Region 2 Tournament

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby the unknown » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:44 am

i also was at the FLPR and DP game i also believe there was some traveling on the last play for FLPR not ONLY traveling but i think the ball was kicked, rolled out of bounds and brought back inbounds by FLPR and the dam bucket still counted!
the unknown

Postby thesports_guy32 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:33 am

InTheKnow wrote:
basketball wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:
sioux10 wrote:did anyone go to the Hatton-Northwood Midway-Minto game.  I thought HN would crush MM.  What happened?

What would make you think that they could crush M-M? The fact that they already played a 5 point game to open the season that no team lead by more then one at the quarter break the entire game. Did you forget that basically this exact same M-M team took second last year at state and up until last week was the only team to have beaten Bottineau in basically the past 3 years.

I was at the game and was not impressed with H-N's overall depth of tallent. They had two players and that was it. The rest of the team was average at best. Ridder was absolutely phenominal!!! She put on a clinic for most of the game. For those that have been giving her props on here, you are right. She can flat play! she had to have shot 75% for the game. However it was a one player show. Erickson was a non factor and yes she may have been slowed some but she never had the chance for much of a decent look the whole game. The one open three she had she drained and the desperate late three from 25 feet was big to give them a chance. But even if she was healthy the way the flow of the game was going i dont think it would have mattered. When M-M went to a zone H-N really looked like they didnt know what to do and stood around forever and had no answer for it. H-N looked extremely tired as the game went on and not in very good condition. M-M probably could have run them out of the gym the last 3-4 minutes of the game. Lanes early on that werent there for cuts were wide open the last 6 minutes and M-M exploited it. Quite frankly if M-M would have made just half of their pile of missed free throws and lay ups it would have been a 10+ point game in there favor. M-M had to have missed 10-15 open shots within 5-6 feet of the basket and probably around 50% at the line. They got lucky to survive missing that many gimmies.

If you are going to post on here please get the facts and names right.  Its Reiter and HN beat them by more than 5.  AND Hatton Northwood is in excellent shape, they have showed that throughout the year and you obviously havent watched them play very much.  AND YES if Ericson was at 100% she would have been a factor in the game because it is hard to play good when you cant move as well as you can.

And Thesports_guy32, I never took any credit away for M-M.  I was just saying that if Hatton Northwood would have played their game they would have won.

Sorry for not carrying my roster with me so I could spell the names correctly on here. In District 4 it is spelled EricKson. My mistake it is not spelled that way in District 3. After hearing Abby's last name a million times as she scored at will I spelled it as it sounded from the PA at the game. As far as the first game of the season it was an 8 point game not 5. Definately a big difference considering either way M-M was leading after three quarters. Ericson would have been a non factor no matter what because of the style of zone they were playing. It was not a passive let you shoot from the outside but more of a match up zone. Because of that she never had the chance to have much of a look at the basket and had to become more of a passive guard to move the ball and try and find Abby inside. When she had the chance to make the shots the ankle clearly didnt effect her as she hit her shots when she had them. As far as the conditioning part it was OBVIOUS with about 4 minutes left they were gassed. M-M controlled the tempo and it was an up and down pace. They were clearly tired and turnovers resulted.

If Midway-Minto would have not blown so many gimmie lay ups and free throws it would have been a 10 point plus victory and not just 3. Sorry but look at the FACTS of the stat sheet.

You're right about that zone, it was an aggressive zone but Ericson is more than just a 3-point shooter. If you know about ankle injuries then you know that planting, taking off, and stopping are affected the most. If her ankle was healthy she could've drove in and created shots or, at worst, created a shot for someone else. So if you think she would've been a non-factor, you're wrong. She's too good of a player to be a non-factor.
thesports_guy32

Postby pbhoopsters » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:26 am

HN had to rely too much on Abby. She looked good going to her left early. I thought MM should have zoned more. It was obvious HN was not getting much from the outside. If Ericson would have been healthy it may have been a different game. I personally think that had MM stayed in a zone the whole game they would have won by 10 or more.
pbhoopsters

Postby basketball4321 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:00 am

FLPR dosent deserve the win vs. DP and to be playing in the champ. game thrusday nite. Since that last point shouldnt have been counted because the ball went out of bounce, was kicked two times, and there was a travel before the shot. Not to mention 8 vs. 5 isnt something to be proud of.

GOOD LUCK TO MIDWAY-MINTO!!!!

Last edited by basketball4321 on Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
basketball4321

Postby sioux10 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:14 am

i can see BASKETBALL4321 is rooting for MM.  But, who do you think will take the Region 2 title
sioux10

Postby Diamond D » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:49 am

I really like both teams, but I am going to give Minto-Midway the edge here.  Randy is just an extremely talented coach.  He sees the game very well. 

I grew up playing against Randy and he has always had a love of the game of basketball.  He has always understood it and he is by far one of the best coaches in the state.

Coach Forde also is a pretty incredible coach.  I really respect the way he carries himself on and off the floor.  Great guy and great coach.  Too bad for DP, maybe next year....Jenna isn't leaving yet and she is by far a great threat to any team.  I think we will see some very strong things from her next year.

Diamond D

Postby spud84 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:30 pm

Does anyone know how well Fordville-Lankin and Park River finished last year? It seems to me that FL has always had a pretty good girls program and maybe the combination of PR is what they needed to get them state. I give them the edge over MM on thursday. Either way I am happy to see a D4 team making it to state.
spud84

Postby thesports_guy32 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:03 pm

PR was one of the last teams in the district last year. Heggen and a few role players are the only things they added to the FL team of last year.

if MM can avoid the foul trouble they had in their last meeting (district semi's) they will win this game. but i must admit, that hot shooting of FLPR is scary for any opposing team.
thesports_guy32

Postby hoop_fan1 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:27 pm

Diamond D wrote: 

I really like both teams, but I am going to give Minto-Midway the edge here.  Randy is just an extremely talented coach.  He sees the game very well. 

I grew up playing against Randy and he has always had a love of the game of basketball.  He has always understood it and he is by far one of the best coaches in the state.

Coach Forde also is a pretty incredible coach.  I really respect the way he carries himself on and off the floor.  Great guy and great coach.  Too bad for DP, maybe next year....Jenna isn't leaving yet and she is by far a great threat to any team.  I think we will see some very strong things from her next year.

I agree, those girls at M-M are some of the best coached kids I've seen.  You can just tell how well they listen-they are students of the game.  So I give the kids credit, but the coach has much to do with it.

As an unbiased spectator, I felt that M-M got away with alot of calls, but they play like that consistently.  They know exactly what they can get away with, and that is credit to the coaches and players for M-M-good defensive pressure.  D-ST, even if they had received every possible call in their favor, would not have won that game.  They looked scared and without emotion.  Will be interesting to see if either DP or D-ST will play with any emotion on Thursday.

I think M-M will win on thursday in a close one.  This team looks to be firing on all cylinders.  Jess Shanilec played excellent defense when she was on Baldwin, frustrated her at times.  FLPR will not get the 3pt shots off that they were able to against DP. 

I also thought that play at the end could have been stopped a couple times.  But I hate to say that it cost DP the game, because you have to play the entire game, and DP had their chances-missed some passes inside that would have resulted in the Gillettes going to the FT line or getting an easy turnaround. 
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby the unknown » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:09 pm

i also will pick MM out of this region..for one im hoping the reffing will be improved and also i dont think FLPR will be able to shoot like they were on tuesday
the unknown

Postby grywyn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:15 pm

Midway-Minto approach to the game is defense and then the offense will come along.

Watched them play both games when they defeated Drayton St.  Thomas it was proably the best high school game ive ever seen. They had four losses this season, they reversed that by beating Hatton- Northwood, Then drayton St. Thomas, now the just have FLPR left.

The way they are playing and there style of play and on the bigger floors I beleive they could go all they way and dont forget they did beat the defending champs earlier in the year.
grywyn
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:56 pm

thesports_guy32 wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:
basketball wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:
sioux10 wrote:did anyone go to the Hatton-Northwood Midway-Minto game.  I thought HN would crush MM.  What happened?

What would make you think that they could crush M-M? The fact that they already played a 5 point game to open the season that no team lead by more then one at the quarter break the entire game. Did you forget that basically this exact same M-M team took second last year at state and up until last week was the only team to have beaten Bottineau in basically the past 3 years.

I was at the game and was not impressed with H-N's overall depth of tallent. They had two players and that was it. The rest of the team was average at best. Ridder was absolutely phenominal!!! She put on a clinic for most of the game. For those that have been giving her props on here, you are right. She can flat play! she had to have shot 75% for the game. However it was a one player show. Erickson was a non factor and yes she may have been slowed some but she never had the chance for much of a decent look the whole game. The one open three she had she drained and the desperate late three from 25 feet was big to give them a chance. But even if she was healthy the way the flow of the game was going i dont think it would have mattered. When M-M went to a zone H-N really looked like they didnt know what to do and stood around forever and had no answer for it. H-N looked extremely tired as the game went on and not in very good condition. M-M probably could have run them out of the gym the last 3-4 minutes of the game. Lanes early on that werent there for cuts were wide open the last 6 minutes and M-M exploited it. Quite frankly if M-M would have made just half of their pile of missed free throws and lay ups it would have been a 10+ point game in there favor. M-M had to have missed 10-15 open shots within 5-6 feet of the basket and probably around 50% at the line. They got lucky to survive missing that many gimmies.

If you are going to post on here please get the facts and names right.  Its Reiter and HN beat them by more than 5.  AND Hatton Northwood is in excellent shape, they have showed that throughout the year and you obviously havent watched them play very much.  AND YES if Ericson was at 100% she would have been a factor in the game because it is hard to play good when you cant move as well as you can.

And Thesports_guy32, I never took any credit away for M-M.  I was just saying that if Hatton Northwood would have played their game they would have won.

Sorry for not carrying my roster with me so I could spell the names correctly on here. In District 4 it is spelled EricKson. My mistake it is not spelled that way in District 3. After hearing Abby's last name a million times as she scored at will I spelled it as it sounded from the PA at the game. As far as the first game of the season it was an 8 point game not 5. Definately a big difference considering either way M-M was leading after three quarters. Ericson would have been a non factor no matter what because of the style of zone they were playing. It was not a passive let you shoot from the outside but more of a match up zone. Because of that she never had the chance to have much of a look at the basket and had to become more of a passive guard to move the ball and try and find Abby inside. When she had the chance to make the shots the ankle clearly didnt effect her as she hit her shots when she had them. As far as the conditioning part it was OBVIOUS with about 4 minutes left they were gassed. M-M controlled the tempo and it was an up and down pace. They were clearly tired and turnovers resulted.

If Midway-Minto would have not blown so many gimmie lay ups and free throws it would have been a 10 point plus victory and not just 3. Sorry but look at the FACTS of the stat sheet.

You're right about that zone, it was an aggressive zone but Ericson is more than just a 3-point shooter. If you know about ankle injuries then you know that planting, taking off, and stopping are affected the most. If her ankle was healthy she could've drove in and created shots or, at worst, created a shot for someone else. So if you think she would've been a non-factor, you're wrong. She's too good of a player to be a non-factor.

By my saying she would be a non factor healthy anyway is not saying that she wouldnt have scored more or would not have created more opportunities for other teamates. Without a doubt you can tell by her athletic ability and how she moves on the floor that she is a good player. Was her ability to drive to the basket affected by her ankle, i would guess so. BUT, through the course of the game the ball was in Reiter's hands on every possession and she nearly scored at will. With Reiter scoring that frequently at a high percentage and M-M rebounding very well allowing mostly just one shot a possession, how would have Ericson made that much of a difference on the offensive end. M-M's ability to create turnovers on the defensive end early in possessions lead to alot of points in transition and was the difference in the game. Basically my point was you only get so many possessions and Reiter was taking 95% of the shots anyway. Because of the pace and their strugles against the zone and looking completely disorganized (excelent decision to go zone off of made baskets and man on everything else, they clearly took 4-5 possessions to realize they were switching) thats why I said she was a non factor healthy or not. I in no way was implying she is not a good player because she is. Just taking the facts of the whole game into account. Reiter and Ericson both cant score on the same possession.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby pbhoopsters » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:01 pm

I Like Fordville/Lankin/PR. Folks talk about the defense of MM but FLPR does not hurt in this area of the game either. I think their team is firing on all cylinders and will come out of the Region as Champions. As a Region 1 observer, I think either team will do the Region proud. I think Region 2 and Region 7 are the toughest Regions in the State this year.

As an aside, can anyone remember so many sets of sisters playing in one tournament? The Schusters, The Ralstons, The Gallaghers, The Evensons - am I missing anybody? You never know, if the Ralstons or Schusters get up tommorrow angry at one another it could be the difference in the game - just kidding.
Last edited by pbhoopsters on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pbhoopsters

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:37 pm

hoop_fan1 wrote:
Diamond D wrote: 

I agree, those girls at M-M are some of the best coached kids I've seen.  You can just tell how well they listen-they are students of the game.  So I give the kids credit, but the coach has much to do with it.

As an unbiased spectator, I felt that M-M got away with alot of calls, but they play like that consistently.  They know exactly what they can get away with, and that is credit to the coaches and players for M-M-good defensive pressure.  D-ST, even if they had received every possible call in their favor, would not have won that game.  They looked scared and without emotion.  Will be interesting to see if either DP or D-ST will play with any emotion on Thursday.

I think M-M will win on thursday in a close one.  This team looks to be firing on all cylinders.  Jess Shanilec played excellent defense when she was on Baldwin, frustrated her at times.  FLPR will not get the 3pt shots off that they were able to against DP. 

I also thought that play at the end could have been stopped a couple times.  But I hate to say that it cost DP the game, because you have to play the entire game, and DP had their chances-missed some passes inside that would have resulted in the Gillettes going to the FT line or getting an easy turnaround. 

Dont get me wrong I dont want to take anything away from Randy because he has done a pretty good job. However, those girls are extremely easy to coach. One because they are all good athletes, two because they are all extremely competitive which you need to have for good defense (need to have a certain mentality), and three because of how they completely changed styles of play once they co-oped last year. Midway was a group of sophmores and freshman with one senior that ran, ran, and ran some more. As a Freshman Jess Schanilc was a three point sharp shooter, as was Alphson that same year as a sophmore. Schanilec I believe had a game where she made 6 of them. Has she even attempted 6 this entire year? Betsy Dickson was averaging around 10 pts a game and was abusing defenders getting to the hoop as a soph. Now she is a pass first point guard. They could have easily been selfish and try to get their points but you have to give the girls a huge amount of credit for understanding their roles on the team and executing them at a very high level. If they had more depth I think they could run every team right out of the gym but they need to play the style they do to keep their starters on the floor as much as possible.

In the district tournament matchup Kirby was three and four steps ahead of Rice the entire game. I expect the same in this matchup. M-M needs to find a way to beat the 1-2-2 zone trap (Kirby's bread and butter defense for years). They could not do it in the semi's. Their passive nature of their zone offense needs to change or it could be a long night. They have to penetrate the zone to create passing lanes and open shots. If not FL/PR will be moving on. I think M-M will make the adjustments though and pull off the win as it looks like they are playing their best ball right now and as they always say it is tough to beat a good team three times in a row. Should be an outstanding game. But as I said before the tournament started, watch out for the X factor (Kirby).
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Watcher 007 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:30 am

Go M-M ... State bound again(hopefully). Good Luck to you..
Watcher 007
NDPreps Starter

Postby grywyn » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:18 am

In watching Tuesday night games, after M-M won, they remained poised and respected the other teams feelings of defeat and saved their celebrating to the locker room. . Those young women should be applauded for that. F-L-PR didn't conduct themselves with that poise. When they made a 3-pointer, they got in postion to begin their defense. Not struting down the court, yelling or doing the arm jesture that reminds me of trucks blowing their horn.

I have said it before, Erickson will be out coached, Rice is by far the better coach. If his girls listen to his intructions will be the key factor.

The Ralston girls, are the playmakers of that F-L-PR team. McMillan off the bench has proven to be a firecracker.  

It should prove to be a great night of Girls Class B basketball here in North Dakota. Good Luck, Mustangs 
grywyn
NDPreps Starter

Postby thesports_guy32 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:41 am

InTheKnow wrote:By my saying she would be a non factor healthy anyway is not saying that she wouldnt have scored more or would not have created more opportunities for other teamates. Without a doubt you can tell by her athletic ability and how she moves on the floor that she is a good player. Was her ability to drive to the basket affected by her ankle, i would guess so. BUT, through the course of the game the ball was in Reiter's hands on every possession and she nearly scored at will. With Reiter scoring that frequently at a high percentage and M-M rebounding very well allowing mostly just one shot a possession, how would have Ericson made that much of a difference on the offensive end. M-M's ability to create turnovers on the defensive end early in possessions lead to alot of points in transition and was the difference in the game. Basically my point was you only get so many possessions and Reiter was taking 95% of the shots anyway. Because of the pace and their strugles against the zone and looking completely disorganized (excelent decision to go zone off of made baskets and man on everything else, they clearly took 4-5 possessions to realize they were switching) thats why I said she was a non factor healthy or not. I in no way was implying she is not a good player because she is. Just taking the facts of the whole game into account. Reiter and Ericson both cant score on the same possession.

you obviously haven't seen HN play much. ericson takes a lot of pressure off of reiter by drawing defenses away from her. trust me, if erin ericson was even 90% for the game she would've torn apart that zone that MM played. shooters can beat zones and she would've beat the zone. therefore, if ericson was healthy and could draw some defensive attention away from reiter then she would've been a factor.

