Best Programs

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Best Programs

Postby Flip » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 am

I feel like there are seven programs that are above the rest. The order is hard to make but this is how I see it.
1. Kindred
2. Grafton
3. Thompson
4. Langdon
5. Rugby
6. Central Cass
7. Shiloh

any thoughts?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Re: Best Programs

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:54 am

These programs continue to pump out quality teams year in and year out
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:45 pm

Missing one of the best in Carrington
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:30 pm

packers21 wrote:Missing one of the best in Carrington

I'm not sure I could put them above any of the seven I mentioned. Since they won it in 2011 they've made two trips to state. They are consistently good though. Who are some other teams I may have left out?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:40 pm

Flip wrote:
packers21 wrote:Missing one of the best in Carrington

I'm not sure I could put them above any of the seven I mentioned. Since they won it in 2011 they've made two trips to state. They are consistently good though. Who are some other teams I may have left out?

Think if they had some of the kids “move” into to like Bismarck has, I just can’t put them up there. They lost in a couple other Region Championships and one was stolen away by a 3 that wasn’t a 3.

There’s not much else out there for GBB. Dickinson Trinity has had some good years. Bowman has been decent recently. 4 winds has been on a good run, North Star before that.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:47 pm

a borderline team may be Northern Cass, I think they will become one consistent programs in the coming years...already started making some good moves this past year with good talent coming up; 49-18 over past 3 years.

You could name several from R3 over the past 5 years...Region 3 is the hardest region to get out of in VB & GBB, in my eyes:
Kidder County (94-22; .810)
Carrington (92-29; .760)
LaMoure-LM (93-30; .756)
Linton-HMB (85-32; .726)
Medina/Pingree-Buchanan, Oakes & E-K-M all with over .600 winning %

Might need to consider Four Winds-Minnewaukan (93-24; .795) over past 5 years...just can't get past LEM.

Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood is 99-27 (.786) over past 5 years...region is just dominated by Rugby.

Bowman County & Hettinger-Scranton both are over .700 for past 5 years

Trenton's run is over in my opinion but they had a couple solid years in there (99-23 over past 5 years)
Kenmare has had a solid last 4 seasons...

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:14 am

I tried to ignore the fact that Shiloh may have kids like Quam come into the program. I just tried to look at the results. I also tried to find programs that have been successful through more than one good group of kids, like a North Star. That might exclude CC.

Region 3 seems to have a lot of good teams but rarely a team that can compete for a state title. The Medina team a few years ago is the exception. That is quite the run by KC IMO. I had no idea they were that successful.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:34 am

I have a document for 5-year and 10-year record totals…probably will go up on the website I am working on later

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:54 pm

Flip wrote:I tried to ignore the fact that Shiloh may have kids like Quam come into the program. I just tried to look at the results. I also tried to find programs that have been successful through more than one good group of kids, like a North Star. That might exclude CC.

Region 3 seems to have a lot of good teams but rarely a team that can compete for a state title. The Medina team a few years ago is the exception. That is quite the run by KC IMO. I had no idea they were that successful.

IMO Kidder and Carrington have much much better “programs” than Shiloh. I’m definitely bias against Shiloh tho so my thinking might be skewed. When I think of programs I think of those coaches putting in time and effort from Elementary-High school to build something. Not just waiting for the next All-Stater to move in.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby mg7622 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:56 am

disappointed in this thread. There is a big difference between "best" programs and "winning est" programs
mg7622
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:12 pm

mg7622 wrote:disappointed in this thread. There is a big difference between "best" programs and "winning est" programs

Care to add your two cents?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby muley14 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:43 pm

I think Carrington and Thompson are at the top of the list, if you want to get multiple classes through the program. They have had some very good players come through but they do more with their talent than some of the others. I think those are two of the best coaches around. They always improve through the year.

I think many of the others are dominated by a great player or a class or two that keeps them towards the top of our short term memories. Still good teams but coaches build programs.
muley14
NDPreps Starter

Postby mg7622 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:37 pm

Flip wrote:
mg7622 wrote:disappointed in this thread. There is a big difference between "best" programs and "winning est" programs

Care to add your two cents?

I would say a great or "best" program does atleast 4 things.

Has good leadership, from coaches to captains to administrators

Provide a good and structured learning experience for kids while they are in that program

Compete to best of the teams ability by working hard. This can be a team that may only be a 4 win team that wins 8. Or a 2 win team that competes in most games and gives those favorites a scare.

It has culture. The kind where kids wanna be a part of the team regardless of their role.When the kids wanna be there that's when good memories and habits are made.

Of course there is other things but that's just my 2 cents. I just don't believe you gotta win the region or 20 games or a couple state championships in order to be considered a great program. It certainly helps, but only if those kids leave the program with good lessons of hard work and team work learned from it to give that positive experience.
mg7622
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:07 pm

mg7622, what programs do you feel are getting the most out of their kids, competing every night, but might not be in the region championship every year?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby mg7622 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:12 pm

Wilton would be one in that category, they finally got to state two years ago but outside of that they were a tough team regardless of record that competed in alot of games, and have been well coached. New England would be a school I would say has had a good program that just hasn't got big region tournament wins- they've had losing seasons but some big upsets over the years, and I think the wins are gonna start coming for them as the town has grown. Hatton Northwood would be another that seems to be in a good place with good culture and program.
mg7622
NDPreps Rookie

Return to Girls