General GBB Discussion

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: General GBB Discussion

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:33 am

defensewinsgames wrote:
ballernd wrote:
Flip wrote:
ballernd wrote:watched the end of the Cavalier/Thompson game. Wondering if they didn't realize they were down by 3 and decided to drive for a layup!! Didn't look like there was much communication from the sideline.

When I do situations in practice and that happens I ask my kids, "Do we feel better that we lost by 1 instead of 3."

I don't know what was said in the huddle so I'm not going to put blame on the coach.

Don't you play to win the game? I guess my view is doesn't really matter if you lose by 1 or 3. I would rather go for a chance to tie the game and send it into OT.

Let me preface this by saying yes they should have shot a 3 I totally agree. BUT devil's advocate there are times it might make sense to shoot a 2.....example a tie in region standing scenarios that come down to point differential. I would always play to win but if it is a 3 point game and you losing by less than 3 would keep you ahead of a team in the region I can see why you might shoot a layup. Again, I'm not saying I would be I can see why you might

This situation played out in region 7 on Saturday.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:48 am

I would be surprised if there was a year that it didn't play itself out at least in one region somewhere in the state. It just is almost never the top 2 or 3 teams so isn't talked a lot about. To me that is a really good and strategic piece of coaching to have that awareness of what is going on with standings, the tie breaker rules, etc. Takes a lot of awareness and forethought to be aware of it in the moment....means you have thought about it a lot that week. You play to win but if that can't happen, it is a brilliant job of coaching to know what you can do at that moment to help your team.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:02 am

The situation in region 7 decided the 1, 2 and 3 seeds. I guess I don't understand the mindset where a team would be happy to lose a game instead of trying to tie to force overtime for a chance to win the game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:02 am

To be clear that was not the situation in Thompson.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:05 am

Flip wrote:To be clear that was not the situation in Thompson.

I should have bolded the part of the reply I was referring to. The situation that played out was a team was down by 3 with the ball, were told not to shoot the ball or turn it over. Losing by 3 gave them the region 1 seed (although that plan was almost foiled by the last regional game last night.)
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:56 am

The Schwab wrote:

I should have bolded the part of the reply I was referring to. The situation that played out was a team was down by 3 with the ball, were told not to shoot the ball or turn it over. Losing by 3 gave them the region 1 seed (although that plan was almost foiled by the last regional game last night.)

Wouldn't losing by 1 or perhaps tieing and winning the game in OT also give them a #1 seed? I just can't see how losing by 3 would be most beneficial.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:08 pm

If you play it out, you probably don't score, foul, and lose by more than 3 points.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:10 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Wouldn't losing by 1 or perhaps tieing and winning the game in OT also give them a #1 seed? I just can't see how losing by 3 would be most beneficial.

I believe the magic tie breaker number was 7. I would assume they didn't want to risk going to OT and getting beat by more than 7
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:32 pm

The Schwab wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

I believe the magic tie breaker number was 7. I would assume they didn't want to risk going to OT and getting beat by more than 7

Yeah I suppose I could see how that scenario could come into play. I would still always want my team going for the win every game.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:33 pm

The Schwab wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Yeah I suppose I could see how that scenario could come into play. I would still always want my team going for the win every game.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BelfieldBantams » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:55 pm

I don't know what region this happened in, but was this a region where there was a big difference between the #1 and #2 seeds?

I personally wouldn't want my team to go into regions with that mentality where it is ok to lose. I would want them to keep fighting no matter what. Should be interesting to see how it plays out for that team.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:03 pm

BelfieldBantams wrote:I don't know what region this happened in, but was this a region where there was a big difference between the #1 and #2 seeds?

I personally wouldn't want my team to go into regions with that mentality where it is ok to lose. I would want them to keep fighting no matter what. Should be interesting to see how it plays out for that team.

Region 7 had a 3-way tie at the top of the standings where pt differential came into play. I'm guessing that's where this situation is coming from
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:15 pm

BelfieldBantams wrote:I don't know what region this happened in, but was this a region where there was a big difference between the #1 and #2 seeds?

Region 7, 3 way tie. Bowman was playing Glen Ullin Hebron. Third team tied was Beulah. If Beulah were to have lost last night to Mott-Regent (they won by 1), Bowman would have been the 1 seed. With the results last night GUH is the 1 seed, Beulah is the 2 seed and Bowman is the 3 seed.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:48 am

ndlionsfan wrote: Yeah I suppose I could see how that scenario could come into play. I would still always want my team going for the win every game.

I want my team to win every game too but in that situation are you willing to risk losing a region title by needing to lose by less than 3, shooting the three, missing the shot, fouling and losing the region 1 seed because of you lose by 4 or 5? I probably wouldn't be......One of those interesting moral dilemmas I suppose. No right or wrong just a matter of strategy....a lot like if you are up by three with 4 seconds left do you foul and let them shoot two free throws or allow them to take a running three.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:54 pm

Why am I not seeing the Region 4 Championship game on-line (or on radio, for that matter)?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:52 pm

I was looking through the teams on NDHSAA and I see Hankinson is now with Wyndmere-Lidgerwood. Is that seen as a long-term co-op or just until Hankinson's numbers rebound?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:06 pm

Just until Hankinson can get #s back up

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:04 pm

Was Kindred playing the Fargo South varsity or JV today? (shocking if it was their varsity)
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:01 pm

vikingman wrote:Was Kindred playing the Fargo South varsity or JV today? (shocking if it was their varsity)

Varsity

Fargo South is not very good, and Kindred is still good (especially if you aren't ready for their pressure).

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:05 am

I watched the Shiloh/Grafton game today. Shiloh looks good.

There are always upsets, but if all the favorites make it to state I think we would have a great state tournament.
R1 CC or Kindred
R2 Grafton or Thompson
R3 This will most likely be an unseeded team IMO
R4 Langdon
R5 Shiloh
R6 Rugby
R7 I'll guess an unseeded team
R8 Kenmare
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:09 am

Don’t sleep on Central McLean out of R5…

St. John also very good could push Langdon in R4

EKM knocked Langdon on Friday

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:47 am

WalkingStick wrote:Don’t sleep on Central McLean out of R5…

EKM would make for a nice team at state and I did see CM returns a lot of kids off of a 20-4.

I'm not insinuating those are the teams that are 100% making it to state I'm saying I would enjoy seeing the best of the best with no upsets. Maybe other teams will show they're better than the teams I mentioned.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:30 pm

Flip wrote:I was looking through the teams on NDHSAA and I see Hankinson is now with Wyndmere-Lidgerwood. Is that seen as a long-term co-op or just until Hankinson's numbers rebound?

The hope in Hankinson is to get the girl's numbers back up in a couple of years, but time will tell. They had 0 Jr's last year, and last year's entire Sophomore class quit. A variety of reasons were given but it all boils down to not wanting to put in the work, and not being able to compete against the big B's. So, the Hankinson girls BB program is basically forced to Co-op for a few years to see what happens. They have 1 freshman Hankinson girl out for varsity ball on WLH, but will probably mostly play JV ball for this years Co-op.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:17 pm

Flip wrote:I watched the Shiloh/Grafton game today. Shiloh looks good.

There are always upsets, but if all the favorites make it to state I think we would have a great state tournament.
R1 CC or Kindred
R2 Grafton or Thompson
R3 This will most likely be an unseeded team IMO
R4 Langdon
R5 Shiloh
R6 Rugby
R7 I'll guess an unseeded team
R8 Kenmare

WalkingStick wrote:Don’t sleep on Central McLean out of R5…

I didn't give a few teams enough credit. MPCG obviously. St. John had a great win vs Bottineau. Oakes and Carrington with good wins too. District 5 has 3 teams that could win a game at the state tournament.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:00 am

Don't sleep on Northern Cass. I'd say they are co-favorites with CC to win R1. They won State in VB, so they have athletic bigs, good ball handlers, and they knocked out CC last year in the R1 semi finals. I expect them to be better this year than last year with no juggernaut like last years Kindred in the way this time. They are beatable but wouldn't be surprised if they went undefeated in the region. Kindred lost their 3 best players so I'm not sold on them yet, either.

I'm less impressed with CC this year than in the past - they seemed to have peaked. It seems like the better teams are starting to figure out their style of play and CC doesn't know how to respond back to those adjustments. They are inconsistent in a half court setting and if the game is called tight I think they will struggle. I watched the 2nd half of the MPCG game and felt like they had more than a few calls go their way and still lost at home.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls