State Tournament

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby project-pat » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:55 pm

Stromer wrote:Heres my take

1. Minnewaukan Leeds
2. Kindred
3. Bottineau
4. Midway Minto
5. Steele Dawson
6. New Salem
7. New Town
8. Bowman

How does bowman not get any love? They only have 1 loss and that came in the 2nd or 3rd game of the season to S-D. They only lost by like 4....they have changed alot since the beginnning of the season.
project-pat

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:36 pm

are you serious? you havent given anyone but your hometown respect.....:poke:ML lost their 4th game of the season by 3 points. Worst game by far this season(lots of TO's). They avenged that loss later in the season and besides a late 4th quarter comeback by AE, they still won by 8, they led by up to 20. Im with Stromer and ndlionsfan, GO LIONS!!! MAKE BENSON COUNTY PROUD!!!

Oh yeah, me and the ML crowd will be partying at the Comfort. Stop on by, bring your poker money!haha
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Stromer » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:08 pm

project-pat wrote:
Stromer wrote:Heres my take

1. Minnewaukan Leeds
2. Kindred
3. Bottineau
4. Midway Minto
5. Steele Dawson
6. New Salem
7. New Town
8. Bowman

How does bowman not get any love? They only have 1 loss and that came in the 2nd or 3rd game of the season to S-D. They only lost by like 4....they have changed alot since the beginnning of the season.

Well i havent seen them play but I just can't see the quality out west being as good as in the east.  I admit the ML is based on who I want to win but there rest is a crap shoot.  So if you lose to ML your on the way to fufilling my prediciton.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Stromer » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:10 pm

NATURAL TALENT wrote:are you serious? you havent given anyone but your hometown respect.....:poke:ML lost their 4th game of the season by 3 points. Worst game by far this season(lots of TO's). They avenged that loss later in the season and besides a late 4th quarter comeback by AE, they still won by 8, they led by up to 20. Im with Stromer and ndlionsfan, GO LIONS!!! MAKE BENSON COUNTY PROUD!!!

Oh yeah, me and the ML crowd will be partying at the Comfort. Stop on by, bring your poker money!haha

Sounds sweet but I think I'll be sittin in GF watching them on tv.  Good thing they play the early game on thursday cause I prob won't remember anything that night.
Hater of the NC$$

Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby project-pat » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:31 pm

NATURAL TALENT wrote:are you serious? you havent given anyone but your hometown respect.....:poke:ML lost their 4th game of the season by 3 points. Worst game by far this season(lots of TO's). They avenged that loss later in the season and besides a late 4th quarter comeback by AE, they still won by 8, they led by up to 20. Im with Stromer and ndlionsfan, GO LIONS!!! MAKE BENSON COUNTY PROUD!!!

I would but I'm staying at some no name 20 room motel. I booked too late. That would be pretty awkward anyway, playing poker after my team beat yours, haha jk. It should be an interesting contest. I got a chance to watch ML on tape and was pretty impressed. Good luck to all teams.
project-pat

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:46 pm

Should be calling today to get rooms, I'd bet there will be quite a few cancellations with this weather going on. Whether or not they were putting people on waiting lists or not I guess.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby porter_55 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:53 pm

polls in class b basketball aren't always very accurate because the pollsters don't know enough about every team to cast an honest vote, the reason that New Salem was #1 early on in the season was because then ranked #1 Bottineau lost and New Salem was ranked 2nd.  So you can't base all of your picks on the polls
porter_55

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:11 pm

porter_55 wrote:polls in class b basketball aren't always very accurate because the pollsters don't know enough about every team to cast an honest vote, the reason that New Salem was #1 early on in the season was because then ranked #1 Bottineau lost and New Salem was ranked 2nd.  So you can't base all of your picks on the polls

The Bottineau loss was to M-M as well. At this point in the season throw out the records and the polls. With the exception of the Minot tournament there is not much for cross state matchups to get a feel for who is what. The one thing polls do not take into account is strength of a region, just wether they lost or won so it isnt really that accurate.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:58 pm

Im taking Minn-Leeds because they are obviously the darkhorse team and they are probably the most athletic, most conditioned team in the tourney and that plays right into their uptempo game plan. They play hardnose, full court defense that causes a lot of fits for most teams. Im looking for them to be the cindrella team.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:29 pm

Ok it is time to put up or shut up. I only got one game wrong for region 2 (DP/FLPR) but picked MM correctly to win anyway so lets see what happens.

[font=Times New Roman]1. MM[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]2. Bottineau[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]3. Kindred[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]4. ML[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]5. New Salem[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]6. SD[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]7. Bowman[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]8. New Town[/font]

Here is why I have M-M cutting down the nets.

#1- Experience- Dickson, K Schuster, and Alphson are all 4 year starters and played varsity extensively as 8th graders. Schanilec and S Schuster are three year starters. They know what it takes to get to the title game. They have played the best the state has to offer the entire season. Nothing will be new to them. There isnt one position that gives them problems from opponents. They have faced future UND post players as well as future 3 time all state selections at the point, and forwards. All of that hasnt effected their winning when it counted the most. They have beaten deadly three point shooting teams who have shot 50% for the game, as well as pound it in to the post teams (and that was in regionals alone).

#2- Defense wins championships- Their game is defense and hustle. They create easy points off of turnovers and all run the floor really well in transition. They pressure, pressure, and pressure some more. Inbounding the ball can become a challenge against this team and was an extreme one for teams at regionals as they forced 5 five second calls on inbounds.

#3- Have the ability to play any style of game well- Preferably they like to control the tempo but if someone wants to run they have no problem in doing so as they have the speed and the point guard to do just that. I am comfortable making that statement because i watched a Midway team (before the co-op) with Dickson, Alphson, and Schanilec as Freshman and 8th graders run a JR/SR laden Central Valley team to death by like 45 points. All three teams tried to do that at regionals and got ran out of the gym. If this team had a little more depth you would probably see a change in style as they would probably try and run the whole game.

#4- The trump card, they have Dickson and everybody else doesnt- Her leadership, floor game, defense, court vision, and athletic ability makes her the key to this team. If needed she will go out and score but she usually doesnt have to because she creates so many easy opportunities for her teamates. I guarantee she will do something in this tournament wether it is jumping over press row in one step or diving face first into the bleachers saving a ball that will make every one go wow. She had at least 4 of them in the regionals where you say "how did she do that". She will sacrafice her body for her team, and if anybody is worried about her getting hurt she is tougher then at least 75% of the boys. If you dont believe me watch her block baseballs in the dirt as a catcher on the baseball team.

#5- K Schuster needs .001 seconds to get off a shot- Double team her, triple team her it doesnt matter. She has one of the quickest catch and releases i have ever seen and when she gets rolling is deadly.

Throw out M-M's four losses at this point of the season. The three games they put together in regionals was far and beyond anything they put together at last years state tournament. They are playing the best basketball they have ever played right now. They were one game short last year, avenged that loss early this year and are hungry to take that top spot this time around.
Last edited by InTheKnow on Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoop_fan1 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:07 am

Interesting stat- every team that lost yesterday...

got outrebounded.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby porter_55 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:17 am

another interesting stat is that three of the four teams that won were from the west, and bottineau and steele are somewhat in the middle, but regions 5, 6, 7, and 8 won yesterday.
porter_55

Postby hoop_fan1 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:21 am

Also- the Schuster's took 68% of M-M's shots.  it would be interesting to see the shots broke down-1st half/2nd half.  I didn't see the game, what do others think.

In regionals, everyone contributed- that's how they got to state. 
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Stromer » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:37 am

Well I am off to a great start on my picks.  3 out of 4 wrong and Bottineau tried their hardest to get that one wrong as well.  If anybody needs me to jinx their opponents, just give a shout out.
Hater of the NC$$

Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gator-nation » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:13 am

what does everyone think about the bowman vs. botno game?
Last edited by gator-nation on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
gator-nation

Postby cardinal10 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:27 am

Wow!  I didn't read every post in this thread, but the common theme is that everyone most people on this site thought would do well really haven't,  and the #1 and #2 ranked teams for most of the season are playing for the State Title.  I give the sportswriters credit on this one.
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:54 am

