyenne and Hankinson are in that conversation as well. Our top two schools and five of the top six are small schools that would be placed in the bottom division of a three class plan.

I've heard all kinds of emotional appeals for a three class plan, and we'll continue to hear more of the same. But when you look at the evidence, you'll see that our small schools can compete if we leave class B just the way it is.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls