Poll: 1/22/07

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby thesports_guy32 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:17 pm

Stromer... i can see your point of view on that, but as a player it would be upsetting. but then again, in that district, those teams don't have to worry about not making regionals. there's quite a drop off from 3rd in D3 to 4th.
thesports_guy32

Postby Stromer » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:18 pm

thesports_guy32 wrote:Stromer... i can see your point of view on that, but as a player it would be upsetting. but then again, in that district, those teams don't have to worry about not making regionals. there's quite a drop off from 3rd in D3 to 4th.

Yeah I wouldn't care for it if I was playing but I don't know what else you could do.  If there is a big gap from 3rd to 4th, it will be an advantage to get that #1 seed as you won't have to play a top three team.  Now that 2-3 matchup would be a good one to watch.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rkmt » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:59 am

Stromer wrote:
thesports_guy32 wrote:in district 3 i heard there's a 3 way tie for first between hatton-northwood, dakota prairie, and hillsboro. HN beat hillsboro twice, hillsboro beat DP, and DP beat HN. how do they decide who gets which seed? i heard it might be a coin flip but isn't there a better way to decide? i mean these teams worked hard all year to try to get that top seed and when it comes down to it, a coin toss is the deciding factor? i just think that there has to be a more relevant tie-breaker.

If these teams do end up in a tie (which is not a given since DP and hillsboro still have 2 more games for 3 district points and HN has 3 for 5 points), I think a coin flip is the fairest way.  If they all win out, the only district losses will be to each other.  How do you decide who should get the top seed?  You can't look at the margin of victory of the games, otherwise you are just asking for running up the score.  I think they have proven that they are equal teams and they should get an equal chance at the top seed, hence a coin flip.

In football, when I've seen a 3-way tie, they have done point spread amongst the 3.   However, they probably don't use point spread in basketball because you have the problem that HN played Hillsboro twice, and DP met each team just once.  Theoretically, the HN-Hillsboro matchups could be averaged like they were one game and then you could do it.  That leaves HN as the lowest seed of the 3, and yet they had to beat one of the others 2 times which is harder to do.  So, while a coin flip is a way to break a tie that says "ok, screw all the work you did, it's all up to chance in the end"  - a little flawed - when there's no other way, who's to say it isn't as fair as anything? 

But that said, assuming the tie stays as it is which looks pretty good, all 3 teams should make regions - it'd be a huge upset if even of them did not.  It's just going to shake up what night some of the matchups are in the regional because the other district is just as interesting.  You won't have to sit around waiting for championship night, because I think every night will feel like one.  It will be a fun tournament to keep any eye on.  But heartbreaking for alot of good teams. 
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Girls