2023 State Class B Girls Basketball Tournament

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2023 State Class B Girls Basketball Tournament

Postby Sorenson23 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:03 am

State Class B Girls Basketball Tournament
@ Minot State Dome; March 2-4th

Thursday March 2nd
G1 - #2 (3) Central Cass def (9) Bowman County (22-2) 61-28
G2 - #3 (4) Rugby def (RV) Langdon-Edmore-Munich (19-5) 67-48
G3 - #1 (1) Thompson def Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier (19-5) 66-43
G4 - #5 (8) Garrison def #4 (2) Kenmare-Bowbells 45-33

Friday March 3rd
G5 - (RV) Langdon-Edmore-Munich def (9) Bowman County 54-48
G6 - Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier def #4 (2) Kenmare-Bowbells 51-47
G7 - #2 (3) Central Cass def #3 (4) Rugby 53-52 OT
G8 - #1 (1) Thompson def #5 (8) Garrison 55-50

Saturday March 4th
G9 - 7th Place - (9) Bowman County def #4 (2) Kenmare-Bowbells 55-47
G10 - 5th Place - Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier def Langdon-Edmore-Munich 63-37
G11 - 3rd Place - #3 (4) Rugby def #5 (8) Garrison 46-45
G12 - State B Title Game - #2 (3) Central Cass def #1 (1) Thompson 58-55 OT

State Champions - Central Cass (23-3)
Runner Up - Thompson (24-3)
3rd - Rugby (23-3)
4th - Garrison (23-4)
5th - Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier (21-6)
6th - Langdon-Edmore-Munich (20-7)
7th - Bowman County (23-4)
8th - Kenmare-Bowbells (22-5)
Last edited by Sorenson23 on Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: 2023 State Class B Girls Basketball Tournament

Postby Sorenson23 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:18 am

First Round
Central Cass over Bowman County by 15
Rugby over Langdon-Edmore-Munich by 10
Thompson over Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier by 20
Kenmare over Garrison by 20

Consolation
Bowman over Langdon-Edmore-Munich by 8
Garrison over Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier by 5

Semi-Finals
Central Cass over Rugby by 10
Kenmare over Thompson by 2

7th Place
Langdon over Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier by 9

5th Place
Bowman over Garrison by 10

3rd Place
Thompson over Rugby by 5

State B Title Game
Kenmare over Central Cass by 2

1. Kenmare
2. Central Cass
3. Thompson
4. Rugby
5. Bowman County
6. Garrison
7. Langdon-Edmore-Munich
8. Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier
Last edited by Sorenson23 on Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Attack the Process » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:32 pm

Really excited for the state tournament! I think there is potential for all four quarterfinal match-ups to be competitive.

Sorenson23 wrote:State Class B Girls Basketball Tournament
@ Minot State Dome; March 2-4th

Thursday March 2nd
G1 - (20-3) #2 (3) Central Cass vs (9) Bowman County (22-2)
G2 - (21-2) #3 (4) Rugby vs (RV) Langdon-Edmore-Munich (19-5)
G3 - (22-2) #1 (1) Thompson vs Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier (19-5)
G4 - (22-2) #4 (2) Kenmare-Bowbells vs #5 (8) Garrison (22-2)

Friday March 3rd
G5 -
G6 -
G7 -
G8 -

Saturday March 4th
G9 - 7th Place -
G10 - 5th Place -
G11 - 3rd Place -
G12 - State B Title Game -
Attack the Process
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:33 pm

I think this could end up being a very competitive tournament across the board. Still, I see Central Cass and Thompson in the championship. I would love to see Kenmare in there as a small school rep and would also like to see Garrison have a good showing.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:48 pm

I think this is the best field of teams we've had in a while. The top four teams in the last poll are in the tournament. I have not seen Garrison or BC play. I have seen Shiloh play a couple of times and if you're beating them you're a real team. I thought LEM would be better than last year's team that got the 3 seed. I wonder if it's possible they are better than that team right now. It's hard to tell since they haven't played a top-notch team recently. From what I've seen of EKM they're going to have to make the game ugly. Slow it down and make it a defensive game.

I think Thompson should be the betting favorite, but CC might be the better team. CC has a tougher road to the championship I believe. I'm pretty excited about this tournament.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:36 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I think this could end up being a very competitive tournament across the board. Still, I see Central Cass and Thompson in the championship. I would love to see Kenmare in there as a small school rep and would also like to see Garrison have a good showing.

To me being from that Area... having someone call Kenmare a small school is very funny to me..... By the Way it is Kenmare/ Bowbells. Kenmare girls have been in the State 6 times for the girls and the Boys 16 times....
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:47 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:I think this could end up being a very competitive tournament across the board. Still, I see Central Cass and Thompson in the championship. I would love to see Kenmare in there as a small school rep and would also like to see Garrison have a good showing.

To me being from that Area... having someone call Kenmare a small school is very funny to me..... By the Way it is Kenmare/ Bowbells. Kenmare girls have been in the State 6 times for the girls and the Boys 16 times....

Well, Kenmare/Bowbells and Garrison are the two smallest teams in the tournament based on enrollment. And neither are anywhere near the cutoff for the new middle division, so in my eyes they are a small school.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:09 pm

127 kids for the 2 year Average... for Kenmare Bowbells.... not big but not little either.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:31 pm

maddog1971 wrote:

Twice since 1968.....
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby RiverMiner99 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:01 pm

Flip wrote:I think this is the best field of teams we've had in a while. The top four teams in the last poll are in the tournament. I have not seen Garrison or BC play. I have seen Shiloh play a couple of times and if you're beating them you're a real team. I thought LEM would be better than last year's team that got the 3 seed. I wonder if it's possible they are better than that team right now. It's hard to tell since they haven't played a top-notch team recently. From what I've seen of EKM they're going to have to make the game ugly. Slow it down and make it a defensive game.

I think Thompson should be the betting favorite, but CC might be the better team. CC has a tougher road to the championship I believe. I'm pretty excited about this tournament.

I would disagree that this is the best field of teams. It probably is the most competitive field of teams from top to bottom that we've seen in a while. Both teams that were in the Championship game last year would be heavily favored if they were in this year's field. Should be more exciting games this year.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:35 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:I would disagree that this is the best field of teams. It probably is the most competitive field of teams from top to bottom that we've seen in a while. Both teams that were in the Championship game last year would be heavily favored if they were in this year's field. Should be more exciting games this year.

Kindred sure. They were one of the best teams ever. I think top 3 teams in this year's tournament stack up pretty well vs last year's Grafton team. The '22 Grafton was good, but not like a "best team to not win a title" team. They had losses to Langdon and Four Winds during the regular season.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby UncleRico » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:45 pm

I admittedly have not seen all the teams play, but unless Central Cass runs into a crew that decides to call all the reaching and bumping on their press and in general, I'm not sure I see any of the other teams being able to handle their physicality.

I'd give Thompson the best chance, but that's probably because I'm most familiar with them.

Just my .02
UncleRico
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:50 am

maddog1971 wrote:127 kids for the 2 year Average... for Kenmare Bowbells.... not big but not little either.

Here are the state tournament enrollments according to the new 3 class plan
CC 302.5
Rugby 191.5
Thompson 167
LEM 150.5
Bowman 143.5
EKM 140.5
KBC 113.5
Garrison 105

In the regional tournament KBC beat Trenton 94.5, New Town 278.5, and Tioga 138.

There are 25 teams in the new B division that are larger than KBC and 50 that are smaller. I guess I'm not seeing how they are the big fish in a small pond anywhere. If they make the semifinals, I will be rooting for them to bring home the championship.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby muley14 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:50 am

RiverMiner99 wrote:I would disagree that this is the best field of teams. It probably is the most competitive field of teams from top to bottom that we've seen in a while. Both teams that were in the Championship game last year would be heavily favored if they were in this year's field. Should be more exciting games this year.

Agree. The last 3 years I think there has been a team or two that were clear favorites. Upsets those years would have been more surprising than if they happen this year. This year I think it is a Thompson and Central Cass final but the gap between them and the rest of the field is much smaller.
muley14
NDPreps Starter

Postby BelfieldBantams » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:49 am

UncleRico wrote:I admittedly have not seen all the teams play, but unless Central Cass runs into a crew that decides to call all the reaching and bumping on their press and in general, I'm not sure I see any of the other teams being able to handle their physicality.

I'd give Thompson the best chance, but that's probably because I'm most familiar with them.

Just my .02

If the game is called by the rules in the rule book, I think both Cass and Thompson will be in a lot of foul trouble. Both teams play physical and aggressive defense. I don't think that will consistently happen though. And while the rest of the state is starting to close the gap on this style of play, I think these two teams are still head and shoulders above everyone else. If the games get called even semi-tight, then we could see these teams go down, but I don't think that will happen.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:28 pm

BelfieldBantams wrote:
UncleRico wrote:I admittedly have not seen all the teams play, but unless Central Cass runs into a crew that decides to call all the reaching and bumping on their press and in general, I'm not sure I see any of the other teams being able to handle their physicality.

Just my .02

If the game is called by the rules in the rule book, I think both Cass and Thompson will be in a lot of foul trouble. Both teams play physical and aggressive defense. I don't think that will consistently happen though. And while the rest of the state is starting to close the gap on this style of play, I think these two teams are still head and shoulders above everyone else. If the games get called even semi-tight, then we could see these teams go down, but I don't think that will happen.

I don't think a tightly called game will hurt Thompson at all. I would say they are aggressive and quite quick, but not very physical. A tightly called game would actually favor Thompson with their quickness and ball handling. Most girls will not be able to stay in front of the ball handler without a little contact. At least that is how I see it.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:13 pm

d_fense wrote:I don't think a tightly called game will hurt Thompson at all. I would say they are aggressive and quite quick, but not very physical. A tightly called game would actually favor Thompson with their quickness and ball handling. Most girls will not be able to stay in front of the ball handler without a little contact. At least that is how I see it.

Complete agreement. I'm not sure I see it with CC either. The team that could have really been hurt with a tightly called game was Shiloh. I haven't watched a lot of Rugby this year, but they were always a team put on a lot of pressure.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsnut5 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:24 pm

The state tournament is always more physical than the regular season. Teams with depth and physical guards that can handle the ball under duress always do well. It also comes down to the teams ability to shoot. Buckets are hard to come by in the paint, so perimeter shooting is so important. I do not think there are any teams the caliber of 2020 Langdon, 2021 Grafton, or 2022 Kindred in this tournament, but there is great balance and I expect a very competitive tourney.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:32 am

I have watched Thompson and CC play a number of games this year... to say either team will benefit from a tightly called game .... I really don't see that at all. Smith knocks girls all over the floor and does not get called for anything. Granted it is her size and strength that brings this our of her game and it has nothing to do with her being a cheap player... she is not at all... but when she is going for a loose ball... girls go flying. IF they get a crew that calls that stuff on her.... CC is in trouble. I do think it will hands down be a CC and Thompson final and I really can not pick a winner. My heart wants to see Garrison win it but that is not going to happen.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:26 pm

Curb Stomp by CC on Bowman County.... Just a different type game.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby bingobangobongo » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:07 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Curb Stomp by CC on Bowman County.... Just a different type game.

61 to 28...ouch.
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:33 pm

Second game much more competitive. Rugby leads at the half 27-26.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:24 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Second game much more competitive. Rugby leads at the half 27-26.

Rugby pulls away 67-48
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bingobangobongo » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:57 pm

4 non-competitive games so far.
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:39 pm

bingobangobongo wrote:4 non-competitive games so far.

Tomorrow should have better games but Thompson & CC are semi favorites…consolation games should be more even
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Girls