I see Steele-Dawson defeated M-M in the 7th place game.  According to the stats on NDHSAA it has M-M at 26% FG for the tourney.  I for one thought they would at least be in the winners bracket, but 8th place?  I know 3 bad games doesn't tell the whole tale of what kind of team they are, but was Region 2 on the overrated side?  I don't mean to start any arguments, I'm just trying to figure it out.  Can anyone help me?
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rkmt » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:36 am

ndsportsfan98 wrote:I see Steele-Dawson defeated M-M in the 7th place game.  According to the stats on NDHSAA it has M-M at 26% FG for the tourney.  I for one thought they would at least be in the winners bracket, but 8th place?  I know 3 bad games doesn't tell the whole tale of what kind of team they are, but was Region 2 on the overrated side?  I don't mean to start any arguments, I'm just trying to figure it out.  Can anyone help me?

I've said it before, region 2 wasn't overrated for having the most state caliber teams top to bottom.  I truly understand why people are thinking that now, however.  Midway-minto tanked it, simple as that.  They did play the best 3 games in the region tourney, avenged all their losses etc... so they deserved to go to state, but I think a couple other teams from Region 2 would have matched up better with New Salem and at least given New Salem a game.  IMO you owe not only yourself, but your whole region the best performance you can put out to represent them at state, and wow, M-M fell short there.  I'll bet there are about 5 teams in REgion 2 that are saying "what if".  But no one's fault but their own I guess.  But quite a disappointment because people are not only questioning M-M but teams like Dakota Prairie as well, and if we'd seen them at state, I don't think people would be questioning Region 2 right now.
Last edited by rkmt on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:36 pm

I can not remember the last time a team from region 2 in boys or girls bball got 8th place.....can anyone help me out with this? i think it might be hillsboro in 99.....but i think they got 7th...not certain.
Last edited by The Schwab on Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:39 pm

The Schwab wrote:I can not remember the last time a team from region 2 in boys or girls bball got 8th place.....can anyone help me out with this?

I dont recall either. The Schusters shot terrible all three games. Worst part is they kept shooting and shooting. Although most of their misses were easy layups. Dickson needed to put the team on her shoulders and go to the basket much more. She could have scored at will getting to the paint.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:40 pm

Lets hope the officials dont play a big role in the title game. They have been an embarasment so far! A complete embarasment in every game for both teams. When all the fans in the building get to the point of laughing at calls you know its bad. Should be a great title game.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby pbhoopsters » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:57 pm

rkmt wrote:
ndsportsfan98 wrote:I see Steele-Dawson defeated M-M in the 7th place game.  According to the stats on NDHSAA it has M-M at 26% FG for the tourney.  I for one thought they would at least be in the winners bracket, but 8th place?  I know 3 bad games doesn't tell the whole tale of what kind of team they are, but was Region 2 on the overrated side?  I don't mean to start any arguments, I'm just trying to figure it out.  Can anyone help me?

I've said it before, region 2 wasn't overrated for having the most state caliber teams top to bottom.  I truly understand why people are thinking that now, however.  Midway-minto tanked it, simple as that.  They did play the best 3 games in the region tourney, avenged all their losses etc... so they deserved to go to state, but I think a couple other teams from Region 2 would have matched up better with New Salem and at least given New Salem a game.  IMO you owe not only yourself, but your whole region the best performance you can put out to represent them at state, and wow, M-M fell short there.  I'll bet there are about 5 teams in REgion 2 that are saying "what if".  But no one's fault but their own I guess.  But quite a disappointment because people are not only questioning M-M but teams like Dakota Prairie as well, and if we'd seen them at state, I don't think people would be questioning Region 2 right now.
I think many of us are stunned by the play of MM in this tournament. I thought they would be in the championship game not only based on Region 2 play but also on the fact that they beat Bottineau earlier in the season. Somehow I don't see the team that played in the tournament coming close to beating Bottineau now.  I do not understand what appears to have been a total breakdown.
pbhoopsters

Postby commonsense » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:52 pm

I agree, the officiating has been terrible.  I am usually not one to complain about the officials but it has been totally inconsistent.  Muggings in the paint with nothing called and then little touch things that haven't even affected the play outside being called.  If there were a sportsmanship award given this year, I'm not sure any team would win one because of all the complaining about officiating.  Maybe we should go back to two person crews....at least then they moved and got in position.  And they also weren't concerned with making a call that was in another guy's area.  I have been hearing that excuse from officials in 3-man crews all year.  Good luck to Botno and New Salem.
commonsense