but this is just opinion so i'll start giving you facts. reiter and ericson averaged a combined 30-32 pts/game. HN scored 39 total in that game. so if ericson is healthy and they get that 32 pts from that duo then they would've needed 11 points to be ahead at the end of that game. 11 points from your role players is not too much to ask and you said earlier that reiter scored with ease... so maybe their combined scores goes up to maybe 38-40 (which wasn't uncommon this year), now they need 3-5 pts from the role players. it's starting to seem more and more like ericson would've affected the game quite a bit.
thesports_guy32

Postby spud84 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:08 pm

Does anyone have the current score to the MM-FLPR game?
spud84

Postby spud84 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:15 pm

Thanks
spud84

Postby thesports_guy32 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:48 pm

sounds like Midway/Minto has picked up the defense from mid-3rd quarter to now.
thesports_guy32

Postby thesports_guy32 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:59 pm

Final Score
thesports_guy32

Postby hoop_fan1 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:49 pm

congrats to M-M!  a fine game played by two very good teams.  Coaches can only do so much.  Players make plays & M-M made more of them.

Good luck @ state!
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ladyballer11 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:07 pm

very good game to watch..both teams are great teams..midway minto will definitely represent region 2 very nicely in minot next weekend! good luck mustangs!
ladyballer11

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:41 pm

thesports_guy32 wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:By my saying she would be a non factor healthy anyway is not saying that she wouldnt have scored more or would not have created more opportunities for other teamates. Without a doubt you can tell by her athletic ability and how she moves on the floor that she is a good player. Was her ability to drive to the basket affected by her ankle, i would guess so. BUT, through the course of the game the ball was in Reiter's hands on every possession and she nearly scored at will. With Reiter scoring that frequently at a high percentage and M-M rebounding very well allowing mostly just one shot a possession, how would have Ericson made that much of a difference on the offensive end. M-M's ability to create turnovers on the defensive end early in possessions lead to alot of points in transition and was the difference in the game. Basically my point was you only get so many possessions and Reiter was taking 95% of the shots anyway. Because of the pace and their strugles against the zone and looking completely disorganized (excelent decision to go zone off of made baskets and man on everything else, they clearly took 4-5 possessions to realize they were switching) thats why I said she was a non factor healthy or not. I in no way was implying she is not a good player because she is. Just taking the facts of the whole game into account. Reiter and Ericson both cant score on the same possession.

you obviously haven't seen HN play much. ericson takes a lot of pressure off of reiter by drawing defenses away from her. trust me, if erin ericson was even 90% for the game she would've torn apart that zone that MM played. shooters can beat zones and she would've beat the zone. therefore, if ericson was healthy and could draw some defensive attention away from reiter then she would've been a factor.

but this is just opinion so i'll start giving you facts. reiter and ericson averaged a combined 30-32 pts/game. HN scored 39 total in that game. so if ericson is healthy and they get that 32 pts from that duo then they would've needed 11 points to be ahead at the end of that game. 11 points from your role players is not too much to ask and you said earlier that reiter scored with ease... so maybe their combined scores goes up to maybe 38-40 (which wasn't uncommon this year), now they need 3-5 pts from the role players. it's starting to seem more and more like ericson would've affected the game quite a bit.

Admitedly that was the first time I had seen H-N play all year. I said reiter scored at will because she made everything she threw up at the hoop. She in NO WAY had easy shots which made her performance even more impressive. She was hitting fade aways, one handers, spin move pull ups, etc. She was definately on her game and probably shot around 70% for the game. But M-M did not double team her or do anything specific to try and just stop her. They played them straight up basically with the mind set if she gets her points so be it, but one player wont beat us. Which emphasizes my point. When you have a player that is shooting that well and is the primary player touching the ball early in the possession, takes the shot and makes it, how can you score more points. As I said earlier, both players can't score on the same possession. Two very huge turnovers were 5 second calls that were possessions that i dont believe H-N ever got a shot off because a role player couldnt control the basketball. Bottom line H-N scored a very high percentage of possessions early in the game. When M-M went to the zone they tore apart the role players whenever they touched the ball and created tournover after turnover. One more reason, arguably Sammie Baldwin is probably the second best offensive player in the district, however she was basically shut down by Jess Schanilec in the Semi's. Who guarded ericson most of the game, Schanilec did like glue. Even in the title game for FLPR Erickson and Ralston put up 20 each and it still wasnt enough. M-M finds a way to win no matter what other teams do at this point in the season.
Last edited by InTheKnow on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wombat » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:11 am

Who was the senior player of the year for this region? and who was up for this award in the first place?
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Girls