State Class B Touranment

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: State Class B Touranment

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:53 pm

I don't think the point is that playing players 13, 14, 15 would make the game at lot closer. The point is when you are up by 50 why not play those girls instead of 1 through 6. Isn't getting them experience more beneficial your program more than the top 5 running up the score anyway? It is just a real bad look when you lose a game that many thought you should and then the next game you win 91 to 36 and the starters are in running "sporadic man to man pressure and double teams that weren't necessary."

This idea that it should be defended and is ok is the reason all of the small schools want those schools gone to a third class.............you don't have to prove you are 40, 50, 60, or 70 points better than a school with fewer kids in high school than you in one class. Do you sleep well at night knowing you didn't play all of your kids in the final game but won by almost 60? I would contend that is almost as unfair to those girls who didn't play as the other team. Does it make you feel good to see how high we can get the scores regardless of if it runs opposing athletes out of the sport? Why are volleyball numbers ok and basketball so bad? Because this is such a huge problem in this sport. We get it the massive class b schools, privates, and Fargo/GF satellite town schools are awesome and can totally dominate the towns of 300 people whenever and however they want. CONGRATULATIONS, HAVE A COOKIE!
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:59 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:I don't think the point is that playing players 13, 14, 15 would make the game at lot closer. The point is when you are up by 50 why not play those girls instead of 1 through 6. Isn't getting them experience more beneficial your program more than the top 5 running up the score anyway? It is just a real bad look when you lose a game that many thought you should and then the next game you win 91 to 36 and the starters are in running "sporadic man to man pressure and double teams that weren't necessary."

This idea that it should be defended and is ok is the reason all of the small schools want those schools gone to a third class.............you don't have to prove you are 40, 50, 60, or 70 points better than a school with fewer kids in high school than you in one class. Do you sleep well at night knowing you didn't play all of your kids in the final game but won by almost 60? I would contend that is almost as unfair to those girls who didn't play as the other team. Does it make you feel good to see how high we can get the scores regardless of if it runs opposing athletes out of the sport? Why are volleyball numbers ok and basketball so bad? Because this is such a huge problem in this sport. We get it the massive class b schools, privates, and Fargo/GF satellite town schools are awesome and can totally dominate the towns of 300 people whenever and however they want. CONGRATULATIONS, HAVE A COOKIE!

A prime example of why we need competitive balance in our high school athletics. A 3 class system will do that.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:05 pm

actually, I've never seen much point in clearing the bench for the last minute or two of a game. It usually ends up being a total fiasco with that many young kids in together. Even more pointless is putting in subs for the final 30 seconds when all they do is dribble out the shot clock. If you're trying to get them some experience, why not have them run a play and try to score (except that you would offend the other team).

Much better to keep a couple of at least somewhat experienced players on the court to settle things down and guide the other three.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:09 pm

Why not play them in the 3rd quarter when you are winning by 50 mixed in with your other varsity players? Why not give them the entire 4th quarter to learn and grow together as one unit? Don't understand that argument - it is pointless to play inexperienced players because it is a fiasco....how do they then get experience? Run all the plays you want for them in the 3rd quarter and then they get their experience and it doesn't "offend the other team"
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:10 pm

relax people...wow! You've made your point...I bet the coach probably may have some regrets about how that game went but we don't know that because we aren't him or know him. The 3rd place game really shouldn't be played anymore, honestly. Some coaches use it as a chance to play their seniors one last time...some use it as a chance to play everyone...some use it as a way to 'vent' after a tough loss.

It's hard to tell athletes to not play hard but that seems to be what many of you wanted Central Cass to do...not give their best. It was an absolute mismatch but both teams played the game hard.

No one had a problem with Central Cass when they beat Oakes 82-39 or HCV when they won 75-12 or when they beat Maple River 86-20
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:13 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:Why not play them in the 3rd quarter when you are winning by 50 mixed in with your other varsity players? Why not give them the entire 4th quarter to learn and grow together as one unit? Don't understand that argument - it is pointless to play inexperienced players because it is a fiasco....how do they then get experience? Run all the plays you want for them in the 3rd quarter and then they get their experience and it doesn't "offend the other team"

because I imagine the graduating seniors wanted to play more than 16 minutes.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:16 pm

That is false we all had a problem with those losses too but have just come to expect it from certain schools. That is why there is so much outcry for the 3 class system. It happens so frequently you can't possibly pitch a fit about it every time. I also struggle with the "the coach probably may have some regrets" when you then point out it has happened many other times during the season - clearly no regrets.

Ultimately we all have choices to make and then have to deal with the outcome of them. You do that then you have to deal with people being upset about it, it's only fair.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:23 pm

Side Note: I want 3 classes too...but it's not going to get rid of games like this.

I also want NO MORE 3rd PLACE games...just do the Title game
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:17 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:I don't think the point is that playing players 13, 14, 15 would make the game at lot closer. The point is when you are up by 50 why not play those girls instead of 1 through 6. Isn't getting them experience more beneficial your program more than the top 5 running up the score anyway? It is just a real bad look when you lose a game that many thought you should and then the next game you win 91 to 36 and the starters are in running "sporadic man to man pressure and double teams that weren't necessary."

Totally agree. This should help the push for 3 classes, but I seriously doubt that will ever happen in my lifetime. The point about a number of girls not playing basketball, but playing volleyball is very real in our school. It didn't take much to predict the winner of most of the games in this tournament based on school size. (with Beulah being the exception)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:23 am

Well if you are kicking someone... and you want your starters to get time on the court.... play two starters with the JV players... develop your program. Do I hope that CC/Kindred/Grafton are actually down so their coaches can get the crap kicked out of them ..... YES... I don't wish it on the kids but the coaches yes. No reason to kill lesser teams in the regular season. I have no problem with them pushing in to 30 in tournament play but 40-50 in the regular season is dumb.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:03 am

Well that escalated quickly, good to see some passion in here!

Little fuel for the fire:

"The Patriots got off to a scorching start in their pursuit of a fourth state championship in five years, steamrolling their way into Friday's semifinals with a 101-51 win over Wahpeton. Century's 101 points are the most scored by a Class A girls basketball team in a game at the state tournament."

Well that was fun too watch......well maybe not. Did you really have to break 100? When I played, our coach wouldn't allow us to break 100. But I'm sure this is ok with vikingman, it's not their fault they shot so well against a weaker team, it's not their fault the bench could of won by 30. Are they really supposed to save the kids energy for day two? Kindred girls struggled on day two, looked really tired. As a Coach, that would of been the first thing I did, save the kids for day two. But I'm not, so I'll just keep watching.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:41 pm

I've thought for a long time Lynette is awful on the air. She literally can't complete a sentence without pausing. Is it possible she has a speaking disorder?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:55 pm

She just doesn't seem to get any better as the years go by. It can't be an easy job to do when you only do a few games each year, but after as many years as she's been doing it, you would think she would get more comfortable in that position. Cliches, 'young ladies', and stopping in mid-sentence over and over.

I'm also tired of TV announcers or streaming announcers trying to make a big deal out of it when a player picks up their 3rd foul with 4 minutes left to go in the game (Class A girls championship game), or saying that a person is in big foul trouble when they have 2 at half time.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:22 pm

vikingman wrote:I'm also tired of TV announcers or streaming announcers trying to make a big deal out of it when a player picks up their 3rd foul with 4 minutes left to go in the game (Class A girls championship game), or saying that a person is in big foul trouble when they have 2 at half time.

100%.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby 2livecrew » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:49 am

Flip wrote:
vikingman wrote:I'm also tired of TV announcers or streaming announcers trying to make a big deal out of it when a player picks up their 3rd foul with 4 minutes left to go in the game (Class A girls championship game), or saying that a person is in big foul trouble when they have 2 at half time.

100%.

I know this is the basketball board, but to add to all this, I feel the same way about state football. How many times can Bakken say "bully in the sandbox" and "slobberknocker" per quarter? I'd like to start a drinking game revolving around it, but I fear I'd be passed out by halftime.
2livecrew
NDPreps Rookie

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:13 am

Flip wrote:I've thought for a long time Lynette is awful on the air. She literally can't complete a sentence without pausing. Is it possible she has a speaking disorder?

Worst part was the guy they teamed her with didn't know anything about basketball, it couldn't get any worse for WDAY this year.

Where was Dom Izzo to save the day!?!?!
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Girls