2009 State Girls B Basketball

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2009 State Girls B Basketball

Postby basketball » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:17 am

larrybird33 wrote:I'm going to repeat here what I've said elsewhere because I'm very passionate about this issue...

This is the year that the NDHSAA might cave in to all of those people saying that we have too much disparity in class B basketball between the big schools and the small schools. The 'B' girls this year have provided all kinds of evidence that this argument is a myth.

I hope you all recognize that our state championship game has come down to two small schools (Kidder County and F-L-PR). Kenmare's arguably the third best team in this tournament - they've had better showings than Hazen against F-L-PR and Standing Rock - and they're a small school, too. New Rockford-Sheyenne and Hankinson are in that conversation as well. Our top two schools and five of the top six are small schools that would be placed in the bottom division of a three class plan.

I've heard all kinds of emotional appeals for a three class plan, and we'll continue to hear more of the same. But when you look at the evidence, you'll see that our small schools can compete if we leave class B just the way it is.

I don't think I would consider Park River to be a small school. I don't know how many students they have but I still think with the co-op with F-L, would actually give them a total enrollment to play in the A division. And I agree FLPR players and fans have some major ATTITUDES going on
basketball
NDPreps Starter

Postby larrybird33 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:22 am

Fair enough. The NDHSAA plan lists some schools separately that may co-op for girls only. Park River alone would be a bottom-tier school in the 3 class system. The Fordville-Lankin numbers would push them over the top to be a middle-tier school.

I stand by my point that we've seen plenty of small school success in class B girls basketball this year.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby sport » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:25 am

Hoot12 wrote:Well, it hard to believe that some of you think FLPR is just lucky and are wondering if they can keep this up. They had suffocating defence against a good #3 Rank Hillsboro team to beat them in the regional championship game. They beat the #8 ranked (Kenmare) team that some were predicting to win it all and now they knocked of the #1 ranked (Hazen) team, and o'by the way they only have one loss on the year and that was to Hillsboro? So are they really that lucky?
Secondly, I do agree that they can go over board with their attitudes and emotions on the floor but sometimes emotion, passion and frustration in a game is not all bad. Emotions play a big part in high school sports and that is some of what make class B basketball what it is today.
If it is as bad as some people on this site are describing why was there not technical fouls called? There was a couple in the ealier game today but no one has commented on that yet and how unprofessional that was (ITS PART OF THE GAME)?

FLPR has done what it takes to win and they are a good team! Good lucky in the championship game.

I for one love FLPR style of play, I think they have accepted their nickname from the media, (RAGGED). They play like they are in the zone, and have so much confidence, and they do all the little things that make them a step above everyone else. I have watched kidder county play the last two days and they are a good team, but they are going to have to play better ball to beat FLPR. I don't think you are going to beat FLPR with only two main scoring threats. In my eyes the state B was played at the Betty when FLPR beat Hillsboro. As far as FLPR actions on the court, I guess I would like them to tone the rolling eyes down a little. I think a lot of young kids have fallen in love with their style of basketball and I think this sends the wrong message to the kids coming up, at least when they have made an obvious foul, there is just no need for it. Maybe I am a little old fashion.
sport
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:37 am

EDITED OUT A PREVIOUS POST - MOD

you can tell just by the style of play they use that FLPR will be emotional. combine that with the fact that its the state tournament and emotions will be taken up a notch.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Milkman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:47 am

I have not seen FLPR play so I cannot say one way or the other about their conduct on the court. The one thing I will say is that "getting emotional" is never an excuse for poor coduct by any player on any team. Basketball games do get emotional ESPECIALLY at this level(state tournament) But I am strongly apposed to negative behavior towards officials by players. There are ways to handle what a player or coach may think is a bad call. I just don't like seeing the excuse of emotion.
Let’s go cut down some nets boys.

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:10 am

im not saying emotion excuses bad conduct, but i think poeple are over exaggerating how bad it is. and im saying they are mistaking emotion for bad attitude...see the difference? if not your probably one of the guys who think refs never make a mistake and that everytime the whistle blows each player should go give the ref a high five for making a good call. what do you guys think of Ralston's attitude? probably has a bad one, but what i saw with her tonight was the most passionate player on any of the 4 teams to play tonight. that big first pump after the offensive rebound tehn and one was uncalled for.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Milkman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:06 am

I am not making any judgements on any player. Refs make mistakes but there are ways to handle it. Not only does handling a bad call(or missed call) correctly send a good message it helps your team. Ive seen plenty of teams dig themselves in a hole or become too emotional and hurt their cause instead of helping it. Once again not saying FLPR is doing this so don't go puttin words in my mouth.

I like seeing teams play with heart and passion. This is what I miss most about highschool basketball, playing wiht a group of people who are emotionally invested in the game. And if FLPR is playing with a high level of heart and passion then thats great.
Let’s go cut down some nets boys.

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:38 am

basketball wrote:
larrybird33 wrote:I'm going to repeat here what I've said elsewhere because I'm very passionate about this issue...

This is the year that the NDHSAA might cave in to all of those people saying that we have too much disparity in class B basketball between the big schools and the small schools. The 'B' girls this year have provided all kinds of evidence that this argument is a myth.

I hope you all recognize that our state championship game has come down to two small schools (Kidder County and F-L-PR). Kenmare's arguably the third best team in this tournament - they've had better showings than Hazen against F-L-PR and Standing Rock - and they're a small school, too. New Rockford-Sheyenne and Hankinson are in that conversation as well. Our top two schools and five of the top six are small schools that would be placed in the bottom division of a three class plan.

I've heard all kinds of emotional appeals for a three class plan, and we'll continue to hear more of the same. But when you look at the evidence, you'll see that our small schools can compete if we leave class B just the way it is.

I don't think I would consider Park River to be a small school. I don't know how many students they have but I still think with the co-op with F-L, would actually give them a total enrollment to play in the A division. And I agree FLPR players and fans have some major ATTITUDES going on

All things considered, how many players from Park River are even on the roster or even play? This is a Fordville-Lankin team primarily and the reason that they are still the Flyers and use red and blue as their colors. Park River didnt even have enough players to field a starting 5 let alone a team so they were basically absorbed into the FL program. So basically this team is made up of an enrollment of about 40-50.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:47 pm

Why are we even discussing school enrollment? There is a different forum for the 3 class system.

How about discussing FLPR vs Kidder County? Predictions? Strategy?

KC limits their turnovers I believe they will win. If FLPR gets the game into that "ragged" style they have a chance. If Sand gets in foul trouble again they have a shot at winning it. KC is the most disciplined patient team at the tournament and if they don't get sucked into that sloppy type game, they could maintain a ten point cushion throughout the game.

KC 53
FLPR 39
bigpoppakdog

Postby bballfan_05 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:54 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:Why are we even discussing school enrollment? There is a different forum for the 3 class system.

How about discussing FLPR vs Kidder County? Predictions? Strategy?

KC limits their turnovers I believe they will win. If FLPR gets the game into that "ragged" style they have a chance. If Sand gets in foul trouble again they have a shot at winning it. KC is the most disciplined patient team at the tournament and if they don't get sucked into that sloppy type game, they could maintain a ten point cushion throughout the game.

KC 53
FLPR 39

I think it will be a good game, depending on which team is able to control the nerves while being able to excute early. After watching the first two games, if both Sand and Benz show up, it could make for a long night for FLPR. However, this is sports and nothing is guaranteed. If FLPR is able to force turnovers and get KC out of their style of play, I think they take the crown. 45-41 for a score and I could see the game goign either way so I'll leave it for the better minds to predict.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:59 pm

Ralston has taken some heat for her "attitude" but I really like the passion that she plays with. What wrong with getting a little excited after making a great play? Thats what I like about volleyball...its the only sport where you can celebrate after every play and never be criticized for it.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:04 pm

Baller wrote:Ralston has taken some heat for her "attitude" but I really like the passion that she plays with. What wrong with getting a little excited after making a great play? Thats what I like about volleyball...its the only sport where you can celebrate after every play and never be criticized for it.

glad someone agrees with me haha...you can show passion an emotion with a good attitude.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby adriana » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Baller wrote:Ralston has taken some heat for her "attitude" but I really like the passion that she plays with. What wrong with getting a little excited after making a great play? Thats what I like about volleyball...its the only sport where you can celebrate after every play and never be criticized for it.

