Guards

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby bestinthewest » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:43 pm

Since we've got a post player topic goin, which guards from each team will be difference makers this year?? which teams rely heavily on guards for their offense?? and which guards will actually produce results??
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Postby project-pat » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:44 pm

Look out for Brittany Anderson of bowman to put up some big numbers for the bulldogs.

I think she had 22 points and 8 rebounds against South heart in regionals and around 15-20 against Beulah in the championship. She is tough and a dead eye from long range.
Last edited by project-pat on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
project-pat

Postby unc2 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:50 pm

I think she made about 7-8 3's just in those two games so she should be a guard to watch
unc2
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:10 am

project-pat wrote:Look out for Brittany Anderson of bowman to put up some big numbers for the bulldogs.

I think she had 22 points and 8 rebounds against South heart in regionals and around 15-20 against Beulah in the championship. She is tough and a dead eye from long range.

There were eight 20+ point performances in the Region 2 tournament by 6 different players (twice by M-M Kristina Schuster and UND bound Kristie Gillette), so it isnt that impresive for fans of Region 2.

Betsy Dickson for M-M was averaging 6.3 points, 7.5 rebounds, 7.3 assists, and 3.6 steals per game going into regionals. All of those totals should go up after regionals. She scores 6.3 by choice not because she cant score more. In districts in 2006 she had a game with something like 2 points 9 assists 6 steals and 18 rebounds and in the post game interview on the radio they asked if she knew how many points and rebounds she had and she said "I have know idea, I dont pay attention to that, I just do what i need to to win".
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Carl08 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:06 am

Kindred relies heavily on their guard play.  Bindas has been exceptional for them throughout the season and into tournament play.  She averaged 20pts at the Region 1 tourney.  Also, Talley and Jameson are real scoring threats from outside the three-point arc. Against a good team their outside shooting could really make or break them. 
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby bestinthewest » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:07 am

So if New Salem's Norton and Tellman are on fire from behind the arc, and Lauf makes her 3 or 4 threes she's been hitting a game lately, and Seeger dominates in the paint on the offensive end, and The Toepke sisters play their usual good defense, (in other words, every NS player has a good game in their respective areas), and Midway-Minto also has a good night, what would happen?? I've read MM is a defensive-oriented team, is this a defense vs. offense matchup??
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Postby thesports_guy32 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:39 am

MM would not allow every player on that team to have a good game. They are extremely disciplined on defense and will maybe allow one girl to have a good game and shut down everyone else. Example: Abby Reiter had 24 against them in the first round of regionals and they allowed the rest of the team to score 15 points. If New Salem is an offense first team then yes this is O vs. D. I pick MM to win. Offense draws crowds but defense wins championships.
thesports_guy32

Postby InTheKnow » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:50 am

bestinthewest wrote:So if New Salem's Norton and Tellman are on fire from behind the arc, and Lauf makes her 3 or 4 threes she's been hitting a game lately, and Seeger dominates in the paint on the offensive end, and The Toepke sisters play their usual good defense, (in other words, every NS player has a good game in their respective areas), and Midway-Minto also has a good night, what would happen?? I've read MM is a defensive-oriented team, is this a defense vs. offense matchup??

I did some research on the Region 5 tournament. They way you make it sound is that NS is a three point making machine. I checked the Bismarck Tribune and found that Lauf hasnt been making 3-4 threes a game. She didnt even make a total of 4 for the whole region tournament. As a team they made 11 for the tournament which is a decent total but 9 of them were against teams that would have never made it to the region in region 2. They shot 48% total for the whole tourament.

I thought the NS coach had a rather funny quote after the title game in the Tribune---

[font=Arial]The Holsteins were only 7-for-14 from the charity stripe in the final 1:33.

"We're a team that shoots 64 percent from the line, so it was surprising to me that we shot so poorly down the stretch," Slag said
[/font]

[font=Arial]Since when was 64% from the line a good stat. 9x14 is 64%. Thats only making 2 more. About the only thing is wether they missed the front end of 1n1's every time.[/font]

[font=Arial]As far as wether or not M-M is a defensive or offensive team, I dont think you can charactorize them as either. There defense is extremely tough. They pride themselves on in your face man to man defense. But because their defense is so good their offense gets overshadowed. They have 5 legitimate offensive threats and had 6 different players in double figures over the course of the regions. In the region title game they shot 58% from the floor and hit I believe 7 threes. FLPR was unconscious and shot 50% themselves and hit probably 6 threes but it wasnt enough because M-M has so many more intangables. Things like forcing four 5 second calls on inbounds in the three games. Those things are big when the competition level gets tougher but you never see them in the stat sheet or read about them in the paper. [/font]
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby bestinthewest » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:33 pm

sorry, that was my bad. Lauf was making 3 or 4 threes the last couple games of the regular season but still had a 25 point game at regionals, granted it was against Sheridan County, but still 25 points is 25 points right? and then tellman had 20 vs. turtle lake, and then seeger had 18 against flasher.  Norton did not play the 1st game, due to an injury sustained at districts. she is back at 100% and should give NS 15-20 points a game at the tournment. remember she holds the record for most 3 pointers at the state tournament.
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller01 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:02 pm

Lindsey Sand out of Steele-Dawson is one pt guard to keep and eye out for. Coach Sand's daughter who does a lot of things right for the Pirates. Only a sophomore too...
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby InTheKnow » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:20 pm

bestinthewest wrote:sorry, that was my bad. Lauf was making 3 or 4 threes the last couple games of the regular season but still had a 25 point game at regionals, granted it was against Sheridan County, but still 25 points is 25 points right? and then tellman had 20 vs. turtle lake, and then seeger had 18 against flasher.  Norton did not play the 1st game, due to an injury sustained at districts. she is back at 100% and should give NS 15-20 points a game at the tournment. remember she holds the record for most 3 pointers at the state tournament.

Not when you get to this level of competition. Yes she will be a threat from 3 but it is nothing that M-M hasnt already seen PLENTY of times. Impressive is Sammie Baldwin putting up 36 for D/StT with Cali Erickson trying to match her with 25 in the same game guarding each other and Katie Ralston for FLPR throwing in another 17. Both baldwin and Erickson averaged around 22 pts for the season and will be All-State. I would compare Sharidan County to probably finishing 6th in District 4 and the same in District 3. A distant 6th because Cavalier and Central Valley who both finished 5th piled up alot of losses but were no real slouches. Cavalier even beat D/StT by 20 this year three days after D/stT topped DP. Cav and CV just didnt have the horses the teams above them had. Most seasons a team like theirs would have been a #3. But not this year. I think a great example of how much weaker Region 5 was is the fact that NS put Norton in early in game 1 and took her out because they didnt need her their opponent was so bad. In Region 2, she would have had to play the whole game especially since they ended up being a #2 seed or they would go home with a loss. You had to be at your absolute best to win each game in the region and even though FLPR probably played one of their best games of the year in the title it wasnt enough. The FLPR-MM game for the title was one of the best played girls basketball games i have ever seen. You couldnt even fault FLPR at all by saying well if they could have done this or wouldnt have done they they would have won. It would have taken them shooting 60% from the field to win that game bottom line.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:28 pm

baller01 wrote:Lindsey Sand out of Steele-Dawson is one pt guard to keep and eye out for. Coach Sand's daughter who does a lot of things right for the Pirates. Only a sophomore too...

Lindsey is amazing, her sister Mallory right now is the best girl to come out of Steele i believe, but by the time Lindsey graduates i think she might be the best.  If he outside shooting gets better (its not bad right now to begin with) she will be better then her sister. i enjoy watching her play
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:32 pm

baseball wrote:
baller01 wrote:Lindsey Sand out of Steele-Dawson is one pt guard to keep and eye out for. Coach Sand's daughter who does a lot of things right for the Pirates. Only a sophomore too...

Lindsey is amazing, her sister Mallory right now is the best girl to come out of Steele i believe, but by the time Lindsey graduates i think she might be the best.  If he outside shooting gets better (its not bad right now to begin with) she will be better then her sister. i enjoy watching her play

lindsey set the team's single-season record with 99 assists going into the regional tournament if i remember right. definately be fun to see her on state stage.
rep

Postby InTheKnow » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:03 pm

rep wrote:
baseball wrote:

lindsey set the team's single-season record with 99 assists going into the regional tournament if i remember right. definately be fun to see her on state stage.

Dickson for M-M was around 160 assists going into regionals at 7.2 a game.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:46 pm

InTheKnow wrote:
rep wrote:
baseball wrote:

I stand corrected she is averaging 7.5 assists a game so she has 195 going into state through 26 games.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:18 pm

InTheKnow wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:
rep wrote:
baseball wrote:

I stand corrected she is averaging 7.5 assists a game so she has 195 going into state through 26 games.

yup...good player. make an even better college player.
rep

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:59 am

I watched Kindred once this year, and their gaurd play was great. Maybe, not handling the ball, but shooting from the outside was amazing. The guards did fine getting the ball up and down the floor on a consistant basis, seldom turning the ball over. They put up 83 against a good team in Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page. Their shooting was amazing.  I think they could have beat any team in the state with how they were shooting. But that was just one game, so I wouldn't know how good they actually are. They did make it to state so they must be good though.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby roughrider125 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:07 am

thunderbaseball_38 wrote:I watched Kindred once this year, and their gaurd play was great. Maybe, not handling the ball, but shooting from the outside was amazing. The guards did fine getting the ball up and down the floor on a consistant basis, seldom turning the ball over. They put up 83 against a good team in Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page. Their shooting was amazing.  I think they could have beat any team in the state with how they were shooting. But that was just one game, so I wouldn't know how good they actually are. They did make it to state so they must be good though.

I agree their guard play is their strength...but the three-point shooting is very streaky from what i've heard.  Bindas is pretty consistant in her scoring because it comes off the drive..not usually the shot...I will say, when they are on-they're on-and it is hard to stop them.  If they make it to the last game...it will be because of their outside shooting.
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Return to Girls