Best team that didn't win state

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Best team that didn't win state

Postby rep » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:26 am

continuing the thought from the boys' discussion...

i'll toss the 2007 steele-dawson team out there for discussion. went down to the wire with bottineau, uppended in the final seconds by a kayla roemmich scooping layup. bottineau had no significant trouble the rest of the way, winning its second of three (if not more) straight class b titles.
rep

Re: Best team that didn't win state

Postby baseball » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:54 am

what about the run Washburn had with Ruthie Dockter?? they had to have been up there
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:37 am

The bottineau team that was supposed to win it all and lost in the region championship.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby mplsfan » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Bottineau actually had two of those teams. I'm guessing you are refering to the 2005 team that was undefeated and ranked #1 all year. They lost to Mohall in the region final. Just two weeks earlier they had beaten Mohall by 20. In 1995 Bottineau was also ranked #1 all year, I believe they were undefeated as well. They were upset by Langdon in the region semi's (when the regions were aligned differently). They reloaded with 4 new starters in 1996 and took 3rd at state.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndcommentor » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:51 pm

rep wrote:continuing the thought from the boys' discussion...

i'll toss the 2007 steele-dawson team out there for discussion. went down to the wire with bottineau, uppended in the final seconds by a kayla roemmich scooping layup. bottineau had no significant trouble the rest of the way, winning its second of three (if not more) straight class b titles.

langdon lost to them by one this season. a girl got fouled on a three with 205 secs left. she made the first 2 and missed the third to get the rebound for the win... the ball and girls were on the ground when the time went out..
ndcommentor

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:56 pm

ndcommentor wrote:

langdon lost to them by one this season. a girl got fouled on a three with 205 secs left. she made the first 2 and missed the third to get the rebound for the win... the ball and girls were on the ground when the time went out..

i dont konw if a foul with over 3 minutes left would be that much of a killer?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:06 pm

i also remember listing to this game on the radio in Watertown, SD and just in shock when i heard Roemmich made a layup. Steele had the ball up one in the final seconds and they turn it over...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:52 pm

The Hebron Brickmakers from 88-90. The reason you didn't hear from them(although they lost only 3 or 4 games in two years) was due to the Beach Buc Machines that were in the same region. They played beach tougher than any of the other teams in the region as well as the state tournament(beach won state that one year by 50 points). I would have to say Hebron could have won state one year if not two years had they played at a different time that arguable the best girls team the state of ND ever had. One could argue that they(Beach) were better than any class A team also, including the Mandan squads of today. Beach had the waldahls, Jamelle scott on one team. 3 miss basketball finalists on one team..thats not fair. Anybody that watched girls class b in those day's will say they were the best ever. Hebron was the second best. The waldahls were tall posts(6'0) that were faster than any guards of today. Often would rebound the ball underneath the basket and dribble coast to coast for the layup without a defender in front of them. If you played in the SW area these years you would remember the Hebron squad from those years also.
bigpoppakdog

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:26 pm

The 1995 Leeds team has to be mentioned. 25-0 until they lost the region championship to Midkota....who went on to win it all that year. Had 10 girls that were all very good players, but couldn't get by Nina Topp and Megan Feichtner in that championship game.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndcommentor » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:20 pm

baseball wrote:
ndcommentor wrote:

i dont konw if a foul with over 3 minutes left would be that much of a killer?

sorry lions 2.5....
ndcommentor

Postby champs0607 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:11 pm

i'd have to say that this years grafton girls bball team was def. good enuf to win state. they just happened to let the region championship slip away in the final minutes. i personally feel that they could've beaten bottineau at state and would've won it all.
"Don't give up....don't ever give up." Jimmy Valvano
champs0607
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:28 am

1986 Finley-Sharon Raiders
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:38 am

The Schwab wrote:1986 Finley-Sharon Raiders

I agree. Also, it was a shock when they didn't return to the state tournament in '87 after returning all of their starter from the previous season.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:46 am

champs0607 wrote:i'd have to say that this years grafton girls bball team was def. good enuf to win state. they just happened to let the region championship slip away in the final minutes. i personally feel that they could've beaten bottineau at state and would've won it all.

Very bold. I have to give the Champs some credit. I do not think it would have been a game. Bottno by 15.
Bottno has more depth, better coached, and had more talent. Better luck next year Grafton.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby ball23 » Fri May 02, 2008 11:05 pm

GoodO'LBoy wrote:
champs0607 wrote:i'd have to say that this years grafton girls bball team was def. good enuf to win state. they just happened to let the region championship slip away in the final minutes. i personally feel that they could've beaten bottineau at state and would've won it all.

Very bold. I have to give the Champs some credit. I do not think it would have been a game. Bottno by 15.
Bottno has more depth, better coached, and had more talent. Better luck next year Grafton.

Earlier in the season, when Grafton was #2 or #3 and played botno in Minot...Botno was jus simply to much inside and out
ball23

Postby mplsfan » Sat May 03, 2008 7:45 pm

Bottineau won that game over Grafton by 12 and it was the previous night that Kayla Roemmich went out hurt. She didn't play against Grafton and they were still figuring out how to play without her. And still they won by 12.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:12 pm

the New Salem Holsteins that went to state 3 years in a row. A lot of talent on that squad.
bigpoppakdog

Postby basketball » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:14 pm

1996 Hatton team, made it to state placed 3rd. They had 2 players out because of ACL's and had a girl sick the whole tournament. Also the Northern Cass teams late 90's or early 00's dont know exact year.
basketball
NDPreps Starter

Postby 5-time state chump » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:17 pm

Huh? Why was my post deleted? If that's not ND News...what is?

So you seriously aren't aware? Or...you are being politcally correct, and deleted it?
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:22 pm

5-time state chump wrote:Huh? Why was my post deleted? If that's not ND News...what is?

So you seriously aren't aware? Or...you are being politcally correct, and deleted it?

It got deleted because it is inappropriate to talk about on this board and if you dont like it post somewhere else.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 5-time state chump » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:25 pm

Baller wrote:
5-time state chump wrote:Huh? Why was my post deleted? If that's not ND News...what is?

It got deleted because it is inappropriate to talk about on this board and if you dont like it post somewhere else.

So we can talk about RUMOR's of inappropriate contact between Hankinson coaches and players (for the last year), but actual 100% FACT is off limits?

Interesting concept.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:26 pm

Those RUMORS are published articles being talked about by both parties. End of discussion.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 5-time state chump » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:36 pm

Baller wrote:Those RUMORS are published articles being talked about by both parties. End of discussion.

Okay. I gotcha. So what you're saying is, we can only discuss things on this board if the person we are talking about is on the board and commenting on it also.

Ex: If want to talk about the Bottineau girls team for 2008, they need to be on here posting also, right?

Also...with the "rumor thing", there was controversy about whether or not it happened.

There is none with this, and I GUARANTEE she wouldn't be embarrased about it because she's on the INTERNET TALKING ABOUT IT.

Anyway...yep...you're right. End of discussion. You had some valid points with what you said. Anyone that reads it can plainly see your answer is chock full of validity.

:wink:
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby E@stern Executioner » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:48 pm

Nina Topp = Luke Jude ***Not rumor, fact. **

http://www.yesinstitute.org/contact_us/ ... teers.php#

Absolutely NO reason this should be deleted. She's obviously not embarassed by it...why are you?
Don't lose your dinosaur.
E@stern Executioner
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:27 pm

That does not mean that the state championship should be stripped by her team because she changed her identity after high school.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Girls