2020-2021 State B Girls Basketball Tournament

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2020-2021 State B Girls Basketball Tournament

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:52 pm

Wilbur wrote:I may have missed it on here, but can someone list the All-Tournament team as well as the Class B Coach of the Year and Senior Athlete?

Senior Athlete - Mackenzie Hughes
Coach of the Year - the Wilton-Wing coach

All tournament team. I can't get the image to load.
https://twitter.com/KMAV/status/1368408510640386057
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:31 pm

I still don't understand why the All Tournament Team could not come down and accept their award or why the Senior Athlete of the Year nominees could not come down and be recognized and the winner accept their award or why the Coach of the Year could not accept her award, but hundreds of fans were allowed to "storm" the court and mingle with the players for a long time after the game ended. That makes zero sense to me.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:54 pm

Don’t overthink it. It’s inexplicable. And we could keep adding to the list. We play a contact sport but we can’t shake hands afterward? Come on…

All things considered, I’m thankful that North Dakota is ahead of most of the country in terms of getting beyond the virus and back to normal.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby B-oldtimer » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:02 pm

The Schwab just about hit the nail on head with his points. Somebody asked what my solution to the problem something i have said we have needed for long time is third class but like Schwab said it will never happen at least until nobody is following high school sports for the small schools and that is coming pretty fast. The schools that should be in the middle class are ones that are playing regularly at state tournament and finishing in top of their regions year in year out. I can tell by most of you there is not lot of concern for small class b schools if they get to region tournament or state tournament but it does matter that's what generates the interest for average state person in the state because they like the story of small school struggle to get to the tournament. Its not how well the game is played but if its competitive and if there is some drama for schools getting to these tournaments and advancing. This creates the interest and what people talk about and will make them turn in to watch the game and read about the games. For the most part people on fan forums follow the game year around and its more about quality of the game and how the teams play and how good these players play but to common person who doesn't watch they want drama if the little David can win and as long as game seem competitive that's why they will follow the games. That's is why class b has held this fan following for years and larger class A has struggled and when Class A has had following its when one of the smaller class A teams is doing this in the state tournament. But now getting back to class b were loosing this because we just have these larger schools in each of region coming back year after year with exceptions of couple of regions. I was just reading how difficult it is to get media attention for high school sports this is part of it common person is just not following it because of what i explained above. I am trying to explain but its hard to do but you need the interest of nonfan its not how well the game is played but like say drama of underdog, and as long as competitors are closely matched because when its over they are going to have about same amount of interest as they had before. Also to make my point is middle class would play higher quality of basketball because of numbers, facilities, coaching and other advantages because their size but just like class A basketball few would be interested except serious fans in North Dakota like the number of people on this site. But like i have been trying to say in this long monolog is these small schools are really important if you want recognition for high school sport for basketball or its going to become sport followed by minority of people mainly those involved in the sport.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:56 pm

Bisonguy06 wrote:Don’t overthink it. It’s inexplicable. And we could keep adding to the list. We play a contact sport but we can’t shake hands afterward? Come on…

All things considered, I’m thankful that North Dakota is ahead of most of the country in terms of getting beyond the virus and back to normal.

True, at least the players get to play this winter. I have lost track of how many things the NDHSAA does (or doesn't do) that makes me shake my head and say "what the heck".
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:58 pm

Sportsrube wrote:I still don't understand why the All Tournament Team could not come down and accept their award or why the Senior Athlete of the Year nominees could not come down and be recognized and the winner accept their award or why the Coach of the Year could not accept her award, but hundreds of fans were allowed to "storm" the court and mingle with the players for a long time after the game ended. That makes zero sense to me.

Covid-19 broke everyone’s brain.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:39 pm

I just got done watching a video of a gal picking up drive thru coffee in California and being told, “I can’t hand you your coffee unless you’re wearing a mask. However I could hand you a mask, then hand you your coffee...”

The winter sports season began (delayed) when COVID-19 was at its peak in North Dakota. I didn’t mean to lead us down a path to take shots at the NDHSAA. I was looking at the much wider (and misguided) strategy of sheltering the young and healthy during a pandemic that targets the elderly. I’m willing to cut the NDHSAA some slack on the minor points, and again, thankful to live here in relative sanity.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:10 am

I was happy with the tournament and watched every game that was televised. Had to shake my head at a lot of the things that were eliminated due to COVID, but at the same time just glad they were able to play.

Grafton and CC were definitely the top teams in the tournament. They obviously have great programs, but it helps to have numbers and athletes, too. Add in Kindred and Thompson and you're going to see a lot of those teams at the top of their region and at state over the next decade.

Like Schwab, I don't know how they didn't have a few more players as unanimous selections. I think they nailed it for the MVPs, though. Those two ladies definitely deserved it.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby muley14 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:50 pm

Great tournament overall. COVID display of "look what we're doing" drove me crazy but more than out weighed by the fact the tournament happened.

Carrington was the biggest surprise to me. Coach had them playing their best at the end of the year. I think they really improved through the year.

I think the voters were most worried about making sure every team was represented for the all tournament team.
muley14
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:45 am

muley14 wrote:Great tournament overall. COVID display of "look what we're doing" drove me crazy but more than out weighed by the fact the tournament happened.

Carrington was the biggest surprise to me. Coach had them playing their best at the end of the year. I think they really improved through the year.

I think the voters were most worried about making sure every team was represented for the all tournament team.

Carrington is always playing their best at the end of the season, have been for 22 years. I think each team always has a representative on the all-tournament team.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:49 am

packers21 wrote:
Carrington is always playing their best at the end of the season, have been for 22 years. I think each team always has a representative on the all-tournament team.

Shiloh didn't have a representative in '19 and Watford City didn't have one in '18.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:50 am

Flip wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Shiloh didn't have a representative in '19 and Watford City didn't have one in '18.

Thanks
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Girls