State Class B Touranment

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: State Class B Touranment

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:51 am

prior to yesterday Scherr was was 2-4 in the first round. He was the higher seed in all six games.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:57 am

sportsphenom wrote:I will add a #6 to your assessment, I have absolutely no respect for coaches that continue to press when up by 30.........

I'm probably 60-40 with you on this.

The 60: If you're referring to the team I think you're referring to, I don't think there's been a lot of respect for the game there for a while, and apparently that's accepted practice.

The 40: If I'm the coach, I have a tournament to think about, not just tonight. Sorry you gave me a weak team in a state tournament, but I want my players ready to run our game tomorrow in the semis.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsphenom » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:02 am

I don't have a problem with the starters still playing, they earned their right there. But when said team is up by 30 and the girls respectfully backed off only to see their coach up screaming for them to "get on them", I can not respect that.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:04 am

LEM was up 30 late in the 3rd and pressing, but I feel like you're talking about a different team.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsphenom » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:09 am

I didn't like either of them. I didn't like LEM's for the fact that MLS was already beat, not just by score, but mentally too. Kindred was up by 30 in the first half, there is no need to come out in the 3rd with a press and then to have your coach up yelling when you weren't pressing enough, just didn't sit well with me. But this is just my opinion.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby heimer » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:01 pm

Flip wrote:LEM was up 30 late in the 3rd and pressing, but I feel like you're talking about a different team.

I am, but I didn't see the LEM MLS game. It's possible it's a thing, but I'm reading some auto-hate for Rob Scherr in this thread, and I'm not buying into it.

Someone has an axe to grind. It's your thread.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby airmail » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:08 pm

heimer wrote:Thoughts after day one:
1) Oof.

Yep.

heimer wrote:Thoughts after day one:
3) It's one thing for a private school to make it in. It's another when they have a transfer as well.

Yep. I puked in my mouth a little bit.

sportsphenom wrote:I didn't like either of them. I didn't like LEM's for the fact that MLS was already beat, not just by score, but mentally too. Kindred was up by 30 in the first half, there is no need to come out in the 3rd with a press and then to have your coach up yelling when you weren't pressing enough, just didn't sit well with me. But this is just my opinion.

Yep. Yep.
(Although the latter shouldn't surprise anyone. Standard fare. More puke in my mouth.)
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:19 pm

heimer wrote:
Flip wrote:LEM was up 30 late in the 3rd and pressing, but I feel like you're talking about a different team.

I am, but I didn't see the LEM MLS game. It's possible it's a thing, but I'm reading some auto-hate for Rob Scherr in this thread, and I'm not buying into it.

Someone has an axe to grind. It's your thread.

I'm not sure what "auto-hate" is, but I don't dislike him. I have a lot of respect for him. I was throwing shade at the Park River parents just yesterday for wanting him gone and now all he's done is take LEM to five straight state tournaments. He was a very big reason why they beat Four Winds. Every coach I've spoken to has told me Four Winds was the far more talented team. His teams are always very disciplined.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby 3sportfan » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:00 pm

Is the current setup the tournament fans want to see or do we want to see the 8 "best" teams play it out, not sure how we decide that, but just curious and no I'm not from some town that's at home watching these other teams get blown out. I just think it would be really entertaining to watch 4 really competitive games for 3 days, just a thought. Sorry if this is not the appropriate place for this discussion.
3sportfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:15 pm

heimer wrote:
sportsphenom wrote:I will add a #6 to your assessment, I have absolutely no respect for coaches that continue to press when up by 30.........

The 60: If you're referring to the team I think you're referring to, I don't think there's been a lot of respect for the game there for a while, and apparently that's accepted practice.

The 40: If I'm the coach, I have a tournament to think about, not just tonight. Sorry you gave me a weak team in a state tournament, but I want my players ready to run our game tomorrow in the semis.

WELCOME TO REGION 1 GIRLS BASKETBALL!!! :lol: This is a region where we give coach of the year to a person who traps jv kids crossing the half court line with 2min left in the 4th quarter, with your starters, and your up by 50pts for a 3rd place trophy. :roll:

#1 Get rid of Coach of the year.
#2 Get rid of AD of the year.

This conduct doesn't only humiliate your competition but takes the desire to play the game out of the other team. Wonder why teams have athletes that could contribute and make their team better but choose to sit in the crowd. If this isn't a reason for a 3 class system I don't know what is. I can't tell you how much I love that the entire state is witnessing this conduct right now. I don't dislike either of these teams and wish them the best, but this conduct needs a discount double check.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:09 pm

I saw CC play against a completely overmatched team and they quit pressing in JV when they were up 8. This took less than a minute. They quit pressing very early in the 1st quarter of the varsity game too.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BelfieldBantams » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:27 pm

sportsphenom wrote:I don't have a problem with the starters still playing, they earned their right there. But when said team is up by 30 and the girls respectfully backed off only to see their coach up screaming for them to "get on them", I can not respect that.

First of all, I completely get where you are coming from, but these teams have deserved the right to be there. They play a style that a lot of Class B teams are not able to play and their entire team has bought into that style. You want to make the case for a third class, here's a great case, but that's a different story.

