Hankinson coaches cleared again

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Hankinson coaches cleared again

Postby ClassBEast » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:55 pm

Hankinson girls basketball coach Gravalin resigns
Eric Peterson, The Forum
Published Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Shawn Gravalin will not be the head girls basketball coach at Hankinson (N.D.) next season. He has resigned.

“Coach Gravalin and I came to a mutual agreement,” Hankinson Superintendent Jess Smith said Tuesday. “We both wanted an end to the controversy surrounding this. ... We didn’t want this to be a distraction for the kids.”

The school had investigated Gravalin and his assistant Mike Loll after the school was sent a letter in March that outlined complaints against the girls coaching staff.

Smith decided to retain Gravalin in April after the initial investigation.

A special Hankinson school board meeting, which was scheduled for Tuesday night, was canceled. The meeting was at the request of Fritz and Tammy Geffre, who sent in the initial letter of complaint.

Their daughters, Cody and Casey, were starters on the girls varsity basketball team. Hankinson placed third at the North Dakota Class B state girls basketball tournament last March.

Read tomorrow's Forum for the complete story.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vballfan06 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:08 pm

I'm a little confused by all of this. An investigation is done by the state and finds no ground for dismissal. Now the decision is so it's not a 'distraction for the kids'. It's a little late for that...
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby philshometown » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:15 pm

He has resigned to take the head girls basketball job at Pelican Rapids (Minn.).

Let's just say that there was a lot going on behind the scenes, people with no vested interest in the outcome taking sides in a small community...not pretty. Shawn and his soon-to-be wife need to focus on the new life they are building together, and not have to face (albeit with class and character) the small mindedness of some members of the community. The Hankinson GIrls Varsity BB players (minus two) are devastated, but understand, and have learned some harsh lessons about life through this ordeal.
In basketball -- as in life -- true joy comes from being fully present in each and every moment, not just when things are going your way.

PHIL JACKSON, Sacred Hoops
philshometown
NDPreps Starter

Postby COACHWEST » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:07 pm

Makes one wonder once again...........Why am I coaching??????
COACHWEST
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:51 am

Gravalin takes Pelican Rapids offer
Eric Peterson, The Forum
Published Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Shawn Gravalin will not be the head girls basketball coach at Hankinson (N.D.) High School next season, a move he said was not forced by the School District.

Gravalin resigned Monday as the Pirates’ head coach after a discussion with Hankinson Superintendent Jess Smith. Gravalin has accepted the head girls basketball position at Pelican Rapids (Minn.) High School.

“We just felt it was the best thing for the girls and for myself as well,” Gravalin said Tuesday. “I’m just looking forward to my new program in Pelican.”

Gravalin was awarded a settlement equivalent to a year’s coaching salary plus a $300 bonus – which would have been achieved if Hankinson advanced to the state tournament – for a total payment of $3,200, according to Craig M. Richie, Gravalin’s attorney.

The district investigated Gravalin and his assistant, Mike Loll, after it was sent a letter in March that outlined complaints against the coaches. In the letter, Gravalin and Loll were accused of inappropriate behavior around players.

Smith decided in April to retain Gravalin after conducting an investigation, which was later reviewed by an attorney hired by the School Board.

In a written statement, Smith said he “continues to stand by his original report and considers any disparaging comments about coach Gravalin and coach Loll to be unfortunate and regrettable.”

A special Hankinson School Board meeting, scheduled for Tuesday, was canceled in the wake of Gravalin resigning.

“Coach Gravalin and I came to a mutual agreement,” Smith said. “We both wanted an end to the controversy surrounding this. ... We didn’t want this to be a distraction for the kids.”

Fritz and Tammy Geffre, who sent the letter of complaint, requested the special meeting on Tuesday. Their daughters, Cody and Casey, were starters on the girls varsity basketball team.

A phone message left with the Geffres was not returned Tuesday. It is not known whether Cody, who will be a senior, and Casey, who will be a junior, will attend Hankinson this fall.

Richie said a summons and complaint for defamation was ready to be served to the Geffres if Tuesday’s meeting had gone on as scheduled.

Richie said he is unsure whether his client will pursue further legal action.

“There’s no doubt it’s a good case, but do you do it?” Richie said.

Hankinson placed third at the North Dakota Class B state girls basketball tournament in March, finishing the season with a 21-7 record.

“They’re going to be very talented for the next few years,” Gravalin said. “The cupboard is full and I wish them all the best of luck. ... I hope they do the right thing and look at Mike Loll being the replacement.”

Gravalin said he may have an opportunity to work for the Pelican Rapids School District, which made the coaching position attractive. He only coached at Hankinson. Attempts to reach members of the Pelican Rapids School Board Tuesday were not successful.

“I would have taken this opportunity no matter what. This is a great opportunity for my family,” said Gravalin, who is engaged to get married. “My family lives in Pelican Rapids. I’m just excited to be there. It definitely was tough to leave Hankinson. I have some great kids there and some great parents. ... I don’t think it would have been a comfortable situation there.”

Readers can reach Forum reporter Eric Peterson at (701) 241-5513.

Peterson’s prep sports blog can be found at http://www.areavoices.com
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:38 am

once more, players & parents win........sad
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ICU » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:00 am

I don't understand why the school would have to pay a settlement? If he resigns and takes a job elsewhere, why would the school have to pay a settlement? or did he sue the school and that is what he was awarded? any insite on this would help. Best of luck to him in Pelican Rapids, it will be rough in Hankinson for the next coach coming in.Like luvmy3gbb1wr said, players and parents win again..
ICU

Postby philshometown » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:43 am

He settled for the contract buyout a few hours before he was offered the Pelican Rapids position. Timing is everything, and since his contract buyout only covered about half of his legal fees, I think it was a good thing!
In basketball -- as in life -- true joy comes from being fully present in each and every moment, not just when things are going your way.

philshometown
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:21 pm

"Gravalin was awarded a settlement equivalent to a year’s coaching salary plus a $300 bonus – which would have been achieved if Hankinson advanced to the state tournament – for a total payment of $3,200, according to Craig M. Richie, Gravalin’s attorney."

Wow, a coach's salary is so not worth the hassle that goes along with the job. I know most of them don't do it for the money, but really, why would anyone want to coach?
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ICU » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:52 pm

I think he should go after the parents for defamation. Maybe be the one that leads the way for other coaches fighting back against parents like this. Good luck to him in the future..
ICU

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:21 pm

ICU wrote:I think he should go after the parents for defamation. Maybe be the one that leads the way for other coaches fighting back against parents like this. Good luck to him in the future..

I think there is more to the story. How did he get himself into this situation? To think that the entire Geffre family is out to get this guy is harder to believe than this guy did any wrong. If he is not guilty why is he leaving? If he has nothing to worry about, he would have stayed. I don't buy that he was going to leave no matter what.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:51 pm

GoodO'LBoy wrote:
ICU wrote:I think he should go after the parents for defamation. Maybe be the one that leads the way for other coaches fighting back against parents like this. Good luck to him in the future..

I think there is more to the story. How did he get himself into this situation? To think that the entire Geffre family is out to get this guy is harder to believe than this guy did any wrong. If he is not guilty why is he leaving? If he has nothing to worry about, he would have stayed. I don't buy that he was going to leave no matter what.

He left because he has the opportunity to teach in Pelican Rapids, an opportunity that he did not have in Hankinson. Also, no matter if he is innocent or not, his reputation has been damaged and he is walking on eggshells throughout his time there. The Geffres were upset because the girls were benched for a half for missing a practice and now have a vendetta. Crazy how it is just the geffres that have an issue.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:36 am

no coach is perfect...but the Geffres have had the reputation for this kind of behavior at Shanley as well...would any of you want to coach at Hankinson knowing that your every breath is being monitored; knowing that you've got to try and coach two girls (and their parents) who deliberately went looking to get you sacked and from most accounts exaggerated every claim. Wow, forgive and forget? He would have to be a bigger man than many people out there to even consider it......run, run far away and never go near Hankinson........ :P
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:57 am

Let me start by saying I have no knowledge of the situation between Coach Gravlin and the Geffre family, outside of what I've read in the Fargo Forumn, on this website, and hearsay. However, I can say that I had a few personal dealings with Coach Gravlin in the late 90's-early 2000's when he was a coach at Fargo North while I was affiliated with an opposing school in the EDC and I can say I was very unimpressed with the way he carried himself and the manner he handled himself while around his players(this was boys basketball though). The guy he assisted under left North under dubious circumstances. Granted, this was nearly 10 years ago, a lot can change in that amount of time. As a former coach at all levels in North Dakota (Varsity, JV,JH, 5-6,College, class A, Class B) I can vouch for the fact that you will never please everyone. In all my stops I've usually had a set of parents that were hard to work with. Again, I have no personal knowledge of this particular case regarding coach Gravlin. He very well may be completely innocent. However, just because some parents are complaining that have complained before in another district doesn't mean that the guy is automatically the victim of a witch hunt. My experiences with Coach Gravlin lead me to believe that at least a small portion of this complaint has some merit. If not, I apologize to Coach Gravlin and I hope he pursues a lawsuit against the Geffre's and wins.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:24 am

Y'know, I'll give you the Fargo North deal......but here's why I think you're wrong by backing these girls.....

