Midway-Minto vs. New Salem

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:05 pm

game starts in 25 minutes. Who's gonna win?
thunderbaseball_38

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:41 pm

M-M has been rather unimpressive so far, I was expecting much more.  Did I hear Coach Rice say at the halftime interview that his team drove up today?? As a coach I would have rather came up on Wed. night, to not have to sit in the bus the whole way to Minot.  I can't imagine the roads were that great during the day on Thursday.  What does everyone else think?
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rkmt » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:07 pm

Wow, I'm very surprised to see Midway-Minto play like they did.  I staunchly picked them first round.  But I also have to say, I underestimated New Salem.  They definitely came of age and deserve to play in the night round.  And yet I think they can play better offensively.  but their defense was enough to completely take Midway-Minto out of their game, so a good start for them in the tourney.
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:11 pm

final score?
rep

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:11 pm

Midway-Minto shot horribly in the game. They got alot of open looks but couldn't hit anything. I was shocked to see them lose by as much as they did. I thought it would have been the 3rd close game of the day, but it was a blow out. Midway-Minto couldn't get anything going from the beginning. Sarah Schuster was the only person who played good for the Mustangs.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby ndfootball06 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:48 pm

thunderbaseball_38 wrote:Midway-Minto shot horribly in the game. They got alot of open looks but couldn't hit anything. I was shocked to see them lose by as much as they did. I thought it would have been the 3rd close game of the day, but it was a blow out. Midway-Minto couldn't get anything going from the beginning. Sarah Schuster was the only person who played good for the Mustangs.

i dont think sarah schuster played good at all.  how many shots did she take? yeah she led the team in scoring but anybody can score 14 in a game when they take 30 shots.  this was not the same team that beat flpr in the regional championship last thursday.
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

Postby tingly » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:14 pm

New Salem 41, Midway-Minto 22
Associated Press
MINOT, N.D. - Teryl Norton scored 15 points, grabbed 10 rebounds and dished out 6 assists as New Salem beat Midway-Minto 41-22 on Thursday in the first round of the North Dakota state Class B girls basketball tournament.

The Holsteins led all the way, stretching the lead to 19 points in the fourth quarter. After placing seventh and eighth in the last 2 state tournaments, the Holsteins will play either Kindred or New Town in Friday's semifinals.

Midway-Minto (22-5) trailed 17-8 at halftime after shooting 13% in the first half. The Mustangs made just 3 of 24 shots from the field were 2-for-2 from the free throw line.

"New Salem made they're shots and we didn't. They played better than we did and they deserved to win" said Midway-Minto's Betsy Dickson.

It got worse after halftime as the Mustangs went 6:31 without a basket to fall behind 23-10 with 1:30 to play in the quarter.

The 22 points were the fewest surrendered by the Holsteins in a game this season. The Mustangs shot just 19% from the field.

New Salem (24-1) led 6-0 before Midway-Minto got on the board.

"We knew we had to come out strong, and hopefully the chips would fall where we wanted them to fall," Norton said.

Samantha Lauf added 13 points and 7 rebounds for the Holsteins.

Sarah Schuster scored 14 points for the Mustangs, who play either Kindred or New Town in Friday's consolation round.
Last edited by tingly on Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby whatsit2u » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:57 pm

SCC wrote:My first two picks lost, so I don't know if I should jinx the teams tonight.  Superstitions aside, my picks are Midway-Minto and Kindred.

nice picking lol.  talk about bad luck.  I hope you didnt make any bets.
whatsit2u
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndsbest44 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:32 pm

I was really impressed with Teryl Norton today, she really ran her team well from the point
ndsbest44
NDPreps Starter

Postby vballfan06 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:52 pm

i agree, i watched new salem play earlier in the season...and either i saw them on a rough night, or they've come a long way. I was impressed. Of course, it did help that M-M couldn't buy a bucket.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby Deuce » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:23 pm

I hope class b gets a shot clock.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:35 pm

I didn't catch all the games on tv today, but it seems like the shot clock wouldn't have come into affect in many possessions anyway.  And if it did, it would probably just force another bad shot and a miss, keeping the score low.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Deuce » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:51 pm

I'm not going to say anything negative but it was painful to watch. 
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Stromer » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:33 pm

Deuce wrote:I'm not going to say anything negative but it was painful to watch. 

True dat but i think it seemed like every game had a team shoot absolutely horrible for a half.  Maybe the shot clock would have helped in this game but not as much in the others.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:52 am

It wasn't the play of the teams as much as the pace.  A team would hold the ball for the last 1:30 of each quarter and added up amounts to about a half a quarter of standing at the half line dribbling the ball.  Plus a team can get back into a game because they'll get more possessions.  Maybe going to halfs would help since there'd be 2 less times a team would be going for the last shot.
Last edited by Deuce on Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby FREE CHET » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:13 am

Deuce wrote:It wasn't the play of the teams as much as the pace.  A team would hold the ball for the last 1:30 of each quarter and added up amounts to about a half a quarter of standing at the half line dribbling the ball.  Plus a team can get back into a game because they'll get more possessions.  Maybe going to halfs would help since there'd be 2 less times a team would be going for the last shot.

Ilike the switch to halves in Class A, and I think it would be good for B too.  The flow of the game is better without the quarter breaks, and even for subbing.  If Class B is concerned about the 18 minute thing for depth etc..., keep it at 16 minutes, but go to halves.  I would like the shot clock, too.  I don't want to hear that it would cost too much money. 
FREE CHET

Postby tingly » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:56 am

Looks like $2000 is on the lower end of the shot clock price scale. I thought it'd be a few hundred.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:27 pm

thunderbaseball_38 wrote:Midway-Minto shot horribly in the game. They got alot of open looks but couldn't hit anything. I was shocked to see them lose by as much as they did. I thought it would have been the 3rd close game of the day, but it was a blow out. Midway-Minto couldn't get anything going from the beginning. Sarah Schuster was the only person who played good for the Mustangs.

M-M was 5 of 19 on just LAYUPS. As far as Sarah Schuster she was bad! Took 20 shots and was 3 for 13 on layups herself. If M-M even makes 50% of their layups early in the game they would not have been forced to cast away to try and catch up which is why it ended up so lopsided the last four minutes. I dont think they even attemped a lay up the last 5 minutes of the game. Not saying they would have won but it was not even close to the same team as was seen for three games of regionals.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:21 am

InTheKnow wrote:

M-M was 5 of 19 on just LAYUPS. As far as Sarah Schuster she was bad! Took 20 shots and was 3 for 13 on layups herself. If M-M even makes 50% of their layups early in the game they would not have been forced to cast away to try and catch up which is why it ended up so lopsided the last four minutes. I dont think they even attemped a lay up the last 5 minutes of the game. Not saying they would have won but it was not even close to the same team as was seen for three games of regionals.
yeah m-m was definitely a different team during state this year... one thing that i just cant get over is why they waited until thursday morning to drive a bus all the way there instead of going down a day before and getting settled in.  they spent 10 hours in a bus before their game with new salem and it definitely showed they were a little restless from the ride.  new salem didn't do anything spectacular in their win i mean they did hold them to 24 or whatever points it was but like many of us noticed it was mostly on missed layups and missed open shots.  I was shocked to hear it considering this is the 2nd year in a row they've gone you would think they would know what to expect and be better prepared for something this big.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Watcher 007 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:00 pm

All this talk about MM region had 4 or 5 teams that should be at the state tournament, if really didn't see it. You have to come and play every game. I guess who ever made the comment that the teams from that region are way better than any other teams in the state should maybe take that comment back.  But everyone can express their own opinion and the rest of us just have to go off of what went on at the State tournament. I personally cheered for MM but they just weren't as strong as the other teams this year. Maybe next season. Good luck in the future to MM..
Watcher 007
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:08 pm

Watcher 007 wrote:All this talk about MM region had 4 or 5 teams that should be at the state tournament, if really didn't see it. You have to come and play every game. I guess who ever made the comment that the teams from that region are way better than any other teams in the state should maybe take that comment back.  But everyone can express their own opinion and the rest of us just have to go off of what went on at the State tournament. I personally cheered for MM but they just weren't as strong as the other teams this year. Maybe next season. Good luck in the future to MM..

Considering it is the exact same team that took second at state last year and the only team to beat Bottineau at full strength this year I think it justifies them being as strong as any other team that was there. Their floor game was rather solid as they didnt turn the ball over nearly as much as other teams, they rebounded well especially offensively, played solid defense. The only phase of the game they (mainly the Schusters) strugled with was shooting WIDE OPEN layups. For what ever reason they couldnt shake the bad shooting. To shoot as aweful as they did I think it shows what kind of team they were to actually be in games as close as they were until the last 3 minutes of each game when fouling out, and casting three pointers to catch up create a wide final margin. As far as their future, its going to be tough the next couple years. Basically only 4 players who can "compete" with no Christine Miller type of player to carry them.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Return to Girls