State Tournament

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby rep » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:43 am

I will fill in as much as I can when I get back from Region 3 championship.

[align=center]Opening Round[/align]
(Minnewaukan-Leeds) Region 4 vs. Region 7 (Bowman)

(Steele-Dawson) Region 3 vs. Region 6 (Bottineau)

(Midway-Minto) Region 2 vs. Region 5 (New Salem)

(Kindred) Region 1 vs. Region 8 (New Town)
Last edited by rep on Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby rep » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:45 pm

and then the next question becomes, who has records for these teams?

i've got steele-dawson at 23-1...sound right?

midway-minto is 22-4?

bottineau is 24-2?

minneawukan-leeds 24-1?

new salem 24-1?

kindred 22-2?

new town 19-6?

bowman has one loss...anone know how many wins?
Last edited by rep on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby ranger » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:59 pm

Bowman lost 1 game this season.  Lost to Steele Dawson in the Linton Shootout.
ranger
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:06 pm

ranger wrote:Bowman lost 1 game this season.  Lost to Steele Dawson in the Linton Shootout.

what were these teams ranked in the final poll?? i know NS was 1
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:22 pm

baseball wrote:
ranger wrote:Bowman lost 1 game this season.  Lost to Steele Dawson in the Linton Shootout.

what were these teams ranked in the final poll?? i know NS was 1

i have the last girls' poll tacked up to my cubicle at work...i can post it when i get back from districts...off hand i think that minnleeds was something like 2, bottno was 3 (maybe they were two?), hatton-northwood was 4, steele-dawson was 5 and then i draw a blank until lamoure tied with a couple of other teams for 9th.

edit: according to dix press article, minn-leeds was ranked sixth
Last edited by rep on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby Watcher 007 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:05 am

First round picks:

Bowman over ML

Bottineau over SD

MM over New Salem

Kindred over New Town

Anyone else?

Watcher 007
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:15 am

how can a team not rated be picked to win over the #1 ranked team in state? What are your thoughts behind that prediction?
bigpoppakdog

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:51 am

State tournament expierience.....2nd place last year and returned ALOT....
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby rkmt » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:52 am

Watcher 007 wrote:First round picks:

Bowman over ML

Bottineau over SD

MM over New Salem

Kindred over New Town

Anyone else?

I will concur with those picks.  I don't know much about the ML-Bowman matchup however so that's a guess on my part. 

There's a valid question on picking an unranked team over a #1, so I'll say why I am.  I'm picking MIdway-Minto over New Salem because Midway MInto was in a region with several ranked teams beating up on each other and knocking each other down in the polls at times.  Stick them in a softer region and they could be undefeated and ranked #1 or #2.  Yet that competition they faced will serve them well.  They successfully avenged all their losses, and they also beat the #2 team in the state, and are the only ones to do so in 2 years except when Botno sat several players in their loss to Velva.  So my reasons: Midway-MInto's competition is very strong and they are a very disciplined team, they can play whatever style they need to.  They are great defensively, good overall ball movement, and anyone on the court can shoot at a given time.   I'm guessing these things can be said about New Salem too, so maybe it's just a gut feeling about how Midway-Minto finds a way to get it done when it matters.  It should be one of the better 1st round games.  No doubt the one team that has more senior leadership with state tourney experience than Midway-Minto is New Salem.
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby Diamond D » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:02 am

I am going to second that.

Midway Minto over New Salem.  I just have alot of faith in Randy Rice and his team.  Very disciplined. 

Other pics will be Bowman, Steele, and Kindred.

Diamond D

Postby hoop_fan1 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:11 am

rkmt wrote:

Bowman over ML

Bottineau over SD

MM over New Salem

Kindred over New Town

Anyone else?

I will concur with those picks.  I don't know much about the ML-Bowman matchup however so that's a guess on my part. 

There's a valid question on picking an unranked team over a #1, so I'll say why I am.  I'm picking MIdway-Minto over New Salem because Midway MInto was in a region with several ranked teams beating up on each other and knocking each other down in the polls at times.  Stick them in a softer region and they could be undefeated and ranked #1 or #2.  Yet that competition they faced will serve them well.  They successfully avenged all their losses, and they also beat the #2 team in the state, and are the only ones to do so in 2 years except when Botno sat several players in their loss to Velva.  So my reasons: Midway-MInto's competition is very strong and they are a very disciplined team, they can play whatever style they need to.  They are great defensively, good overall ball movement, and anyone on the court can shoot at a given time.   I'm guessing these things can be said about New Salem too, so maybe it's just a gut feeling about how Midway-Minto finds a way to get it done when it matters.  It should be one of the better 1st round games.  No doubt the one team that has more senior leadership with state tourney experience than Midway-Minto is New Salem.

I am a little biased as I have watched primarily Region 2 ball this year.  But I will agree with statements made by rkmt.  How many teams in R-2 were ranked this year?  M-M, FLPR, H-N, DP, D-ST.  like rkmt said, these teams all beat up on each other, M-M was 2nd place last year, basically lost no one from last year's team, and are undoubtedly playing their best ball of the year by far.  That is the biggest key I think, they are peaking right now & their confidence is thru the roof. 

However, knowing New Salem's experience, this will arguably be the best game of the tournament.  Does somebody have the stats on New Salem's players?  How deep do they go on the bench?  

if you are going to beat M-M, you better have twin towers with D-I skills or 4 average size girls that can light it up, or they will shut you down.  M-M weakness is their offense, and in the last three games, against tough opponents, they were able to get enough offense to win. 

other comments on these two teams?
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:14 am

hoop_fan1 wrote:
rkmt wrote:

Bowman over ML

Bottineau over SD

MM over New Salem

Kindred over New Town

Anyone else?

I am a little biased as I have watched primarily Region 2 ball this year.  But I will agree with statements made by rkmt.  How many teams in R-2 were ranked this year?  M-M, FLPR, H-N, DP, D-ST.  like rkmt said, these teams all beat up on each other, M-M was 2nd place last year, basically lost no one from last year's team, and are undoubtedly playing their best ball of the year by far.  That is the biggest key I think, they are peaking right now & their confidence is thru the roof. 

However, knowing New Salem's experience, this will arguably be the best game of the tournament.  Does somebody have the stats on New Salem's players?  How deep do they go on the bench?  

if you are going to beat M-M, you better have twin towers with D-I skills or 4 average size girls that can light it up, or they will shut you down.  M-M weakness is their offense, and in the last three games, against tough opponents, they were able to get enough offense to win. 

Hillsboro as well
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Devils » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:23 am

Bowman to take it all
Devils
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:27 am

Being a head boys bball coach, I haven't watched much girls bball this season but I have kept up by reading alot about teams in the papers.  I wouldn't write off Mwkn/Leeds in the 1st round game.  I know they don't have any state tournament experience, but they are a very experienced team having all played together on varsity over the past 3-4 years.  I don't know anything about Bowman, but ML plays a very fast paced, pressure defense and if they get Bowman rattled or they just can't handle the pressure ML will win in the 1st round.  I think the first 3 quarterfinals are all going to be great games, as well as the entire tournament!
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:05 am

New Salems bench is talented, unfortunately they haven't logged very many minutes. New Salem hasn't blown out teams to where the bench can get alot of playing time. New Salem brings the most experience to the state tourney having been there now 3 years in a row...but also probably the easiest to scout due to team being pretty much the same the past 3 years also...

what is the word on New Salem from the other parts of the state?
bigpoppakdog

Postby Biff » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:27 am

New Salem is overrated - haven been all year long.  One of the weakest regions in the State.
Biff
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hoop_fan1 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:45 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:New Salems bench is talented, unfortunately they haven't logged very many minutes. New Salem hasn't blown out teams to where the bench can get alot of playing time. New Salem brings the most experience to the state tourney having been there now 3 years in a row...but also probably the easiest to scout due to team being pretty much the same the past 3 years also...

what is the word on New Salem from the other parts of the state?

Did not realize it had been 3 in a row.  So do they only play 5 players?  That sounds like a lot of time on the floor.  Someone must come off the bench to provide fresh legs?  They will not survive M-M defense if they don't sub.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hoop_fan1 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:47 am

The Schwab wrote:
hoop_fan1 wrote:
rkmt wrote:

Bowman over ML

Bottineau over SD

MM over New Salem

Kindred over New Town

Anyone else?

Hillsboro as well

Thank you, i was going to write down hillsboro, but wasn't positive.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:55 pm

rkmt wrote:

Bowman over ML

Bottineau over SD

MM over New Salem

Kindred over New Town

Anyone else?

Region 2 was beyond difficult! In my following north dakota hs basketball for the past 15 years i do not believe i have EVER seen 6 teams from the same region ranked or receiving votes at the same time boys or girls, and region 2 had that this year.   M-M, H-N, and DP were all ranked as high as #4 at one time over the course of the season and D/St T and FL/PR were both ranked as high as i believe 7 at one point. M-M's only losses this year- H-N to open the season, Drayton/St T in their first meeting on the road, FL/PR on the road and in Districts at PR. Rather quality losses and they avenged all three of them this week. My guess is 5 of those teams would have easily won at least 4 other regions and could possibly have won all of them. Not trying to disrespect any of the other regions but I have not see this much talent in teams that went home early before. It really has been uncomparable.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby pbhoopsters » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:40 pm

I believe Region 2 and Region 7 are the two toughest regions in the State. I have Bowman and Midway/Minto in the finals. Both fine teams but I will give the edge to MM.
pbhoopsters

Postby sioux10 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:49 pm

pbhoopsters wrote:I believe Region 2 and Region 7 are the two toughest regions in the State. I have Bowman and Midway/Minto in the finals. Both fine teams but I will give the edge to MM.

You thought that FL/PR was going to come out of Region 2 and beat MM.  Now you're expecting MM to win it all?
sioux10

Postby Carl08 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:13 pm

Kindred.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:34 pm

I still love how ML gets no respect. They have only lost one game by 3 points and that was early in the year. They beat Kindred rather handily. The final score doesnt show it, but if you were at the game you would know exactly what Im talking about. I would not write those girls off, they are a well balanced team who play an uptempo game. They force a lot of turnovers with their defense and get a lot of points off of them.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby cardinal10 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:11 am

Minn.-Leeds over Bowman

Bottineau over Steele-Dawson

New Salem over Midway-Minto

Kindred over New Town

The first 3 games will be very close.  My reasoning:  M-L and Bottineau are the more athletic teams and New Salem has the best player in Class B in Norton.  Kindred should beat New Town fairly easily.
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Postby hoop_fan1 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:38 am

NATURAL TALENT wrote:I still love how ML gets no respect. They have only lost one game by 3 points and that was early in the year. They beat Kindred rather handily. The final score doesnt show it, but if you were at the game you would know exactly what Im talking about. I would not write those girls off, they are a well balanced team who play an uptempo game. They force a lot of turnovers with their defense and get a lot of points off of them.

Who is  the leader of the ML team?  Are they a bunch of seniors? When during the season did they beat Kindred?
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Girls