Postby rep » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:49 pm

pbhoopsters wrote:
rkmt wrote:

I think many of us are stunned by the play of MM in this tournament. I thought they would be in the championship game not only based on Region 2 play but also on the fact that they beat Bottineau earlier in the season. Somehow I don't see the team that played in the tournament coming close to beating Bottineau now.  I do not understand what appears to have been a total breakdown.

i don't think i'm stunned by midway-minto finishing eighth...they very well could have been playing for fifth, that kindred game was a close one.

as far as i can tell, every team has had one close game in tournament....so it isn't like there was a team that got blown out by 30 for three straight games. all in all, it was a really decent tourney competition-wise and i don't think that there is any shame in being the eighth-best team in this field...play the games again in a week and i think it could shake out completely different.
rep

Postby Y-not Daily » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:28 pm

Might want to think about a name change after those selections.

Region 2 is big-time overrated... Region 6 is the best region in girls basketball and has been for some time. I'd put up Kenmare, Bishop Ryan, Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood, Velva and Our Redeemer's up against those also-rans in Region 6 any day.

[user=215]InTheKnow[/user] wrote:
Ok it is time to put up or shut up. I only got one game wrong for region 2 (DP/FLPR) but picked MM correctly to win anyway so lets see what happens.

[font=Times New Roman]1. MM[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]2. Bottineau[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]3. Kindred[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]4. ML[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]5. New Salem[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]6. SD[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]7. Bowman[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]8. New Town[/font]

Here is why I have M-M cutting down the nets.

#1- Experience- Dickson, K Schuster, and Alphson are all 4 year starters and played varsity extensively as 8th graders. Schanilec and S Schuster are three year starters. They know what it takes to get to the title game. They have played the best the state has to offer the entire season. Nothing will be new to them. There isnt one position that gives them problems from opponents. They have faced future UND post players as well as future 3 time all state selections at the point, and forwards. All of that hasnt effected their winning when it counted the most. They have beaten deadly three point shooting teams who have shot 50% for the game, as well as pound it in to the post teams (and that was in regionals alone).

#2- Defense wins championships- Their game is defense and hustle. They create easy points off of turnovers and all run the floor really well in transition. They pressure, pressure, and pressure some more. Inbounding the ball can become a challenge against this team and was an extreme one for teams at regionals as they forced 5 five second calls on inbounds.

#3- Have the ability to play any style of game well- Preferably they like to control the tempo but if someone wants to run they have no problem in doing so as they have the speed and the point guard to do just that. I am comfortable making that statement because i watched a Midway team (before the co-op) with Dickson, Alphson, and Schanilec as Freshman and 8th graders run a JR/SR laden Central Valley team to death by like 45 points. All three teams tried to do that at regionals and got ran out of the gym. If this team had a little more depth you would probably see a change in style as they would probably try and run the whole game.

#4- The trump card, they have Dickson and everybody else doesnt- Her leadership, floor game, defense, court vision, and athletic ability makes her the key to this team. If needed she will go out and score but she usually doesnt have to because she creates so many easy opportunities for her teamates. I guarantee she will do something in this tournament wether it is jumping over press row in one step or diving face first into the bleachers saving a ball that will make every one go wow. She had at least 4 of them in the regionals where you say "how did she do that". She will sacrafice her body for her team, and if anybody is worried about her getting hurt she is tougher then at least 75% of the boys. If you dont believe me watch her block baseballs in the dirt as a catcher on the baseball team.

#5- K Schuster needs .001 seconds to get off a shot- Double team her, triple team her it doesnt matter. She has one of the quickest catch and releases i have ever seen and when she gets rolling is deadly.

Throw out M-M's four losses at this point of the season. The three games they put together in regionals was far and beyond anything they put together at last years state tournament. They are playing the best basketball they have ever played right now. They were one game short last year, avenged that loss early this year and are hungry to take that top spot this time around.
Y-not Daily

PreviousNext

Return to Girls