1) two seperate investigations clearing the coaches; even to the point of stating publicly that the family is expecting their daughters to be treated special

2) no other girl or family in the district has even remotely complained or back the Geffres in this....if the coaches were inappropriate in this, as a parent I'd be backing them

I've coached all different levels too; college, HS, JH, 5/6.......I've hugged a kid, joked with them, (god forbid) gotten in a swimming pool with them; wow, I'm inappropriate too.

Most of the time, parents complain when their kid is not being treated like the star that the parent/kid thinks they are. I'm sorry, based on the investigations, etc. I have to go with the coach on this.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bison fan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:17 pm

I have a friend who lives in Hankinson and she told me a different parent had accused gravalin a few years back for being inappropriate and I dont know if her daughter was the "star" or not that is just what i heard
Bison fan

Postby Nodak Guy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:49 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:Let me start by saying I have no knowledge of the situation between Coach Gravlin and the Geffre family, outside of what I've read in the Fargo Forumn, on this website, and hearsay. However, I can say that I had a few personal dealings with Coach Gravlin in the late 90's-early 2000's when he was a coach at Fargo North while I was affiliated with an opposing school in the EDC and I can say I was very unimpressed with the way he carried himself and the manner he handled himself while around his players(this was boys basketball though). The guy he assisted under left North under dubious circumstances. Granted, this was nearly 10 years ago, a lot can change in that amount of time. As a former coach at all levels in North Dakota (Varsity, JV,JH, 5-6,College, class A, Class B) I can vouch for the fact that you will never please everyone. In all my stops I've usually had a set of parents that were hard to work with. Again, I have no personal knowledge of this particular case regarding coach Gravlin. He very well may be completely innocent. However, just because some parents are complaining that have complained before in another district doesn't mean that the guy is automatically the victim of a witch hunt. My experiences with Coach Gravlin lead me to believe that at least a small portion of this complaint has some merit. If not, I apologize to Coach Gravlin and I hope he pursues a lawsuit against the Geffre's and wins.

I agree with the fact that there is more to the story then we have heard, and that he doesn't have the best reputation. It's a good thing that he left for MN, but he'll always be connected to Hankinson due to the fact that his in-law's are there.

As for the girls, it seems like there are alot of senarios as to where they are going, or if they are staying. Any truth to their parents possibly getting a job at Bobcat and thinking about living in the Lisbon/Milnor/Gwinner area? Doesn't seem likely to me, but who knows nowadays! If the girls stay, there is going to be a TON of animosity between all of the girls. It's not going to be a pretty sight.
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby pbhoopsters » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:45 am

The Hankinson issue is a tragic but interesting story. We all seem to think we know who is right and who is wrong. Both parties suffer from perception problems. Rumors surround the Geffres and why they left Shanley. Coach Gravalin is haunted with what may or may not have happened at Fargo North. Caught in the middle is a Class B town that wants their girls basketball team to continue to build on the success they had last year. I am sure they were hoping that the two parties could find some sort of common understanding and put their differences behind them for the good of the team. Apparently that was not possible.

I have been both a coach who has had to deal with parents that I considered difficult and a parent who has had to deal with someone who In my view was a lousy coach. I am sure in both instances the other party felt the same about me. Coaches are not always right and parents always wrong. By the same token parents are not always right and coaches always wrong.

I get the feeling that some out in the sports talk world think that every time a parent raises a complaint about a coach it has to be illegitimate. A parent could not possibly have an objective criticism. By the same token, with limited spots and limited playing time, it is nearly impossible for a coach not to aggravate some parents some of the time. Unfortunately, it comes with the job. It is about as natural as breathing. Because a coach angers parents does not mean the coach is bad coach. That is why we rely on school administrators to mediate these issues. Someone has to separate the fact from the fiction.

Based on who I know and what I have heard, I have my opinion on who is right and wrong in regard to this particular incident. However, I certainly am not about to publicly identify either party as the villian based solely on my opinion. All I can say is that it is a sad situation. Sad for the Geffres, sad for Coach Gravalin, and sad for the community of Hankinson. Unfortunately, I think for the Hankinson girls basketball team - "Humpty Dumpty has fallen off the wall". Maybe they can put him back together again - but maybe not.
pbhoopsters

Postby philshometown » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:25 pm

In the meantime,

HANKINSON Public School is looking for a Head Girls Basketball Coach for the 2008-2009 Basketball Season. If interested, please contact: Jess Smith, Supt; Hankinson Public School, PO Box 220, Hankinson, ND 58041, 701-242-7516.

Let's all hope some brave soul wants to take on this team, a team who has great potential and a lot of community support, but will definitely need some kind of miracle to bring them together on the court!

philshometown
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jumpman23 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:17 am

pbhoopsters wrote:The Hankinson issue is a tragic but interesting story. We all seem to think we know who is right and who is wrong. Both parties suffer from perception problems. Rumors surround the Geffres and why they left Shanley. Coach Gravalin is haunted with what may or may not have happened at Fargo North. Caught in the middle is a Class B town that wants their girls basketball team to continue to build on the success they had last year. I am sure they were hoping that the two parties could find some sort of common understanding and put their differences behind them for the good of the team. Apparently that was not possible.

I have been both a coach who has had to deal with parents that I considered difficult and a parent who has had to deal with someone who In my view was a lousy coach. I am sure in both instances the other party felt the same about me. Coaches are not always right and parents always wrong. By the same token parents are not always right and coaches always wrong.

I get the feeling that some out in the sports talk world think that every time a parent raises a complaint about a coach it has to be illegitimate. A parent could not possibly have an objective criticism. By the same token, with limited spots and limited playing time, it is nearly impossible for a coach not to aggravate some parents some of the time. Unfortunately, it comes with the job. It is about as natural as breathing. Because a coach angers parents does not mean the coach is bad coach. That is why we rely on school administrators to mediate these issues. Someone has to separate the fact from the fiction.

Based on who I know and what I have heard, I have my opinion on who is right and wrong in regard to this particular incident. However, I certainly am not about to publicly identify either party as the villian based solely on my opinion. All I can say is that it is a sad situation. Sad for the Geffres, sad for Coach Gravalin, and sad for the community of Hankinson. Unfortunately, I think for the Hankinson girls basketball team - "Humpty Dumpty has fallen off the wall". Maybe they can put him back together again - but maybe not.

I think it is also sad for the other players who have to play with the Geffre's. They have to go back this season, in Volleyball AND Basketball and play with these girls who were instrumental in getting rid of their Basketball Coach. It will be interesting watching them play this year.. to see if the rest of the girls can get back on track together as a team. It will prove who the bad guy really is.
Jumpman23

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:18 pm

schools systems should allow coaches/teachers to sue for slander and libel. It's always ok for a kid to mouth off about a teacher or coach and have their parents mouth of "heresay" to the town even if its a lie. But if a coach or teacher says anything then bring on the lawyers. Maybe if students/parents could be sued or threatened as easily as teachers/coaches are maybe they would investigate the matter better or stop enabling the "me" generation. Many of us are sick of the "me" generation because when they get in the real world they can't do a darn thing because they're not used to just getting their way, or being told the word "no."

The courts declared this was a deliberate act by the parents. Enough said.
bigpoppakdog

Postby bestinthewest » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:52 am

ok so where did these girls end up going??
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:04 am

still at Hankinson, one is stating vb and the other, younger one is playing vb...i know they talked with at least one other coach in the area about moving to another school ..one coach said no thanks, would cause too much drama if the two geffres came in......last I heard no coaches have been hired to replace the two that left Hankinson, but i haven't head any more yet, could have changed. Right or wrong, would you want to step into that mess?
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:46 pm

Anybody who does step in has to be experienced and confident in what they are doing. Then they need to make sure they have the support of the school board and administration. Then you have a meeting with the Geffres and tell them this is how it will be and if you don't like it, you're welcome to transfer somewhere else. Then you have a meeting with all the parents and tell everyone how it will be.

You really need to be up front with parents and tell them that coaching is not a democracy. Parents can call ahead to schedule a meeting with coaches to find out what is going on with the team or to talk, but you just have to tell them in advance that they might not like everything the coach does. It cannot be coach by committee. You have to tell them, I'm hired to coach and that's what I'll do. I'll treat your children with respect and do what I think is best for this team.

Even this is no guarantee of success, but you have to be up front with them and then keep reminding them of what you said throughout the season. You have to communicate with parents almost as much as you do with the athletes these days.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportfan2007 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Does anybody know if a new head coach has been appointed ?? I know it was up in the air about Loll taking over and it didn't sound like he would be offered the position. I have heard they offered it to someone from outside the area, but I haven't heard any press release confirming this.
sportfan2007
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls