2 shot free throws on the 5th foul every quarter.

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2 shot free throws on the 5th foul every quarter.

Postby jimor » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:27 pm

I sure hope this gets better with time. 1st half took just about an hour, to get to a score of Langdon 50 Dunseith 15. Game moves very slow.
jimor
NDPreps Starter

Re: 2 shot free throws on the 5th foul every quarter.

Postby Flip » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:41 pm

jimor wrote:I sure hope this gets better with time. 1st half took just about an hour, to get to a score of Langdon 50 Dunseith 15. Game moves very slow.

Why would it be faster the old way?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby jimor » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:19 pm

Like I said. I hope it gets better with time. But shooting 2 shots on the 5th, just makes it take a lot longer, especially when they miss the front end shot. I'll admit new things always struggle at first.
jimor
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:12 am

OK, I watched the first half. It was a long first and it had nothing to do with the free throws. I kept track of fouls. It is impossible to come up with a situation where the new rule would add significant time to a game. It should make the game slightly shorter.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:21 pm

Girls games take longer in general. Especially with a good team against a bad team. Lots of turnovers, dead balls, travels, etc typically take place. Late game situations will be interesting to watch.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:01 pm

BasketballMind wrote:Girls games take longer in general. Especially with a good team against a bad team. Lots of turnovers, dead balls, travels, etc typically take place. Late game situations will be interesting to watch.

I feel like you're going to run into a lot of games late where the team trailing needs to foul and they're going to have to foul multiple times to reach the two-shot bonus.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:10 pm

The game I watched last night took forever. I lost track of how many times there was a foul called and they all walked down to the other end to shoot FT's. My initial reaction is that I do not care for this rule. We will see as the season progresses.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:55 pm

Sportsrube wrote:The game I watched last night took forever. I lost track of how many times there was a foul called and they all walked down to the other end to shoot FT's. My initial reaction is that I do not care for this rule. We will see as the season progresses.

Scenario
So in the 1st Quarter there are 8 team fouls on a team and another 8 in the 2nd Quarter

Old rule...you are shooting the entire 2nd quarter on every foul - 15 or 16 FTs for one team in the 2nd Q
New rule...fouls reset and you end up only shooting 8 FTs each quarter

It'll take teams awhile to adjust to this but to me the new rule should be faster under this scenario; and teams will learn. You'd still be walking down to the other end for bonus FTs...just may not be there for 2 shots...just a small bit of time saved.

I think Boys basketball may adjust to this quicker than girls.
Last edited by WalkingStick on Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsnut5 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:58 pm

WalkingStick beat me to the punch, his scenario is exactly how it should play out. I think over time we should see fewer trips to the line.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:53 am

I’m also in the belief that this will speed up the overall game. So many girls games are in bonus after a qtr the reset will help that.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:38 am

Watched a girl's game last night, in the 1st quarter their were a total of 27 points scored and 36 whistles. (15 total fouls and the rest were travel, double dribble, ball out of bounds and jump balls) Absolutely brutal to watch. The 1st quarter almost took longer than the last three combined. (Running clock in the 4th quarter helped speed it up.)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:34 am

Give it time and the girls will adapt.

I really think the boys will adapt quicker...as the style of game tends to be a bit different.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:04 pm

WalkingStick wrote:Give it time and the girls will adapt.

I really think the boys will adapt quicker...as the style of game tends to be a bit different.

Both teams did adapt and they actually made through the 4th quarter without either team getting into the bonus. I think once everyone adjusts to the rule it will be OK. I visited with the officials before the game and they said they like the new FT rule.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby jimor » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:16 pm

Update from my original post. Last nights game was much better. If memory serves me right each team has 3-4 fouls at the end of each quarter and didn't get into FTs because of the reset, till the end of the game, but not resetting going into overtime may or may not have affected the outcome, I'm sure people will see it both ways.
jimor
NDPreps Starter

Postby Thundersnow » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:43 am

We're a month into this new change, and I would say it's made the game better. It would be really interesting to see a statistical analysis on how many free throws were attempted per game under the old rules vs. the new rules. I would also like to see if the percentage of free throw shooting goes up or down. There's less pressure on individual shots with the elimination of the 1-and-1.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Return to Girls