But I am also in the boat that these coaches are there to hopefully win 3 games. Which means they will probably have to play a full game at some point. Every game that Kindred has played since February 1st has been running clock. To LEM's credit, they have had plenty of close games lately so that hasn't been as big of an issue. But these teams still need to practice their craft and what better time than during games where the other team hasn't seen that style time after time.

It would be interesting to see what the top 3 seeds did for subbing starters out of the game. I didn't pay attention to that, but it will be interesting which teams have the most legs left to finish these 3 games in 3 days.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:02 pm

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
heimer wrote:

WELCOME TO REGION 1 GIRLS BASKETBALL!!! :lol: This is a region where we give coach of the year to a person who traps jv kids crossing the half court line with 2min left in the 4th quarter, with your starters, and your up by 50pts for a 3rd place trophy. :roll:

#1 Get rid of Coach of the year.
#2 Get rid of AD of the year.

This conduct doesn't only humiliate your competition but takes the desire to play the game out of the other team. Wonder why teams have athletes that could contribute and make their team better but choose to sit in the crowd. If this isn't a reason for a 3 class system I don't know what is. I can't tell you how much I love that the entire state is witnessing this conduct right now. I don't dislike either of these teams and wish them the best, but this conduct needs a discount double check.

I thought SC coach should have gotten R1 Coach of the Year...to finish 4th. You knew K & CC were going to be there in the end at the Top. SC won some big Region games to be #4.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:57 pm

YES! Totally agree.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:38 pm

sportsphenom wrote:I thought SC coach should have gotten R1 Coach of the Year...to finish 4th. You knew K & CC were going to be there in the end at the Top. SC won some big Region games to be #4.

I can agree with that, they had a nice year.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:00 pm

Better games today, except for the last one.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:01 pm

Well, the Wilton/Wing Skyhawks didn't have enough to make the ship. Maybe if they recruit another top prospect in the state they'll be able to put it together in 2023. :D
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:21 pm

Sportsrube wrote:Better games today, except for the last one.

The last one was solid for about 2.5 quarters...then it snowballed for Shiloh.

Kindred/Grafton...just how most people predicted.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:42 pm

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:Well, the Wilton/Wing Skyhawks didn't have enough to make the ship. Maybe if they recruit another top prospect in the state they'll be able to put it together in 2023. :D

I'm sure the Skyhawk boosters are already working on that. It's quite the coincidence how many times that has happened at Shiloh over the years.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:44 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
GOPACKGO!!! wrote:Well, the Wilton/Wing Skyhawks didn't have enough to make the ship. Maybe if they recruit another top prospect in the state they'll be able to put it together in 2023. :D

I'm sure the Skyhawk boosters are already working on that. It's quite the coincidence how many times that has happened at Shiloh over the years.

and yet, every private school gets blamed because one of them is doing it regularly. Some are losing kids or staying neutral in enrollment because they cost way more for a year than a college :lol:

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:17 pm

Two good games this afternoon. MLS has got to be asking themselves "what if"? Unfortunate injury for them.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Dakotastater » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:34 am

hoophoophoop wrote:Kinnerd wins by an avg. of 25 pts all three games

Close, but no cigar. The actual average margin was just under 30. One of the most dominating performances, at least for class b girls, at a state tournament.
Dakotastater
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:08 pm

As someone who didn't have a rooting interest but just watched because I love basketball, I thought it was a fairly meh state tournament. Hardly a competitive game in the tournament and total domination by the top two teams until one got dominated by the other in the championship. I suppose when you have two division one athletes like that though it is bound to happen at least a few of the games. Great season by Kindred, definitely deserved that one. They have to be one of the best class b teams in recent memory if not ever.

On a side note....this is the type of tournament that makes me question if we should go top teams in and get rid of the geographical region auto bids. The three west schools (minus Shiloh who is a private) lost in the first round by an average of 35 points. Central Cass, Thompson, Four Winds, and LaMoure would have all faired much better IMO but that is the way the cookie crumbles I suppose. Proposal - have a 12 team tourney with the top 4 seeds getting buys (8 region winners get in and 4 at large). Seeded teams have to come from the region winners and the region winners get a home game vs. the at large teams (play in game style).
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby east sider » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:20 pm

I personally thought this was one of the hardest state tournaments to watch. What was the closest game in the winners bracket? Don't think there was one game in single digits.

Top 2 teams made it to the Ship but what a let down. Either Grafton got out coached, out executed, or both. Way too many mismatches down low for Kindred bigs throughout the game. On O didn't get Demers enough touches down low.

Hats off to Kindred. They have the best player in the state (bummed we won't get to see her play college bal), probably another top 10 player in the state, and some really hard working and talented role players that would stand out on most other teams. They played their game and exploited mismatches well all year. One of the best teams in state history up there with Minot Ryan a few years ago.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:22 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:As someone who didn't have a rooting interest but just watched because I love basketball, I thought it was a fairly meh state tournament. Hardly a competitive game in the tournament and total domination by the top two teams until one got dominated by the other in the championship. I suppose when you have two division one athletes like that though it is bound to happen at least a few of the games. Great season by Kindred, definitely deserved that one. They have to be one of the best class b teams in recent memory if not ever.

Ha, We sound like the same person who just posted back to back under different names.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls