General GBB Discussion

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: General GBB Discussion

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:56 pm

Why would CC not play Horace varsity? Was not even a game.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:05 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Why would CC not play Horace varsity? Was not even a game.

Horace doesn't have a Varsity yet...they are a new school playing under a JV schedule with underclassmen; so I guess they did play Horace's top squad. They will be very good in a few years...right now their JV is near the top of the EDC JV standings

It was better than playing Larimore...who they were scheduled to play but had to makeup a game vs. Grafton; Grafton 79-18...so CC would have done about the same. It was a good test for Horace JV & a different team to play for CC. It's also better than losing a game on the schedule.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ballernd » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:36 am

Big Region 2 matchup tonight between Thompson and Grafton. What do we think?

Saw the Grafton vs Langdon score, before I would have taken Grafton but now I think Thompson.
ballernd
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:40 am

ballernd wrote:Big Region 2 matchup tonight between Thompson and Grafton. What do we think?

Saw the Grafton vs Langdon score, before I would have taken Grafton but now I think Thompson.

Grafton 10+atleast
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:21 am

Richland at CC tonite. I understand that the JV teams will only play 2 quarters. Participation problem?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:17 pm

leroybla wrote:Richland at CC tonite. I understand that the JV teams will only play 2 quarters. Participation problem?

Richland girls have been doing that all season. They do not have many girls out.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:26 pm

CC by 30
Grafton by 20

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:44 pm

ballernd wrote:Big Region 2 matchup tonight between Thompson and Grafton. What do we think?

If you look at common opponents Grafton has been better throughout the season. The Langdon game makes me believe Grafton is more beatable than I once thought. This game is a lot like the CC/Kindred game last week, it doesn't mean much. They're still going to be the top two seeds and it would have to be a huge upset to see either team not make the region final.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:54 pm

I'm going to say Grafton wins this one by 15 but I think that the rematch at regionals will be really good. Grafton will be grumpy and focused after a loss to Langdon. I think the first time you see Grafton's size it can be intimidating but I know Thompson and Grafton know each other well so maybe that won't be an issue. Plus it is in Grafton and the boys don't play so it should have a good attendance. I predict Grafton wins 60 to 45 tonight.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:04 am

Congratulations to the posters that thought Grafton would win by 10 or more. I didn't see that coming.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:05 am

Flip wrote:Congratulations to the posters that thought Grafton would win by 10 or more. I didn't see that coming.

I think we’ll see a little closer if they meet in regions but grafton is clearly at least a 15 point favorite

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:05 am

Grafton dominated because of their size last night. I thought Thompson worked liked dogs but just really struggled to get anything off but a three without it getting blocked or them rushing it and basically throwing it up to avoid getting blocked. I'm not sure how they change that by the regional tournament. Grafton also had a stretch where they hit quite a few threes in about a 3 minute stretch so maybe if Grafton doesn't hit those and Thompson is on fire from outside it is close but I agree that Grafton is at least a 15 point favorite. I was hoping I was wrong and it would be a close game but my new prediction is that Grafton doesn't play a game within 20 points in the regional tournament. I would love a good regional tournament but I don't see it happening.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:49 pm

I really dont see it being much better of a game unless something drastic happens, dumarrs hurt or foul trouble.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby airmail » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:59 pm

I was really looking forward to this one, as many were. I thought Grafton had a decided advantage, but sure didn't expect a blowout!

It looked like Thompson had a game plan to limit touches by Demers - I thought they did that well for the most part. Unfortunately, they got destroyed by great shooting from the perimeter. I didn't think Grafton had that option (at least to the degree they showed, anyway) and I was dead wrong. I agree that THS was working hard too, but GHS passes were generally to very open players, allowing a much better shooting percentage as most shots were not really contested. THS usually hangs their hat on defense - it was just strange, IMO.

I still expect a rematch unless Hatton-Northwood can take advantage of an inconsistent Thompson squad. If they play again, Thompson HAS to figure out a way to penetrate with some legit playmaking and passing, drawing some fouls would help a lot. I saw nothing like I saw in their game versus Kindred last night, with some nice drives, dishes, and finishes in the paint. Everything in the paint seemed forced and desperate - that includes their passing as well. :shock:
Credit Grafton, of course, for having some part in that.
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:08 pm

WalkingStick wrote:CC by 30
Grafton by 20

I wasn't too far off with my predictions last night

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:10 pm

airmail wrote:I was really looking forward to this one, as many were. I thought Grafton had a decided advantage, but sure didn't expect a blowout!

