Poll: 1/22/07

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:19 am

1 New Salem (10) 14-0 100 1

2 Bottineau 14-1 87 2

3 Bowman 14-1 69 4

4 Hatton-Northwood 13-1 67 5

5 Steele-Dawson 13-1 50 6

6 Minnewaukan-Leeds 14-1 46 8

7 Bishop Ryan 13-1 45 3

8 Dakota Prairie 12-2 21 7

9 LaMoure 12-1 20 10

10 Drayton-St. Thomas 12-2 19 9

Others Receiving Votes:
Dickinson Trinity (13-2), Kindred (12-2), Fordville-Lankin-Park River (10-2), Midway-Minto (12-3), Des Lacs-Burlington (10-3), Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood (12-2).
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby SportsFanatic31 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:37 pm

The polls just blow my mind sometimes.  How does #3 Bishop Ryan fall to #7 after losing to #2 Bottineau?  Any explanation?
SportsFanatic31
NDPreps Rookie

Postby rep » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:38 pm

SportsFanatic31 wrote:The polls just blow my mind sometimes.  How does #3 Bishop Ryan fall to #7 after losing to #2 Bottineau?  Any explanation?

what was the score of the game...can't remember it offhand
rep

Postby SportsFanatic31 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:40 pm

49-33.  I saw that Bishop Ryan only shot 20% from the field.  So, they have one off night.
SportsFanatic31
NDPreps Rookie

Postby rep » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:49 pm

minot ryan got dropped behind bowman (don't know the last time they lost), hatton-northwood (which last lost on dec. 19), steele-dawson (which last lost dec. 9) and minnewaukan-leeds (which last lost on dec. 2) and are ahead of dakota prairie (with two losses), lamoure (which just lost its second game on tuesday) and drayton-st. thomas (which has two losses).

depending on when bowman lost (considering they were no. 4 last week i'm guessing not in a while?) i think minot ryan is probably right where they should be. also, off night or not, losing by 16 is losing by 16.
rep

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:51 pm

Hillsboro beat DP tonight by 9

NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:22 pm

That win by Hillsboro definately solidifies them as a contender in Region 2. Are they capable of winning 3 in the region tournament, we shall see. One game shot yes but three straight for whoever wins it, they will definately be deserving of region champ.

I have been following boys and girls in this region since way back to at least 1992 that I can remember and understand who can play and who cant. This year's girls region is by far the deepest and toughest to predict that I have ever seen since then. You can honestly throw out the records when the region starts because seriously both #4's could upset whoever is a #1 and I dont think i have ever seen that before.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby rkmt » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:09 am

InTheKnow wrote:That win by Hillsboro definately solidifies them as a contender in Region 2. Are they capable of winning 3 in the region tournament, we shall see. One game shot yes but three straight for whoever wins it, they will definately be deserving of region champ.

I have been following boys and girls in this region since way back to at least 1992 that I can remember and understand who can play and who cant. This year's girls region is by far the deepest and toughest to predict that I have ever seen since then. You can honestly throw out the records when the region starts because seriously both #4's could upset whoever is a #1 and I dont think i have ever seen that before.

My dark horse came through.  DP is still playing without J Gillett right?  But that should still give the confidence to Hillsboro that come tournament time, they have as good a shot as anyone else.  They have a couple people that have been starting a long time - since they were once one of the bottom feeders, and I thought they would have a good year this year.  I will be very interested to see how District 3,4 and Region 2 turn out.  Everyone should be playing at the top of their game as no one can really feel like they have a free ride.
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby shotcaller1 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:24 am

rkmt wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:That win by Hillsboro definately solidifies them as a contender in Region 2. Are they capable of winning 3 in the region tournament, we shall see. One game shot yes but three straight for whoever wins it, they will definately be deserving of region champ.

My dark horse came through.  DP is still playing without J Gillett right?  But that should still give the confidence to Hillsboro that come tournament time, they have as good a shot as anyone else.  They have a couple people that have been starting a long time - since they were once one of the bottom feeders, and I thought they would have a good year this year.  I will be very interested to see how District 3,4 and Region 2 turn out.  Everyone should be playing at the top of their game as no one can really feel like they have a free ride.

Yea J Gillett did not play the Hillsboro game.  I believe she's coming back monday (29th) I could be wrong though.  It'll be interesting to see Jenna play right away, see how she reacts with her knee. I really don't think it's going to bother her though. She don't seem like the athlete who will slow down from something like this, I expect to see her playing even better basketball now that she's seen her team lose a couple with her not playing.  No doubt, this must be a huge confidence win for Hillsboro. Come tourney time I expect to see some of the greatest basketball games of the year from this district and the region when Midway-Minto gets into the mix again.
shotcaller1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby pbhoopsters » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:23 pm

Hillsboro was my preseason pick for region 2. I have to admit when they drop two games early I was a bit concerned. However, I think one can attribute that to making a transition from volleyball after winning the state tournament.

I was at the DP - Hillsboro game and after seeing them play I think I will stick with them. I know they have lost to Hatton/Northwood twice this year but I think things are coming together for them at about the right time. Against DP they had balanced scoring from both the inside and the outside. Jenna G. certainly would have helped DP, but from my vantage point, that wasn't DP's main problem with Hillsboro. In my view, they lost the game because they had difficulty handling Hillsboro's defensive pressure.

This is what I really like about Hillsboro - their tenacity on defense. The Evenson twins are "pitbulls" when it comes to denying the inbounds pass. I also like Hillsboro's fastbreak approach to the game - they push the ball up the court on just about every possession. I don't have a horse in this race, my daughter is on a team in Region 1 so I think I am pretty objective on my Region 2 observations. I do agree that in the end it could be one of several teams to represent the Region in the State tournament. 
Last edited by pbhoopsters on Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pbhoopsters

Postby thesports_guy32 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:01 pm

that's a gutsy move making hillsboro your preseason pick, especially in this region. so far region 2 has had 5 teams in the state rankings at one point or another. you sound like you've followed hillsboro enough this season so here's my question. do you think that they are consistent enough to win 3 games in the region 2 tournament, all of which would be considered upsets?
thesports_guy32

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:34 pm

How the heck could you solidify any of the teams in that region to win 3 games? That region has so much competition it is unreal. I dont know how they fare with other teams in the state but R2 is solid.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby pbhoopsters » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:36 am

In that region I think you always have the potential for upsets. I have watched enough basketball in my life time to know that in tournament play often times things do not go according to script. A team can play flat, overlook a team, have foul problems, have a key player get sick or injured, poor refing, have personality conficts or even have a team play over their ability for a night.

I may consider Hillsboro a better team than you. The team's early loses I attribute to the fact that they had missed a week of practice due to the State Volleyball tournament. Other than that they have only had 2 loses both to Hatton/Northwood. I know from personal experience that doesn't necessarily mean anything. My senior year in High School we beat a team twice in the regular season only to lose to them in the Regional Championship.

What I like about Hillsboro is their defensive tenacity. A team can have an off night offensively and still win the game with hard-nose defense. In terms of consistency, I think they are consistently good on defense and that is why I think their chances are good in Region 2.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly do not think Hillsboro is a sure thing in Region 2. I just like going against the script - I like to stick my neck out a little. Pre-season I think everyone was picking Dakota Prairie, now I think folks are not so sure. If some one else wins the Region then God Bless them! It will be interesting to watch.  
pbhoopsters

Postby hoop_fan1 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:03 am

I think in Region 2, you just stick about 5 names in a hat, pull one out, and that's what you go with.  Not the case most years.  It seemed Cavalier & Grafton were coming on lately up north, but then they both get handled easily last night.  With those two teams, I had seven names in the hat, but in regionals it will come down to experience.  Midway-Minto has it, Hatton-Nortwood has it, Drayton-St. Thomas has it, and I think dakota prairie  & PR-F-L has it.  When you talk depth, I'm not sure anyone is real deep.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thesports_guy32 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:09 am

that's true... not too many teams have a lot coming off the bench. in my opinion, the teams with the 1, 2 scoring punch will have the most success. come tournament time, teams will figure out how to stop a team if they rely too heavily on one scorer.

i think that D-St is going to need a consistent second scoring threat to fair well in the region tournament. Baldwin has carried them this far but she won't be able to do that against every team. Hatton-Northwood has 2 solid scorers and role players that know how to get them the ball. Midway-Minto has K. Schuster and a few other players that, on any given night, can step up and be the second threat. DP (with a healthy Jenna Gillett) will have plenty of offense. FLPR has Erickson, and K. Ralston has been coming on strong lately.

But almost just as important is momentum... especially in such a close region.
thesports_guy32

Postby pbhoopsters » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:10 pm

In terms of the scoring punch category I think you definitely have to give the nod to Hatton/Northwood. Between Reiter and Ericson you get about 31 points a game. I think the big concern for Hatton/Northwood is defending the front court. When I saw them play Dakota Prairie Abby Reiter had to sit most the game with foul problems. In a rugged tournament the physical play could create some problems for Hatton/Northwood.
pbhoopsters

Postby thesports_guy32 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:40 am

in district 3 i heard there's a 3 way tie for first between hatton-northwood, dakota prairie, and hillsboro. HN beat hillsboro twice, hillsboro beat DP, and DP beat HN. how do they decide who gets which seed? i heard it might be a coin flip but isn't there a better way to decide? i mean these teams worked hard all year to try to get that top seed and when it comes down to it, a coin toss is the deciding factor? i just think that there has to be a more relevant tie-breaker.
thesports_guy32

Postby baller23 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:32 am

I agree with sports guy. These teams worked their butts off to get that first seed and it comes down to a coin flip!? I think theres got to be a better way to decide.
baller23
NDPreps Reserve

Postby pbhoopsters » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:31 am

I don't know how they will figure out the mess is District 3 but I am ready to throw out my Region picks for further discussion. Here they are:

Region 1 - Kindred

Region 2 - Hillsboro (My stick my neck out pick)

Region 3- Litchville-Marion/Montpelier

Region 4 - Leeds/Minnewaukan

Region 5 - New Salem

Region 6 - Bottineau

Region 7 - Bowman

Region 8 - Stanley

Anybody have any comments?

pbhoopsters

Postby baller01 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:56 am

pbhoopsters wrote:I don't know how they will figure out the mess is District 3 but I am ready to throw out my Region picks for further discussion. Here they are:

Region 1 - Kindred

Region 2 - Hillsboro (My stick my neck out pick)

Region 3- Litchville-Marion/Montpelier

Region 4 - Leeds/Minnewaukan

Region 5 - New Salem

Region 6 - Bottineau

Region 7 - Bowman

Region 8 - Stanley

Anybody have any comments?

Steele will win region 3, by a long ways. No team in the region has the coaching, shooting, passing, and defense to matchup with them. I think LMM will be 2nd but Steele definately runs away with region 3.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby pbhoopsters » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:41 am

I'm sure you know much more about that Region than me. It looks like Steele has been dominating it's opponents when looking at the scores of their games. My concern with Steel is their size. It does not appear to me (and I have not seen them play) that they have any true post players. I gave LMM the edge because I believe 2 athletic 6 footers like Cuypers and Brown will create too many front court problems for Steele. How has Steele dealt with this problem in past games?
pbhoopsters

Postby baller01 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:47 am

pbhoopsters wrote:I'm sure you know much more about that Region than me. It looks like Steele has been dominating it's opponents when looking at the scores of their games. My concern with Steel is their size. It does not appear to me (and I have not seen them play) that they have any true post players. I gave LMM the edge because I believe 2 athletic 6 footers like Cuypers and Brown will create too many front court problems for Steele. How has Steele dealt with this problem in past games?

Steele does have a very good post in Paige Fredrickson. She isn't the tallest, 5'10" at the tallest, but she plays very physical. She plays more like 6'1" 6'2" to be honest. I think Steele-Dawson has only played against one really good post in Abby Feist from Linton. I don't think Feist had that many, maybe lower teens. Steele just pressured the snot out of Linton's guards and didn't even let them get it in to her. Coach Sand did a great job of coming up with a game plan for that game. He knew that if Feist got it inside she was more then likely going to score. I'm assuming that is exactly what Steele will do with LMM. Harrass the LMM guards and not even let Cuypers have it inside. Even if she does, she is going to have trouble scoring on Fredrickson.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby pbhoopsters » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:11 pm

I will watch with interest for that match-up. A pesky defensive backcourt can certainly nullify an offensive front court. I will also follow the play of Page Fredrickson closer. However, Cuypers is only half the problem for the Steele front court. If she draws too much attention I think Brown will cause problems.
pbhoopsters

Postby baller01 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:31 pm

I'm not saying Fredrickson is an all-stater like that, she is just a very solid player. I think she is averaging about 16 points a game on a very balanced scoring team.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Stromer » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:49 pm

thesports_guy32 wrote:in district 3 i heard there's a 3 way tie for first between hatton-northwood, dakota prairie, and hillsboro. HN beat hillsboro twice, hillsboro beat DP, and DP beat HN. how do they decide who gets which seed? i heard it might be a coin flip but isn't there a better way to decide? i mean these teams worked hard all year to try to get that top seed and when it comes down to it, a coin toss is the deciding factor? i just think that there has to be a more relevant tie-breaker.

If these teams do end up in a tie (which is not a given since DP and hillsboro still have 2 more games for 3 district points and HN has 3 for 5 points), I think a coin flip is the fairest way.  If they all win out, the only district losses will be to each other.  How do you decide who should get the top seed?  You can't look at the margin of victory of the games, otherwise you are just asking for running up the score.  I think they have proven that they are equal teams and they should get an equal chance at the top seed, hence a coin flip.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Girls