Region 2 Scores, Discussion

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 2 Scores, Discussion

Postby BasketballMind » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:00 am

winner-within wrote:Totally Fine with any Teams playing anywhere...just play all the Games instead of Playing "Games" due to a Pandemic...........

From what I understand they're completely cleaning the gym in between the R4 and R2 games as well. It won't be a typical back-to-back as in normal years. Makes no sense to me. If they argue that it's because they're from a different part of the state and you're worried about spreading Tom Hanks disease, then the State Tournament is going to take a fort night.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:59 am

Ya I agree with BasketballMind. I believe getting rid of the 3rd/4th game had very little to do with Covid and more to do with how many people wanted it gone anyway. This just worked out as a convenient excuse to remove it, but I would not be surprised at all if it never came back.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:08 am

For as many times as I've read "it's all about the money" on this forum, dropping the 3rd/4th place game permanently would come as a surprise to many.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:42 am

defensewinsgames wrote:Thoughts on the region championship game? Does Thompson have a legitimate shot at taking down Grafton? Final score from when they played in the regular season was 75 to 54 back on 1/19.

I can't envision it.
Thompson would have to shoot very well, like ten 3's, and be very good on the defensive glass.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:15 pm

vikingman wrote:For as many times as I've read "it's all about the money" on this forum, dropping the 3rd/4th place game permanently would come as a surprise to many.

I think the reason most don’t like it is because we know it’s only for that reason. Players don’t care about playing in it, coaches don’t want to coach in it. You could start the championship at 7:00 PM, have more pomp and circumstance to it and make the night all about the championship game. 3rd/4th place game is just squeezing out as many extra nickels as possible and not about the players.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:26 pm

BasketballMind wrote:
vikingman wrote:For as many times as I've read "it's all about the money" on this forum, dropping the 3rd/4th place game permanently would come as a surprise to many.

I think the reason most don’t like it is because we know it’s only for that reason. Players don’t care about playing in it, coaches don’t want to coach in it. You could start the championship at 7:00 PM, have more pomp and circumstance to it and make the night all about the championship game. 3rd/4th place game is just squeezing out as many extra nickels as possible and not about the players.

I honestly can't think of a basketball player who wouldn't want to play in that game. For seniors, it's the last time to play in front of a high school crowd. Have asked many former players and all say 100% would want to play.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:46 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:

I honestly can't think of a basketball player who wouldn't want to play in that game. For seniors, it's the last time to play in front of a high school crowd. Have asked many former players and all say 100% would want to play.

Would much rather have like an all star game or skill competitions for the regional seniors who aren't playing in the title game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:53 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:

Would much rather have like an all star game or skill competitions for the regional seniors who aren't playing in the title game.

Are there better options? Perhaps. Initial point was, can't think of any player who wouldn't want to go out and play one last game. It shouldn't be about what we want, the fans want, the coaches want, it should be what the players want.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:55 pm

I used to have a "whatever" attitude towards the 3rd place game. I've changed my mind. It isn't great, but it is better than nothing, and I don't see it going away.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:05 pm

Flip wrote:I used to have a "whatever" attitude towards the 3rd place game. I've changed my mind. It isn't great, but it is better than nothing, and I don't see it going away.

My feelings as well.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:34 pm

Also most would not think of this but i remember it playing for 3 and 4th place as player winning the the third place game in your mind if the team that beat you in semi finals won the next night handily and you won handily you thought of yourself as playing for championship night before. It may not make sense but i do remember thinking that and knowing were close to winning the tournament. It also defined your season as you stood in the region or the district. The next thing it was one last chance to play a game and also for your parents and community especially if you were senior. The one last thought on this you brought home trophy something that was on display in your schools trophy case for people to see for years to come but if lost in first round there was nothing not even that showed played for chance to go to state. This was especially something big for the small schools where going to region tournament was accomplishment not like now for number of larger schools who make to into final rounds 60 to 70% of the time.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:46 am

I think if you ask the players and coaches, the vast majority of them would want to play a 3rd place game for a number of reasons that have already been stated by others.
I don't understand how they can't play a 3rd place game because of Covid, but they still allow fans to storm the court. Apparently social distancing doesn't matter if you have just won the Championship. But then it matters a few minutes later when the Senior Athlete of the Year Candidates can't come down on the floor, but then it doesn't matter again when the 2 teams can come and get their trophy, etc.......
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:36 am

Sportsrube wrote:I think if you ask the players and coaches, the vast majority of them would want to play a 3rd place game for a number of reasons that have already been stated by others.
I don't understand how they can't play a 3rd place game because of Covid, but they still allow fans to storm the court. Apparently social distancing doesn't matter if you have just won the Championship. But then it matters a few minutes later when the Senior Athlete of the Year Candidates can't come down on the floor, but then it doesn't matter again when the 2 teams can come and get their trophy, etc.......

Covid has broken people's brains over the last year and it's getting more frustrating by the day. Obvious questions by the average American will not be answered and we're all expected to just take what we're given.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:56 am

Grafton 63, Thompson 50

Thompson sweeps the SPOY and COY awards as McKenzie Hughes and Jason Brend take home the hardware. Congratulations to both of them. Grafton and Central Cass are probably on the collision course for the championship game, but we'll see how it goes. Grafton by all accounts should be the #2 seed despite Kenmare being undefeated. Grafton's only losses are to the two best teams in the state they can play, Central Cass and Kindred. Both of them were one possession games.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:46 pm

Any thoughts on the tournament seeding?

Grafton's half of the bracket is Grafton vs. Glenburn and Kenmare vs. Wilton-Wing
Other half is Central Cass vs. Hettinger Scranton and Carrington vs. Langdon

If I was Grafton I think I would be pretty happy with how the tournament bracket shook out but maybe someone knows something I don't.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:53 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:Any thoughts on the tournament seeding?

Grafton's half of the bracket is Grafton vs. Glenburn and Kenmare vs. Wilton-Wing
Other half is Central Cass vs. Hettinger Scranton and Carrington vs. Langdon

If I was Grafton I think I would be pretty happy with how the tournament bracket shook out but maybe someone knows something I don't.

I actually think CC has the easier side of the bracket. Seeding for me seems pretty fishy.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Girls