State Tournament

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby bbjay » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:10 am

cardinal10 wrote:Minn.-Leeds over Bowman

Bottineau over Steele-Dawson

New Salem over Midway-Minto

Kindred over New Town

The first 3 games will be very close.  My reasoning:  M-L and Bottineau are the more athletic teams and New Salem has the best player in Class B in Norton.  Kindred should beat New Town fairly easily.

I'll go with:

Bowman

Bottineau

MM

Kindred

With Bottineau meeting Kindred in the title game and Botno prevailing.

75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:04 am

hoop_fan1 wrote:
NATURAL TALENT wrote:I still love how ML gets no respect. They have only lost one game by 3 points and that was early in the year. They beat Kindred rather handily. The final score doesnt show it, but if you were at the game you would know exactly what Im talking about. I would not write those girls off, they are a well balanced team who play an uptempo game. They force a lot of turnovers with their defense and get a lot of points off of them.

Who is  the leader of the ML team?  Are they a bunch of seniors? When during the season did they beat Kindred?

They're led by seniors Dawn Teigen and Hope Keller, and soph Bobbi Grann.  Jr Jordan Callahan is also playing really well right now.  Plus they have 4-5 other players who are pretty good.  They beat Kindred in the Hoopster classic in Bismarck at the beginning of Dec.
Last edited by ndlionsfan on Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby cardinal10 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:01 am

SCC wrote:
cardinal10 wrote:Minn.-Leeds over Bowman

Kindred over New Town

The first 3 games will be very close.  My reasoning:  M-L and Bottineau are the more athletic teams and New Salem has the best player in Class B in Norton.  Kindred should beat New Town fairly easily.

I think there's a few region 2 teams that would debate who the best player is in Class B.

Your right, I meant best player playing in the State Tournament.  Gillette from DP is probably the best B player overall.
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Postby gmac90 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:12 am

New Salem does sub, so fresh legs shouldn't be a problem.  The Toepke girl who is the first off the bench would probably start on any other team in the state, it's just that New Salem has too many good guards.  Her sister's only a sophomore, but she comes off the bench and contributes too.
Go Big or Go Home
gmac90
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:30 am

gmac90 wrote:New Salem does sub, so fresh legs shouldn't be a problem.  The Toepke girl who is the first off the bench would probably start on any other team in the state, it's just that New Salem has too many good guards.  Her sister's only a sophomore, but she comes off the bench and contributes too.

Broad statement considering she wouldnt start for M-M, FL/PR, and probably DP just from region 2. Sounds like Kindred has a few guards that can light it up as well.

I think the big thing everyone needs to take into account is how M-M and New Salem did last year at state because they are basically the exact same teams as last year and came from the same bracket. M-M made it to the title game and New Salem took dead last losing to both teams M-M beat to get to the title game. What was New Salems record entering state last year. It is easy to climb the polls when you are playing easy competiton during the regular season that you SHOULD beat and not teams that you have to play great (not just good, great) game in and game out or you go home with a loss. On top of that M-M put together a three game stretch of play that they werent even close to as a team last year at state and that is saying alot.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballfan1 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:33 am

InTheKnow wrote:
gmac90 wrote:New Salem does sub, so fresh legs shouldn't be a problem.  The Toepke girl who is the first off the bench would probably start on any other team in the state, it's just that New Salem has too many good guards.  Her sister's only a sophomore, but she comes off the bench and contributes too.

Broad statement considering she wouldnt start for M-M, FL/PR, and probably DP just from region 2. Sounds like Kindred has a few guards that can light it up as well.

I think the big thing everyone needs to take into account is how M-M and New Salem did last year at state because they are basically the exact same teams as last year and came from the same bracket. M-M made it to the title game and New Salem took dead last losing to both teams M-M beat to get to the title game. What was New Salems record entering state last year. It is easy to climb the polls when you are playing easy competiton during the regular season that you SHOULD beat and not teams that you have to play great (not just good, great) game in and game out or you go home with a loss. On top of that M-M put together a three game stretch of play that they werent even close to as a team last year at state and that is saying alot.
Kindred was there also last year and hardly lost anyone.  They won two games there and took third.  They're a senior heavy team with lots of experience.
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:08 am

[user=1724]bballfan1[/user] wrote:
Kindred was there also last year and hardly lost anyone.  They won two games there and took third.  They're a senior heavy team with lots of experience.

I was refering more to the New Salem/M-M matchup. Kindred will make some noise in the tournament as they did last year. They shoot the ball well from the outside which can be deadly. However, after watching the way M-M played tuesday and thursday night I just dont see anyone beating them right now. FLPR shot like 54% from the field, Erickson and Ralston were unconscious scored 20 each and hit like 7 or 8 threes and it still didnt matter. The consensus knock on M-M is their offense or a lack of it, but which team scored the most points out of any team heading to state in the region title game, M-M. Also who is the only team to beat Bottineau when they have played their entire team at full strength the last three years, M-M.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:34 pm

rep wrote:I will fill in as much as I can when I get back from Region 3 championship.

[align=center]Opening Round[/align]
(Minnewaukan-Leeds) Region 4 vs. Region 7 (Bowman)

(Steele-Dawson) Region 3 vs. Region 6 (Bottineau)

(Midway-Minto) Region 2 vs. Region 5 (New Salem)

(Kindred) Region 1 vs. Region 8 (New Town)

Bowman over Minnewaukan-Leeds
Steele-Dawson over Bottineau
Kindred over New town

Bowman over Steele-Dawson
New Salem over Kindred

Bowman takes the title.
project-pat

Postby ranger » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:02 pm

:(Bowman does not use their subs, hence they will struggle against a good defensive team that is fast and quick like they are.
ranger
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gmac90 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:54 pm

Who exactly did Midway-Minto lose?
Go Big or Go Home
gmac90
NDPreps Starter

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:16 pm

ranger wrote::(Bowman does not use their subs, hence they will struggle against a good defensive team that is fast and quick like they are.

Exactly. ML plays uptempo even when teams try to slow them down. They are led by Hope Keller who has really been pouring it on lately, right around 13-14ppg, Dawn Teigen right around 12ppg, Bobbi Grann right around 12ppg, Jordan Callahan right around 8.5-9ppg, and Brandi Weed right around 6ppg. A very balanced team with a good bench, Im looking for them to bring it on home to Benson County.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoop_fan1 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:00 pm

I'm predicting this:

M-L over Bowman

M-M  over New Salem

Kindred over New Town

2nd round:  Bottineau in a 7 pt. game over M-L

M-M 1 pt. better than Kindred (maybe even overtime)

IN THE SHIP:

Bottineau by 7 over M-M

hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby tingly » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:06 pm

tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:22 pm

gmac90 wrote:Who exactly did Midway-Minto lose?

The only player they lost from last year that played at all was Amanda Barclay and she only averaged like 4 points a game and maybe 2-3 rebounds. Barclay did not start until the last week of the regular season because their #3 scorer in Kristin Alphson, who is a senior this year, tore her ACL and missed the post season. So basically they didnt lose anyone and added a three point threat in Alphson. They have much more talent off the bench this year as well with Soph Chelsey Lutovsky and Sr. Alisha Parkhurst (last years bench were two SRs that at most saw about 3 minutes each). Both provide alot of energy and scrappy defense. Against D/StT in the region Lutovsky scored on four straight possessions including picking soon to be named All State PG Sammie Baldwin clean on consecutive possessions and taking it the distance for lay ups.

This team is improved from last year, and no offense to Barclay, didnt really lose anything they havent completely made up for and then some.
Last edited by InTheKnow on Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby bestinthewest » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:06 pm

The NS-MM matchup seems to be a cointoss right now. no one can really agree on who's gonna win this one. Anyone have suggestions on how NS could beat MM and on how MM could beat NS? Seems like we need something better to argue about than just experience, considering there are 4 return-teams this year, experience is plentiful.
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Postby vballfan06 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:39 pm

Here's how I predict it will finish:

1. Bottineau

2. Midway-Minto

3. Kindred

4. Bowman

5. Steele-Dawson

6. New Salem

7. Minn-Leeds

8. New Town

I've seen 6 of the 8 teams play this year---and I just don't think New Salem is as fundamentally sound as some of the other teams in the field, nor do I think they shoot the ball well enough, or are physical enough to compete with the big dogs.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:23 pm

bestinthewest wrote:The NS-MM matchup seems to be a cointoss right now. no one can really agree on who's gonna win this one. Anyone have suggestions on how NS could beat MM and on how MM could beat NS? Seems like we need something better to argue about than just experience, considering there are 4 return-teams this year, experience is plentiful.

You are right. There is alot of experience back. But the underlying thing is what success did that experience have at the state level last year. The bottom line is it ended up #1 Bottineau, #2 M-M, #3 Kindred, and #8 New Salem last year. M-M already beat Bottineau this year.

M-M's record versus opponents that were ranked at one time this year is 6-4 (wins- Bottineau, D/St T twice, FLPR, H-N, A/E- Losses- D/StT, FLPR twice, H-N). New Salem is 2-1 (wins- steele/Dawson, Shilo- losses- Shilo). Shilo was ranked in the first poll and never again received votes the rest of the year. Shilo is the only other team that was either ranked or received votes in the entire region compared to 6 teams in the top 10 from region 2.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby basketballer » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:20 am

1. Kindred
2. S-D
3. M-M
4. Bowman
5. Bottineau
6. New Salem
7. New Town
8. M-L

Last edited by basketballer on Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
basketballer

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:26 am

I love how nobody is giving any respect to ML.  I'm guessing this is just because most people have not seen them play or heard much about them.  I'm not going to make any predictions about where everyone is going to place at state because I know nothing about the other teams.....I will say that ML will surprise a lot of people at this tournament, tho!
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby vballfan06 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:59 pm

you're probably right there ndlionsfan...i have not seen M-L play, but have seen the other 3 teams in their bracket play---and all 3 have impressed me.  They could be the darkhorse.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby Watcher 007 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:17 am

Here's my state placing:

1. Bowman County

2.M-M

3. Bottineau

4. Kindred

5. M-L

6. New Town

7. SD

8. New Salem
Watcher 007
NDPreps Starter

Postby Stromer » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:37 am

Heres my take

1. Minnewaukan Leeds
2. Kindred
3. Bottineau
4. Midway Minto
5. Steele Dawson
6. New Salem
7. New Town
8. Bowman
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:41 am

Just interested in seeing what type of response I will get with this statement: "New Salem Win's Girls State Tournament."
bigpoppakdog

Postby baseball » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:42 am

my pick is the winner of the Bottineau-SDWT game
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby pbhoopsters » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:13 am

sioux10 wrote:
pbhoopsters wrote:I believe Region 2 and Region 7 are the two toughest regions in the State. I have Bowman and Midway/Minto in the finals. Both fine teams but I will give the edge to MM.

You thought that FL/PR was going to come out of Region 2 and beat MM.  Now you're expecting MM to win it all?

Yes, I have alot of respect for Region 2. I think there were several teams in that region that could have had a legitimate shot at winning the State tournament. The way MM avenged their earlier losses to strong Region 2 teams, the way they handled Bottineau early in the season, plus their State tourney experience makes me think they are a good pick.

Yes, I did get it wrong with Fordville/Lankin. I did not do too bad in my Regional picks however. I got 5 out of 8 correct. I missed on Regions 2, 3 and 8. Considering I only get to see mostly Regions 1 and 2 I did not think I did too bad. I think everybody had a hard time with Region 2.
pbhoopsters

PreviousNext

Return to Girls