THere's nothing wrong with getting excited after a great play. There is something wrong with rolling your eyes and throwing your hands in the air or slapping them on the floor when you get called for a foul...all of which have been done just in this tournament. The attitudes were just as bad during regionals and in the regular season. Ralston is an outstanding player and she's fun to watch, and she's not the only FLPR player who acts like that.
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:57 pm

I dont have a problem with rolling your eyes or shaking your head when you dont agree with a call. As long as you keep your mouth shut, what is wrong with it?
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:03 pm

Ok slapping the floor when you get called for a foul isn't bad at all. I hate when people think thats disrespectful or whatever you call it. You're frustrated you got called for a foul so you slap the floor. You're not showing up the refs or anything you're just mad at yourself for getting the foul.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hoot12 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:00 pm

FLPR needs to set the tempo and not fall behind is the key. The closer the game is and more pressure present the better for them. Their shooting has to improve over last night or they will lose by 10 or more.

Kitter County - can not get sucked in to a fast paced game. They do not have a big bench so they have to stay out of foul trouble and make their free throws, if they fall short on any of these three points they will be in trouble early and will lose by 10 or more.

I don't see this game being close at the end rather it will be decide early on either way.
Hoot12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tingly » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:25 pm

KC was behind by 12-2 quickly when they lost tempo yesterday. If it happens again, it'll take awhile to catch up in a slow tempoed game.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:53 pm

What time is the champ game?
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan_05 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:00 pm

Saucesauer wrote:What time is the champ game?

I'd say anytime after 7:30ish
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby sport » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:50 pm

Baller wrote:I dont have a problem with rolling your eyes or shaking your head when you dont agree with a call. As long as you keep your mouth shut, what is wrong with it?

I have no problem with this at all, except when it is an obvious call. I see no need for it when you just got done running over your opponent, or when you still have their arm in your hand. :)
sport
NDPreps Starter

Postby tingly » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:53 pm

KVLY-11 is selling DVD's of the 8 televised games, $25 a pop.
http://www.valleynewslive.tv/tournaments/dvd_form.pdf
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hoot12 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:44 pm

Kitter Co. played their game, they set the pace, made their free throws, handle the pressure very well when they were behind and didn't get into foul trouble. Benz has a geat game and shot very well.
FLPR missed alot of easy bunny's and didn't see the tempo.

45-45 Kitter Co. Congrats to both team for a well played tournment!
Hoot12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tingly » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:25 am

I was glad to see neither team racked up a ton of turnovers like some of the other games. Ugly title games aren't so much fun.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:31 am

After watching FLPR for the 3rd time, I was more than happy to see them lose based on their "passion" for the game. I would say 90% of the calls that were made against them they rolled theirs eyes, shook their head, flung their hands up in the air as they looked at the refs and then the coach. I can think of a lot of players who played with "passion" and did not do those things. What's wrong with it? I guess if you are FLPR fan, nothing. But, don't be surprised if a call doesn't go your way because the officials are sick and tired of the attitudes, and it doesn't make you look good in the eyes of others. But, some teams don't really care about that either, they would rather win a state title than a sportsmanship award. Again, nothing really wrong with the "passion." But I think the state champs who also did it with class is something everyone can be proud of. Congratulations KC. I knew you could do it since December.
bigpoppakdog

Postby 07ndgolfer » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:51 am

There's a fine line between playin with passion and making yourself look ridiculous... i've seen 5 year olds act more mature then a few of the flpr players
07ndgolfer
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Girls