2009 State Girls B Basketball

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2009 State Girls B Basketball

Postby philshometown » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:54 pm

region1-Hankinson Pirates
region2- FLPR Flyers
region 3-Kidder Co (Steele) Pirates
region4- New Rockford Rockets
region5-Standing Rock Warriors
region6 - Kenmare Honkers
region7 - Hazen Bison
region8-Stanley Blue Jays

Thursday March 5 - Grand Forks

Hankinson vs New Rockford-Sheyenne
Kidder County - Steele vs Stanley
Standing Rock vs Hazen
Fordville-Lankin-Park River vs Kenmare
Last edited by philshometown on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
In basketball -- as in life -- true joy comes from being fully present in each and every moment, not just when things are going your way.

PHIL JACKSON, Sacred Hoops
philshometown
NDPreps Starter

Re: 2009 State Girls B Basketball

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:42 pm

I'm going to go with Kidder County by 30 over Stanley.
Hazen by 30 over Standing Rock.

I might as well make my prediction now. Kidder County wins it all.

Not sure about the others. Would be complete guesses.
bigpoppakdog

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:12 pm

My prediction is that Kenmare is going to take it this year. Having to overcome Botno in their region makes them the favorite in my eyes. They'll ride that momemtum all the way through the tourney.

I see a NRS/Kidder Co rematch in the semis, which should be a very interesting game. KC handed NRS their only loss of the season.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ProudPirate » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Better not count out Hankinson just yet. They are 8 deep without losing a beat, six of those 8 started some point during last year. They finished last year a couple of points short of a state championship game. They have balanced scoring and showed what their defense is capable of doing last night at the Region 1 finals. Yes a new coach, but it's the same girls.
Their 3 losses were
1.Fairmount by 2 the 2nd game of the season. :evil:
2.Minnetonka, MN by 5, a Class 4A School in Minneapolis, the 4th game
3. Sisseton, SD by 5 in overtime, a Class A school currently rated in the top 10 in SD
Yes I may have a biased opinion, but if these girls come ready to play they will make a run for the title. Good luck to all the teams.
ProudPirate
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:23 pm

That's ok. Gives us a thing to go on, especially when a guy has not idea about them.

I guess anybody that has beaten bott. twice has to be given some respect. I just haven't seen them play.

I know Hazen is tall across the floor. And play the best run and jump full court man to man defense I've seen in a girls team for quite some time. What makes them tough on d is that they are tall and can run. I mean, when you look at them you can tell they are basketball players. Offensively, I still think they generate a lot of offensive opportunities from their full court defense. Not convinced they have enough firepower to beat a team who can handle the full court pressure.

Kidder County, well look at my other posts. Although not in their region, I have seen them play and was floored by their play. Great floor general in Sand, I like the "blue chip" description someone else gave Benz, she can do so much for a post. Great role players that play defense and can score if needed. My only concern with them is if sand and/or benz gets shut down do they have enough true offensive threats to pick up the slack? Not sure on that one. But, take away a bad half and you would be looking at an undefeated team with wins over NRS and Carrington.

Standing Rock has two good players, but came out of a very weak region. I think the opening round you might see the deer in headlights and it will be over quickly. Long is a great point guard, but is short and she will have to definitely get the shot going early. White bull looked good, but again, the competition level will be drastically different and it will be interesting to see if she can generate the same type of points against the top teams. I think it will be too difficult for them to overcome the big gap that exists between these two and their teammates. Hazen's pressure defense could create 25-30 turnovers.

That's about all I got, hopefully some more insight from other regions will start filtering in.
bigpoppakdog

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:59 am

First round picks:
Hankinson
Kidder County-Steele
Hazen
Kenmare

Hankinson has done a great job this season. They pushed themselves with a tough schedule all season, and came out of Region 1 beating a very strong Central Cass team. Hankinson will be the State Champs.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:16 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:First round picks:
Hankinson
Kidder County-Steele
Hazen
Kenmare

Hankinson has done a great job this season. They pushed themselves with a tough schedule all season, and came out of Region 1 beating a very strong Central Cass team. Hankinson will be the State Champs.

If they learn to shoot FTs better than yes they could be...but because of their lack of FT shooting, they nearly didn't make it to the Reigon Championship game. They shot a horrendous 7 for 25 (5 for 22 in the 2nd half) of the Semi-Final matchup against Northern Cass...which helped Northern Cass overcome a 15 point deficit to close within 2 points in the closing seconds! Yes, I know Hankinson preveiled; but it was TOO close!
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:09 pm

Where's love for Reg. 4 >?
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State

Postby rocketsphotoguy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:12 pm

ndsportsfan14 wrote:Where's love for Reg. 4 >?

BLATANT HOMER ALERT: I think New Rockford-Sheyenne could give teams here a run for their money too. They have a better-than-average guard tandem in Shelby Wetzel and Bobbi Grann (with foot speed to rival most of the quickest players in the state,) an undersized but tough-as-nails power forward in Justene Engels who can create her own shot and is usually good from 6-8 feet inside, and a post player in Ashley Lommen that, while a bit slower on the foot speed scale, is a very good shooter and teams will pay for playing off her just a few feet. They play an aggressive, trapping full court defense, which can lead to fast breaks and transition points. Also, this being their first-ever appearance at the state tournament (the first for any girls' team sport at NR-S, even,) they will play very fast and loose, like they have nothing to lose.

I think Hankinson will be a very tough first-round opponent with the Geffre girls and Courtney Titus leading the way. (You have to respect any program that would schedule a game with the likes of Minnetonka, MN and take them to the brink of defeat...) However, my title game prediction will be Kidder County vs. Kenmare. I almost said Hazen for the second team, but I don't know how strong Region 7 was, and you have to give instant credibility and respect to anyone who knocks off girls' basketball immortality (to borrow a phrase from Vikings VOX Paul Allen.) Having seen Kidder County play, and watch them send NR-S to defeat for the only time this year (so far,) I would say they have the tools and the talent to make a title run. Sand and Benz are, by far, the best guard-post combo I have seen this year. It'll be a fun tournament, and I feel privileged to be a part of it! :D
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man." - Jack Handey
rocketsphotoguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:58 pm

Looking at the brackets, and the comments made, it seems to me we are in for a treat this year. There are some very very salty teams in state this year, with only one or two regions represented by teams that I don't think would crack the top 20 in state. Too bad it's way the "he double hockey sticks" in the boonies up there in Grand Forks(no offense to the city of Grand Forks). Hopefully there will be summaries of the games not televised. The stories in the paper aren't as interesting as the stories posted here. Sometimes you get a passionate fan now and then, but they usually give you an insight on some things that you would not see in a paper or have caught watching the game yourself.
bigpoppakdog

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:11 am

rocketsphotoguy wrote:Also, this being their first-ever appearance at the state tournament (the first for any girls' team sport at NR-S, even,) they will play very fast and loose, like they have nothing to lose.

That is what I coach tells his players, but if they actually play that way is another story.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hoot12 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:39 am

First Rd. Picks

Hankinson - they are returning to state with experience and talent should not be over looked

Kitter County - don't know much about them but have heard alot

FLPR - they also are returning to state with experience, and depth. Won the the region against #3 ranked Hillsboro. Held Hillsboro's center to 11pts. after she had went on a 27pt tear the night before against Grafton. Held Hillsboro go to guards to 11pts.

They have a strong defense, can rebound well at times and if their offense show up watch out.

They played Kenmare at the shootout on the prairie and beat them mid year. I think they have a good chance again at betting Kenmare and moving into the semi's. :D

Hazen - tough to go against the undefeated
Hoot12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Josh » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:04 am

Hoot12 wrote:First Rd. Picks

Hankinson - they are returning to state with experience and talent should not be over looked

FLPR - they also are returning to state with experience, and depth. Won the the region against #3 ranked Hillsboro. Held Hillsboro's center to 11pts. after she had went on a 27pt tear the night before against Grafton. Held Hillsboro go to guards to 11pts.

They have a strong defense, can rebound well at times and if their offense show up watch out.

They played Kenmare at the shootout on the prairie and beat them mid year. I think they have a good chance again at betting Kenmare and moving into the semi's. :D

I am very surprised how many people are picking Hankinson. Just becuase a team went the year before does not mean they will be tough tin state the next year. Look at Kindred those couple years, how about Washburn those three years. The rockets were told they could not beat a good Carrington Team three times either. Look what happened there. They thrive on being told they cannot do somehting.

NR-S is senior dominated team with some big play from underclassmen. They will not come out an play loose as rocket Guy says. They are determined and focused. They will enjoy it while they are there, but they are very business like and they want to be State Champs.

They haven't played the underdog role really all year, but I have a feeling they will play even better as the underdog. I hope they will prove everyone else wrong and come out on top and hopefully have a chance at revenge against Kidder County. Go Rockets!!!!!
Josh
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Dockter10 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:11 am

hmmm hmmm hmmm....I would think Kidder county wins it all, and goodluck to them.....not just because i know most of them girls :) but again goodluck.....Just because Standing Rock is from my region i hope they do well....But then it would be cool if New Rockford came out and won it all.....Can't make up my mind
Dockter10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:31 pm

philshometown wrote:region1-Hankinson Pirates
region2- FLPR Flyers
region7 - Hazen Bison

Standing Rock vs Hazen

My Picks:
1st Round
Standing Rock vs Hazen

Consolation
Hankinson vs Stanley
Standing Rock vs F-L-PR

Semi-Finals
New Rockford-Sheyenne vs Kidder County - Steele
Hazen vs Kenmare

7th Place
Stanley vs Standing Rock

5th Place
Hankinson vs F-L-PR

3rd Place
New Rockford-Sheyenne vs Hazen

Championship
Kidder County - Steele vs Kenmare
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bigballer55 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:15 pm

region2- FLPR Flyers
region7 - Hazen Bison

Standing Rock vs Hazen

first round
hankinson vs nr-s
kidder county vs. stanley
standing rock vs. Hazen
fordville-lankin park river vs kenmare

loser out
hankinson vs. stanley
standing rock vs. kenmare

semi's
nr-s vs. kidder county
hazen vs. flpr

7th place
stanley vs. standing rock

5th place
hankinson vs. kenmare

3rd place
kidder county vs. flpr

championship
nr-s vs. hazen

nr-s senior driven team that really wants it and with excellent guard play and great defense if they play there game they should win it if they get past kidder county in the semi's i think the winner of that game will win it all and im going to new rockfod sheyenne to win it too much balance and great pressure defense
"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne
bigballer55
NDPreps Starter

Postby Josh » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:29 pm

bigballer55 wrote:
region2- FLPR Flyers
region7 - Hazen Bison

Standing Rock vs Hazen

first round
hankinson vs nr-s
kidder county vs. stanley
standing rock vs. Hazen
fordville-lankin park river vs kenmare

loser out
hankinson vs. stanley
standing rock vs. kenmare

semi's
nr-s vs. kidder county
hazen vs. flpr

7th place
stanley vs. standing rock

5th place
hankinson vs. kenmare

3rd place
kidder county vs. flpr

championship
nr-s vs. hazen

nr-s senior driven team that really wants it and with excellent guard play and great defense if they play there game they should win it if they get past kidder county in the semi's i think the winner of that game will win it all and im going to new rockfod sheyenne to win it too much balance and great pressure defense

First off its nice to see BIG BALLA Back blogging!!!

As far as yoru predictions I do not see kenmare losing in the first round at all they are to tough. I know they only beat Maddock by 5 early in the season , but they are playing really well right now. I am hoping NR-S can get by the first round and have a chance like I said against Kidder but they are also very tough. If NR-S was to win it all they by far had toughest road I think. Either way I'll see you up there BIG BALLA
Josh
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tingly » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:58 pm

Tried to track down records and got:

Hankinson (22-3, #7) vs. NR-S (23-1, #6)
Kidder County (23-1, #4) vs. Stanley (18-6)
Standing Rock (18-5) vs. Hazen (23-0, #1)
F-L/PR (??-?, #9) vs. Kenmare (21-3, #8)
Last edited by tingly on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hoot12 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:11 pm

I know FLPR only has one loss to Hillsboro mid year so I believe they are 23-1
Hoot12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby amm » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:40 pm

[b]They played Kenmare at the shootout on the prairie and beat them mid year. I think they have a good chance again at betting Kenmare and moving into the semi's. :D

They did not beat kenmare midyear... it was at the very beginning of the year.. but they did still beat them
amm
NDPreps Reserve

Postby SuperMario99 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:04 pm

I think it will end up kidder co over kenmare in the championship
SuperMario99
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tingly » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:42 am

Cool. I'm not sure the rest of the records are right, but they were reported in newspapers.

I tried to find the losses for the 8 teams and got all but 1 for Standing Rock.

Hankinson
Dec.   4, 49-51, #10 @Fairmount/Campbell-Tintah
Dec. 12, 75-82, @Minnetonka, MN
Feb.   9, 53-58, @Sisseton, SD (#9 Class A)

New Rockford-Sheyenne
Jan. 19, 46-54, #4 Kidder County

Kidder County
Dec. 4, 49-59, #RV Carrington

Stanley
Dec.   6, 30-48, #8 Kenmare
Dec. 13, 39-67, #2 Bottineau (@Minot Civic Auditorium)
Dec. 16, 53-61, @Mandaree
Dec. 18, 34-50, @New Town
Jan. 24, 44-45, @Westhope-Newburg

Standing Rock
Dec. 13, 64-66, @Thompson
Dec. 18, 48-56, @Cheyenne-Eagle Butte, SD
Dec. 19, 65-70, @White River, SD
(maybe Jan. 12, @Timber Lake, SD)
Feb.   3, 70-73, Cheyenne-Eagle Butte, SD
(missing 2 losses overall)

Hazen
none

Fordville-Lankin/Park River
Jan. 6, 50-62, #3 @Hillsboro

Kenmare
Dec. 12, 60-68, Fordville-Lankin/Park River (@Minot Civic Auditorium)
Jan.   6, 60-62, Westhope-Newburg
Feb. 16, 43-47, MLS Mohall/Sherwood (@Minot Civic Auditorium)
Last edited by tingly on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InTheKnow » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:34 am

Also dont forget... FLPR has the X factor in Kirby Erickson. One of the best basketball coaches in the state. Led the FL boys teams to around 7 straight 20 win seasons in the 90s. He knows how to win.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby hook » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:54 am

flpr is playing good ball, should be a great tournament... to bad its at the alerus! that place not cool for everything!
hook
NDPreps Starter

Postby sport » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:37 am

amm wrote:

[b]They played Kenmare at the shootout on the prairie and beat them mid year. I think they have a good chance again at betting Kenmare and moving into the semi's. :D

They did not beat kenmare midyear... it was at the very beginning of the year.. but they did still beat them

FLPR I feel is going to do well against Kenmare. Yes FLRP beat Kenmare early, and since then Kenmare has become a much better ball team. This is a good argument for Kenmare, but FLPR lost to Hillsboro by 12 early in the season, and came back and beat them in the region finals. Watching both games, FLPR has made big advances since the beginning of the year, especially with there play in the middle. If FLPR post player finds a way to stay out of foul trouble, I think they are going to be hard to stop. I noticed during the year that there has not been alot of talk about FLPR on this site, but don't believe that they don't have a following, it was a sea of red at the Betty on championship night, good luck to FLPR.
sport
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Girls