New Salem Girl's Basketball

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby bestinthewest » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:32 pm

New Salem, ranked #1 most of the season, and undefeated throughout the regular season. I think this basketball team is the Dictionary definition of TEAM.  I just looked at the NDHSAA assists, rebounds, and point averages. NS has no players in the top 25. I think that is very noteworthy. They play as a team and get the job done. I just wanted to get that out there and couldnt find an already fitting topic. So post your thoughts about this TEAM.
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Postby berry186 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:58 pm

bestinthewest wrote:New Salem, ranked #1 most of the season, and undefeated throughout the regular season. I think this basketball team is the Dictionary definition of TEAM.  I just looked at the NDHSAA assists, rebounds, and point averages. NS has no players in the top 25. I think that is very noteworthy. They play as a team and get the job done. I just wanted to get that out there and couldnt find an already fitting topic. So post your thoughts about this TEAM.
they have none in the top 25 because they dont have any stats in so that is why
berry186
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vballfan06 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:59 pm

i'm gonna go out and make a prediction here: and I know all you New Salem fans will be all over my butt.  I predict Flasher wins the region and knocks off New Salem.  And I will give you a couple reasons why: 1) it's alot of pressure to be not only undefeated and ranked #1 in the state, but expected to make a 3rd straight state tournament appearance 2) Jerlyn Gabrielson has done it time and again in both volleyball and basketball where her kids were definitely not as athletic, but still came out on top 3) New Salem had Flasher's number all volleyball season too, but Flasher came out on top 4) Flasher has christy gabrielson: I realize she's not the player she is on the volleyball court, but what sets her apart is her mental toughness--she plays huge in big games.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby tripleb » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:46 am

I think the 19-0 record is a little bit overrated.  Looking at their schedule, they played one team that has been ranked...Steele-Dawson.  At state last year they were overmatched and got 8th place even though they had been there the year before and had pretty much the same lineup.  Someone like Watford City (who is only 8-11) played the likes of Bowman (twice), Beulah, Hazen, Dickinson Trinity, and Bottineau.  That's got to help when it comes to Tourney Time.
tripleb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:03 am

New Salem is probably the most athletic team in class B. They have been for the past couple years....even as athletic as Bottineau.....only problem is they run one offense one defense and one press.....hard to win against the best when you are so one dimensional. If they get to state again it would be easy for coaches because this team has remained virtually the same over the past three years....
bigpoppakdog

Postby bestinthewest » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:58 am

these girls know how to deal with pressure, does anyone remember the regional final when the stars were sophomores, down by 2 with about 3 seconds left and they pulled it off, this will be no swaet with a amore mature, talented, and developed team. there is no way flasher will beat NS in regionals, yeah they have christy gabrielson and kelli vandenburg who are pretty good scorers.

And to Bigpoppakdog:

but this one dimensional defense seems to be working on everybody.if its so dang obvious then why havent they lost to anyone, Michelle Kubas was one fo the top scorers in state and she was held well below her average.  and heck the offense seems to be working too. i mean they have won a lot of games,.......all of them in fact. Last year they beat then #6 linton and then #5 killdeer by 20+ points. so if this one dimensional team is so predictable then why hasnt anyone been able to stop it??? answer that
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Postby gobison21 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:41 pm

New Salem has has shown in the past the ability to win close games, because of their experience.  Their defense is strong and that is what wins them games, during the latter part of the season their offensive production has become more more balanced and consistent. I believe that New Salem has been known to be outcoached in big games, which has been their largest downfall in their previous two state tournament appearances.  They also lack size and strength when playing against bigger more physical teams.  That being said I expect them to hold off Shiloh and Flasher with Nortons' leadership and experience.
gobison21
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bestinthewest » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:01 pm

Thank you gobison21. you are absolutley correct. their coach is not as intense and encouraging as other coaches and thats may be a part of their state tournament failures.  as for the lack of interior size, you are also absolutley correct. but, you gotta give it to them, they make up for that lack of an interior presence with their outstanding outside shooting. lauf has defenitly improved and hit some nice three pointers, taking a load off Norton's shoulders which will be very beneficial in their games this postseason.
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:28 am

to best in the west: They are undefeated...they are the most athletic team as I have stated....there are not that many very strong teams around this area...why can't anybody stop them because New Salem is better than everyone....when they get to state that has been a different story...that's all....jees relax...
bigpoppakdog

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:30 am

best in the west: Linton beat New Salem in the rematch...wonder why?
bigpoppakdog

Postby NDdominator » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:00 pm

Shiloh Christian comes out of Region 5 beating new salem
NDdominator

Postby bballfan_05 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:57 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:best in the west: Linton beat New Salem in the rematch...wonder why?

Yea.... pretty sure that wouldn't happen this year.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby black swan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:42 pm

no comments about new salem's district finish?
black swan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NDdominator » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:03 pm

yea I'm telling ya Shiloh Christian upsetting New Salem in regionals going to the big dance
NDdominator

Postby gmac90 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:11 pm

Shiloh's not going to beat New Salem again, especially when a trip to state is on the line. New Salem couldn't possibly shoot any worse than they did in the district championship, so if they get a few to drop, and Bearstail happens to miss from 25 feet, New Salem won't have a problem with Shiloh.
Go Big or Go Home
gmac90
NDPreps Starter

Postby bestinthewest » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:43 pm

couldn't of said it better myself gmac90.  i guess we'll just have to wait and see
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Return to Girls