It looked like Thompson had a game plan to limit touches by Demers - I thought they did that well for the most part. Unfortunately, they got destroyed by great shooting from the perimeter. I didn't think Grafton had that option (at least to the degree they showed, anyway) and I was dead wrong. I agree that THS was working hard too, but GHS passes were generally to very open players, allowing a much better shooting percentage as most shots were not really contested. THS usually hangs their hat on defense - it was just strange, IMO.

I still expect a rematch unless Hatton-Northwood can take advantage of an inconsistent Thompson squad. If they play again, Thompson HAS to figure out a way to penetrate with some legit playmaking and passing, drawing some fouls would help a lot. I saw nothing like I saw in their game versus Kindred last night, with some nice drives, dishes, and finishes in the paint. Everything in the paint seemed forced and desperate - that includes their passing as well. :shock:

Well they had to double or dig on the post for a lot of it which when you play a zone defense is going to lead to some open jumpers. I don't think it was a lack of anything or poor defense, it was a coaching point and a game plan I think.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:25 pm

airmail wrote:I was really looking forward to this one, as many were. I thought Grafton had a decided advantage, but sure didn't expect a blowout!

I'm not convinced HN will be the #3 seed. They haven't played Cavalier yet and they're in the middle of playing MPCGFS for a 2nd time right now. They have a very bloated record.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:25 pm

Thompson def. Cavalier 50-49
MPCG def. Hatton-Northwood 56-45

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:42 pm

WalkingStick wrote:Thompson def. Cavalier 50-49
MPCG def. Hatton-Northwood 56-45

Makes me believe we have a chance of a non-Grafton/Thompson R2 champ next year.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ballernd » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:24 am

watched the end of the Cavalier/Thompson game. Wondering if they didn't realize they were down by 3 and decided to drive for a layup!! Didn't look like there was much communication from the sideline.
ballernd
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:32 am

ballernd wrote:watched the end of the Cavalier/Thompson game. Wondering if they didn't realize they were down by 3 and decided to drive for a layup!! Didn't look like there was much communication from the sideline.

When I do situations in practice and that happens I ask my kids, "Do we feel better that we lost by 1 instead of 3."

I don't know what was said in the huddle so I'm not going to put blame on the coach.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ballernd » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:44 am

Flip wrote:
ballernd wrote:watched the end of the Cavalier/Thompson game. Wondering if they didn't realize they were down by 3 and decided to drive for a layup!! Didn't look like there was much communication from the sideline.

When I do situations in practice and that happens I ask my kids, "Do we feel better that we lost by 1 instead of 3."

I don't know what was said in the huddle so I'm not going to put blame on the coach.

Don't you play to win the game? I guess my view is doesn't really matter if you lose by 1 or 3. I would rather go for a chance to tie the game and send it into OT.
ballernd
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:58 am

That's my point. If you work on that situation in practice and you don't coach your team you'll have a lot of kids that will take the two points. They can't think that far ahead. I usually let them screw up and then discuss why you don't want to shoot a two. I know it seems obvious, but kids don't get it.

Go back to the 2018 state semi-finals. Thompson did something very similar vs Killdeer. Shot a 2 near the buzzer when they were down 3.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:25 am

ballernd wrote:
Flip wrote:

Don't you play to win the game? I guess my view is doesn't really matter if you lose by 1 or 3. I would rather go for a chance to tie the game and send it into OT.

Let me preface this by saying yes they should have shot a 3 I totally agree. BUT devil's advocate there are times it might make sense to shoot a 2.....example a tie in region standing scenarios that come down to point differential. I would always play to win but if it is a 3 point game and you losing by less than 3 would keep you ahead of a team in the region I can see why you might shoot a layup. Again, I'm not saying I would be I can see why you might
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby airmail » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:20 pm

Flip wrote:I'm not convinced HN will be the #3 seed. They haven't played Cavalier yet and they're in the middle of playing MPCGFS for a 2nd time right now. They have a very bloated record.

Very true - I didn't realize what was truly going on in the region with schedules and records.

Flip wrote:Go back to the 2018 state semi-finals. Thompson did something very similar vs Killdeer. Shot a 2 near the buzzer when they were down 3.

Don't know if that was better or worse than what they did in the same game at the buzzer the following year. Ugg. Either way - really makes you wonder if the huddle plan is just plain flawed, or if the kids' heads are spinning with everything going on during that moment and they don't comprehend. In reality - probably a little bit of both. :wink: :shock:
airmail
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls