State Class B Touranment

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: State Class B Touranment

Postby east sider » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:47 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
GOPACKGO!!! wrote:Well, the Wilton/Wing Skyhawks didn't have enough to make the ship. Maybe if they recruit another top prospect in the state they'll be able to put it together in 2023. :D

I'm sure the Skyhawk boosters are already working on that. It's quite the coincidence how many times that has happened at Shiloh over the years.

Ima just leave this here: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hig ... r-4-years/
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby Aces » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:25 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:As someone who didn't have a rooting interest but just watched because I love basketball, I thought it was a fairly meh state tournament. Hardly a competitive game in the tournament and total domination by the top two teams until one got dominated by the other in the championship. I suppose when you have two division one athletes like that though it is bound to happen at least a few of the games. Great season by Kindred, definitely deserved that one. They have to be one of the best class b teams in recent memory if not ever.

On a side note....this is the type of tournament that makes me question if we should go top teams in and get rid of the geographical region auto bids. The three west schools (minus Shiloh who is a private) lost in the first round by an average of 35 points. Central Cass, Thompson, Four Winds, and LaMoure would have all faired much better IMO but that is the way the cookie crumbles I suppose. Proposal - have a 12 team tourney with the top 4 seeds getting buys (8 region winners get in and 4 at large). Seeded teams have to come from the region winners and the region winners get a home game vs. the at large teams (play in game style).

DWG - I agree with the 12. I actually proposed this in a different thread. 8 from Regional birth + 4 from QRF (must be within top 16). Ranked for tourney by QRF with top 4 receiving a bye. First-round games are held either at higher-ranked seed or strategically placed "regional, mid-point" sites. As an example, using boy's basketball - say South Border and North Border play each other first round. Then either game would be at NB or a regional mid-point, such as Valley City or Devils Lake.

This would require some additional coordination. All regional games should be completed by Thursday of the week prior and then these First Round games would be played either Monday or Tuesday. My preference is Monday to allow students at least two nights in their own beds that week. This also avoids the "Big East" style tournament of playing 4 games in 4 days.

This really only makes sense if the state doesn't go to a three-class system. Moving to a three-class system probably eliminates the discussion for 12-teams, at least the first few years.
Aces
NDPreps Rookie

Postby defensewinsgames » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:46 pm

Agreed. My preferred solution would be the 3 class. You move to that and Kindred, Grafton, Beulah, Langdon, and Shiloh would be in the middle class based on most plans I have seen. State tourney at both levels would likely be more competitive. Class A girls is teams like: Kindred, Grafton, Four Winds, Central Cass, Langdon, Devils Lake out east and Beulah, Bowman County, Shiloh, New Town, and Rugby out west. Class B girls probably would have been teams like: Richland, Cavalier, LaMoure, Linton, Kidder County, Benson County, Garrison, Mohall, Glen Ullin, Kenmare (based on teams records after you pull out the Class A teams).

I would be a lot more excited about that group of teams in both of those state tournaments then the one we had this year. Can't tell me those small towns don't show up in big way and sell out another state tournament for Class B. Games at both levels are likely much more competitive. Give an opportunity to experience success to those small schools which might help with participation/numbers/keep them all from co-oping to avoid getting killed by top schools.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:58 pm

Agree with a previous poster that it wasn't a great tournament.
I think this is one of the best Class B teams ever. I never really watched the 2015 Ryan team. How does the 2022 Kindred team compare?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:06 am

I don't agree with expanding the field so more burbs get into the State B. You have your shot and if you don't make you don't make it. The domination of the large towns should help push for a 3 class system but even after you create that your still going to have the larger schools making trips more frequently. It's just going to be a different group of teams. I don't think we need to break it down like HS football though so that everyone get a participation trophy, and it sounds like they want another class. :roll:
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:08 am

Flip wrote:Agree with a previous poster that it wasn't a great tournament.
I think this is one of the best Class B teams ever. I never really watched the 2015 Ryan team. How does the 2022 Kindred team compare?

I think they both would be pretty equal. Both were great teams led by D1 athletes and some talented supporting players.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:42 am

Anyone else disappointed by the Senior Player of the Year award ceremony? I thought all 8 regions should have been recognized and then the final award given. Those players deserve to stand out there in front of the crowd.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:05 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Anyone else disappointed by the Senior Player of the Year award ceremony? I thought all 8 regions should have been recognized and then the final award given. Those players deserve to stand out there in front of the crowd.

Yes and they announced is while Abby was in the middle of taking her all-tournament team picture.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:36 am

and maybe I am a little old school respect the game and support your team but since when can your student section Boo the other teams warming up and boo when the starters are announce and boo and screw when the other team is shooting at the line? Grafton needs to be checked... oh wait I guess they did get checked..... I should have been by 30 but the ref's decided to get things back to 10 points at the end of the 3rd quarter...I thought we were watching a NFL game for about 3 minutes.

And yes... I don't get these coaches pressing until they get up by 40... what are you teaching your kids as far as basketball skills....Boy my team is good... they can shoot layups. When you get up by 20 .... work on a half court trap... work on a zone you might need..... stop running... run some plays... use the game as teaching tool to get better.
Yes CC was classless at the region 1 3rd place game.... those games are supposed to be fun for the seniors to get some shots up and play....
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:30 am

As long as we are on the things that didn't jive well, I'll add the SC bench during the national anthem before the 3rd and 4th place game. I wasn't there, watched in TV, both times they showed the team/bench the kids were laughing and giggling. Drives me nuts. I know, kids will be kids, but respecting the flag/anthem is one area I don't have a pile of tolerance for.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:32 am

This was one of the most boring State Class B tournaments in years. You pretty much knew who was going to win each game by half time. Kindred is a tremendously talented team so you can't blame it on them. But the big school's beating up on the small schools was on full display in this tournament. This tournament should be a catalyst to push for a 3 class system. I believe the State B Boys will be pretty much the same story. Unfortunately the 3 class proposal from Sheyenne HS is 95% to help the biggest schools in the state and does very little for the small schools in the state. Schwab's plan on another post on ND Preps is a well thought out plan, is it perfect, no, but it is light years better than what we have now.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:40 am

maddog1971 wrote:and maybe I am a little old school respect the game and support your team but since when can your student section Boo the other teams warming up and boo when the starters are announce and boo and screw when the other team is shooting at the line? Grafton needs to be checked... oh wait I guess they did get checked..... I should have been by 30 but the ref's decided to get things back to 10 points at the end of the 3rd quarter...I thought we were watching a NFL game for about 3 minutes.

And yes... I don't get these coaches pressing until they get up by 40... what are you teaching your kids as far as basketball skills....Boy my team is good... they can shoot layups. When you get up by 20 .... work on a half court trap... work on a zone you might need..... stop running... run some plays... use the game as teaching tool to get better.
Yes CC was classless at the region 1 3rd place game.... those games are supposed to be fun for the seniors to get some shots up and play....

Wait a second now, so you dont like if KIDS boo and screw around during a game and yell at team/offcials. But you think its perfectly fine for adults to do it, who do you think they are watching?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:47 am

The booing and sportsmanship all comes from what is allowed by the school and what is modeled by parents. I have never seen a real good student section with a bad set of parents/fans or vice versa. The kids will do what is modeled for them and what they are allowed to get away with.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:22 pm

packers21 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:and maybe I am a little old school respect the game and support your team but since when can your student section Boo the other teams warming up and boo when the starters are announce and boo and screw when the other team is shooting at the line? Grafton needs to be checked... oh wait I guess they did get checked..... I should have been by 30 but the ref's decided to get things back to 10 points at the end of the 3rd quarter...I thought we were watching a NFL game for about 3 minutes.

Wait a second now, so you dont like if KIDS boo and screw around during a game and yell at team/offcials. But you think its perfectly fine for adults to do it, who do you think they are watching?

*read this in Jeff Foxworthy's voice*

If you were at the game Saturday and think the only people booing were exclusively from Grafton, you might be a Kindred homer.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:43 pm

Nailed it!!! 100% agree on the booing, we all could of done without that. Refs will have a mistake or two but I agree about stopping calls on Grafton and calling things on Kindred to try and make it a closer game. #3 reached in and made body contact multiple times and it wasn't called in the 4th. Keep in mind these three officials are hand picked for the game, makes you wonder about how that process works.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby BelfieldBantams » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:52 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:Kinnerd wins by an avg. of 25 pts all three games

Who would have thought that you would have been off on the low side?

No idea where they fall in history against the other great teams, but this was one of the more dominant runs I can remember. Winning state by 28.6 ppg and winning regions by 36.6 ppg. And that's after playing just about every top team in the state during the regular season.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:13 pm

BelfieldBantams wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:Kinnerd wins by an avg. of 25 pts all three games

Who would have thought that you would have been off on the low side?

No idea where they fall in history against the other great teams, but this was one of the more dominant runs I can remember. Winning state by 28.6 ppg and winning regions by 36.6 ppg. And that's after playing just about every top team in the state during the regular season.

I would put this Kindred team at the top of the list along side those Minot Ryan teams as the top two teams in Class B Girls history. (I am getting old though and may have forgotten a few other teams.)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:49 pm

BasketballMind wrote:
packers21 wrote:

If you were at the game Saturday and think the only people booing were exclusively from Grafton, you might be a Kindred homer.

Grafton Boo'd every team. not just Kindred. And I did not say the calls did not go both ways because they sure did. I number of calls I was really confused with. You see the replay on the screen and it is very confusing... Yep...
Also I don't know if it was one of the Greatest teams ever but I will say that Abby is one of the Best if not the best Girls BBall I have seen in my 50 years. She can shoot inside and out... Defend with the best of them... Rebound.... Excellent passer on the fast break and in traffic. Get's everyone involved.... Very smart.... Someone gets knocked down on her team or the other... she runs over and picks them up. I don't know if she is the best but She gets my vote.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby bingobangobongo » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:20 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Grafton Boo'd every team. not just Kindred. And I did not say the calls did not go both ways because they sure did. I number of calls I was really confused with. You see the replay on the screen and it is very confusing... Yep...
Also I don't know if it was one of the Greatest teams ever but I will say that Abby is one of the Best if not the best Girls BBall I have seen in my 50 years. She can shoot inside and out... Defend with the best of them... Rebound.... Excellent passer on the fast break and in traffic. Get's everyone involved.... Very smart.... Someone gets knocked down on her team or the other... she runs over and picks them up. I don't know if she is the best but She gets my vote.

There are a lot of college basketball coaches that wish she never learned what a softball was. She must be ridiculously good at softball, or just loves softball that much more. It is crazy to me that she committed to Alabama as a freshman or sophmore for softball.
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:29 pm

She was ranked #41 in the Nation in Softball...so for someone from our area of the US...that's pretty darn impressive.

Alabama Coach on Abby: "Abby has been on our radar since she was in eighth grade. We are so excited to sign our first young lady from North Dakota. She could be the best female athlete that state has ever produced!"
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:19 am

For the second time, I will defend CC in the 3rd-4th place game. The pressed in the 1st quarter, put on sporadic man-to-man pressure in the 2nd (some hard-nosed, some not), and never pressed at all in the second half. There were a couple of double-teams late in the game when Richland was in their half-court offense that were unnecessary, but I doubt that it was from instructions from the bench.

The score got out of hand because CC shot 50% on 3s, not because they were pressing. Do you want them to miss in purpose?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:28 pm

vikingman wrote:For the second time, I will defend CC in the 3rd-4th place game. The pressed in the 1st quarter, put on sporadic man-to-man pressure in the 2nd (some hard-nosed, some not), and never pressed at all in the second half. There were a couple of double-teams late in the game when Richland was in their half-court offense that were unnecessary, but I doubt that it was from instructions from the bench.

The score got out of hand because CC shot 50% on 3s, not because they were pressing. Do you want them to miss in purpose?

:lol: I agree, they shot extremely well, but keep defending because with 2min left in the game Richland put their JV kids in and CC rotated a group of starters onto the floor. CC had kids with warmups on after the game that could of played. Anyone can go back and watch film on what happened. CC was up 50 points! I just kept thinking no matter how bad you beat those kids you still lost and your still playing for a 3rd place trophy. CC girls didn't have the drive this year and you could see that on the first night of Regionals.

Next year CC should have a walk in the park to return to state so I'm sure you'll be happy again.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:58 pm

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
Next year CC should have a walk in the park to return to state so I'm sure you'll be happy again.

Really? I still think NC and Kindred are going to be really good.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:07 pm

Flip wrote:
GOPACKGO!!! wrote:

Really? I still think NC and Kindred are going to be really good.

Northern Cass will be a quality competitor for CC...both lose key seniors but NC proved this year that they can compete with CC. Kindred underclassmen got plenty of playing time this year...they'll just have to get used to no Johnson or Duchscherer...which will take some time. Sadly though, I'm not sure I see any other teams competing with those 3 next year
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:38 pm

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
vikingman wrote:For the second time, I will defend CC in the 3rd-4th place game. The pressed in the 1st quarter, put on sporadic man-to-man pressure in the 2nd (some hard-nosed, some not), and never pressed at all in the second half. There were a couple of double-teams late in the game when Richland was in their half-court offense that were unnecessary, but I doubt that it was from instructions from the bench.

:lol: I agree, they shot extremely well, but keep defending because with 2min left in the game Richland put their JV kids in and CC rotated a group of starters onto the floor. CC had kids with warmups on after the game that could of played. Anyone can go back and watch film on what happened. CC was up 50 points! I just kept thinking no matter how bad you beat those kids you still lost and your still playing for a 3rd place trophy. CC girls didn't have the drive this year and you could see that on the first night of Regionals.

Yes, CC had a few players that never got in to the game, but by the start of the 2nd period, they had played 10 players, and at least 12 before the end of the third quarter. No player played 23 minutes. None of the players on the floor for those last 2 minutes started the game (although 2 were usually starters during the season). i don't think putting in players 13, 14 and 15 for the final 2 minutes would have made the game much closer.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Girls