2009 State Girls B Basketball

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2009 State Girls B Basketball

Postby gfhockey » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:38 pm

So calls favored Hankinson?

That kinda not cool. SR would have been like a cinderella team. And I bet Long will be wearing a Sioux or Bison jersey when she graduates.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby larrybird33 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:42 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:Great game. The Hazen bison girl caught the ball and simultaneously stepped out of bounds. The clock should not have started.

It was not simultaneous, not at all. She was in the air when she got a hand on the pass. She then landed out of bounds. Most, if not all of the 0.8 seconds should've ticked off.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:44 pm

larrybird33 wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote:Great game. The Hazen bison girl caught the ball and simultaneously stepped out of bounds. The clock should not have started.

It was not simultaneous, not at all. She was in the air when she got a hand on the pass. She then landed out of bounds. Most, if not all of the 0.8 seconds should've ticked off.

I thought that was a good call there might have been 0.01 ticks left cant score with that though.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:46 pm

larrybird33 wrote:

she caught the ball, one foot landed in bounds, then step out of bounds.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby gfhockey » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:49 pm

I got it on DVR and clearly she landed out of bounce (one foot did)
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Saucesauer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:57 pm

gfhockey wrote:I got it on DVR and clearly she landed out of bounce (one foot did)

Wasn't the first foot inbounds? or is it like football and have to have both feet inbounds?
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:04 pm

If you run the play at full speed and actually count from when she touches the ball "one-thousand and one" without the "one" you could not do it. When that play is run at full speed she catches the ball on her left foot, and then virtually simultaneously steps out of bounds with her right foot. No way you can even count "one-thousand" on that play. Eight tenths of a seconds is a lot longer for somebody to catch the ball and land out of bounds. I would even argue that you should get more than eight tenths of a second due to the split hesitation between when the ball is definitely touched and the time it takes for the clock keeper to hit the button. How much time? I would say at least for one more shot attempt. It was a great game and I had predicted hazen to win, but it was a little bit of a shame the way it ended. Seemed like the clock keeper was quick on the button on that one.

As far as one foot landing and then other, does it take a person almost a second to land on both feet flying towards the sidelines? I would like to see someone pull that off.
bigpoppakdog

Postby imperials » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:38 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:If you run the play at full speed and actually count from when she touches the ball "one-thousand and one" without the "one" you could not do it. When that play is run at full speed she catches the ball on her left foot, and then virtually simultaneously steps out of bounds with her right foot. No way you can even count "one-thousand" on that play. Eight tenths of a seconds is a lot longer for somebody to catch the ball and land out of bounds. I would even argue that you should get more than eight tenths of a second due to the split hesitation between when the ball is definitely touched and the time it takes for the clock keeper to hit the button. How much time? I would say at least for one more shot attempt. It was a great game and I had predicted hazen to win, but it was a little bit of a shame the way it ended. Seemed like the clock keeper was quick on the button on that one.

As far as one foot landing and then other, does it take a person almost a second to land on both feet flying towards the sidelines? I would like to see someone pull that off.

where the final play happened it is a bad spot for a scorekeeper to see if she came in bounds or out of bounds, if you start the clock and cant see you wait for a whistle, if that happens it doesnt take long for .08 too run off the clock
imperials
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby toddjames » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:43 pm

Great game, weak ending... I would have liked to see Long at least get the shot off, if she did i think Standing Rock would be in the semis... I thought coming in that SR was going to lose by at least 10... this team is going to be a title contender the next two years if it stays together...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby tingly » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:41 am

Clock operators start the clock when the ref chops his hand and stop it on the whistle. They can start it right on the chop. For the stop, there is a delay for the ref's reaction time to the play and another delay for the clock operator's reaction time to the whistle which should make it about impossible to do anything but run off 0.8.

If there's even 0.1 left, they shouldn't let it go as there can be a foul before the inbounds pass, the inbounder can travel, bench clearing brawl with technicals, etc.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby adriana » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:49 am

FLPR and Kenmare had a good game. I was a little disappointed to see Kenmare throw the ball away so many times. I was also a little disappointed by the behavior of some of the FLPR players. Throwing their hands in the air and making a big deal about getting a foul is completely uneccesary. They've done it all season and it makes them look a little immature on the court. I mean seriously, you fouled her..you know you fouled her..you don't need to throw a fit about it. Either way, they won. Congrats.
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hoot12 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:56 am

Geat games all day!

1st game- both teams played well, but the press at the end killed Hankinson but both of these teams were great to watch
2nd game- not sure what all of the hype is about with either of these two team unless the were both having bad games??
3rd game-probably the title game. It was the Shuna Long show-hustle, passing behind the back on a fast break, and unbelievable outside shooting! But then when you look up at the score board Hazen either tied it up or went ahead. They did live up to their rating of #1.
4th game-ragged but then again I picked FLPR so I am happy :)
Hoot12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:19 am

2nd game....you wouldve saw the hype if Benz showed up. I promise tomorrow she doesnt go 1-14 or whatever she was. She did not play well today, but Sand did enough. I've been told by a few people that Stanley is likely the 8th best team in the tourney so it didnt suprise me that Steele could struggle a lil bit and still pull it out.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby larrybird33 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:39 am

It sounds like we're in agreement that at least some time should've run off the clock (from 0.8 seconds). The pros need at least 0.3 to catch and shoot, and a high school girl, even one as good as Long, would need more than that.

We're also dealing with the human element with our timekeeper, and I think it'd be very difficult for anyone to see that play and react to it in under 0.8 seconds. You'd start the clock as soon as it touched the defender's hand, and the time would run out unless you had a crystal clear view of the foot landing out of bounds.

The refs don't have the authority or the means to guess how much time (if any) should've been left on the clock.

This situation didn't cost Standing Rock the game and it was handled appropriately, in my opinion.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:11 am

larrybird33 wrote:It sounds like we're in agreement that at least some time should've run off the clock (from 0.8 seconds). The pros need at least 0.3 to catch and shoot, and a high school girl, even one as good as Long, would need more than that.

We're also dealing with the human element with our timekeeper, and I think it'd be very difficult for anyone to see that play and react to it in under 0.8 seconds. You'd start the clock as soon as it touched the defender's hand, and the time would run out unless you had a crystal clear view of the foot landing out of bounds.

The refs don't have the authority or the means to guess how much time (if any) should've been left on the clock.

This situation didn't cost Standing Rock the game and it was handled appropriately, in my opinion.

It didn't cost them the game, I agree. But, as one other person cited, the clockkeeper goes by the refs hand signal to start and stop the clock. It was .8 which is getting close to a full second. I have to see the replay to see if the clock did indeed start on the refs hand signal. Maybe I shouldn't call out the clock keeper as the only one at fault here. The officials also, paused and looked a little bit confused at the end and it appeared they just decided to let it go. I would like the person who got it on dvr to post it to youtube to get a clear view. Again, I am not upset or want to start anything with this, it's just for curiosity sake. I think there was clearly enough time for standing rock to get another shot attempt.

But hey, probably the best girls b opening round games ever. Awesome to watch.
bigpoppakdog

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:14 am

I didn't think any time should have been left of the clock. She touched the ball in the air, then one foot came down in bounds and the second foot on the line. The clock starts when the ball is touched, not when the feet come down.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:54 am

adriana wrote:FLPR and Kenmare had a good game. I was a little disappointed to see Kenmare throw the ball away so many times. I was also a little disappointed by the behavior of some of the FLPR players. Throwing their hands in the air and making a big deal about getting a foul is completely uneccesary. They've done it all season and it makes them look a little immature on the court. I mean seriously, you fouled her..you know you fouled her..you don't need to throw a fit about it. Either way, they won. Congrats.

I completely agree...I watched this during the regional tournament and the actions of the FLPR players really turned me off...a nice win for them however.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby hook » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:25 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
adriana wrote:FLPR and Kenmare had a good game. I was a little disappointed to see Kenmare throw the ball away so many times. I was also a little disappointed by the behavior of some of the FLPR players. Throwing their hands in the air and making a big deal about getting a foul is completely uneccesary. They've done it all season and it makes them look a little immature on the court. I mean seriously, you fouled her..you know you fouled her..you don't need to throw a fit about it. Either way, they won. Congrats.

I completely agree...I watched this during the regional tournament and the actions of the FLPR players really turned me off...a nice win for them however.

i was impressed with how the flpr girls kept there heads in the game. the refs were wistle happy from the get go and with erickson and mcmillan fouling out... they showed me that they are very mentaly tuff. as for there behavior... its nothing you dont see at every single boys basketball game... just because they are girls doesnt mean they cant show emotion! being ladylike doesnt win you a ball game! flpr is going to have to score some more points vs. hazen tonight... they looked tuff!
hook
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:36 am

hook wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

i was impressed with how the flpr girls kept there heads in the game. the refs were wistle happy from the get go and with erickson and mcmillan fouling out... they showed me that they are very mentaly tuff. as for there behavior... its nothing you dont see at every single boys basketball game... just because they are girls doesnt mean they cant show emotion! being ladylike doesnt win you a ball game! flpr is going to have to score some more points vs. hazen tonight... they looked tuff!

the kenmare flpr game was the worst officiated game of the night. Hard to watch when every 15 seconds a foul was called. Kenmare girl would fall on the floor without any contact and a foul was called. Too bad when officials want to be part of the show. They called too many fouls both ways.
bigpoppakdog

Postby TheUnit » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:09 am

[quote="gfhockey"]So calls favored Hankinson?

The last minute of that game the calls favored NR-S it was pretty clear to see that
TheUnit
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sportsfan10 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:14 pm

TheUnit wrote:
gfhockey wrote:So calls favored Hankinson?

The last minute of that game the calls favored NR-S it was pretty clear to see that

yeah and the first 31 minutes of that game the calls favored hankinson a lot. not the best reffed game i would say for both teams.

but a great slate of games today, what's your guys opinion on them?
consolation
Hankinson vs. Stanley
Standing Rock vs. Kenmere

semifinals
New Rockford-Sheyenne vs. Kidder County (should be a great game to watch)
Hazen vs. Fordville-Lankin-Park River
sportsfan10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby eastwood99 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:30 pm

Shaunna Long really impressed me! I didnt think she was serious when she threw the behind the back pass, but then it connected with her teammate and my friends and i all jumped out of our seats and yelled! :D I havent gotten that excited for a girls basketball game in years. Shaunna Long has got to be a sure fire All-State selection if she played like that all year! :shock:
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan_05 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:45 pm

eastwood99 wrote:Shaunna Long really impressed me! I didnt think she was serious when she threw the behind the back pass, but then it connected with her teammate and my friends and i all jumped out of our seats and yelled! :D I havent gotten that excited for a girls basketball game in years. Shaunna Long has got to be a sure fire All-State selection if she played like that all year! :shock:

By the sounds of it, it must have been quite a game to watch. Any predictions for tonights games?

I'll take NRS in a close one, I think this game could go either way.
FLPR in the second game, just as a guess as I was unable to watch the night bracket last night.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby HometownHigh » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:52 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:little disappointed by the behavior of some of the FLPR players. Throwing their hands in the air and making a big deal about getting a foul is completely uneccesary. They've done it all season and it makes them look a little immature on the court. I mean seriously, you fouled her..you know you fouled her..you don't need to throw a fit about it. Either way, they won. Congrats.

I completely agree...I watched this during the regional tournament and the actions of the FLPR players really turned me off

The flyers have good luck, if they have nothing else. Two lucky finishes in a row. Will they make it three?
HometownHigh
NDPreps Starter

Postby tingly » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:55 pm

There were a lot of nerves in the 4 games, and shooting suffered from not having a wall right behind the rim like most gyms. Whoever can make the adjustments will have a nice plus on their side.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Girls